Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/3/2015 4:13:45 AM EDT
Can anyone give me the run down on Austin?  Wife and I have been discussing moving there so my son can go to The Texas School for the Deaf.  The move would be a year or two out while we get things in order to sell our house etc.

Just looking for tips/advice on which areas to avoid, which ones are nice.  I've been a few times but just for the weekend or something and it's been 4-5 years since I've been up there so I don't know the area very well.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 6:16:34 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Can anyone give me the run down on Austin?  Wife and I have been discussing moving there so my son can go to The Texas School for the Deaf.  The move would be a year or two out while we get things in order to sell our house etc.

Just looking for tips/advice on which areas to avoid, which ones are nice.  I've been a few times but just for the weekend or something and it's been 4-5 years since I've been up there so I don't know the area very well.
View Quote

The run-down on Austin is, its full of liberal, democrat pigs from California who are trying their best to destroy Texas.

In my opinion, you'd be better off buying a house in Buda. It wont cost as much.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 9:06:45 AM EDT
[#2]
I wouldn't live in Austin. Hays county isn't bad, but I like Williamson County better, reason I moved up here. Both are a bit of a drive to the School for the Deaf, Hays county might be a bit closer.

The big problem with Austin is not those of us who left the fucked up state of Kommiefornia, but the local moon bat democrats that collected in Austin. Austin has been a liberal cesspool for 40 years. Would be a lot worse if it wasn't for being the Capitol, and the rest of the counties allowing a place for normal people to live.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 9:59:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Austin is fine. School for the deaf is in south central, so look towards buda/euhland/Kyle for housing if you can't afford $$$$$$$ housing in the city or don't want it.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 10:40:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The run-down on Austin is, its full of liberal, democrat pigs from California who are trying their best to destroy Texas.

In my opinion, you'd be better off buying a house in Buda. It wont cost as much.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What he said.  Great gun shop in Cedar Park. Guy used to be in Houston near where I lived. David, I think is his name. he's an rfcommer and a good man, not trying to get rich on your nickel, gives fair trades etc.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 11:42:27 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm not sure if the School for the Deaf is north/south/east/west, but I'd pick a direction and live somewhere outside of Austin rather than in Austin proper.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 2:52:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I'm not sure if the School for the Deaf is north/south/east/west, but I'd pick a direction and live somewhere outside of Austin rather than in Austin proper.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/3/2015 4:06:54 PM EDT
[#7]
As others have stated, the school is just south of downtown, maybe 2-3 miles south of the bridge on Congress. That area is called SoCo (South Congress), and its one of the hip areas of town. It's pretty expensive real estate.  
To be honest, I would HATE to commute from Buda/Kyle/etc avery day. I35 sucks goatballs if you are commuting daily. Traffic is terrible here. I would advise trying to find a place between work and the school in a good area.

IDGAF what anyone here says, I love living in Austin. Lotsa stuff to do, great music, amazing food, good parks, Hill Country is right on the edge of town...What's not to love?

Everyone bashes all the liberals, but I've hardly ran into any that are outspoken and in my face about anything. Most of the time I been here, I have lived in GOP districts.

Dunno what industry you work in, but if it's tech, hit me up.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 4:27:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the info guys.

Whomper, I'm a systems engineer. VMware mostly these days.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 4:46:31 PM EDT
[#9]
A lot of the big tech companies are up north in Round Rock, Cedar Park, etc. VMware has a big office off of Loop 360. A lot of smaller companies & startups are downtown and south of there.
When you start looking at jobs, hit me up.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 7:09:43 PM EDT
[#10]

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://i.imgur.com/7PGn7Le.jpg

Based on this map, commuting there every day, it dont matter if you live in austin our outside.

It will STILL take you 2 hours to get there.  My brother in law is stationed at camp mayberry and it takes him 2 hours to get there from Buda.

Link Posted: 5/4/2015 12:28:07 PM EDT
[#11]
I just moved West of 360 and love it out here.  Can walk to the lake and it's only a 30 min drive into downtown.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 1:44:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
As others have stated, the school is just south of downtown, maybe 2-3 miles south of the bridge on Congress. That area is called SoCo (South Congress), and its one of the hip areas of town. It's pretty expensive real estate.  To be honest, I would HATE to commute from Buda/Kyle/etc avery day. I35 sucks goatballs if you are commuting daily. Traffic is terrible here. I would advise trying to find a place between work and the school in a good area.
IDGAF what anyone here says, I love living in Austin. Lotsa stuff to do, great music, amazing food, good parks, Hill Country is right on the edge of town...What's not to love?
Everyone bashes all the liberals, but I've hardly ran into any that are outspoken and in my face about anything. Most of the time I been here, I have lived in GOP districts.
View Quote

