Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/22/2015 9:46:17 AM EDT
For all I pay in CyFair taxes I expect my kids to be taught to read/write cursive.
I got up at five AM to help my daughter by taking notes on a book she had to read for school for a test today. We stayed at the hospital too late last night playing with our new grandson and she had too much other homework.
I gave her my notes and she said she couldn't read them because they were in cursive! WTF CyFair!
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 9:53:46 AM EDT
[#1]
My daughter is in 5th grade, she's been taught cursive, but they're trying to phase it out. She's 10 and she thinks it's stupid as hell too.

On the flip side, all of her work is moving to computer. Next year she will be assigned a laptop to take home and use at school, so to a certain extent, writing by hand will take a back seat for assignments, but you can't ignore the fact that there will always be a certain amount of hand writing out there.

She would have had a laptop assigned to her this year, but the school district wanted me to sign off on paperwork saying that I was financially responsible for the computer, but she WOULD NOT be allowed to bring it home. Why do I want to accept financial responsibility for something that's never in my possession or control?

She got her own chromebook last summer.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 10:06:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Why would you expect a modern school to teach an outdated way of writing?

Link Posted: 5/22/2015 10:38:36 AM EDT
[#3]
I guess we should waste some time teaching how to use a slide rule too.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 11:25:36 AM EDT
[#4]
I agree with all the PhD talking head educators in various states that getting rid of cursive handwriting is a good idea, in order to devote time to keyboarding skills or general computer use for educational labs or something.  We don't still teach kids how to use a typewriter, you know how to load the paper, get the margins set, correcting mistakes, etc.,  nor do we show them how to properly use a whip on horse and buggy rides.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 2:10:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Cursive is so last century.  Get with the times old man.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 2:49:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Writing in cursive is not required on the state mandated testing which affects their funding so schools don't teach it. Hell, the only time I write in cursive is to sign my name or write a check which is rare these days.  Don't see the need for kids to learn it these days when everything is typed.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 3:09:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Just to show another example of this being a step in the right direction, remember back in the day when students going to school to be a pharmacist had to take a class on reading cursive handwriting because so many doctors writing was so screwed up?  Good riddance to that crap.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 4:38:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Time much better spent on other things. I remember learning cursive in school. It was abandoned as soon as it was no longer required on assignments. The only time this has presented a problem was when I took the SAT. There was a phrase on the exam about honesty that had to be copied in cursive or something like that.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 7:13:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Cursive is so last century.  Get with the times old man.
View Quote

My kids are going roast me on this!
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 7:18:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Isn't there a baseline age for this forum! Lol.

I stand corrected. I am old. I'm older than 95% of the bandidos arrested in Waco but I look a whole lot younger.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 7:35:19 PM EDT
[#11]
I graduated from High School in 1979.  I learned cursive and write many papers with it.  Since leaving school I have never used cursive in the work place.  My 19 year old daughter using full print when she writes.  She just told me she hasn't used it since the third grade.

I can't see the point in teaching it.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 9:01:01 PM EDT
[#12]
I quit writing in cursive because most of the people I worked with couldn't read it.

On occasion I have seen people sign their name with standard print.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 10:07:23 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm a teacher. Granted, I teach math. But I think cursive is a waste of time. Haven't used it since 10th grade, except for signatures.

Might as well teach muzzle loading at a carbine class.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 10:10:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Wanted to add...some of you seem to think teachers have a say in what is taught. You want cursive taught? Petition the legislature. There's more important things than open/campus carry (inb4thatsblasphemy).
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 10:18:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I'm a teacher. Granted, I teach math. But I think cursive is a waste of time. Haven't used it since 10th grade, except for signatures.

Might as well teach muzzle loading at a carbine class.
View Quote

What grade do you teach?
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 11:59:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Cursive is pointless anymore.  Might as well have schools teach Aramaic.  After I got out of grade school I never used it except for my signature.  I work with a guy that still writes in cursive and it is damn near impossible to read.  I know Montgomery schools don't teach it, well at least the one my sister is at.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 12:04:57 AM EDT
[#17]
I find it interesting that some people have such strong ideas about this and claim they only use block letters.  In my opinion most people older then mid 20's actually use a hybrid as they are trying to make something more legible but also trying to be quick.

