Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/21/2015 7:30:38 PM EDT
been hearing commercials about new larger size water heaters that are mandated
after some date in April; is this only for certian areas, or statewide?

just the facts; don't need to hear about Agenda 21 in hippyville,,,,I work there, just not in
plgb. inspection,,,,thanks
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 7:51:01 PM EDT
[#1]
From what little I've researched it, it's a federal energy efficient thing.

The commercials you are talking about are somewhat misleading.  The new water heaters have more insulation, that makes them bulkier. It also only applies to heaters over 55 gallon.   The rest is  just a line of BS the dealer came up with.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 8:46:34 PM EDT
[#2]
I haven't heard anything?!?!?
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 8:50:12 PM EDT
[#3]
There is something that's changed, I buy 199K BTU water heaters every couple years for an apt complex.  This year I can't find any that have the usual venting, they all have this forced ducted thing going on with a fan that's ridiculously expensive to replace.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 9:05:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeah....based on some new federal regulation.

Some more info
http://www1.eere.energy.gov/buildings/appliance_standards/product.aspx/productid/27

Link Posted: 3/21/2015 9:15:42 PM EDT
[#5]
All for your saftey
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 9:17:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
All for your saftey
View Quote

No, it's  energy efficient.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 10:08:53 PM EDT
[#7]
I'd rather pay for the extra energy.  The cost in repairs between the new vs old style will cost me far more than what the saved energy would have saved me.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 10:54:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I'd rather pay for the extra energy.  The cost in repairs between the new vs old style will cost me far more than what the saved energy would have saved me.
View Quote

Thats not for you to decide anymore. All the hippies who suck the epa, insurance lobbiest and politicians  dick dont care what you want. Nor do the mindless drones that read a pamphlet and cant see the bigger picture. Mostly in Austin. But hey, land of the free right......only if you pay for it.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 1:34:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

You might be able to.  I cannot find anything that says the old kind  is going to be banned, it's just that any commercial installation must be of the new type. It may be that if you do the work yourself  you can still go with the old type.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 1:35:07 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

You might be able to.  I cannot find anything that says the old kind  is going to be banned, it's just that any commercial installation must be of the new type. It may be that if you do the work yourself  you can still go with the old type.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 7:33:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Thats not for you to decide anymore. All the hippies who suck the epa, insurance lobbiest and politicians  dick dont care what you want. Nor do the mindless drones that read a pamphlet and cant see the bigger picture. Mostly in Austin. But hey, land of the free right......only if you pay for it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Feds set the new standards through the EPA. I just put in a new 40 gal gas heater (I would never own any electric hot water heater) I looked at everything but a tankless (I did not want to do all the upgrades for a good tankless) and just a good quality heater was as energy efficient as one of the 'energy star'  heaters. Here in Central Texas with our water full of minerals you can save on your energy bills by just flushing your hot water heater every 6 months to a year.

The new hot water heaters with the 'extra insulation' that the EPA requires is not going save you any money especially if the heater is in a heater closet with wall insulation.

This is just another regulation the idiots at the EPA through out there without fully thinking it out as usual.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 9:36:50 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

The Feds set the new standards through the EPA. I just put in a new 40 gal gas heater (I would never own any electric hot water heater) I looked at everything but a tankless (I did not want to do all the upgrades for a good tankless) and just a good quality heater was as energy efficient as one of the 'energy star'  heaters. Here in Central Texas with our water full of minerals you can save on your energy bills by just flushing your hot water heater every 6 months to a year.

The new hot water heaters with the 'extra insulation' that the EPA requires is not going save you any money especially if the heater is in a heater closet with wall insulation.

This is just another regulation the idiots at the EPA through out there without fully thinking it out as usual.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not to mention that if the epa goons were really worried about our carbon footprint maybe they should start with all wastefull use of energy done by our own government. How much energy does it take to make armored hummviees and ship them over to iraq just to torch a hole in the rear end to have the locals sell for scrap? I guarantee you the amount of juice used for the Hillary's personal server and the emails she printed out wasted more energy than my dam hot water heater.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 10:57:56 AM EDT
[#13]
I'm with you all on this being another liberal idea run amok.

