Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/3/2015 1:51:16 PM EDT
Looks like I'll be escaping my communist oppressors. Looking at places in Montgomery county, several houses in Magnolia and Montgomery I'm interested in.

Does the sheriff there do NFA sign off's? How is the hunting in the area? I've only done deer but am interested in getting some wild pigs too. For any fellow motorcyclists in the area any nice roads in the area?
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 3:18:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Looks like I'll be escaping my communist oppressors. Looking at places in Montgomery county, several houses in Magnolia and Montgomery I'm interested in.

Does the sheriff there do NFA sign off's? How is the hunting in the area? I've only done deer but am interested in getting some wild pigs too. For any fellow motorcyclists in the area any nice roads in the area?
View Quote

Regardless of whether the sheriff will sign, the general consensus around here is that the trust route is the way to go.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 3:47:37 PM EDT
[#2]

Weapon wise it's more restrictive than Mozambique.

Seriously,  

Where are you moving from?
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 5:44:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yes he does. I have been told they have people that only deal with NFA stuff. Stay out of Harris county.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 7:54:58 PM EDT
[#4]
My sister lives in Monthgomery.  There is some east Texas style shit out here but really nice overall.  Go trust.  Ranges out there are pretty pricey but it seems most are going that route.  B52 brewery makes some tasty beer.  If you don't have a boat, get one, lake Conroe is a pretty cool place.  I really like magnolia but remember two months out of the year on weekends will suck for you.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 1:35:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Regardless of whether the sheriff will sign, the general consensus around here is that the trust route is the way to go.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I do plan to setup a trust but recall hearing not long ago that the ATF wanted to make them still need CLEO, being in non-nfa state I don't follow much NFA news so maybe thats dead.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 1:38:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Weapon wise it's more restrictive than Mozambique.

Seriously,  

Where are you moving from?
View Quote

NY
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 1:47:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
My sister lives in Monthgomery.  There is some east Texas style shit out here but really nice overall.  Go trust.  Ranges out there are pretty pricey but it seems most are going that route.  B52 brewery makes some tasty beer.  If you don't have a boat, get one, lake Conroe is a pretty cool place.  I really like magnolia but remember two months out of the year on weekends will suck for you.
View Quote

No public ranges in the area? Any private ones you would recommend? I'll make a note to find B52 once I'm down there. As far as a boat I don't know if I need anymore expensive hobbies, I know a couple people who more then happy their boat was nowhere to be found after Sandy came through.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 7:39:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

No public ranges in the area? Any private ones you would recommend? I'll make a note to find B52 once I'm down there. As far as a boat I don't know if I need anymore expensive hobbies, I know a couple people who more then happy their boat was nowhere to be found after Sandy came through.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They have public it's just the prices are pretty high.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 11:11:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are several options for ranges both inside and outside.

Gun Emporium is average. Expect to deal with the good ol' boy attitude. I do not shoot there. They charge by gun and by hour last time I checked.
Shooter's Station is nice. They charge by shooter and I work with them on a regular basis.

I'm unfamiliar with Magnolia. Montgomery I am very familiar with.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 10:08:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Gun Emporium is average. Expect to deal with the good ol' boy attitude. I do not shoot there. They charge by gun and by hour last time I checked.
Shooter's Station is nice. They charge by shooter and I work with them on a regular basis.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You have the two places backwards.

Shooters Station is an indoor range. They charge by the hr. I believe $12/hr. No 7.62x39, no steel cased ammo (not AP or BiMetal, all steel cased is prohibited).

Gun Emporium is outdoor. They charge $7 per gun + $7 per customer. NO TIME LIMIT (other than closing time). If you get there when they open, you can stay till they close.

Spring guns and ammo is nice and also indoor and per hr. ($10?) and you can rent MGs!

Thunder is on 1314 just south of 242 and is outdoor. They've recently expanded/improved.  Not sure about fees.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 10:26:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Shooters Station is an indoor range. They charge by the hr. I believe $12/hr. No 7.62x39, no steel cased ammo (not AP or BiMetal, all steel cased is prohibited).

Gun Emporium is outdoor. They charge $7 per gun + $7 per customer. NO TIME LIMIT (other than closing time). If you get there when they open, you can stay till they close.

Spring guns and ammo is nice and also indoor and per hr. ($10?)

Thunder is on 1314 just south of 242 and is outdoor. They've recently expanded/improved.  Not sure about fees.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I work with Shooters Station by person, so I guess I'm not the norm.  

Thunder has a 500 yard range and you can rent out the pistol bays.  They also do IDPA there.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 11:01:43 AM EDT
[#12]
http://www.shootersstation.net

$18/hr/shooter.

