Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 8:44:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nah, the schools are too busy teaching kids a state mandated test
View Quote

Funny you say that.  For some reason I was able to learn lots of things in school that people claim we don't have time for today.  The only thing that has changed is the standardized testing.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 10:21:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
What other things were you "forced" to learn that you don't use today?  I bet I could come up with several things that I learned that I dont really use today but I dont claim it was a waste of time.
View Quote

There are a lot of things I was forced to learn that I don't use that I still value the knowledge of today.  I've never needed Calculus or advanced Physics (although I have used trigonometry and simple newtonian physics extensively over the years).  Cursive isn't one of those things.  It was a waste of time then, and it is now.  But I guess I'm a brick since I've been programming for over 30 years.  As for supporting legacy systems...  if all you are in it for is the money then I suppose that sort of things is O.K.  I could probably make more money if I was willing to work with systems that suck like Windows (tomorrow's legacy system -- well actually old versions are already becoming that), but life is too short to deal with unnecessary frustrations.  If that means other people are smarter because they value money over happiness, then more power to them.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 11:06:44 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Let me guess...Cobol, Fortran? There's a reason we call those legacy programming languages.  They are no longer relevant, therefore no longer taught.
View Quote

Fortran is still a requirement for a lot of science degrees and is still used in a lot of scientific and engineering environments.

Not irrelevant yet, and probably won't be for some time still. As much as I personally hate it , it's not going anywhere yet.

Link Posted: 5/26/2015 12:01:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Funny you say that.  For some reason I was able to learn lots of things in school that people claim we don't have time for today.  The only thing that has changed is the standardized testing.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nah, the schools are too busy teaching kids a state mandated test

I gotta stop checking in on this thread. All this standardized test talk will get me ranting.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 7:24:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Daughter in the second grade is learning cursive, Cy-Fair school district.  Maybe some teach it and others see no reason for it.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 10:42:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

You can reject all you like If it makes you feel better.  But the simple fact to think you would wait until an elective in high school is ludicrous at best.   Skill sets such as hand writhing skills are taught at a very early age with very little extra work.  For me it was first grade.  For my son it was kindergarten and first.  Electives in high school are designed to allow a student to explore their personal interest to help them explore what they would like to do when they become an adult.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What is the point of art history / appreciation? You know what you like don't you?  Music history /appreciation?  You know what you like to listen to don't you?   Why should a child learn about plants in school?  We have grocery stores don't we?

It's a form of writing that has been in our civilization for a long time.  I am not saying anyone needs to be an expert in it or study it for hours a day.  Just saying it's most likely a good idea to know how to read and write it because you will encounter it in your life. Even though hand writing a note has far less of need today then it was just 10 years ago do you really believe such simple skills are no longer needed ever agin?

Music / art / choir are electives.  At least when I was in High School, one had to take a required number of credits of some sort of art or music, as well as PE.  One could select from a variety of elective courses.  Art, Choir, Band, Orchestra, etc.  But none were required individually.

I have no objection to making "Cursive Writing" one of the optional courses that count towards an art credit.

And again - I reject the idea it must be formally taught just so that folks may know how to read cursive.  I also reject your implication (in red) that hand writing will somehow not be learned without a course in cursive writing.

You can reject all you like If it makes you feel better.  But the simple fact to think you would wait until an elective in high school is ludicrous at best.   Skill sets such as hand writhing skills are taught at a very early age with very little extra work.  For me it was first grade.  For my son it was kindergarten and first.  Electives in high school are designed to allow a student to explore their personal interest to help them explore what they would like to do when they become an adult.

Your point was the cursive was an art form, and by that point you inferred its usefulness as a course of study was as such.  I do not necessarily disagree.  

You seem to keep conflating "cursive" with "handwriting."

Handwriting needs to be taught of course.  But it does not need to be cursive.  Cursive is past it's usefulness as a tool of communication.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 2:16:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Your point was the cursive was an art form, and by that point you inferred its usefulness as a course of study was as such.  I do not necessarily disagree.  

Handwriting needs to be taught of course.  But it does not need to be cursive.  Cursive is past it's usefulness as a tool of communication.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What is the point of art history / appreciation? You know what you like don't you?  Music history /appreciation?  You know what you like to listen to don't you?   Why should a child learn about plants in school?  We have grocery stores don't we?

It's a form of writing that has been in our civilization for a long time.  I am not saying anyone needs to be an expert in it or study it for hours a day.  Just saying it's most likely a good idea to know how to read and write it because you will encounter it in your life. Even though hand writing a note has far less of need today then it was just 10 years ago do you really believe such simple skills are no longer needed ever agin?

