Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/17/2015 4:17:01 PM EDT
Looking for input from locals.  My wife and I will be breezing through Houston, Austin & San Antonio.  

- What would be recommended for lunch in Austin?  I've read about Franklin Barbeque but we can't wait 4 hours for brisket.  Touristy things to do?  We'll probably see the Barton Pool on the way out of town.  What else is worth seeing with limited time?

- What about the evening in San Antonio?  Places to eat, places to see?  We'll probably see the Alamo and River Walk.  What would be high on your list?

After that we're planning to camp a night in Big Bend and then head further west and up into NM to see Carlsbad.  

What do I need to know?  Flooding, Jade Helm, El Chapo and cobras on the loose.  What else should we see in Texas?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Link Posted: 7/17/2015 4:40:59 PM EDT
[#1]
For lunch in Austin, check out one of the food trailers. Quite a variety of different food, they are usually in groups so you can try different food.
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 5:15:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Breezing thrue Texas  hahahha

don't get any hippy dust on ya while visiting Austin..

evening time the Congress St Bridge bat colony fly off is pretty neat..

how old are you?
I am old but pretty sure 6th st is the place to be after dusk.
food
The Hightower
Barley Swine
Jack Allen's Kitchen
Franklin BBQ
Driskill Grill

Houston...see it in your review mirror..no longer Texas...
Space Center
Battleship Texas
LOTS of art museums and parks..
Grub?
the Breakfast Klub
Brennen's Houston
Del Frisco's
Ninfa's original on Navigation.

San Antonio
Alamo
River Walk
shliterbahan
visit a True and original Texas Ice House/Dance hall, Gruene
food..
Rosarios restaurant..
NOA at the culinary institution of America..
Mi Tierra Café y Panadería

Chef
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 5:40:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Looking for input from locals.  My wife and I will be breezing through Houston, Austin & San Antonio.  

- What would be recommended for lunch in Austin?  I've read about Franklin Barbeque but we can't wait 4 hours for brisket.  Touristy things to do?  We'll probably see the Barton Pool on the way out of town.  What else is worth seeing with limited time?

- What about the evening in San Antonio?  Places to eat, places to see?  We'll probably see the Alamo and River Walk.  What would be high on your list?

After that we're planning to camp a night in Big Bend and then head further west and up into NM to see Carlsbad.  

What do I need to know?  Flooding, Jade Helm, El Chapo and cobras on the loose.  What else should we see in Texas?

View Quote
Sounds like you have a good plan already. If there are bullet proof enclosures for the clerk in the convenience stores that you go into, leave immediately. Be aware of your surroundings.
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 6:16:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Don't know when your leaving, but the Traveling Vietnam Memorial Wall is in El Campo this weekend which isn't too far away from Houston and is on the way towards Austin.
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 6:36:47 PM EDT
[#5]
There is internet and beer at the Chisos Basin Lodge in Big Bend.  The night sky is spectacular.  We stayed at the lodge, but the chisos basin campground is right near by.  One guy said that they will let you, for a fee, shower in one of the rooms in the morning.

I don't think it's actual policy, but something to maybe ask about.
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 7:01:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Dinner in San Antonio and camping in Big Bend?  I hope your really mean you are staying in SA for the night, then headed to Big Bend the next day.... its 5+ hours from San Antonio to Big Bend.

After the Alamo, just walk a block over and go down on the River Walk and hit Rio Rio Cantina.  Not the absolute best, but the riverwalk atmosphere makes up for it.  But be warned it will not cool off much just because the sun goes down.
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 7:22:07 PM EDT
[#7]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Dinner in San Antonio and camping in Big Bend?  I hope your really mean you are staying in SA for the night, then headed to Big Bend the next day.... its 5+ hours from San Antonio to Big Bend.

After the Alamo, just walk a block over and go down on the River Walk and hit Rio Rio Cantina.  Not the absolute best, but the riverwalk atmosphere makes up for it.  But be warned it will not cool off much just because the sun goes down.
View Quote
Yes, staying in San Antonio for the night, Big Bend the following day.

Thanks for the suggestion on Rio Rio Cantina, this is the type of stuff I'm after.
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 7:26:25 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

For lunch in Austin, check out one of the food trailers. Quite a variety of different food, they are usually in groups so you can try different food.
View Quote
Food trailers sound like a good idea, thanks.  Where in the city would we find them or what's your recommendation?  

Link Posted: 7/17/2015 7:37:40 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Breezing thrue Texas  hahahha

don't get any hippy dust on ya while visiting Austin..

evening time the Congress St Bridge bat colony fly off is pretty neat..

how old are you?

<snip>Chef
View Quote

I'm 34.  Probably too old to hang out on 6th St.  Not staying for the night anyway.  Have they kept Austin wierd?  LOL

My Dad used to work in Texas and I traveled there a bunch but it's been almost 20 years.  This will be a refresher course for me in Mid/South Texas, first time for my wife.  We went through Amarillo last year on our way home from Colorado.

