Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/14/2015 11:21:33 PM EDT
Friends mom with 20 something years got laid off when the Livingston TX one closed without notice on Monday.  All Livingston has is a Walmart for the most part.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 11:28:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Yeah, I needed to buy a bunch of crap that will work once, then break.

And paper towels.

Went to the Dollar General instead.  Life is Good!!!
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 11:30:30 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

And paper towels.

View Quote
Not sure that was his point, but that escalated quickly?

Link Posted: 4/14/2015 11:48:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And paper towels.

Yeah I don't know what that had to do with what I posted but ok.  I try to avoid walmarts like the plague though.  Don't have enough room for that many spare mags.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 12:23:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Local news had a report on that.  Walmart said it was a plumbing issue with the building and will be closed for about 6 months.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 12:27:39 AM EDT
[#5]
The one in Midland shut down as well. Does anyone believe it is just for the plumbing? It seems kind of odd.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 12:30:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Local news had a report on that.  Walmart said it was a plumbing issue with the building and will be closed for about 6 months.
View Quote

That just sounds like a really long time to fix a plumbing issue, especially for a store thats only closed one day a year.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 12:39:26 AM EDT
[#7]
same story all across the country.  you will never see them open up again.   link    http://www.cnbc.com/id/101380735...         so much for a cold link.      plumbing problem,,,, that's a load of sh*t.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 3:20:53 AM EDT
[#8]
I would think they would just renovate around the problem and possibly do one store at a time if it were only 6.  

Besides doesn't this violate the Federal WARN act that mandates large employers give you at least 60 days notice of such events?  Some news agencies are saying they don't even have a permit on file for plumbing work.

http://www.warnactlaw.com/federal.html
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 6:45:19 AM EDT
[#9]
they just gave raises across the board, across the country...$2 to 5 per hour

anyone didn't think that'd come with a price? it is going to effect many small town/counties negatively.

don't know if my local one is closed or not..havnt been to town for a week...but it feeds at least a 50mi radius and everyone therein and employees many.

Link Posted: 4/15/2015 11:31:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
they just gave raises across the board, across the country...$2 to 5 per hour

anyone didn't think that'd come with a price? it is going to effect many small town/counties negatively.

don't know if my local one is closed or not..havnt been to town for a week...but it feeds at least a 50mi radius and everyone therein and employees many.

View Quote

always reprocussions
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 11:39:56 AM EDT
[#11]
Guess they will have to drive to Huntsville if they really want to go to walmart
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 11:42:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Or Woodville, or Cleveland - if I remember correctly
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 12:28:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Dont come to Cleveland. That place is packed all the time. Even late at night.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 5:51:20 PM EDT
[#14]
So where are a big box store full of dead eyed white trash and illegal aliens going to shop now, the HEB where I shop?  Thats just peachy.  
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 6:55:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My wife and I went in there one night, and it was like a who's who of People of Walmart. If PoW could have a Greatist Hits collection, it would be done there...
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 7:07:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Interestingly enough I saw this thread prior to going to work at a store today.  I had forgotten about it until I heard two managers talking about it so I asked.  He said it was 5 stores around the country that closed.  I mentioned that closing for a "plumbing" problem was strange as I've seen them completely remodel stores and have portable restrooms out front while they work on the old bathrooms.  He agreed it was strange and then said he would leave it at that. Kind of got the hint he didn't want to talk about it, but he did say they will open back up in 6 months.  They can build stores in 6 months so I don't buy into the plumbing problem.  Even if their "plumbing" issue was the fire sprinklers, I've seen retail stores pay the city to have a fire marshal posted there on duty while they are open.   Now if these are older stores, then I could see shutting them down for asbestos abatement issues, but usually they take care of that when they do remodels.  Didn't they shut down a store up north (maybe Canada?) that the employees voted to unionize?
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 8:35:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Is she going to get the 60 day severance pay?
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 10:10:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Must of been some union talk going on.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 8:42:02 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

was about to ask this...
walmart don't play, you try to unionize against them they will just shut the m***f**** down and call it a day.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 11:57:20 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

The one in Midland shut down as well. Does anyone believe it is just for the plumbing? It seems kind of odd.
View Quote

Staff Report

NewsWest 9

MIDLAND - A Midland Walmart will be closing their doors for at least six months starting on Monday night.

Walmart representatives tell NewsWest 9, it's because of plumbing issues.

