Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/26/2015 2:33:20 PM EDT
Is there a spot along the border where I could park my car walk into Mexico and visit for a little bit and walk back without having all of the bad stuff you always hear about happen ? I have never been to Mexico and yes I know the stories .
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 2:38:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Car theft is an issue.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 2:39:57 PM EDT
[#2]
I think there's a foot bridge in Brownsville.

I wouldn't leave a car unattended anywhere near the boarder crossing though.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 2:59:43 PM EDT
[#3]
It's really not worth it.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 3:09:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Footbridge and parking at Progresso/Nuevo Progresso. It's no big deal. Car theft/breakin is always a possibility. Take a shitty ride and don't leave anything in it.

Other than that, Passport, no big deal.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 4:19:26 PM EDT
[#5]
I would be in my Honda . I take it there is a lot of crime at the border .
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 4:53:06 PM EDT
[#6]
It's not worth the trouble, YMMV.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 5:34:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Many years ago when I was in college in the mid 90s we used to go down to the border, park,  walk across, and go drink and bar hop.  

Most all the major crossings have a foot bridge of some sort, although I have never gone across at juarez.   Only got the 3rd degree once coming back from Nuevo Laredo to Laredo and got pulled into the back room vigorously searched and interrogated by customs and immigration for about 30 minutes.  (I think they though me and a couple buddies were with this pasty looking junkie who had a mountain of pills on him).

Other option is to go down to Big Bend or Lajitas and walk or wade across the river.  

I don't believe you are violating any laws going over but you must come back through an official US border crossing after 9/11.   I have heard that Boquillas crossing across from the Rio Grande Village campground now has an automated border crossing station type ATM where you video conference with an agent from el paso.  I have never used it so cant say how well it works.

Personally I wouldn't go over to Mexico anymore, just not worth the trouble or risk.

Link Posted: 3/26/2015 5:40:55 PM EDT
[#8]
I have been to Mexico multiple times. Parked in Del Rio and took a cab across to Acuna, Most recent time was 2005 or so. I felt safe  back then not so sure anymore. In 2008 I spent 6 weeks working by Tampico. Flew there for that. Again no worries at the time but I would not go now. Things have changed.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 5:54:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Nuevo Progreso is one of the "safer" places.  Very easy to park and walk across.  All of the shops are right after you cross over or nearby.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 5:58:44 PM EDT
[#10]
There is a lot of shopping and bars just over the bridge at Laredo. They have a town square also and you might go when they are having one of their fandangos.  Don't take the 35 bridge.  Take the one on Convent street.  Nuevo Laredo is not a safe place, but it is probably about as good for a short visit as you will find.  If you take a cab to Boys Town, go with someone.  

Link Posted: 3/26/2015 6:07:46 PM EDT
[#11]
There is a fairly new border crossing in Big Bend National Park. I haven't been across yet but before it opened there was a big deal being made about how it was going to be a heavily policed "safe zone". No idea if they made good on that.

http://www.nps.gov/bibe/planyourvisit/border_travel.htm

https://discoverboquillas.wordpress.com/boquillas-border-crossing-faqs/

Either way, everybody needs to visit Big Bend at least once in their life...just don't go in the Summer
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 6:12:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Yes OP there is a town called Progresso. I've walked in and out a Mexico a few times no problems.

http://www.shop-progreso.com/

Nuevo Progreso has become the crossing point of choice for tourists and locals who come back again and again. It is the best...and safest place to cross in South Texas.

There's a new bridge with wide, covered pedestrian walkways both going and coming.  Even better, when you get across that bridge you're right in the heart of the busiest, happiest, and most fun shopping place anywhere on the entire border.

Despite the recent drug-related violence in much of North Mexico, there has been no US citizen involvement in Nuevo Progreso! One incident occured in December of 2009 between Mexican military and some drug-gangsters. No US citizen was involved and no one has been criminally endangered in any way over the past nine years that this website has been online!

Nuevo Progreso is the safest place to cross on the US-Mexico border. June 1, 2013

Link Posted: 3/26/2015 6:13:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There is a fairly new border crossing in Big Bend National Park. I haven't been across yet but before it opened there was a big deal being made about how it was going to be a heavily policed "safe zone". No idea if they made good on that.

http://www.nps.gov/bibe/planyourvisit/border_travel.htm

https://discoverboquillas.wordpress.com/boquillas-border-crossing-faqs/

Either way, everybody needs to visit Big Bend at least once in their life...just don't go in the Summer
View Quote

so much this.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 6:16:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Car theft is an issue.
View Quote

Yeah that's not really a problem...