I also notice the higer educated professionals I work with mostly use cursive and those with a lower education level use block.  Now what the actual percentage is I don't know as I have not studied it that much.   Not tying to downgrade anyone or act like I am superior.  Just letting you know my observation.

For me personally I find it very useful as I can concentrate on a thought and not concentrate on each individual letter.  Maybe I write in cursive because I learned it in first grade and never looked back.

I also look at cursive the same way I do Latin.  It may be a dead language but it is used for much more things then most know or understand.  I for one would have a hard time in life without knowing some Latin.  

One last thought .. Can you really imagine a child not having the ability to read an original copy of the Declaration of Independence.  Just because computers are everywhere now does not dismiss that historical documents are still in a "old fashion" script.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 1:23:01 AM EDT
[#18]
I learned it in 3rd grade in 2001 and was told it was required in high school.

NOPE.

I stopped using it in junior high because printing was quicker. I only use cursive when signing.

Assuming the penmanship isn't horrible, reading cursive isn't that hard anyways.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 6:49:46 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I quit writing in cursive because most of the people I worked with couldn't read it.

View Quote

This is becoming more common. People print their names because they do not have a signature.
I asked a 20-something about their signature, and they responded with... "you mean like in cursive? I don't do that."

We are fast approaching a time when people will be asked to "make their mark" on documents.

But then I guess with "e" signatures, it does not matter anymore.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 6:56:43 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
<snip>
One last thought .. Can you really imagine a child not having the ability to read an original copy of the Declaration of Independence.  Just because computers are everywhere now does not dismiss that historical documents are still in a "old fashion" script.
View Quote

The sooner people cannot read documents like the Declaration of independence and Constitution for themselves, the better.
We should just rely on what someone else says they mean. -We are pretty much getting there anyway.

Link Posted: 5/23/2015 8:30:32 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I find it interesting that some people have such strong ideas about this and claim they only use block letters.  In my opinion most people older then mid 20's actually use a hybrid as they are trying to make something more legible but also trying to be quick.

I also notice the higer educated professionals I work with mostly use cursive and those with a lower education level use block.  Now what the actual percentage is I don't know as I have not studied it that much.   Not tying to downgrade anyone or act like I am superior.  Just letting you know my observation.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Humm, I work with a group of people with various education levels too.  The only one who uses cursive only has a GED.  So much for anecdotal evidence, huh.  

For me personally I find it very useful as I can concentrate on a thought and not concentrate on each individual letter.  Maybe I write in cursive because I learned it in first grade and never looked back.

I also look at cursive the same way I do Latin.  It may be a dead language but it is used for much more things then most know or understand.  I for one would have a hard time in life without knowing some Latin.  

Latin?   let's teach Latin to all school kids?
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 9:19:07 AM EDT
[#22]
In third grade I won a penmanship contest(silly catholic school).
Years later, while throwing freight at Roadway express in Grand Prairie is was pulled off the line and sat down in the office and told to copy freight bills. A/c and $10.80 per hour!

I do understand now about how unused cursive is but also as mentioned, you sure better know how to read it.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 9:36:47 AM EDT
[#23]
I would prefer that they familiarize kids with cursive so they can at least read it.  It just seems sad to me if kids couldn't read old historical documents and hand written letters.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 9:50:17 AM EDT
[#24]
OTOH,
if we eliminated all the crap in school that kids will probably never use in life,
we could probably cut down grade school to like 5 years, high school to 1 and college to 1.....

Link Posted: 5/23/2015 10:07:41 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 10:26:19 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Next thing, you see people just mark an "X" on signature line like the old way.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is becoming more common. People print their names because they do not have a signature.
I asked a 20-something about their signature, and they responded with... "you mean like in cursive? I don't do that."

We are fast approaching a time when people will be asked to "make their mark" on documents.

But then I guess with "e" signatures, it does not matter anymore.

Next thing, you see people just mark an "X" on signature line like the old way.

I already can't read half my grandsons Facebook page.
He is 18, attended public school.
Apparently English is becoming a dead language to him and his friends.

ETA: and to think Saturday Night Live used to make fun of 'ebonics"
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 10:29:35 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
 Humm, I work with a group of people with various education levels too.  The only one who uses cursive only has a GED.  So much for anecdotal evidence, huh.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I never said to teach Latin to children.  My point is just because some say a item is dead an no longer used it is not always correct to assume that.  Yes Latin is a dead language but it is still used daily by a large number of people and professions.  Even though English is a germanic language that does not dismiss the fact that a large portion of it is derived from Latin.  