To be fair though, I believe SS also offers year long memberships.

Gun Emporium also has Skeet ranges and a Sporting Clay course.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 11:03:17 AM EDT
[#13]
Thanks, never saw a per gun fee before, places I've gone to always been hourly or just an entrance fee. I can see now why private ranges were suggested before. I'll still check out all those places though, always nice to check out new shops even if they turn out to be a bit sucky.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 11:04:03 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Yes he does. I have been told they have people that only deal with NFA stuff. Stay out of Harris county.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

QFT!!!

Link Posted: 5/5/2015 11:07:13 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Thanks, never saw a per gun fee before, places I've gone to always been hourly or just an entrance fee. I can see now why private ranges were suggested before. I'll still check out all those places though, always nice to check out new shops even if they turn out to be a bit sucky.
View Quote

No problem. It sounds like it's expensive, but when you consider that there is no time limit... It isn't that bad. ETA: range masters at Gun Emporium are sticklers for the rules in their little fiefdom though. They're mostly older guys who want to avoid anyone getting injured on their watch.

I would like to find a private range or NRA range locally (Conroe/Spring/Montgomery area) myself. I'd pay $1K plus for long term access. No question.

My parents live 3 minutes from a private club in Orange, TX.  Daddy doesn't even like to shoot that much. Makes me both jealous AND sad!
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 11:08:40 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good to know. I'm on a trust, but who knows when BATFE will arbitrarily change the ruling on that?
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 8:03:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Montgomery county beats the crap out of Harris.

Get with SCodyTexas for a trust to do NFA.

Montgomvery County is the place to be if you want to be close to where the jobs are..re: Oil Bidness etc. There are country places etc. and good FFL guys
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 1:56:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

No problem. It sounds like it's expensive, but when you consider that there is no time limit... It isn't that bad. ETA: range masters at Gun Emporium are sticklers for the rules in their little fiefdom though. They're mostly older guys who want to avoid anyone getting injured on their watch.

I would like to find a private range or NRA range locally (Conroe/Spring/Montgomery area) myself. I'd pay $1K plus for long term access. No question.

My parents live 3 minutes from a private club in Orange, TX.  Daddy doesn't even like to shoot that much. Makes me both jealous AND sad!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll have to change my habits if I goto charges per gun range, I generally bring several guns with me and some only put maybe 5-10 rounds though some of them while putting a few hundred through others. Your Texas range nazi's will probably seem pretty lenient after my years of experience with NY range nazis.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 2:00:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Montgomery county beats the crap out of Harris.

Get with SCodyTexas for a trust to do NFA.

Montgomvery County is the place to be if you want to be close to where the jobs are..re: Oil Bidness etc. There are country places etc. and good FFL guys
View Quote

Got some friends in Houston already most of them told me to stay out of Harris already, which is fine by me I'm tired of city and suburban living wanted something a little more rural.
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 12:17:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Sheriff will sign for suppressors but not SBR last I heard.  
Taxes are rediculous.  Maybe not compared to Commiefornia, but compared to the rest of Texas.  
Traffic sucks.  The county has grown by leaps and bounds the last decade, and the roads have not.
Another road bond just got voted down, third in 10 years or so.
There is not much rural left, and what is wont last long.  People in Magnolia thought they were in the country 10 years ago, now, not so much.
Basically I would love to GTFO of here.
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 7:29:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Taxes are rediculous.  Maybe not compared to Commiefornia, but compared to the rest of Texas.  
Traffic sucks.  The county has grown by leaps and bounds the last decade, and the roads have not.
There is not much rural left, and what is wont last long.  People in Magnolia thought they were in the country 10 years ago, now, not so much.
View Quote

Well that sucks.  I'm actually closing on a house in Montgomery County.  Good thing I already have a few SBRs, a trust, and eForm access.  And I'm not afraid to use them!

We may be there for two years, may be there for 20.  Wife's job is relocating.  It's a fantastic house, but way more built up than what I'm used to, being from very rural PA.  
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 9:51:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Well that sucks.  I'm actually closing on a house in Montgomery County.  Good thing I already have a few SBRs, a trust, and eForm access.  And I'm not afraid to use them!

We may be there for two years, may be there for 20.  Wife's job is relocating.  It's a fantastic house, but way more built up than what I'm used to, being from very rural PA.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think texas is now a must sign/approve state
Link Posted: 5/17/2015 12:06:44 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Thunder has a 500 yard range and you can rent out the pistol bays.  They also do IDPA there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thought they only went to 300?? hmm..
Link Posted: 5/17/2015 1:30:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Slight update looks like Magnolia is going to be the destination, offers been accepted.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top