Just pick up a ticket from the vigilante and he'll watch your car until you return.

Link Posted: 3/26/2015 7:28:46 PM EDT
[#15]
What is in Mexico that you just gotta see in person?

Eagle Pass may be one of the less likely places to die in Mexico.  

Your car is likely not much of a commodity. They like to Steal SUV's right now.  Your honda is likely to get stolen more in-state than on the border IMO.

Just remember, you will immediately be a target as soon as you start talking to the federalies on the Mexico side.

Link Posted: 3/26/2015 8:15:51 PM EDT
[#16]
I have not been to Mexico . Just on the list of things I want to do . I don't want to get killed doing it or lose my car .
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 8:27:25 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

What is in Mexico that you just gotta see in person?

View Quote
Donkey shows.

Link Posted: 3/26/2015 8:33:31 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I have not been to Mexico . Just on the list of things I want to do . I don't want to get killed doing it or lose my car .
View Quote
I've been to Mexico. Not tourist Mexico, but real Mexico. Went down there to do some work for GM. Flew into Monterey and took an hour cab ride to where the GM plant was. I will NEVER go back. If you ever hear that I am in Mexico, then please call the State Department and the Marine Corps because I have been kidnapped and need to be rescued.

Link Posted: 3/26/2015 8:40:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I've been to Mexico. Not tourist Mexico, but real Mexico. Went down there to do some work for GM. Flew into Monterey and took an hour cab ride to where the GM plant was. I will NEVER go back. If you ever hear that I am in Mexico, then please call the State Department and the Marine Corps because I have been kidnapped and need to be rescued.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tourist Mexico isn't that bad.  Real Mexico is a freaking nightmare.  As long as you stick to the tourist areas you are generally OK.  Generally, stay with your group of friends.  I did have a friend picked up by the Mexican Police in TJ once in College.  They made him clean out his checking account at an ATM ($60) and since that wasn't enough they took his shoes and shirt and let him go.  We spent 2hr looking for him and we found him around 3am.  He told us what happened and we high tailed it out.  A few of us were minors who were legally drinking in Mexico, but when we got back over the boarder we were then both PI and MI, so we didn't report it to Boarder Patrol as we didn't know how that all worked and didn't want to have a worse night.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 9:15:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Why not just buy a cheap ticket and fly to somewhere relatively safe in Mexico?
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 9:51:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah, no, dont try
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 12:01:17 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I have been to Mexico multiple times. Parked in Del Rio and took a cab across to Acuna, Most recent time was 2005 or so. I felt safe  back then not so sure anymore. In 2008 I spent 6 weeks working by Tampico. Flew there for that. Again no worries at the time but I would not go now. Things have changed.
View Quote

Similar here...  in the early 2000s I had regular business which took me into Acuna...  At that time it was relatively safe as long as you stayed only to the tourist areas, the downtown right near the border.  But I have not been there since 2005 and I would not go back again.  Sadly, from what I've heard the cartel (Zetas) now control that whole area.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 1:06:48 AM EDT
[#23]

The days of tourist day trips from the Texas side into Mexico, are long over.....

Had a conference in McAllen not to long ago and the distinct sound of
automatic weapons fire could be heard throughout the night from Mexico.

Advice - Avoid any border towns in Mexico...wayyy beyond any expectation of safety.

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 1:21:59 AM EDT
[#24]
Every day, in your average mid-sized border town, thousands of Americans cross the border for shopping, business, sight-seeing, etc.

The overwhelming majority of them have uneventful trips.

As long as you use a little common sense, it's no big deal.

If you want to venture beyond the border towns (which are trashy and not particularly representative of Mexico in general), you might consider hopping a tour bus to Monterrey or Guadalajara.

Some of these tours leave from major non-border cities (i.e., San Antonio or Houston), which avoids the need to drive to a border city yourself.