Thanks for the other suggestions, I'll look into them.
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 7:38:29 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Don't know when your leaving, but the Traveling Vietnam Memorial Wall is in El Campo this weekend which isn't too far away from Houston and is on the way towards Austin.
View Quote
We're leaving next weekend.

Link Posted: 7/17/2015 7:40:40 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

There is internet and beer at the Chisos Basin Lodge in Big Bend.  The night sky is spectacular.  We stayed at the lodge, but the chisos basin campground is right near by.  One guy said that they will let you, for a fee, shower in one of the rooms in the morning.

I don't think it's actual policy, but something to maybe ask about.
View Quote
That sounds pretty good.  I saw where some of the campsites in Big Bend were closed right now.  I'll look at Chisos Basin.

Link Posted: 7/17/2015 9:08:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Food trailers sound like a good idea, thanks.  Where in the city would we find them or what's your recommendation?    
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They are quite a few on South First, South Congress. What kind of food do you like or want to try? On Monday or Tuesday I'll do a drive by that area and let you know what is down there.
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 9:13:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Save yourself some time and spend the night in Marfa ( Marfa Lights) and bypass the Big Bend Mole Hills. Colorado has mountains ,,we do not. Going on to New Mexico is a breeze from Marfa.
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 9:29:16 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Save yourself some time and spend the night in Marfa ( Marfa Lights) and bypass the Big Bend Mole Hills. Colorado has mountains ,,we do not. Going on to New Mexico is a breeze from Marfa.
View Quote
We're probably going to Colorado after New Mexico.  We were just wanting to squeeze a few nights camping on the trip.  We'll probably camp in Great Sand Dunes again then head towards Idaho Springs and Denver.  I've never heard of the Marfa Lights before, I'll have to look into that.

Link Posted: 7/17/2015 9:31:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
We're probably going to Colorado after New Mexico.  We were just wanting to squeeze a few nights camping on the trip.  We'll probably camp in Great Sand Dunes again then head towards Idaho Springs and Denver.  I've never heard of the Marfa Lights before, I'll have to look into that.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I completely forgot about the Marfa lights.  I would definitely add that to your list!
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 11:16:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Best Mexican Food in San Antonio.  Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner and Bakery.

Mi Tierra

Link Posted: 7/19/2015 11:23:22 PM EDT
[#17]
If the location works for you, http://www.countyline.com/CountyLineLake.html is excellent in Austin. It's not in downtown though.

Last time I was out there parts of the riverwalk were 30.06 (no concealed carry).
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 9:41:03 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

They are quite a few on South First, South Congress. What kind of food do you like or want to try? On Monday or Tuesday I'll do a drive by that area and let you know what is down there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

South Congress or South Lamar... But the best place to go is off Barton Springs right before Zilker park coming from downtown.  Hey are you going to eat or what is the good one to goto, but the sliders from the icecream truck are delicious too.

As for BBQ, Franklins is good, but I'm not standing in a parking lot for 2 hours either.  Just goto the salt lick on your way out of/into town.  BYOB, call in your order for take out (this part is important) on the way there.

For an older ish hangout (I'm 27), Austin Beer Works, Craft Pride on Rainey, Draught House on Lamar (north).  They all have food  trucks, too.
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 10:49:28 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I just found Roaming Hunger that has the location of a bunch of food trucks in Austin.  We might have to try a couple spots...

Link Posted: 7/20/2015 1:35:24 PM EDT
[#20]
+1 on the Chisos camping, this time of year you will want to be as high in elevation as possible.  

Another thought would be to look into the Ft Davis State Park, its a mile high IIRC, and also has a campground.  I know that at the Indian Lodge at the State Park you must make reservations weeks-months in advance.  It is about 100 miles to Big Bend National Park.

Good luck.

Hking
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 1:44:41 PM EDT
[#21]
For touristy things to do in Austin I would suggest checking out the Capitol complex.  There's also the Bob Bullock history museum.  Camp Mabry has a nice military museum that's open to the public as well.

Hula Hut on Lake Austin is always a nice place to go for lunch if you are just visiting.
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 2:44:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Texas Ranger museum in Waco

If you're going to go to the Alamo, make sure you check out the other surrounding missions. Very cool.
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 5:32:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Big Bend is awesome.  I don't know what y'all have in mind for your time there, but I've been backpacking in the backcountry out there a few times if you have any questions.

Carlsbad Cavern is excellent as well.  The Guadalupe Mountains are right there too, with El Capitan ("most recognizable" peak in west Texas) and Guadalupe Peak (highest point in Texas).  It's going to be seriously hot out there, so make sure to carry plenty of water if y'all are going to be doing any hiking.

In Houston, you could check out the USS Texas and San Jacinto Monument (they're right next to each other) or the Houston Space Center.

