Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 6:21:02 PM EDT
[#1]

Just to piggyback on Bradley's build thread, does anyone attending have the 14x1 LH threading tools?  I've got an older WASR-10 that had the threads ground off in the bad old days and I was wanting to add a slant brake.  OD on the barrel is just enough to add new threads and I've got a Tapco brake in a box somewhere.

If that's a no-go, I guess I'll man up and order the dang tools.

Thanks,

Link Posted: 4/3/2015 6:46:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Nobody has gotten in touch with me yet about grabbing the rivet squeezing tool.
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 8:13:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nobody has gotten in touch with me yet about grabbing the rivet squeezing tool.
View Quote

The modded bolt cutters?   That one's pretty easy to make.
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 8:27:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeah, those are the ones.  It sounds like there may be enough tools there to do everything, but I just wanted to offer them up again if necessary.  If I get lucky I'll get let off work at the last minute and can cruise up after all.
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 11:59:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Yeah, those are the ones.  It sounds like there may be enough tools there to do everything, but I just wanted to offer them up again if necessary.  If I get lucky I'll get let off work at the last minute and can cruise up after all.
View Quote

I may be able to grab them on the way.  Where are you at?

Link Posted: 4/8/2015 6:25:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Thread has gone strangely quiet..    are we still on?

Link Posted: 4/8/2015 4:19:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Thread has gone strangely quiet..    are we still on?

View Quote

Yes, we are still on. I've been busy cleaning out my garage. Ok, so no... I haven't. But I will.
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 4:31:45 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm covering on-call for one of my peers for part of the day, but I still plan to stop by and say howdy and at least meet (or meat ) some local ARFCOMers..
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 4:55:14 PM EDT
[#9]
I will be there. I will have to bug out about 3.
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 1:38:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Still in as well.
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 6:13:29 PM EDT
[#11]
We're all set for tomorrow. Everyone should have my address and phone number. If you don't, email or IM me today. Feel free to call or text at any time.

I'm looking forward to seeing everyone there.
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 7:31:56 PM EDT
[#12]

MrsCheShirt made cookies.  I hope you people like cookies.
Link Posted: 4/11/2015 12:36:17 AM EDT
[#13]
No one mentioned a start time..      morning?  noon?  

Link Posted: 4/11/2015 2:38:53 AM EDT
[#14]
9-10 a.m. start, per the host. Bring fruit and beer to appease the fruit monster/Cthulhu.
Link Posted: 4/11/2015 6:18:35 AM EDT
[#15]
Y'all don't forget the first aid kits and fire extinguishers.
Link Posted: 4/11/2015 7:07:34 AM EDT
[#16]
I couldn't make it back to DFW in time to get the park tanks over there. But, I'll offer it up later in the month when I am back.

Link Posted: 4/11/2015 9:30:20 PM EDT
[#17]
I had an awesome time today and learned a LOT about building AKs!

Thanks to everyone who stepped up and made this happen, and especially our host, bradleyc, who was kind enough to let us clutter up his garage with receiver pieces and metal shavings as we got our kits a little closer to completion! And CHILI!

Thank you, CDfourtyfour, for the 80% receiver! I can't wait to get this sucker built up into a rifle.

Hope we can make this a monthly thing!

Link Posted: 4/11/2015 10:08:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Thank you Brad for hosting, it was good to meet everyone. Let's do it again soon.
Link Posted: 4/11/2015 10:35:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Thats it no photos of awesomeness?
Link Posted: 4/11/2015 10:59:55 PM EDT
[#20]

Definitely ordering parts before the next one.
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 2:05:00 AM EDT
[#21]
Yep, good time.  Thanks bradleyc for instigating this.  As we discussed, AK building is a process, not something you can do in your sleep (as you can with an AR).  The concepts of disassembly/assembly hold true to the AK platform, but every kit has its quirks and nuances.

