Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/30/2015 7:53:20 PM EDT
I've been looking at places lately and found one I'm thinking of putting an offer in on a place in Grand Prairie. How's the area? Anything I should be concerned about??
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 8:19:00 PM EDT
[#1]
It depends on the specific area.  In the neighborhoods near Joe Pool Lake there are some nice homes.  In other areas of GP, Si Habla Espanol? Check the GP police webpage, they should list crime reports by area.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:32:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Mistake
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:39:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Grand Prairie is a big city. It really depends on where. South has good neighborhoods. North east and west not so much. I would say anything north of hwy 20 is a no- go.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 1:27:51 AM EDT
[#4]
I would probably stay clear all together .
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 3:45:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Appreciate the feed back guys! Looks like GP is going to get off the list unless it's something pretty south. The place was about 1/4 Mile N of 20 and just East of Bush.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 8:22:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Appreciate the feed back guys! Looks like GP is going to get off the list unless it's something pretty south. The place was about 1/4 Mile N of 20 and just East of Bush.
View Quote

Im looking in the DFW area as well. Im thinking Carrollton, Richardson, Lewisville, Colony, Garland areas. That whole northern section.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 9:14:25 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

View Quote

It's not a bad area as in they have lots of rapes and murders, it's just mostly Hispanic and some parts are a little run down.

Do you need to stay near 20, or are you just looking all over?

Link Posted: 3/31/2015 9:15:49 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Im looking in the DFW area as well. Im thinking Carrollton, Richardson, Lewisville, Colony, Garland areas. That whole northern section.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I think you're going to get good feedback on all of those areas.

Link Posted: 3/31/2015 1:53:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Grand Prairie isn't bad, but you will need to speak Spanish in a good portion of it, but that's becoming true of many places in our state now.

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've lived in this area for a long time, and I'll give you one bit of advice RE sites won't: Garland has good prices on houses, but they have a city run electric utility which will love you most tenderly (and, no, you don't have an option). I am house shopping now and am avoiding it, though it's situated nicely for where we work and have family and all.

Link Posted: 3/31/2015 2:11:52 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Grand Prairie isn't bad, but you will need to speak Spanish in a good portion of it, but that's becoming true of many places in our state now.
I've lived in this area for a long time, and I'll give you one bit of advice RE sites won't: Garland has good prices on houses, but they have a city run electric utility which will love you most tenderly (and, no, you don't have an option). I am house shopping now and am avoiding it, though it's situated nicely for where we work and have family and all.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Garland is also a long way from everything.

I saw on the news recently that the northern part of DFW is where most of the growth is and housing prices are high now.

Link Posted: 3/31/2015 6:39:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Where are you going to work? Grand Prairie is pretty far away from the other areas listed.

That said, Grand Prairie's best days are behind it by about a decade.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 8:27:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I saw on the news recently that the northern part of DFW is where most of the growth is and housing prices are high now.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

It's not a long way from everything. It's really close to a lot of my family. Also, since I work in north Dallas and the woman works in Richardson, there are parts of Garland that would be really close to both. Low house prices (we're house shopping now) make it look tempting, but not when we remember the ridiculous prices we paid for electricity in a small apartment in Garland a few years ago.
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 9:29:42 AM EDT
[#13]
I work in GP by the airport, and there are plenty of nice neighborhoods right around there.    It is an older city though, and isn't as nice as someplace like Lewisville or Plano.
Speaking spanish will be helpful anywhere in DFW.

Link Posted: 4/3/2015 10:43:07 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I live in The Colony and work near DFW - the traffic sucks.  Big time.

You can get a lot of house for your $ in The Colony and not near as snobby as Frisco.   Tons of new infrastructure going in so tax base is great and going to get even better.   Downside is the traffic surrounding and cutting through the city.  They are in the process of widening Main St which will help eventually but right now it is a giant PIA.
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 9:26:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Lived in Grand Prairir for 20 years, great place to live, good schools, lots of money from race track, lots to do. Good police force.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top