Link Posted: 7/20/2015 5:44:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I just found Roaming Hunger that has the location of a bunch of food trucks in Austin.  We might have to try a couple spots...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good site, if you want good bbq without the wait at Franklin's, try Terry Black's on Barton Creek, very close to as good as Franklin's

One place that is different, kind of strange with good food is Freddie's on S. First.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 9:48:03 AM EDT
[#25]
Everyone's input has been great.  I appreciate the help!  We're covering a lot of ground and can't see everything but I've got some new stops on the itinerary thanks to this thread.  I'm excited to travel Texas again.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 10:35:23 AM EDT
[#26]
on the way into or out of Big Bend,
you might want to swing by Terlingua.

PS:
if you are going from San Antonio to Big Bend via IH-10,
you can wave at me as you pass by Boerne.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 11:30:23 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

PS:

View Quote
Terlingua looks cool!  I didn't know that was there but we were planning on taking 170 from Big Bend over to Presidio.  We'll stop at the ghost town, thanks for the suggestion.

I was thinking of using 90 from Houston over to Marathon.  I-10 would probably be quicker but I was thinking seeing Laughlin and Amistad would be worth the drive.  Yah or nah?

Link Posted: 7/21/2015 12:15:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Terlingua looks cool!  I didn't know that was there but we were planning on taking 170 from Big Bend over to Presidio.  We'll stop at the ghost town, thanks for the suggestion.

I was thinking of using 90 from Houston over to Marathon.  I-10 would probably be quicker but I was thinking seeing Laughlin and Amistad would be worth the drive.  Yah or nah?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

PS:

Well, if taking HWY 90, plan a short stop in Langtry, TX and visit the the Judge Roy Bean Visitor Center - Law West of the Pecos.

Unfortunately, it appears Alamo Village (John Wayne's "The Alamo" movie set), north of Brackettville has closed down.
That was always a fun stop.

Link Posted: 7/21/2015 5:01:51 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

View Quote

For good Mexican, Mexican Manhatten is some of best riverwalk food you'll get. And you wont break the bank.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 2:13:47 AM EDT
[#30]
In Carlsbad don't miss the bat flight at dusk. It is truly one of the most amazing things I've ever seen.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 11:20:17 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

In Carlsbad don't miss the bat flight at dusk. It is truly one of the most amazing things I've ever seen.
View Quote

The timing just might work out for us to be there at dusk.  If so, we'll certainly check it out.  Thanks.

Link Posted: 7/22/2015 3:10:15 PM EDT
[#32]
Yes, staying in San Antonio for the night, Big Bend the following day.
View Quote

Following day, heh, heh.....

Ft Stockton to Pecos, to Artesia, then Carlsbad. If you have the time go on up to Roswell then up to Ruidoso. After all that desert your do some Alpine cool ! Take in the horse racing at Ruidoso Downs, racing every afternoon.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 3:28:07 PM EDT
[#33]
If you're going through Bracketville, on the left is Ft Clark. Drive across the bridge and take a look if you're into history. Post was active pre civil war until post WWII. Officers row is still intact. Enlisted baracks were turned into hotel rooms. Wainright's last command before being sent to the Phillipines. A large springfed pool was constructed on his order. The spring has been a major water source for millions of years. By situating the fort at the site of the springs they denied the water to the Comanches and Apaches. You can look at some of the pictures in the museum and put your hand on the same cottonwood trees. The pictures date back to post civil war. Anybody who was somebody in the US Cavalry was stationed at Clark. Patton,Mackenzie,Wainright, and many others. The last horse soldiers, with horses, were at Clark. they were phased out in 1945. It's really a neat place and there are more MoH recipients, per capita buried in Bracketville than any other cemetery in the country.
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 8:14:27 PM EDT
[#34]
We're leaving in the morning.  Thanks for the help everyone.
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 8:56:51 PM EDT
[#35]
Fort Davis is a great stop.  See historic Fort Davis and the McDonald observatory.  If you go to Terlingua take Hwy170/River Rd to Lajitas and on to Presidio.  Beautiful drive.  Take plenty of water and go armed just to be on the safe side.  Very desolate area.
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 11:27:51 AM EDT
[#36]
Agreed on that drive from Lajitas to Presidio, or Presidio to Lajitas if coming from Marfa/Ft Davis.  Just a majestic drive.

Hking
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 5:31:10 PM EDT
[#37]
We are taking 170 to Presidio, then up to Marfa.  I'm looking forward to the drive.  We'll keep our eye's peeled for El Chapo.  That's a couple days from now.

Stayed in lovely Beaumont last night.  Drove to Austin to see the Capitol, Texas History Museum and ate lunch at Torchy's Tacos.  In San Antonio now.  'Bout to ask about the basement of the Alamo and go have dinner & drinks on the River Walk.  We're staying walking distance.  So far, so good.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 11:48:59 PM EDT
[#38]
Big Bend NP and the drive to Presidio on 170 were both great.  Worth a two day drive from Georgia.  The drive through Marfa, Van Horn, etc up to Carlsbad, NM was nice too.  We walked the caverns and saw the bats fly at dusk.  We might be back through Amarillo in a couple days for a steak at the Big Texan.  Last time we went someone completed the challenge.

Thanks for everyones help.  Texas is awesome.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top