Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/24/2015 9:55:38 AM EDT
Closing on a home in Katy on the 30th of this month. I am being told you get to choose your electric company / service provider? In Louisiana, you either have Demco or Entergy...you don't get to pick. Is one better than the other? I'm not aware of the company names in the Houston area.

Also, what are you folks doing for cable and internet? I wish Cox Communications was over there. I really don't want to get into a contract with DirecTV or Dish....would like to have a local provider that has good HD channels and fast internet. Are there any options or am i stuck with something like U-Verse.
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 10:00:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Fastest internet option will probably be Comcast.  I get 100mb down but I don't use their TV service.  We just use an antenna.

For electricity providers you can go to powertochoose.org and find the one with the lowest rate.  I usually do 9-12 month contracts.
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 11:31:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Uverse is great.  In Texas, if you live where tropical storms (Houston) and/or tornados are common, you will lose your satellite signal just when you want it most.
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 5:38:17 PM EDT
[#3]
I use Comcast for internet and cable.  Love them both.
I use Centerpoint Enery for electricity.  No complaints.
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 5:57:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks guys. I think Comcast is what I am looking for as far as TV / Internet.

Can anyone comment on their HD quality? I'm at TV snob.
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 11:09:49 AM EDT
[#5]

What part Katy?

I can fill you in on places to eat, etc.

Link Posted: 7/25/2015 12:44:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What part Katy?

View Quote

North of the interstate, close to Fry.

I've made several trips there so far and my fiance and I stumbled into 'Texas Borders' restaurant. Had a Louisiana feel to it and they brought gumbo for us to try. I knew right away the chef or owners were from LA. Looks like a few other good restaurants in that area. I'm a food snob, so fill me in.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 4:05:20 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I've made several trips there so far and my fiance and I stumbled into 'Texas Borders' restaurant. Had a Louisiana feel to it and they brought gumbo for us to try. I knew right away the chef or owners were from LA. Looks like a few other good restaurants in that area. I'm a food snob, so fill me in.

Thanks!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

What part Katy?

Thanks!

If you are a food snob, you will love the Houston area.  Especially if you haven't spent much time here before.  I have been all over the country, and I honestly don't think there is a better city in the USA for eating.

Katy area in particular, you will want to hit Lupe Tortillas for Mexican, also a place called El Jarrito on Highland Knolls that does good Mexican.  Texas Traditions on Highway Blvd in Old Katy has good traditional Texas grill food.  I also think they make a really good bowl of chicken and sausage gumbo.  There is a little family run Italian place on Fry south of the interstate called Roccos that has good Italian.  I'm a big fan of their marinara sauce.  It's a little sweeter than most places.  I also really enjoy a place called Marini's empanada house on Mason Rd.  Huge variety of empanadas, and usually a smoking ass hot Argentinian chic working the counter.

Once you start driving into Houston, the options are almost endless.  If you haven't ever been I would highly recommend Churrascos.  There are 3 or 4 locations in the city now.  It's a south American type menu.  They have the finest steak I have ever sunk my teeth into.  Thin cut filet marinated in chimichurri sauce that will knock your socks off.

Link Posted: 7/26/2015 2:41:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the eating options. Sounds good, can't wait to check them out. How about Perry's? I saw they have a location close to Memorial City. I've been to the one in the south (Clear Lake area) and that pork chop is phenomenal.
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 4:47:25 PM EDT
[#9]
I live around the Cinco Ranch Area around 99 south of I10 and I really enjoy, although the population is exploding. La Centerra is a cool area with lots of nice restaurants shops, and a few bars. There is a Perry's there as well.
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 9:59:17 PM EDT
[#10]

Perry's is pretty good.  If you have found the pork chop, I would say you have identified their best dish.

a-batt is correct on La Centerra.  Several good places in there.

There is a also a smaller version of La Centerra called Villagio at the corner of Peek Road and Westheimer Parkway that has some bars and restaurants.

If you enjoy hibachi, check out Atami on Mason Road.  I prefer it to the old standy of Benihana's.

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 8:36:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Lupe Tortilla in Webster is excwllwnt, Katy should be no different. Order the large house Margarita, you get a glass with a backup carafe, pretty good buy. I have become partial to dipping the tortilla in the beans vs the hot sauce. Favorite item has become the grilled Mahi Mahi, be careful with the Pico de Gallo can be extremely hot ! Unlike some cities in the north, if you go hungry here, you aint trying !
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top