I also used the example of latin not to just make a point that some things are still used more them most understand but to also see what remarks would be made about it.  The reason I did this is to make my overall point about the subject.  You can just look at your individual world and belive that it works that way for everyone and everything else.  But when you learn that there are things that you will never understand or chomperhend the better in life a person you can be.  This has nothing to do with someones intelligence it has to do with the ability for those to accept the fact there are other ways to look at things to help them understand the world better.

Also the remark about anecdotal evidence you made kind of proves my point that it was anecdotal evidence.  I have never studdied it but was just an observation that i have made only where i have worked and thought it was interesting.   ( fun fact ... I put the education level in just to see what comments would be made about it too)

Now some of you may know about this or may not but is always a good read to help understand life a little better. When you have some time should should read up on the Dunning Kruger effect.   Those that understand it will have a better overall view of the world.  Those that truly don't understand it will just make some sly remark having no idea it is referring to them and proves the study.  The cliffs notes of it is if your incompetent you can't know your incompetent.

Now lets go have a BBQ its memorial day weekend....... Just don't forget what its all about.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 11:58:33 AM EDT
[#28]
This is what I imagine when someone complains about cursive.

Link Posted: 5/23/2015 1:06:46 PM EDT
[#29]
Aside from a signature...I didn't need cursive to go to college, I didn't need cursive for Grad School, I didn't need cursive when I bought my house, didn't need it when I financed my car, or when I purchase any type of firearm. I know we like to be old school on arfcom, but it really is becoming (already?) antiquated.

FWIW the campus I teach at does have an after school cursive club.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 1:19:27 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Aside from a signature...I didn't need cursive to go to college, I didn't need cursive for Grad School, I didn't need cursive when I bought my house, didn't need it when I financed my car, or when I purchase any type of firearm. I know we like to be old school on arfcom, but it really is becoming (already?) antiquated.

FWIW the campus I teach at does have an after school cursive club.
View Quote

There are several things in life that People say you don't really need.  Just because you don't believe you need to know them does not make it a good idea to not teach or learn about them.

Hell I still remember poems and speeches I memorized over 30 years ago that are just stuck in my head.  I am sure someone could argue that it was not necessary for my class to memorize them but I still believe I am better off today knowing them and opening my mind up to other things.

For some reason people go around trying to say we don't have time to teach things like this but they do fail to understand most schools are just teaching for a test.  They are not teaching how to think.   That truly is the scarier thing about our education system.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 1:22:15 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
This is what I imagine when someone complains about cursive.

http://i.imgur.com/ylYcWWa.jpg
View Quote

I forgot about this ... Wow I am not sure anyone can honestly say they think it's a dumb idea after looking at that picture.  She was the poster child to stay in school and study hard or else.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 1:13:57 AM EDT
[#32]
The U.S. Constitution and the Bill of Rights are written in cursive.

Learning Cursive or Not
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 8:13:43 AM EDT
[#33]
They made me write in cursive when I was in elementary.  Tremendous waste of time.  When I got to Middle School I was not required to do so so I went back to printing.  When I got to high school I had a well intentioned English teacher take me aside and tell me that I really needed to learn how to write in cursive.  I asked her what did she want me to write.  She handed me another students essay and told me to practice on that.  I asked if that was all I had to do today and she said yes.  I took that back to my desk and for the next hour I wrote the prettiest cursive script she had ever seen.  When I turned it in she said ok you can write however  the heck you want too.  I can still do it but it is slow as Christmas.  I can print much faster.

I told my daughter when they were teaching her that I thought it was a tremendous waste of time but was required of her so learn it.  She said but dad you don't know how.  I took an hour and wrote her a letter in it.  When I gave it to her she said ok dad I wouldn't have believed it...  
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 9:43:49 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Learning Cursive or Not
View Quote

And if one had a need to study the physical document, one would need to learn to read cursive, in the same way that if you want to study early bible documents, you'd need to learn to read Greek.

You can learn to read cursive in an afternoon.  Getting good at producing cursive requires a lot of time and effort.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 12:03:41 PM EDT
[#35]
I dont agree with the point some are making about needing to be taught to read cursive.

