Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/21/2015 3:45:01 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 6:32:30 PM EDT
[#1]
How long to the "high water rescue" and / or news feature about search for a body...

People really need to respect the deadly power of water, especially lots of it moving fast...

Hope anyone going out on the water uses a LOT of caution and common sense...

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 9:59:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Added a throw rope and lifeguard can to my truck the other day after watching some idiots on the Blanco....

If it gets ugly this weekend people are going to die...
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 12:09:33 AM EDT
[#3]
I just wish it would fill the lakes up.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 9:45:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I just wish it would fill the lakes up.
View Quote

Canyon Lake is only a few feet from full pool..  ~905'ish with full pool at 909'...

Has Travis come up any meaningful amount?
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 10:12:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Travis water level has risen about 6 feet since mid January to first of May. Since May 1st it has gained another 6 feet. Still about 45 feet below full pool level.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 1:28:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 3:14:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I thought about driving my camper down and parking it on the beach, offering it up to the Hurricane gods to fill Lake Buchanan.

LCRA's Bob Rose says more and more on the way
View Quote

Pack it full of Dillos and drive it into a lake...

When the lake fills up you will have a premier secret squirrel dive destination.....
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 7:38:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Travis is up 20ft this year!!!  As of this morning 637, with full at 680.  Buchanan is at 990 with a full of 1020.  We are getting there!
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 8:19:10 AM EDT
[#9]
The rain has started early today. Its going to be a wet one.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 10:04:05 AM EDT
[#10]
I ran the Upper Guad last weekend and it was good.

My last check of the gauges suggests that any rain will bring the rivers right up.

For the inexperienced and ill equipped, this is not the time to be on the water.

Link Posted: 5/23/2015 11:29:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Biggest I've run the Guadalupe below canyon is about 1200 CFS. The weekenders still thought it was like Astroworld. They didn't ever seem to get it that you can't just turn the water off if they got into trouble. A Baylor football player was trapped insome Cypress roots under his canoe. His buddies couldn't get him out and he drowned.

Back when they still rented Royalex canoes I saw a red, yellow, blue, and a white canoe all wrapped around rocks at Hueco Falls, the party was still rocking !
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 1:28:15 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Biggest I've run the Guadalupe below canyon is about 1200 CFS. The weekenders still thought it was like Astroworld. They didn't ever seem to get it that you can't just turn the water off if they got into trouble. A Baylor football player was trapped insome Cypress roots under his canoe. His buddies couldn't get him out and he drowned.

Back when they still rented Royalex canoes I saw a red, yellow, blue, and a white canoe all wrapped around rocks at Hueco Falls, the party was still rocking !
View Quote
Above 3500, the Lower Guad can be a little pushy. I really like the 3500 level. Fun but without the drama of extra trees.

I'm really jonesing for a run on the Paluxy or Ped. They're both 5-6 hour drives for me and hard to catch.

Link Posted: 5/23/2015 6:16:10 PM EDT
[#13]
" />

Link Posted: 5/23/2015 6:44:44 PM EDT
[#14]
0.92" in just over 22 minutes...

I think my cat floated away..
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 6:48:03 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

0.92" in just over 22 minutes...

I think my cat floated away..
View Quote

It was definitely a turd floater! Good thing I'm a sinker!
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 9:47:32 PM EDT
[#16]
I hate Tornadoes!
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 11:25:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 11:29:53 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Where on the upper Guad? It's running 72,000 + CFS right now at Comfort gauge.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I ran the Upper Guad last weekend and it was good.

My last check of the gauges suggests that any rain will bring the rivers right up.

For the inexperienced and ill equipped, this is not the time to be on the water.

Where on the upper Guad? It's running 72,000 + CFS right now at Comfort gauge.

I ran from, Nichols Landing to Rebecca Creek.

Link Posted: 5/24/2015 6:47:13 AM EDT
[#19]
Lots of rain/flooding in the San Antonio area yesterday.

Medina Lake, out in my area is still only 19.8% full, but that is up from 2.7% a year ago.