Music / art / choir are electives.  At least when I was in High School, one had to take a required number of credits of some sort of art or music, as well as PE.  One could select from a variety of elective courses.  Art, Choir, Band, Orchestra, etc.  But none were required individually.

I have no objection to making "Cursive Writing" one of the optional courses that count towards an art credit.

And again - I reject the idea it must be formally taught just so that folks may know how to read cursive.  I also reject your implication (in red) that hand writing will somehow not be learned without a course in cursive writing.

I took a course in caveman handwriting once.  About halfway through the course I realized "this is stupid, nobody communicates on the sides of caves anymore" so I dropped the class.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 11:10:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't think I was trying to call cursive an art form.  I said something to the effect that we have what some people call useless classes like art appreciation but I never called it an art form.  I think saying its past its usefulness is like trying to say memorizing multiplication tables is past its usefulness because we have cheap calculators today.  I have no idea what you age is but it was not until the late 70’s that a handled calculator got very cheap.  Some people under the age of 30-40 have no idea that a cheap calculator was not sitting on everyones desk on in your pocket as part of your phone before that time.

Like I said before if you don't think its necessary then don't teach your kids.  It all works out in the end and you end up in the place your are destined for
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 9:24:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Like I said before if you don't think its necessary then don't teach your kids.  It all works out in the end and you end up in the place your are destined for
View Quote

O.K., so I know cursive...  How has it made me end up where I'm destined?  How would I have somehow utterly failed had I not wasted my time learning it?

If there aren't some pretty lucid answers to these two questions then that would seem to be pretty conclusive evidence as to cursive being a useless anachronism.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 10:41:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I don't think I was trying to call cursive an art form.  I said something to the effect that we have what some people call useless classes like art appreciation but I never called it an art form.  I think saying its past its usefulness is like trying to say memorizing multiplication tables is past its usefulness because we have cheap calculators today.  I have no idea what you age is but it was not until the late 70’s that a handled calculator got very cheap.  Some people under the age of 30-40 have no idea that a cheap calculator was not sitting on everyones desk on in your pocket as part of your phone before that time.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Clearly the style of writing is of greater importance than clearly constructing sentences to convey the desired idea to the reader...
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 12:03:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Clearly the style of writing is of greater importance than clearly constructing sentences to convey the desired idea to the reader...
View Quote

When kids don't know the difference between ASK and AXE...  whether they write in pretty cursive or chicken scratch printing matters little.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 11:16:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

O.K., so I know cursive...  How has it made me end up where I'm destined?  How would I have somehow utterly failed had I not wasted my time learning it?

If there aren't some pretty lucid answers to these two questions then that would seem to be pretty conclusive evidence as to cursive being a useless anachronism.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well I was trying to be PC but here goes.    My point is to those that decide not to get there kids to learn as much as posible are setting them up for failure.  I don't care what kind of spin you wish to try and put on it the bottom line is those that have a greater wealth of knowledge will always do better in life on average.  And please don't try to say I am linking cursive alone to success.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 11:27:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Well I was trying to be PC but here goes.    My point is to those that decide not to get there kids to learn as much as posible are setting them up for failure.  I don't care what kind of spin you wish to try and put on it the bottom line is those that have a greater wealth of knowledge will always do better in life on average.  And please don't try to say I am linking cursive alone to success.
View Quote

It sure sounded like that from what you'd said before...  Well, maybe more like an implication that anyone who didn't know cursive was somehow inferiorly educated.  But I am glad you now agree that knowing cursive is not necessary to be successful.

If I had kids, I would not want them to waste time on something as pointless as cursive.  As long as they can print legibly and type at an acceptable rate of speed and accuracy that is more important these days.  That does not mean that I wouldn't want kids to learn as much as possible, but I'd rather it was something useful like science, math or even history... Something, anything, other than those dreadful "Palmer Method" books...  Thankfully that company has been out of business for years.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 11:27:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Sure OK ... Your the one that inferred the link between Art and cursive but hey its all good in the end I guess ... Like I said teach your kids only what you personally think they should know and see what happens.  maybe it will work out or maybe they will be lacking only time can tell .  All I know it that having as much knowledge  as possible is never a bad thing and never hurt anyone.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 11:37:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

This is becoming more common. People print their names because they do not have a signature.
I asked a 20-something about their signature, and they responded with... "you mean like in cursive? I don't do that."

We are fast approaching a time when people will be asked to "make their mark" on documents.

