Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/22/2015 4:35:44 AM EDT
Hey All,

I need some help and advice.

I finally saved up enough to get a bug out truck / 4x4 project truck and I'm "stuck"...

I purchased a 93 GMC 3/4 ton 4x4 pick up off a.Gov auction that my brother pointed me to with the understanding that my younger brother would help me pick it up in Bastrop and bring it back to Houston with his truck and trailer.  Before I bid, I made sure to double check with him if I bid and won, I had to pick it up and move it in a few days per Auction rules.   He said, "No problem we can use my truck to haul a trailer I will borrow.  Just pay the food, fuel, renew the tags on the trailer and pay to get my trailer light connection on my truck fixed and I'll be glad to help..."

After encouraging me to get this truck (he would like to use it to haul some surplus items he purchases too) he has now gone cold and now says he "has to work" and is "too busy"...

ANYWAY...   This now leaves me in the lurch needing to find a way to move the truck in the next several day.  

(A) Does anyone have either a tow truck (flatbed I guess due to  the 4x4) or a truck and flatbed trailer who'd like to make some $$$ helping me get her moved?

(B) if anyone has a recommendation for a tow service to use in case (A) doesn't happen.   The truck is just outside Bastrop (by Camp Swift) and I can take it to Houston (much preferred) or Austin as "Plan B"

The one day I have off is Monday the 27th or Friday the 24th.   If any one here can help, I will be glad to pay you for your expenses (food, fuel, mileage) and your time to help out.  

Thanks to Any & All for any helpful advice or assistance!

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 5:38:53 AM EDT
[#1]
You could always use a tow dolly and drop the rear driveshaft. Might be fairly cheap to rent a dolly if you have someone who can tow it for you.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 7:52:14 AM EDT
[#2]
You could try getting bids for transport on ship.com. I have moved a few cars that way.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 9:16:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You could try getting bids for transport on ship.com. I have moved a few cars that way.
View Quote

I have to be there to sign the papers to pick it up.  I thought about the tow dolly but I'm figuring the bolts on a 22 year old pick up just might have a tad bit of rust and I understand that the tires will hold air to drive up on a trailer or flatbed, but they are not highway condition...

Thanks!

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 10:20:27 AM EDT
[#4]
I once towed a gmc 1/2 ton on a u-haul trailer.  But I had a one ton dodge truck to pull it.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 12:08:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I have to be there to sign the papers to pick it up.  I thought about the tow dolly but I'm figuring the bolts on a 22 year old pick up just might have a tad bit of rust and I understand that the tires will hold air to drive up on a trailer or flatbed, but they are not highway condition...

Thanks!

BIGGER_HAMMER
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks!

BIGGER_HAMMER

Btw, looks like I missed an auto-correct there. The website is uship.com.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 5:15:40 PM EDT
[#6]
rent a truck from budget, uhaul or avis, then rent a car trailer and tow it
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 5:19:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Between the rent of a 3/4 ton pick and a trailer, might be cheaper to rent a roll back flat bed truck.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 5:51:31 PM EDT
[#8]
I think a fellow member is going to help out with his pick up and I've reserved a U-haul rental auto hauler trailer.  

Will be slow going, but slow & steady wins the race in the long run...

On return on Monday, I'll post pictures and After Action Report after Fo'ing....

Anybody have any good advice on things to look over on a 6.2 GM Diesel?  

I've ordered a new battery (800 CCA beastie!) but I'm new to Diesels, so any thing I should check over or attend to before cranking her up is Apreciated!

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 10:50:37 PM EDT
[#9]
VICTORY!!!!

I Fo'ed & Lived to Tell The Tale!

We Survived and brought the Great White Beast back in one piece!

I thought I was getting a ex-Forestry Service or Federal Bureau of Prisons K-2500 pick up...

Turns out I actually got a U.S.G.I, Diesel 4x4 CUCV with only 37K miles and running VERY well!

What surprised me is that every CUCV I've seen as been ex Army...

Well, seems things are more modern ...   "In The Navy..."  

Plus, it has Lift Points so if I get REALLY stuck in the muck, I can always call for a CH-47 and vertically extract!

Inside is basic .GOV spartan.   No A/C to make you drowsy in the 100 degree Texas summer this truck!

A HUGE THANK YOU to ARFCOM's own "TinyThief" who made it all possible!  

He volunteered his day and gladly towed that Big Truck on our rented U-haul trailer all the way back at breathtaking high speeds approaching almost 45 mph along I-10 with his Mighty Dodge V-6 RAM pick up!  He may joke that Asians drive slow, but hey it WAS a heavy load being towed right?

Darren, You are THE MAN for making this all happen!  It would not have come together without your kindness and assistance!

Now begins the regeneration to make bring her up to 100% and get her back on the road again!

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 10:58:41 PM EDT
[#10]
strangest Yota I've ever seen
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 11:01:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Very nice.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 11:12:56 PM EDT
[#12]
I'll be damned.... The Dodge did it

Glad it worked out and you got it home brother!!!
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 11:50:17 PM EDT
[#13]
" Darren, You are THE MAN for making this all happen! It would not have come together without your kindness and assistance! ". Should have known it would be one of my team members to help out when needed. Way to go Tiny.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 12:02:50 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
" Darren, You are THE MAN for making this all happen! It would not have come together without your kindness and assistance! ". Should have known it would be one of my team members to help out when needed. Way to go Tiny.
View Quote

Amen! Gotta love ARFCOM! Some very damn good people here!!
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 2:41:06 PM EDT
[#15]
that's a sweet rig, and (I can only assume) a jammin' deal on a low mileage diesel truck. Zombies and liberals won't stand a chance.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 9:43:15 PM EDT
[#16]
I was thinking it really needed THESE  to go Full FEMA - Jade Helm...

BIGGER_HAMMER

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 4:25:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

BIGGER_HAMMER

View Quote

Ballpark - roughly (and you don't have to answer if it is too personal ...)  

How much wampum should one have in the piggy bank to consider going this route?
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 9:13:08 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

BIGGER_HAMMER

Sent you IM

I am FAR from an expert, but I've done some research for a while from SteelSoldiers (great website for .MIL vehicles) So much depends on the subject vehicle.  A good one will need less work and cost, a bad one will bleed you dry...

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 10:00:22 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

I second the motion.

Dang cool truck, too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top