Here is the DOE page on it:
www1.eere.energy.gov/buildings/appliance_standards/product.aspx/productid/27

Executive summary:
All water heaters sold after April 1 or 15 (not sure which) must meet new efficiency requirements.

The salesman at a Lowes in DFW told me the new water heaters will be larger and 40% costlier starting in April, 2015.

The main complaint I heard (aside from cost) is that they are larger than the closets used in most homes and as a result will probably require some construction work.

A smart person would go get one now while she can and save it for when needed.

Link Posted: 3/22/2015 1:49:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Not to mention that if the epa goons were really worried about our carbon footprint maybe they should start with all wastefull use of energy done by our own government. How much energy does it take to make armored hummviees and ship them over to iraq just to torch a hole in the rear end to have the locals sell for scrap? I guarantee you the amount of juice used for the Hillary's personal server and the emails she printed out wasted more energy than my dam hot water heater.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lots of wasted power...
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 3:00:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I'm with you all on this being another liberal idea run amok.

Here is the DOE page on it:
www1.eere.energy.gov/buildings/appliance_standards/product.aspx/productid/27

Executive summary:
All water heaters sold after April 1 or 15 (not sure which) must meet new efficiency requirements.

The salesman at a Lowes in DFW told me the new water heaters will be larger and 40% costlier starting in April, 2015.

The main complaint I heard (aside from cost) is that they are larger than the closets used in most homes and as a result will probably require some construction work.

A smart person would go get one now while she can and save it for when needed.

View Quote

Yep.  Already had a thread on it in GD along with the Neckbearding of Water Heaters..........coming soon to a gun show near you.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 4:00:11 PM EDT
[#16]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.policestateusa.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/ap132411996867.jpg

Lots of wasted power...

Is that the 300 million dollar power plant in Kabul?
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 10:22:19 PM EDT
[#17]
What gets me is even if this truly does reduce our carbon footprint what about the rest of the world that doesn't give a shit?  Check out Beijing or anywhere in China or India lately?  I read an article that Beijing's air is equivalent to smoking a pack a day (something along those lines).  My water heater is new as of 13.  Shouldn't need one for awhile and by then I will go tankless
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 1:23:17 AM EDT
[#18]
From what I can tell, it's a borderline nonsensical regulation.  Basically they are requiring a much thicker insulation on the tank, in theory to help cut down on energy wasting heat loss.  Thing is, the current insulation is really really good already, and the benefit from this is pretty negligible.  Just put your hand on the outside of a modern hot water heater tank.  Is it warm?  No, it's not, because the insulation is good.  If it's not warm, then additional insulation isn't going to do anything.  Looking at my gas bill, the energy loss that I experience from the hot water heater is non-existent.

What it is going to do is make stuff a lot more expensive, and not compatible when replacing old units, which will cause a lot of additional work (i.e. energy consumption and waste generation) for some people - usually those who can least afford it.  But then, that's how this stuff usually works.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 11:13:18 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
All for your saftey

Austin is the new Kalifornia. I used a Zero-Water urinal in Austin last week...wtf?
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 2:26:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Austin is the new Kalifornia. I used a Zero-Water urinal in Austin last week...wtf?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
All for your saftey

.... Did you splash your feet while wearing sandals or something?  Can't say the flushability of a urinal has ever bothered me.

Link Posted: 3/23/2015 5:41:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
All for your saftey

I used one of those before. Pee runs out the sides but dam it gets your dick dry.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 6:44:49 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

NSA datacenter in Utah.

Takes a lot of power to read everyones email.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 10:45:11 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I used one of those before. Pee runs out the sides but dam it gets your dick dry.
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y9/ARsR4ME/Screenshot_2015-03-23-15-46-47-1_zpsxirddmmf.png
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
All for your saftey

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y9/ARsR4ME/Screenshot_2015-03-23-15-46-47-1_zpsxirddmmf.png

rofl
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top