Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/20/2015 10:32:01 AM EDT
Hey guys, buddy called me last night asking if I wanted in on a DIY aoudad hunt out near Devil's River.  What he thought was going to be on state/public land...was not  I checked once I got home, no public hunt land in that county (have to go two counties over and I don't know that they even have/allow aoudad hunting on that plot).

Anywho, he's going to ask his buddy what he did, but while we wait, anyone else have recommendations on aoudad hunts out that way?  Complete DIY is fine, buddy has a small trailer for us to sleep/eat/pee in, keep all our trash and stuff there and just hoof it looking for the sheep.

Thanks guys!
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 10:50:19 AM EDT
[#1]
I've seen lots of nice Aoudad out at this place. A friend of mine used to work there and we would roam the property some weekends. It's a full blown hunting ranch if you decide to go that route. Beautiful country out there.

http://www.kyleranch.com/
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 12:28:40 PM EDT
[#2]
I lease a place in llano county that has aoudad on it, the landowner has us (lease hunters) guide a few hunts a year for folks (extra income for them)...  Ours come to a few of our feeders so we just hunt from the blind like you would white tail.  Sounds like you're looking for more of a spot and stalk hunt on the cheap.

Best time to hunt them is late September early October when they are rutting and have other things on their mind.  If you've never hunted them before I could give some advice about what to look for to get the biggest ram you can and shot placement etc...  Or if you're interested in a guided hunt let me know and we can talk about it via PM.

Here's the adolescent ram I shot last year, he's 28 or 29 inches and the biggest we have taken is around 32 with quite a bit more mass.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top