Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/23/2015 1:26:10 PM EDT
Thank you everyone for your suggestions and prayers. Our puppy passed this morning before the vet could arrive and now she's resting in a better place. My wife and I were curled up with her when she left and it was an easy passing, for her at least. My only regret is that she never got to see the new house or play in her big new yard. We just closed on our new house on Friday and we were so excited for her to run around and play.

Going to be a rough patch for a while...

My 13 year old Golden has pulled through everything with flying colors but this time I'm not sure she's going to make it.

We've had years longer that I thought we would (cancer-treated) which is a blessing, but she has aspiration pneumonia as a complication of myasthenia gravis/megaesophagus and is very weak. Her quality of life has been excellent up 'til now and she may still pull through, but I won't have her suffer if the prognosis deteriorates.

When the decision is made and she has to leave, it needs to be at home, not at the vet's office. Can anyone offer any recommendations for home euthanasia and/or private cremation services? I know it's a painful process and I hate to ask anyone to revisit their experience, but I'd rather go with someone with some positive feedback rather than a random internet search. Private cremation is preferred and I would like to be there for the process just to ensure that there are no mixups. My vet will be calling me shortly and he may have some suggestions, but I thought I would ask here as well.

Prayers would be appreciated and hopefully I won't need this quite yet, but any help would be appreciated.

Thanks much,

-D

ETA: Sorry - not at my best right now. Location is Frisco/Prosper/McKinney area.

Link Posted: 5/23/2015 2:14:07 PM EDT
[#1]
<----Had to put down my fifteen year old last month. (the one on the left in my avatar)

Used these folks and was pleased:http://www.texaspethospice.com/

Link Posted: 5/23/2015 2:40:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 2:41:54 PM EDT
[#3]
you don't say where you live.
we are up in allen, and the vet near us does live stock I guess so they can come to the house for that.
they took away the body and cremated it and we came by and picked up the ashes in a little box.

honestly don't remember the cost but it was much better for the family. Small shot and she went to sleep.

my point is, to check around near you for farm type vet instead of city vets.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 5:30:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Sorry for not listing my location - we are in the North Frisco/Plano/McKinney area and I have updated my original post.

Thank you for your thoughts and suggestions, I'm looking into them now. She is a bit more responsive right now and I am hoping that I can get her eating and drinking normally so we can continue with the antibiotics. We just closed on our new house yesterday and were planning on moving this week so this is a real gut punch. Still hoping and praying for the best...

Thanks again,

-D
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 5:40:50 PM EDT
[#5]
DogWizard,
Planovet is a member here. he may offer the service.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 7:37:27 PM EDT
[#6]
A little over a year ago, I used Dr. Joanna Henderson from www.petlossathome.com. She was very kind and understanding. She made a difficult situation as easy as possible. She also took care of the private creation and delivered the ashes. You can IM me for her phone number.
I am sorry that you are facing this decision, it's never easy.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 7:48:16 PM EDT
[#7]
So sorry. It is tough to lose a pal.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 8:49:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Pine Hill crematory in Bowie.  We used them for both our dogs.  Very nice people, and they will do individual animal cremation.
http://www.pinehillpet.com
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 10:13:07 PM EDT
[#9]
IM sent.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 10:20:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks again for the suggestions and the thoughts - we really appreciate it.

Here's hoping tomorrow morning will bring better news...
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 10:55:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Good luck, always really hard to put a dog down.  My dogs are my kids
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 11:07:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Thank you everyone for your suggestions and prayers. Our puppy passed this morning before the vet could arrive and now she's resting in a better place. My wife and I were curled up with her when she left and it was an easy passing, for her at least. My only regret is that she never got to see the new house or play in her big new yard. We just closed on our new house on Friday and we were so excited for her to run around and play.

Going to be a rough patch for a while...

Link Posted: 5/25/2015 1:25:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Never easy to lose and long time companion such as yours.  My thoughts are with you.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 7:41:56 AM EDT
[#14]
Thoughts and prayers are with you. Dog speed pup.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 8:20:23 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 8:38:42 AM EDT
[#16]
I'm so sorry to hear about your loss, she looks like a beautiful girl. At least she passed with both of you there holding her know she was loved.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 9:51:54 AM EDT
[#17]
Sorry for your loss OP.

#dogsarebetterthanpeople
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 11:06:12 AM EDT
[#18]
Sad to hear of your pups passing. I know they become part of the family and I would be upset also if our dog was gone. You had some good times with a very special pup and you should cherish those and not dwell on your loss.

Vince
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 12:25:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Never easy to see them go. Sorry for your loss.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 4:44:19 PM EDT
[#20]
I am so sorry for your loss.  I am glad you both were able to be with her at the end.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 5:08:33 PM EDT
[#21]
So sorry for your loss.  My dogs are members of the family, and it hurts like hell to lose one.  All dogs DO go to heaven.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 8:25:27 PM EDT
[#22]
So sorry you lost a longtime companion  and friend.  Her pic shows her to be a sweet classy Lady.  

With my loss, I remembered the many special wonderful times we had together.  It does help...some.

My sincere sympathies.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 9:14:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Sounds like she had a great life and I sure she loved every minute of it.  Always hard to lose one, sorry for your loss.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 9:15:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Prayers for you and your family! All dogs go to Heaven so the pup is covered.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 9:26:01 PM EDT
[#25]
I'm sorry for your loss.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 10:10:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Sorry to hear of your loss.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 10:20:32 PM EDT
[#27]
The hardest part is expecting her to be there and just...not.

We still have a lot of packing to do which gives us something to occupy the time, but then you come around the corner and expect to see her on the couch, or wait for her to come and "help" you with something and then it hits you again that she's not coming back.

I know that there are a lot of people out there with bigger problems and worse things to deal with, but she was a member of our family and I had her since she was a tiny puppy (before I even met my wife). Every day was a blessing and I will cherish every memory.

If you have a dog, take some time every day to just be with them - you never know when they will be called.

Thank you again for your thoughts and prayers.

-D
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 9:41:51 AM EDT
[#28]
Sorry for your loss. I know the pain all too well.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 10:40:06 AM EDT
[#29]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sorry for your loss. I know the pain all too well.
View Quote

Agreed. Grieving is certainly a normal and familiar experience. But try to remember that "this too shall pass" and you can remember all the happy times where she made life a better thing.

You have my sympathies.

Link Posted: 5/26/2015 12:47:34 PM EDT
[#30]
Sorry to hear this man, All we can do is love them while they are here and let them love us like they know how to do.

I'm afraid that I'll be going through it soon with my 12 year old Lab.  He's lost a lot of weight the past couple of months.

Link Posted: 5/26/2015 1:03:35 PM EDT
[#31]
So sorry for your loss.  It is very hard to lose such a loving friend and family member.  We lost our GSD super bowl Sunday this year.  It will get better as time goes by.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 1:05:27 PM EDT
[#32]
Sorry for your loss.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 3:12:28 PM EDT
[#33]
So very sorry.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 5:47:17 PM EDT
[#34]
Sorry OP
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top