I've used OK Tours on half a dozen of these trips out of San Antonio, and have always had a great time.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 2:26:17 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Similar here...  in the early 2000s I had regular business which took me into Acuna...  At that time it was relatively safe as long as you stayed only to the tourist areas, the downtown right near the border.  But I have not been there since 2005 and I would not go back again.  Sadly, from what I've heard the cartel (Zetas) now control that whole area.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I spent a lot of time in the early and late 90s there.  Crosby's used to have great food and the bars were okay.  Don't go too deep in and you were fine.  I do miss those trips but I know it's a lot different there now.  

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 8:22:15 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

View Quote

In Progresso, the last place I visited in Mexico, has a big parking lot right next to the bridge that you pay 5 bucks or so to park. Walk over (take some change-forgot how much, along with some ones), go to the pharmacia and buy some Ritalin, head on down to the Canada store, drink 5-6 little margaritas, enchiladas and tamales, then go ride the mechanical bull.  Vomit on the federales as you cross the bridge back over (don't worry, the H&K 91's aren't loaded, and they think it's funny to be puked on), get in your car (now you're sober enough to drive) and go back to Georgia. Easy-peasy.

God, I miss Mexico.

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 8:53:42 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
In Progresso, the last place I visited in Mexico, has a big parking lot right next to the bridge that you pay 5 bucks or so to park. Walk over (take some change-forgot how much, along with some ones), go to the pharmacia and buy some Ritalin, head on down to the Canada store, drink 5-6 little margaritas, enchiladas and tamales, then go ride the mechanical bull.  Vomit on the federales as you cross the bridge back over (don't worry, the H&K 91's aren't loaded, and they think it's funny to be puked on), get in your car (now you're sober enough to drive) and go back to Georgia. Easy-peasy.

God, I miss Mexico.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

God, I miss Mexico.

This.

The last few times I have parked and walked across was in Progresso - no issues.    As others have said - be safe & be smart.   Don't forget to pick up a bottle or 5 of discounted booze, there is a big store about 2 blocks in on your left.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 9:10:02 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Yes OP there is a town called Progresso. I've walked in and out a Mexico a few times no problems.

http://www.shop-progreso.com/

Nuevo Progreso has become the crossing point of choice for tourists and locals who come back again and again. It is the best...and safest place to cross in South Texas.

There's a new bridge with wide, covered pedestrian walkways both going and coming.  Even better, when you get across that bridge you're right in the heart of the busiest, happiest, and most fun shopping place anywhere on the entire border.

Despite the recent drug-related violence in much of North Mexico, there has been no US citizen involvement in Nuevo Progreso! One incident occured in December of 2009 between Mexican military and some drug-gangsters. No US citizen was involved and no one has been criminally endangered in any way over the past nine years that this website has been online!

Nuevo Progreso is the safest place to cross on the US-Mexico border. June 1, 2013

View Quote

http://www.borderlandbeat.com/2014/07/shootouts-erupt-in-nuevo-progresso.html

July 22, 2014
Violence erupted tonight the result of clashes between cells of organized crime in the town of Nuevo Progreso, resulting in a flurry of shootouts and blockades generated in several block of this border town.  The gunfights lasted more than three hours, beginning with fighting between organized crime groups and ending with a shootout against federal forces.  At least 10 dead in Nuevo Progresso alone.

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 9:45:59 AM EDT
[#29]

I would go.  Just be aware of yourself and surroundings.

I have rolled around on the Moscow metro by myself though, back when I was assured I would have my kidneys carved out as an American alone, so YMMV.

Other than bars, pharmacies, and chintzy shopping, though, I don't remember there being a whole lot of appealing stuff in the immediate border areas.

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 9:51:35 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I spent a lot of time in the early and late 90s there.  Crosby's used to have great food and the bars were okay.  Don't go too deep in and you were fine.  I do miss those trips but I know it's a lot different there now.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, I used to eat at Crosby's too...  that was about as far into town as I felt safe going.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 11:25:27 AM EDT
[#31]
Once in the 80s on spring break we parked Brownsville and walked into Matamoros for a couple of hours to pick up some booze and whatever. We came back and the car was gone, stolen. Shit happens on the border.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 12:19:12 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I have rolled around on the Moscow metro by myself though, back when I was assured I would have my kidneys carved out as an American alone, so YMMV.