Pfffft... The commute from Buda/Kyle is nothing. My wife commutes from New Braunfels to downtown Austin.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 8:59:34 PM EDT
[#13]
I go from south Austin to new braunfels daily now.  Sad thing it my commute while greater in distance is less than it was in time.  10 miles was about 45-1 hour.  Now 33 miles is 35 minutes!
Quoted:

Pfffft... The commute from Buda/Kyle is nothing. My wife commutes from New Braunfels to downtown Austin.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
As others have stated, the school is just south of downtown, maybe 2-3 miles south of the bridge on Congress. That area is called SoCo (South Congress), and its one of the hip areas of town. It's pretty expensive real estate.  To be honest, I would HATE to commute from Buda/Kyle/etc avery day. I35 sucks goatballs if you are commuting daily. Traffic is terrible here. I would advise trying to find a place between work and the school in a good area.

Link Posted: 5/4/2015 9:12:38 PM EDT
[#14]
We bought a house in Round Rock and love it.  I can go into  Austin easily using the toll roads or go ride the twisties out west without too much trouble.  My other half makes it from Old Settlers and 35 over to Camp Mabry in 30 minutes and the airport is about 40 minutes away.  We looked all over but settled here due to established neighborhoods and its not Travis county.  You can go get a new build out in Hutto or Manor but they are all HOA and have zero trees.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 9:14:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Aside from the housing pricing, Austin needs to be retaken from the Lib's.

Move there,take it back .
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 9:16:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Consider east of town... close to Bastrop.   Taxes will be lower outside of Travis county.  My daily commute from the NW is 16 miles and takes about an hour each way.  
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 10:50:37 PM EDT
[#17]
I love the Austin area...  LaRue Tactical is just west of... STI is just north of...  STAY OUT OF TRAVIS COUNTY!!!!  It's a nightmare!!!
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 11:35:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Austin is Great,  Don't listen to the haters that cannot afford to live here.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 10:18:04 AM EDT
[#19]
We live in Cedar Park, and like it.

However that would be too far to get to South Austin everyday IMHO.

I would look on the West side of 35 in Buda, pick up a slightly older house with 1/2 -1 acre lot
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 10:48:50 AM EDT
[#20]
I'm also in Cedar Park.  I like living up here, but it would be a nightmare if I had to commute downtown (or past the river) at rush hour.  I'd urge you to live somewhere south of the river.
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 6:33:06 PM EDT
[#21]
I'm in manchaca on the hays county side which is 16 miles from downtown.  If I had to commute during rush hour I'd live in a small affordable (ghetto) house around 290/71 and s.1st.  However, I'm lucky enough to do most of my commutes during off-peak hours in 20-25 minutes.  This way I don't have to stress about traffic or having my house broken into every day. (When I say ghetto I mean petty crime - you wouldn't have to worry about getting mugged or shot...... for the most part)

My neighborhood is on the edge of rural and upper middle class suburb (circle c) so it's definitely worth being 16 miles out.  If you can leave home before 6:30 and start back from downtown after 18:30, traffic won't be too terrible.
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 7:59:51 PM EDT
[#22]
I would look into Oak Hill area.  You can hop on 290 and shoot to Congress in the AM for school and/or hit Mopac for work.  Prices in Oak Hill are a little better than South Austin and MUCH better than anything near downtown.

Link Posted: 5/9/2015 4:55:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kyle Is even cheaper
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 5:16:11 PM EDT
[#24]
My wife found out yesterday the school for the deaf probably won't be the best option since he has a cochlear implant. There is supposed to be a good school in Round Rock. They have a better program for deaf kids with implants.
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 5:49:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I'm in manchaca on the hays county side which is 16 miles from downtown.  If I had to commute during rush hour I'd live in a small affordable (ghetto) house around 290/71 and s.1st.  However, I'm lucky enough to do most of my commutes during off-peak hours in 20-25 minutes.  This way I don't have to stress about traffic or having my house broken into every day. (When I say ghetto I mean petty crime - you wouldn't have to worry about getting mugged or shot...... for the most part)

My neighborhood is on the edge of rural and upper middle class suburb (circle c) so it's definitely worth being 16 miles out.  If you can leave home before 6:30 and start back from downtown after 18:30, traffic won't be too terrible.
View Quote

Don't confuse him. This is pronounced as MANSHACK by the locals
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 11:09:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And my 3 yr old daughter asks why she doesn't live in Girlshack.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top