Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/25/2015 9:54:27 PM EDT
Hey gents, I have a colt M45A1 that is shooting consistently left of center will all shooters, and need to adjust the rear sight. I heard that a hammer and brass pucnch could damage the tritium, so I figured I'd do it the proper way.
Does anyone have a rear sight pusher that I could borrow? I could leave a "deposit" of some sort to assure you that I'm returning it. I just don't want to damage an expensive gun like this. Thanks!!
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 8:17:30 AM EDT
[#1]
just how far do you have to drift the rear sight? it can't be too much... can you post photos of your rear sight in the slide, as well as your targets? at what distances were you firing, and how far left on the target were the shots impacting?
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 11:40:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
just how far do you have to drift the rear sight? it can't be too much... can you post photos of your rear sight in the slide, as well as your targets? at what distances were you firing, and how far left on the target were the shots impacting?
View Quote

I dont have pics of the rear sight in the slide at the moments, but will have them shortly. I do have a picture of a target at 7 yards though. my girlfriend shot this group as the 1911 is a bit heavy for her (hence the elevation string) but her windage is dead on every time. My groups print in the same spot as hers do, off to the left. Neither of my other two 1911s (Colt 1991, sig emperor scorpion) print left, and are more or less dead center. I backed out to 17 yards yesterday on a torso target, and both me and experienced friend were shooting at the center "X" but all rounds where grouping on his left arm.

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 4:33:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Anyone? I mean I guess I could use a punch, but Ive heard that colt Novak sights can be tough to move, and can hurt the tritium vials.....any input?
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 5:08:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Anyone? I mean I guess I could use a punch, but Ive heard that colt Novak sights can be tough to move, and can hurt the tritium vials.....any input?
View Quote

A  brass punch is all I have ever used. tape the shit out of the slide incase the punch slips ,never busted the tritium yet.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 10:11:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Loosening the set screw should allow it to move without too much effort. Use a plastic tipped hammer to tap the sight after loosening the screw, which should jar it loose enough to move by hand. If it's tight, and you don't have a plastic tipped hammer, use a small wooden block or something similar to drive the sight out.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 3:30:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Might want to soak it in peanut butter blaster overnight so you can move it easier. I'd use a brass punch and brass hammer. And lots of tape.

Link Posted: 8/5/2015 11:23:31 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a JMT Sight Pusher you can borrow. Send me a PM.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top