I agree, monthly thing if someone is willing to host, since several people that would like to attend will invariably be tied up on whatever date it is scheduled.  Besides the remainders of todays build, I've got another kit to work on sometime down the road.

P.S. I stopped at Lowe's on the way home and bought four 5/32" bits, and promptly snapped one as soon as I got home, as I was finishing my front trunnion holes.  Successfully finished the rest of the holes thoug, and I'll supply the 5/32" bits at the next event.
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 8:25:25 PM EDT
[#22]
A big thanks to Bradley for hosting the get together.  I was able to make a lot of progress and learned a tremendous amount, and it was nice to meet all of you.  A special thanks to MrsChe for the cookies!

Link Posted: 4/12/2015 10:34:33 PM EDT
[#23]
No pics?
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 2:42:09 AM EDT
[#24]
Motown, do you really want pictures of my sweaty butt leaving the build party?
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 3:34:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Motown, do you really want pictures of my sweaty butt leaving the build party?
View Quote

Man, you just squandered a great opportunity here, although I think we're all glad you didn't take him up on it.

I don't have the space to host another party this coming month, but I should be able to make it with park tanks and a Gunkoting oven.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 4:52:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I had an awesome time today and learned a LOT about building AKs!

Thanks to everyone who stepped up and made this happen, and especially our host, bradleyc, who was kind enough to let us clutter up his garage with receiver pieces and metal shavings as we got our kits a little closer to completion! And CHILI!

Thank you, CDfourtyfour, for the 80% receiver! I can't wait to get this sucker built up into a rifle.

Hope we can make this a monthly thing!

View Quote

Thanks for coming. Y'all coming gave me the fire to finally clean up my garage after moving in last July. 24 hours prior it looked like an earthquake fucked a hurricane in there.

I'm continuing to accrue tools. Anyone is welcome at my place anytime.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 4:53:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Thank you Brad for hosting, it was good to meet everyone. Let's do it again soon.
View Quote

Thanks for letting me borrow your tools. I might hide the spot welder and just tell you that the Asians stole it for God knows what purpose.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 4:54:15 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

Your wife is really cool btw. My ex-wife would never come to say hi, be interested in my hobbies, or make cookies.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 4:55:30 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Yep, good time.  Thanks bradleyc for instigating this.  As we discussed, AK building is a process, not something you can do in your sleep (as you can with an AR).  The concepts of disassembly/assembly hold true to the AK platform, but every kit has its quirks and nuances.

I agree, monthly thing if someone is willing to host, since several people that would like to attend will invariably be tied up on whatever date it is scheduled.  Besides the remainders of todays build, I've got another kit to work on sometime down the road.

P.S. I stopped at Lowe's on the way home and bought four 5/32" bits, and promptly snapped one as soon as I got home, as I was finishing my front trunnion holes.  Successfully finished the rest of the holes thoug, and I'll supply the 5/32" bits at the next event.
View Quote

Here's where I got that one I had. It's dull now, but it was great while it lasted.

http://ak-builder.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=30029
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 4:56:51 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
No pics?
View Quote

My place doubles as an underground BDSM dungeon. So no photography was allowed. Also, no clothes.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 6:24:14 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

My place doubles as an underground BDSM dungeon. So no photography was allowed. Also, no clothes.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No pics?

My ass still hurts.

That car antenna was going a little too far, bro.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 6:28:49 PM EDT
[#32]
Damn I really did leave too early.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 11:42:59 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Your wife is really cool btw. My ex-wife would never come to say hi, be interested in my hobbies, or make cookies.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Found out my last job finally paid out my vested options, so I took some of the cash and bought rivets, 922r parts, etc for the four kits I have in the closet.  Just need a couple barrels and receivers.  

Wife is down for more cookie baking and she sort of wants to build an AK.  She built her first lower recently and wants to do at least one more AR before she gets into any work with tools.

Thanks again for inviting us.

edit - Got an AKM and AKMS that we should probably built up.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top