Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/30/2015 8:39:36 PM EDT
How many will buy more ammo and fire arms last weekend in August?

TX Senate approved a plan for a sales tax free weekend for ammo., guns, and hunting supplies..
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 11:57:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like a winner to me!  All for it.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 8:55:55 AM EDT
[#2]
I saw where this was being done to counter the "tax free" gun weekends in Louisiana.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 9:35:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Sounds like a good time to stock up on ammo.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 10:40:59 AM EDT
[#4]
tax free all the time online!
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 11:16:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I think this is what they are probably trying to regain.

I buy bulk online to skip taxes. If their was a tax free weekend I could skip taxes and shipping.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 11:17:26 AM EDT
[#6]
I'll buy some ammo if nothing else.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 11:47:58 AM EDT
[#7]

Depends on where I am in my quest to purchase a gun (receivers count) every month for my first year back in Texas (Jan to Jan).  So far I'm at 8 guns and beginning month 4...
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 4:42:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Lets hope there are some good sales going on.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 4:56:11 PM EDT
[#9]
I plan on making a trip to GT
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 5:00:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Tax fee weekend on guns..
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 1:15:43 AM EDT
[#11]
IMO this is just a feel good measure that doesn't do very much. It's crap that they could get this passed but there still isn't any more movement on open carry or campus carry.

Sure it's nice to save a couple bucks one random weekend, but you will probably save more just waiting for a better deal some other time during the year.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 2:33:04 AM EDT
[#12]
Nice!
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 9:19:17 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Actually Texas is one of the few states that requires its citizens to be taxed on all online purchases, some merchants however do not enforce that.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 2:33:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
IMO this is just a feel good measure that doesn't do very much. It's crap that they could get this passed but there still isn't any more movement on open carry or campus carry.

Sure it's nice to save a couple bucks one random weekend, but you will probably save more just waiting for a better deal some other time during the year.
View Quote

Only on the internet could you find someone bitching about a tax cut.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 12:29:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Can you provide a link to a source please?
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 12:41:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 5:08:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Passed.  HB 849

Looks like 2 weekends.  End of Aug and End of Oct.
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 9:51:28 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Passed.  HB 849

Looks like 2 weekends.  End of Aug and End of Oct.
View Quote

Time to start my ammo fund stash..........
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 11:00:23 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Actually Texas is one of the few states that requires its citizens to be taxed on all online purchases, some merchants however do not enforce that.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, not exactly.
Texas does not require an out of state seller to charge Texas sales tax on online purchases by Texas residents.
If that online retailer has a business presence in the state, then Texas requires the retailer to collect TX sales tax at the time of purchase. For example:
-Bud's....you buy a firearm from them...........they do not collect TX sales tax. Bud's does not have a business presence in Texas.
-Cabela's....you buy a firearm from the Cabelas store in Minnesota.....you'll be charged TX sales tax. Cabelas has locations in TX.

But Texas (like all states with a sales tax) also has a "Use tax".............charged at the same % as sales tax. Unlike sales tax, the use tax is remitted by the buyer. If you buy that gun from Bud's, then Texas law requires you to pay Use Tax directly to the State Comptrollers Office.

Link Posted: 5/13/2015 11:38:40 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Well, not exactly.

Texas does not require an out of state seller to charge Texas sales tax on online purchases by Texas residents.

If that online retailer has a business presence in the state, then Texas requires the retailer to collect TX sales tax at the time of purchase. For example:

-Bud's....you buy a firearm from them...........they do not collect TX sales tax. Bud's does not have a business presence in Texas.

-Cabela's....you buy a firearm from the Cabelas store in Minnesota.....you'll be charged TX sales tax. Cabelas has locations in TX.

But Texas (like all states with a sales tax) also has a "Use tax".............charged at the same % as sales tax. Unlike sales tax, the use tax is remitted by the buyer. If you buy that gun from Bud's, then Texas law requires you to pay Use Tax directly to the State Comptrollers Office.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, not exactly.

http://comptroller.texas.gov/taxinfo/use/

And I will most likely buy a gun on that weekend.  Anybody know if reloading supplies will fall into this tax holiday?  Dies, powder, primers,presses?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top