It's not that hard. The letters are similar enough that any seriously different letter can be inferred.

Remember - cursive script fonts exist and are used in the digital world as well.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 10:19:22 PM EDT
[#36]
Maybe now that we're not wasting time teaching cursive we can catch up to the rest of the world in math and science.

BTW, neither my wife or I need cursive to get through grad school.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 11:31:50 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Maybe now that we're not wasting time teaching cursive we can catch up to the rest of the world in math and science.

View Quote

What would make someone think they need it for grad school?  I think most are missing the point of knowing it.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 12:18:58 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

What would make someone think they need it for grad school?  I think most are missing the point of knowing it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

To be sure we're all on the same page...  what is the point of knowing it?
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 12:47:45 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What is the point of art history / appreciation? You know what you like don't you?  Music history /appreciation?  You know what you like to listen to don't you?   Why should a child learn about plants in school?  We have grocery stores don't we?

It's a form of writing that has been in our civilization for a long time.  I am not saying anyone needs to be an expert in it or study it for hours a day.  Just saying it's most likely a good idea to know how to read and write it because you will encounter it in your life. Even though hand writing a note has far less of need today then it was just 10 years ago do you really believe such simple skills are no longer needed ever agin?

The whole point of an education is to learn things.  Not just to learn some thing but a wide variety of things.   It is true that there are some that truly don't wish to ever broaden their mind.  That's ok we always have a place in society for them too.   I for one and glad that I had the education that I did.  It was varried with several different subjects that I believe has allowed me to get to where I am in life.

Again for those that believe their children don't need it that's ok.  In the end everything works itself out and everyone falls into the place they are destined for.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 1:14:32 AM EDT
[#40]
I don't get the point in teaching history, geography, long division, literature, art, foreign languages, music, or physical education. I didn't need any of it for grad school.

Link Posted: 5/25/2015 1:50:48 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

And if one had a need to study the physical document, one would need to learn to read cursive, in the same way that if you want to study early bible documents, you'd need to learn to read Greek.

You can learn to read cursive in an afternoon.  Getting good at producing cursive requires a lot of time and effort.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Learning Cursive or Not

Well if your going to try to use such an example then you should mention the other 2 languages of Aramic and Hebrew.      

Now back to the real world .  Trying to compare  those that dedicate their life to study a single field to the average person that could use a writing and reading skill is a bit ridiculous.  In all honesty it does not take that long to learn how to write in cursive.   To be a professional scribe yes you would need a great deal of practice but for the average person not really.  Remember we are talking about Cursive not true Calligraphy or what most would call Calligraphy
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 11:24:43 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

What is the point of art history / appreciation? You know what you like don't you?  Music history /appreciation?  You know what you like to listen to don't you?   Why should a child learn about plants in school?  We have grocery stores don't we?

It's a form of writing that has been in our civilization for a long time.  I am not saying anyone needs to be an expert in it or study it for hours a day.  Just saying it's most likely a good idea to know how to read and write it because you will encounter it in your life. Even though hand writing a note has far less of need today then it was just 10 years ago do you really believe such simple skills are no longer needed ever agin?

View Quote

Music / art / choir are electives.  At least when I was in High School, one had to take a required number of credits of some sort of art or music, as well as PE.  One could select from a variety of elective courses.  Art, Choir, Band, Orchestra, etc.  But none were required individually.

I have no objection to making "Cursive Writing" one of the optional courses that count towards an art credit.

And again - I reject the idea it must be formally taught just so that folks may know how to read cursive.  I also reject your implication (in red) that hand writing will somehow not be learned without a course in cursive writing.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 11:52:25 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Music / art / choir are electives.  At least when I was in High School, one had to take a required number of credits of some sort of art or music, as well as PE.  One could select from a variety of elective courses.  Art, Choir, Band, Orchestra, etc.  But none were required individually.

I have no objection to making "Cursive Writing" one of the optional courses that count towards an art credit.