But then I guess with "e" signatures, it does not matter anymore.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I quit writing in cursive because most of the people I worked with couldn't read it.

On occasion I have seen people sign their name with standard print.

This is becoming more common. People print their names because they do not have a signature.
I asked a 20-something about their signature, and they responded with... "you mean like in cursive? I don't do that."

We are fast approaching a time when people will be asked to "make their mark" on documents.

Thats sad.  But then again, I am seeing it more and more as well.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 11:39:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

It sure sounded like that from what you'd said before...  Well, maybe more like an implication that anyone who didn't know cursive was somehow inferiorly educated.  But I am glad you now agree that knowing cursive is not necessary to be successful.

If I had kids, I would not want them to waste time on something as pointless as cursive.  As long as they can print legibly and type at an acceptable rate of speed and accuracy that is more important these days.  That does not mean that I wouldn't want kids to learn as much as possible, but I'd rather it was something useful like science, math or even history... Something, anything, other than those dreadful "Palmer Method" books...  Thankfully that company has been out of business for years.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Never tried to imply that those that don't know cursive will not be successful.  I only implied that those with as little knowledge as possible to get out of school are going to have a real surprise in life when it fully shits on them for being an idiot.  When that happens it will be the parents fault for not letting their kids know that they needed to learn as much as possible when they are young. When they do realize how they got screwed back in school it will most likely be to late.

As to you point about spending more time on math and sciences I definitely agree.  The issue is  less is being taught today with standardized testing.  For some reason I was able to learn more then the kids today when you look and what is being taught and still had time for life skills such as cursive.  The only real difference was I did not go to school when they had standardized testing.

I still think its very important for a kid to learn it because they will have to deal with it in life.  Anyone that says they will not is only kidding themselves.  I don't care if a kid uses it after they learn it but they have to know it.  its just like long division.  Sure a kid can just use a calculator because that is what technology has given us but do you really wish to have your kid be the dumb-ass that can't cipher with out a calculator.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 11:44:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Sure OK ... Your the one that inferred the link between Art and cursive but hey its all good in the end I guess ... Like I said teach your kids only what you personally think they should know and see what happens.  maybe it will work out or maybe they will be lacking only time can tell .  All I know it that having as much knowledge  as possible is never a bad thing and never hurt anyone.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is cursive writing really even "knowledge" the same way that learning how to solve math problems or science experiments is?  Sure, it is a skill...  But I still haven't gotten any answer as to what calamity will confront someone who doesn't know how to write cursive that they can't do either by printing or typing?  Sure, more knowledge is always good, but you've kind of got it backwards.  Nobody is saying refuse to let kids who are interested study caligraphy, for example...  just that most people consider requiring the study of it to be a waste of time.  There are just lots of other subjects most of us would consider a higher priority.  Heck, I personally find subatomic particle physics to be fascinating, but that is my choice, not something that I was required to take until college.  And I think I've used that more often solving real world problems than writing in cursive.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 11:46:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I quit writing in cursive because most of the people I worked with couldn't read it.

On occasion I have seen people sign their name with standard print.

Yep .. And more and more people say cursive is not needed because we have computers.  Unintended consequences I guess.  Just make your mark Toby and move along.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 11:54:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Is cursive writing really even "knowledge" the same way that learning how to solve math problems or science experiments is?  Sure, it is a skill...  But I still haven't gotten any answer as to what calamity will confront someone who doesn't know how to write cursive that they can't do either by printing or typing?  Sure, more knowledge is always good, but you've kind of got it backwards.  Nobody is saying refuse to let kids who are interested study caligraphy, for example...  just that most people consider requiring the study of it to be a waste of time.  There are just lots of other subjects most of us would consider a higher priority.  Heck, I personally find subatomic particle physics to be fascinating, but that is my choice, not something that I was required to take until college.  And I think I've used that more often solving real world problems than writing in cursive.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Have you missed that part where I said they will encounter it ?  if they can't read it correctly or they are very slow on interrupting it they are going to have a difficult time in life.  It sounds like you could read and write it if you needed to because you were taught it.  Now look at a kid that is never taught it and tell me how they are going to deal with it.  You can say they can learn it after school but you know very well most parents are a bunch of lazy fat asses that don't really give a crap.

And yes it is knowledge.  learning anything is knowledge.  Don't confuse knowledge with only things that you approve of personally
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 12:01:10 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Never tried to imply that those that don't know cursive will not be successful.  I only implied that those with as little knowledge as possible to get out of school are going to have a real surprise in life when it fully shits on them for being an idiot.  When that happens it will be the parents fault for not letting their kids know that they needed to learn as much as possible when they are young. When they do realize how they got screwed back in school it will most likely be to late.