Employees at the Walmart store on Midland Drive weren't told until 2 p.m. Monday afternoon that they won't be going back to work on Tuesday.

Also, not all 400 employees will keep their jobs.

"Deciding to close the store is not a decision we make lightly but after careful consideration, we thought it was necessary to make these repairs so we can better serve our customers and the community in the long run."

Company representatives confirm that some workers will be reassigned to the Walmart on Rankin Highway or one of their locations in Odessa.

They couldn't tell NewsWest 9 how many of the 400 Midland Drive employees would be transferred.

The employees who don't get transferred will get 60 days of pay and severance if it applies. After that, they can reapply to Walmart or find another job.

Walmart Representative, Bill Wertz, says they aim to take care of all plumbing issues and re-open their Midland Drive location by October.

"We will immediately begin the process to address the issues and intend to re-open the store as soon as all the plumbing issues are resolved," said Wertz.

One of the tinfoil theories floating around is that the 5 Wally Worlds closed is that radioactive food was delivered to those stores and now they need to be ‘decontaminated.’  

Link Posted: 4/16/2015 12:10:17 PM EDT
[#21]
It's just a round about way to get rid of people. I suspect it's possible the Midland store had a drop in sales due to the outflux of oil workers from the area.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 12:20:23 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

It's just a round about way to get rid of people. I suspect it's possible the Midland store had a drop in sales due to the outflux of oil workers from the area.
View Quote

Possibly. But if the efflux of oil patch folks would cause them to close the north store which is near residential areas, why wouldn't they close the south store which is in an industrial area instead/too?

They did say they are transferring some people to other area stores, but they didn't say how many. They are also supposed to be giving laid off workers 6 months of severance pay...which is the period of time they claim the renovations will take.

Curious. Occam's razor would resolve that maybe the 5 stores had the worst plumbing issues of all their stores so they're going to fix them. The bees know.

Link Posted: 4/16/2015 1:27:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote
It hasn't slowed down that much. They are losing a ton of money with the store closed down. So it has to be well worth it for the closure. For example the plumbing trouble has created a serious mold situation that needs to be remediated. Or as stated above contaminated food. These places are all about making that dollar.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 1:59:36 PM EDT
[#24]
They built a new wall mart here in less than 6 months, Bare dirt to a big ass super center. There is no way in hell a plumbing problem could take that long to fix. It ain't exactly like walmart has a shit ton of plumbing anyway.

I am not a huge conspiracy guy but the story seems BS.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 2:01:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

was about to ask this...
walmart don't play, you try to unionize against them they will just shut the m***f**** down and call it a day.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

was about to ask this...

This is the most plausible explanation. I used to work in the home office of a large big-box retailer. Executives (behind closed doors) stated categorically that they would close a store before allowing a union in to any location.  The company also had a "swat team" from HR  legal to go into any market showing any union activity.

Walmart - by closing a store for 6 months, can get rid of the union organizers and rebuild a store staff after re-opening. The closure due to facility issues covers WM from the 60 day notice of layoff requirement in most jurisdictions.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 3:09:07 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 3:44:08 PM EDT
[#27]
One thing is for sure, the cities where these stores are closing will surely miss the sales tax revenue.  Especially the small towns like Livingston.

Anyone ever hear the story of how the Wal-Mart in Hearne closed down due to rampant theft?  This was several years ago.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 6:00:35 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Anyone ever hear the story of how the Wal-Mart in Hearne closed down due to rampant theft?  This was several years ago.
View Quote

I heard about that from a manager there at the old Tetco gas station there not long ago.  I was there doing some service work after 7-Eleven bought out the Tetco retail chain.  Didn't get many details, but it must have been pretty bad for them to shut down a store, even one of the small town stores. We service Wal-Mart as well, but I don't remember ever hearing anything about it.  But then again, it's one small store in a small town out of the hundreds we cover in our district so it's sometimes hard to remember them all, lol
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 7:44:42 PM EDT
[#29]
The union thing seems most plausible...except Midland appears rabidly anti-union and one would think that if union organizing was going on at the north store...it would likely be happening at the south store too.

Midland is oil patch. If it wasn't for oil money, Midland would dry up and blow away. Oil folks hate unions.