View Quote

No close to being the same amount of danger as in Mexico.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 12:55:13 PM EDT
[#33]
Walked across at Brownsville to Matamoros. Parked near the UT-Brownsville campus. No problems, but that was in 06 just before the Mexican government went from tolerating the cartels as long as they kept their business behind the scenes to doing a 180 and declaring war on them. That decision has worked out wonderfully
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 1:46:34 PM EDT
[#34]
Always paid parking and taxis waiting for the American not wanting to take his car across.     Plan on being out of Mexico before dark and stay in the main tourist areas with lots of people.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 4:31:59 PM EDT
[#35]
We used to cross at the Reynosa/Hidalgo border crossing.......felt fairly safe.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 6:03:25 PM EDT
[#36]
you people need to get out of northern Mexico. Southern is better, Oaxaca is gorgeous.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 11:33:31 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

The days of tourist day trips from the Texas side into Mexico, are long over.....

Had a conference in McAllen not to long ago and the distinct sound of
automatic weapons fire could be heard throughout the night from Mexico.

Advice - Avoid any border towns in Mexico...wayyy beyond any expectation of safety.

View Quote

This.  And from my personal experiences living along the border.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 3:26:48 AM EDT
[#38]
As others have said, Progreso is one of the safer places to go.  There are plenty of older tourists visiting there on a daily basis.  The shops, bars, and restaurants are all within walking distance.  A lot of the shops have English speaking employees and they accept US currency.  That being said, it's been years since I went across there after just deciding that there isn't anything there worth going over for.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 7:57:36 AM EDT
[#39]
Meh,nothing in that shithole of a country interests me. I can buy my own booze and drink on my couch cheaper and safer then going to a bar, much less a bar in a 3rd world country.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 10:58:56 AM EDT
[#40]
We took a cab into Ciudad Acuña from Del Rio sometime around '95.  We had lunch at a restaurant in the tourist area, and the kids bought souvenirs in the shops.

We stopped by El Mercado in San Antonio on our way back to Houston and saw the exact same souvenirs for sale cheaper than they were in Mexico.  
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 2:17:14 PM EDT
[#41]
Thanks for all of the information guys . I will post when I get closer to being down
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 5:16:22 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Is there a spot along the border where I could park my car walk into Mexico and visit for a little bit and walk back without having all of the bad stuff you always hear about happen ? I have never been to Mexico and yes I know the stories .
View Quote
No. Not safely. If you are Hispanic, and speak Spanish...... well then you would already know better. Fly into a resort area and you will be fine.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 10:00:53 PM EDT
[#43]
You could come to the town I live in and go to the Park or the Mall. Pretty much the same thing as being in mexico.  
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 11:37:50 AM EDT
[#44]

Got held at gunpoint and robbed by the police in Reynosa.  Fuck that third world shit hole country.  

Don't go.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 9:13:16 PM EDT
[#45]
Thanks again for the opinions .
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 5:57:36 AM EDT
[#46]
I used to park by the Santa Fe St Bridge in El Paso and walk over into Juarez several nights a week back in the 1990's. There are parking lots with attendants there and the only time I ever had an issue with my vehicle it was parked on the street (drunk kid vandalism, cops caught him). Mind you the masses of young under 21 kids going to nightclubs on the other side of the border is a thing of the past, not only because of the violence that peaked a few years ago, but also due to increased security on the US side (passports etc). There are still a couple of things to do in downtown Juarez that may be worth a tourists time. The easiest would be to go have a margarita at The Kentucky Club where the popular drink was born. Right next door is Nuevo Martino, a fine dining restaurant that my grandfather used to talk about from his trips to Juarez back in the 1950's. Here is a link to a article about walking to Juarez http://elchuqueno.com/juarez-walking-tour/
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 7:16:20 AM EDT
[#47]
My folks and I spent a lot of time going to Mexico as far south as Monterey and we went to every border town from Brownsville to El Paso. Acuna,  Jaurez, larado progresso, Reynosa, Presidio  and a bunch of others.

It was safe, my brother and I went one way are   our parents another, at age 14.  My parents had their honeymoon there in 56  I would not go across now for anything.  I  get real close to my guns when I go near the border.

On the other hand, my friends that hunt down there went back this year after about 2 years off.  paying for a lease down there and not going sucks.

No 22'ammo in your pocket no guns.  I would be afraid to drive down there because every truck I have could have some loose 22 ammo in a crack or under the seat.  

It is not worth it to me.  I need to be here for my family.
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 5:17:19 PM EDT
[#48]
we would walk into  Matamoros in 2008 no big deal.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top