And again - I reject the idea it must be formally taught just so that folks may know how to read cursive.  I also reject your implication (in red) that hand writing will somehow not be learned without a course in cursive writing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can reject all you like If it makes you feel better.  But the simple fact to think you would wait until an elective in high school is ludicrous at best.   Skill sets such as hand writhing skills are taught at a very early age with very little extra work.  For me it was first grade.  For my son it was kindergarten and first.  Electives in high school are designed to allow a student to explore their personal interest to help them explore what they would like to do when they become an adult.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 12:29:40 PM EDT
[#44]
Interesting to note that folks who still use cursive are notably defensive of its use. If we are spending extra time on language skills, I would rather it be computer programming haha.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 12:45:51 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Interesting to note that folks who still use cursive are notably defensive of its use. If we are spending extra time on language skills, I would rather it be computer programming haha.
View Quote

Interesting to note that those that dislike cursive so much are notably defensive in the idea of retiring it.   See how easy it is to use that phrase?

Like I said before.  Those that don't believe they need their children to learn the skill then  by all means don't teach your children it.   All things work out in the end and everyone ends up in their place they are destined for.

As for the learning a programming language .... Why not learn some.   I did but I have never used them in real life. I only taught myself the skill because I wanted to learn something new. You dont see me saying I never used them so no one else needs to know them do you?
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 4:28:47 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

As for the learning a programming language .... Why not learn some.   I did but I have never used them in real life. I only taught myself the skill because I wanted to
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

As for the learning a programming language .... Why not learn some.   I did but I have never used them in real life. I only taught myself the skill because I wanted to

Let me guess...Cobol, Fortran? There's a reason we call those legacy programming languages.  They are no longer relevant, therefore no longer taught.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 5:14:46 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Let me guess...Cobol, Fortran? There's a reason we call those legacy programming languages.  They are no longer relevant, therefore no longer taught.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

nope ...  C++ c# and HTML5 ( yes I know HTML 5 is not a true language it's really just a markup)

I do think it's funny that you are tying to make the assumption that someone that uses cursive would use a very old language.  You do know that what ever language that you know today is going to be old soon don't you?

Oh and by the way I wish I did know cobol and fortran.  Why you ask.... Those that know it very well can make a bunch of money as a contractor in it because of legacy systems that are still around.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 8:23:03 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

nope ...  C++ c# and HTML5 ( yes I know HTML 5 is not a true language it's really just a markup)

I do think it's funny that you are tying to make the assumption that someone that uses cursive would use a very old language.  You do know that what ever language that you know today is going to be old soon don't you?

Oh and by the way I wish I did know cobol and fortran.  Why you ask.... Those that know it very well can make a bunch of money as a contractor in it because of legacy systems that are still around.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gack.  I know how to read enough COBOL and FORTRAN to translate data structures from COBOL and algorithms from FORTRAN into more modern programming languages.  But I think despite the "bunch of money" I'd rather have a 44 Mag lobotomy than write new code in them.  And that is said by someone who has spent significant time writing straight K&R C and assembler on various microprocessors.  I've been involved in numerous projects over the years to replace legacy systems.

And FWIW...  Cursive?  It was a total waste of time when I was forced to learn it in the 1970s in grade school, and it is worse now.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 8:39:12 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Gack.  I know how to read enough COBOL and FORTRAN to translate data structures from COBOL and algorithms from FORTRAN into more modern programming languages.  But I think despite the "bunch of money" I'd rather have a 44 Mag lobotomy than write new code in them.  And that is said by someone who has spent significant time writing straight K&R C and assembler on various microprocessors.  I've been involved in numerous projects over the years to replace legacy systems.

And FWIW...  Cursive?  It was a total waste of time when I was forced to learn it in the 1970s in grade school, and it is worse now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Personally I hate programming .  Not just the stuff I know about.  Not only do I hate it I personally hate dealing with most programers as they usually have the personality of a brick in my opinion.  I just decided to study it because I was curious about it.

I think you missed the point about knowing a legacy system.  I was not talking about replacing anything.  I know a few people that make good money on the side to support a legacy system that is being kept around for who knows why.  Why the companies don't replace it who knows.   But for these people they are smart because they don't go around claiming how bad it is they just take the money and run all the way to the bank. Usually with a large sum of money.  But hey different strokes right.

What other things were you "forced" to learn that you don't use today?  I bet I could come up with several things that I learned that I dont really use today but I dont claim it was a waste of time.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 8:40:52 PM EDT
[#50]
Nah, the schools are too busy teaching kids a state mandated test
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top