Link Posted: 4/16/2015 9:34:05 PM EDT
[#30]
So are all the Walmarts plumbing connected to other locations like the root system in oak trees. Otherwise it seems awfully suspicious they all experience plumbing issues at once.    Apparently WM assumes their customers are as retarded as they look to believe that.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 2:40:44 AM EDT
[#31]
Stop at Porter/New Caney, and you should be able to pick up your meth on isle 10, they sell out pretty quick from what I understand. They need to open up a denture shop on isle 11 and they would make a killing, probably be able to keep the other stores open.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 7:43:13 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
The union thing seems most plausible...except Midland appears rabidly anti-union and one would think that if union organizing was going on at the north store...it would likely be happening at the south store too.

Midland is oil patch. If it wasn't for oil money, Midland would dry up and blow away. Oil folks hate unions.

View Quote

This.  I cannot imagine why oil workers would hate unions?  Oh wait maybe because oil workers actually work for a living and not sit around and cry that they don't get 40 breaks in a day or guaranteed pay raises even with an economy in the shitter.  Unions are a leech sucking the life blood out of this country.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 2:27:34 PM EDT
[#33]

I drove by the north Midland store about 11:15 this morning. There were rent-a-Blarts at the parking lot entrances and about 100 cars parked in a group near one of the doors. A Coke delivery truck was parked along the front of the building. Other than that...it looked pretty normal.

There weren't any construction company pickups or equipment around, and no vehicles in the rear of the building. About 20 times the normal amount of pallets were stacked along the back fence though.

I didn't see any FEMA trucks, black helicopters, or Military Vehicles around the area.

Media reports say that the employees get their normal pay checks for the next two months, are encouraged to take positions at other Wally-Worlds in the area, and if they are still out of work in 2 months they will get a 6 month severance package and be eligible for 24 months of unemployment.

Whatever they're doing...it ain't apparent from the outside.

Incidentally, Wal-mart Stores Texas LP owns the building and it is appraised at $9,133,350.00 for tax purposes. Seems unlikely they would shit can a 9 million dollar facility.

Could be they're trying to get a property tax break by threatening permanent closure.

And the mystery continues....

Link Posted: 4/20/2015 5:56:03 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I drove by the north Midland store about 11:15 this morning. There were rent-a-Blarts at the parking lot entrances and about 100 cars parked in a group near one of the doors. A Coke delivery truck was parked along the front of the building. Other than that...it looked pretty normal.

There weren't any construction company pickups or equipment around, and no vehicles in the rear of the building. About 20 times the normal amount of pallets were stacked along the back fence though.

I didn't see any FEMA trucks, black helicopters, or Military Vehicles around the area.

Media reports say that the employees get their normal pay checks for the next two months, are encouraged to take positions at other Wally-Worlds in the area, and if they are still out of work in 2 months they will get a 6 month severance package and be eligible for 24 months of unemployment.

Whatever they're doing...it ain't apparent from the outside.

Incidentally, Wal-mart Stores Texas LP owns the building and it is appraised at $9,133,350.00 for tax purposes. Seems unlikely they would shit can a 9 million dollar facility.

Could be they're trying to get a property tax break by threatening permanent closure.

And the mystery continues....

View Quote

If they just closed a week ago, it takes awhile to get merchandise, especially perishable groceries, out of the store.  I know from overhearing a pharmacy manager that they were trying to transfer out meds to other stores that needed them.  Still, none of it makes any sense.  "Plumbing" in any Wal-Mart store consists of the restrooms that are at the front and very back of the store.  Then there are usually drain lines run from the refrigerated/frozen cases in the grocery side of the store.  That's the drainage in the slab.  Most other water lines and refrigeration lines are run overhead. Even if all that had to be replaced, they could partition those areas off and still keep the rest of the store going to maintain some revenue for the store.  They do that all the time when remodeling or expanding stores.  Only other "plumbing" issue would be natural gas running to heating units on the roof or if you wanted to be liberal with the plumbing term maybe the fire sprinkler system.  Either way, still no reason to shut down a store for 6 months, especially if it's making a profit.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 6:16:50 PM EDT
[#35]
Several news outlets are reporting workers were in talks with a union, the United food and commercial workers international Union.  As I said in the other thread they were fighting a losing battle.  If you don't like the pay then find another job.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 6:42:39 PM EDT
[#36]
The very first thing you are shown as a new Walton employee is a anti union/you will be terminated video.

I worked for the WM distribution for seven years. During that time it I noticed that any time a group of employees banded together about an issue they started to get written up for things others would not. Different shifts and departments were pitted against each other by management. That's just my experience working at one specific place, I can't comment on how it is at other places.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top