Incredibly, waterdatafortexas.org shows it jumped from 12.4% yesterday to 19.8% today (so far)

In other news.......

I saw this on Facebook, and it just made me lol.

Link Posted: 5/24/2015 10:15:18 AM EDT
[#20]
Wimberley along the Blanco is all but destroyed.....

We are fine and without issue...

Link Posted: 5/24/2015 10:27:26 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 2:05:43 PM EDT
[#22]
I was out near Jourdanton the past couple days and drove up Hwy 281 to Burnet today. Guadalupe River was way up there north of Spring Branch, probably 10 feet from reaching the bridge.  Blanco State Park looked destroyed, trees knocked down.  River was high there, but I could tell from the debris it has been a lot higher yesterday/last night.  Tubing should be good this summer, if all the rain stops and the rivers settle down.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 2:41:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Kayaker saved after getting caught in rapids in the San Gabriel River
View Quote

Link

Link Posted: 5/25/2015 4:11:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 6:45:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Sadly I seem to have missed a grad opportunity to grab 2 of every animal I could find and risk it all on an arc shaped craft glory ride into San Marcos...

Maybe tomorrow..
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 7:24:01 PM EDT
[#26]
I picked the best year possible to put out 4 pallets of sod at my new home.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 11:55:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I picked the best year possible to put out 4 pallets of sod at my new home.
View Quote

All my grass seed washed away
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 11:58:40 PM EDT
[#28]
A friend of mine put 30 tons of fertilizer on his pastures a couple of weeks ago in Georgetown. With the rain they've had he's going to be up to his ass in grass ! His back property is San Gabriel bottoms.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 1:20:56 AM EDT
[#29]
Anybody that knows anything about Kayaking would never ride a river that has just experienced this kind of severe flooding. It's suicidal.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 8:11:43 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 9:29:30 AM EDT
[#31]
Houston is hunkered down. Mostly.

The roads started getting bad at just before midnight and got worse from there.

Link Posted: 5/26/2015 9:39:35 AM EDT
[#32]
We had severe flooding just a few weeks ago...

Here we go again!!

Bigger_Hammer
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 9:47:33 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Anybody that knows anything about Kayaking would never ride a river that has just experienced this kind of severe flooding. It's suicidal.
View Quote

This guy doesn't know anything about kayaking.

http://kxan.com/2015/05/24/kayaker-saved-after-getting-caught-in-rapids-in-the-san-gabriel-river/

He makes a number of significant mistakes.

He's by himself.

He's using the wrong kind of boat for the conditions.

His other equipment (PFD) is inadequate.

His skill is not up to the challenge as evidenced by his failure to recognize a dangerous low head dam, paddle hard as he went over the dam or keeping paddling to climb over the back wash.

About the only thing he did right was to actually wear his PFD instead of using it for a seat cushion.

Frankly, he's lucky to be alive.

All of that said, Texas rivers can be safely paddled at high water. It takes the right people, equipment and skill set to do it as safely as possible.

Regarding the Blanco, there will be extra debris under the water and along the banks so there is an increased risk. It just has to be measured carefully.

Link Posted: 5/26/2015 3:39:28 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

http://kxan.com/2015/05/24/kayaker-saved-after-getting-caught-in-rapids-in-the-san-gabriel-river/

He's by himself.
His skill is not up to the challenge as evidenced by his failure to recognize a dangerous low head dam, paddle hard as he went over the dam or keeping paddling to climb over the back wash.
About the only thing he did right was to actually wear his PFD instead of using it for a seat cushion.

All of that said, Texas rivers can be safely paddled at high water. It takes the right people, equipment and skill set to do it as safely as possible.

Regarding the Blanco, there will be extra debris under the water and along the banks so there is an increased risk. It just has to be measured carefully.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He's by himself.

High water is okay, but right after the storms we've just had, it's extremely dangerous because all of the debris in, and under the water. Also since the current is so fast, the undertow can be very deadly because of the churning effect, you'll go nowhere no matter how fast the water is moving, this is the place where most people drown. Just like in the video you posted, without these people there he would have lasted less than 30 minutes easily.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top