As to you point about spending more time on math and sciences I definitely agree.  The issue is  less is being taught today with standardized testing.  For some reason I was able to learn more then the kids today when you look and what is being taught and still had time for life skills such as cursive.  The only real difference was I did not go to school when they had standardized testing.

I still think its very important for a kid to learn it because they will have to deal with it in life.  Anyone that says they will not is only kidding themselves.  I don't care if a kid uses it after they learn it but they have to know it.  its just like long division.  Sure a kid can just use a calculator because that is what technology has given us but do you really wish to have your kid be the dumb-ass that can't cipher with out a calculator.
View Quote

I don't think standardized tests are the problem.  I didn't go to K-12 around here, but where i did, even 40 years ago they used standardized tests.  I remember the "Stanford Achienvement Tests" well...  the bubble answer sheets and #2 pencils.  The difference was, those are mainly only a guide back then and not used quite as directly to determine who passes and what schools get shut down.

No, the real problem with the schools is the parents, and their lack of interest and involvement.  Like in "Idiocracy" it seems like every generation is just a little bit more stupid and lazy.  But there are exceptions.  Some districts which aren't being held down by problem, underachieving kids are still doing well.  And even in crappy schools some kids will learn on their own and succeed.  And the reason that the laggards are such a big problem is that with them often comes discipline problems, they slow down the other kids and things have to be dumbed down to the least common denominator.  If schools were allowed to let some kids fail and get them out of the system or put them in remedial classes the rest of the kids would be better off.  But instead our schools value how kids feel and the myth of equality (equality should only apply to opportunities, not be guaranteed in outcomes) over real education.

While I agree that learning the basics like long division is still useful even though we have calculators I don't think that extends to cursive.  It is already more or less dead.  Almost nobody uses it any more and frankly only an idiot couldn't figure out how to read it if they can read printing even if they never took a class in it or practised it enough to build up the hand skill needed to write it.  The letters are still basically the same just all looped together.  Being able to read it might be useful, but I can't see how being able to write it is worth the time.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 12:21:01 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I don't think standardized tests are the problem.  I didn't go to K-12 around here, but where i did, even 40 years ago they used standardized tests.  I remember the "Stanford Achienvement Tests" well...  the bubble answer sheets and #2 pencils.  The difference was, those are mainly only a guide back then and not used quite as directly to determine who passes and what schools get shut down.

No, the real problem with the schools is the parents, and their lack of interest and involvement.  Like in "Idiocracy" it seems like every generation is just a little bit more stupid and lazy.  But there are exceptions.  Some districts which aren't being held down by problem, underachieving kids are still doing well.  And even in crappy schools some kids will learn on their own and succeed.  And the reason that the laggards are such a big problem is that with them often comes discipline problems, they slow down the other kids and things have to be dumbed down to the least common denominator.  If schools were allowed to let some kids fail and get them out of the system or put them in remedial classes the rest of the kids would be better off.  But instead our schools value how kids feel and the myth of equality (equality should only apply to opportunities, not be guaranteed in outcomes) over real education.

While I agree that learning the basics like long division is still useful even though we have calculators I don't think that extends to cursive.  It is already more or less dead.  Almost nobody uses it any more and frankly only an idiot couldn't figure out how to read it if they can read printing even if they never took a class in it or practised it enough to build up the hand skill needed to write it.  The letters are still basically the same just all looped together.  Being able to read it might be useful, but I can't see how being able to write it is worth the time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We had testing when I was a child too.  The same as you.  The difference today is when people say standardized testing they are actually talking about test the government requires for teachers to keep their jobs and schools to get their funds.  This is very different testing then what you and I had.  This is the reason my son goes to a private school.  I know teachers that will say not to ever put your kids into most public schools because the course work they are given is designed to get the highest score on a test not to teach a child.    

Now back to Cursive.  Both you and I received formal training on it.  It seems normal for us to realize  that the symbols are basically the same.  You have to remember a child that has had no teachings on the subject will not necessarily make the some conclusion.  Also to the point that you say no one uses it.  For everyone you can point to me that does not use it i can show you someone who does.  In my field of work it is used a great deal by both young and old.  My opinion as to why this is is because there is a large amount a handwriting still being done for their job.

By the way here is the proof that not just anyone can read cursive.. And yes she had gone to a public school more worried about standardized testing.  And yes most likely her parents did not give a crap about education.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top