Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 10:28:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 10:43:18 PM EDT
[#2]
AAR/Thoughts

The road
Getting there was easy since this was my second time there. Went through the gates around 10pm Friday night.

Camping and weather
I heard it was forecasted to rain, there was some light showers while driving up but none on Friday. My accommodations were a single cab dodge and a woobie. Extras was a softshell and towel as a pillow. Weather was nice and barely chilly, one window cranked was the cake. Slept like a pig.

In-pro and briefings
In-processing was really fast, I was the first one. Unfortunately there was a nice line soon after that but it got handled well and it cleared up.  The brief was short and sweet, a prayer was said.  A time card was used this time. It made processing at the stages much easier.

Gear
The rifle got rebuilt, it got more fancy stuff but the lower and scope remained the same. It ran fine with wolf 55gr 223 ammo with only several user induced errors. I did not seat my mags and thus they kept falling out during a stage. Glad I did not have bipod or fore grip, it enabled me to stick the rifle in between barricades and tight spaces. Also, it meant less points to get hung up on. I found myself anchoring the rifle against something to shoot while standing and kneeling whenever possible. However, I was also anchoring the rifle way too high, causing me to tip toe to see through my scope. It is more of a training issue but I see it being corrected easily. There was 4 full 30 rounders’ and a 20rounder as my 3 round mag.

Pistol was an SW M&P, it shot good with only one ?failure. During a stage, the slide did not close. It brought up a new round but failed to close completely. (Dumb ass moment) I lightly tapped the slide forward but it remained open. I racked the slide again and the round did not eject, instead it turned it into a double feed of sorts. I was slightly panicking while I tried to drop the mag. I hit the mag release but the mag did not move. To add to my troubles, I could not grip the base pads due to some nerve damage in my left arm/hand. Thankfully, It was a fresh mag as I had done a tac reload and sorta had the other mag in my hands. (In hindsight, malfunction was probably due to limp wristing.) I used the other mag’s feed lips as a pry bar and kicked the stuck mag out. The double feed cleared and I slapped the unstuck mag in, racked the slide and continued the stage. I took 100 rounds and 5 mags this time, I really hated the fact that I needed more ammo.

I took the same tactical tailor split mav as October but I made a few changes.  I was going to run with a rifle taco and a dual pistol mag pouch on a belt along with a safariland mid-ride holster but I left the pouches out. They were blocked by my gp/dump pouch.
I replace the shingles from last year with the taco combo, this made for easier drawing, I may have torn/broke the glue on the inside of one of the pistol tacos by jamming a mag in there while the feed lips was holding the pouch material. Nothing a dab of super glue won’t fix.

The Gp/dump pouch was awesome. It ran a little high and awkward for mag retention during the stages but apart from that. I may get something similar and smaller but for now I might move it and call it good.
On my right side was 2 tactical tailor mag pouches. They can hold more but mostly held one 30round mag each and a time card. For my first stage I stuck a 20round mag in there. The 30 and 20 round together made it a pain to get to the 20rounder. Probably a different pouch or setup.

The hydration pouch was from condor, light weaved onto the mav. The bottom moved aroud a tad and slightly interfered with the rifle slung on the bag. I crammed a cleaning rod and trail mix into the pouch. Unfortunately, I found the bladder leaking through a small hole upon emptying it after the course. For furture use, I should add pouches to it.
But that brings it to stuff heard, someone was having an issue with their backpack. The backpack also was too bulking for several obstacles, I believe the sweet spot is a dedicated hydration pack with pockets. That should probably ideal.

Untitled by Crazy people Concepts, on Flickr

The course

It deferred slightly from October and I had to recheck my bearings multiple times because I was auto-piloting the trails. I had second thoughts about the zip line because of my arm. I did a: “F it” and tried it anyways. Glad I did not take a dip.

Stage 2, 3 and 4 was made easier with a fiber optic sight. I had a truglo tfo this time. The front grow a nice green even in the trees. Stage 6 was pretty good too except for not completing it. I am embarrassed to say that I did not have enough 9mm ammo.

It was nice to complete stage 5 this time. It consisted of 5 sections: barricade, tractor, pallets, carpet prone and box of doom/ “BOOM”
The barricade and tractor was fairly easy. Stick rifle in hole, hit target move and repeat. The pallet box was similar, till my feet got stuck in the pallet base and I fell backwards. I managed to lay my rifle down, stop myself with my hands. Prone on the carpet was fairly easy and so was prone in box.

Except that the box of doom was a giant steel echo chamber. I’m glad there was no comp on the rifle this time. This was where I had my mag seating issues but it got solved pretty quickly.

The only other stage with any really issue was the speed wall, stage 8. I managed to flunk on the first section on the mail fence again. Hopefully, I’ll get better.

Final thoughts

I’m considering the move to a belt setup with suspenders for extra support for the next go about. Maybe a slightly smaller dump pouch and chest rig. A hydration pack would top it off. Making the whole thing, more err…. Lower profiled. Meaning less snagging points while moving around and more obtrusive to.

Don’t walk and reload mags, especially with gloves on. I should just have taken the break and consulted ammo without losing precious rounds.
And finally, don’t fall off the zip line. Especially with all your gear on.

Thanks to Txpopgun for the pics!

DSC_0456 by Crazy people Concepts, on Flickr
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 10:56:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Nice write up tinythief.

FWIW, the first step in clearing a double feed is to lock the slide to rear. This relieves some of the tension on the magazine feed lips allowing the mag to be more easily stripped from the gun. Either way the mag will need to be physically stripped since the nose of the top bullet is hung up on the feed ramp while the rear is still being gripped by the magazine feed lips. Locking the slide back first just makes the magazine easier to strip.

I agree that a belt rig and hydration pack is definitely the way to go.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 11:00:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nice write up tinythief.

FWIW, the first step in clearing a double feed is to lock the slide to rear. This relieves some of the tension on the magazine feed lips allowing the mag to be more easily stripped from the gun. Either way the mag will need to be physically stripped since the nose of the top bullet is hung up on the feed ramp while the rear is still being gripped by the magazine feed lips. Locking the slide back first just makes the magazine easier to strip.
View Quote

You mean it's not tap, rack, panic, panic, PANIC then just fk it?

I really need to work on my pistol and rifle malfunction clearing. That and improving my gear selection.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 12:03:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the detailed writeup tinythief. Sounds like lots of fun and a great way to find out the weaknesses in your gear. I might have to try this out the next time they have it.

You didn't bring your dslr? I guess lugging around a big camera would not work in this situation . Maybe a head or gun mounted GoPro?
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 12:10:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Thanks for the detailed writeup tinythief. Sounds like lots of fun and a great way to find out the weaknesses in your gear. I might have to try this out the next time they have it.

You didn't bring your dslr? I guess lugging around a big camera would not work in this situation . Maybe a head or gun mounted GoPro?
View Quote

Did not want to bring it around, I'll be too interested in shooting the dslr than shooting my guns. I was going to bring my contours but I forgot to dig em out. its just one of those things. o try to bring all my rifle gear and forget something else.

Strongly considering to volunteer as a camaera guy this October.  Don't know how that's going to happen, it's too far ahead to plan.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 9:13:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Zombie Biathlon – April 11th, 2015 – BattleRoadUSA.com

4/10 2230 – My son and I arrived in Temple around 10:30pm on the 10th and checked into the motel, unloaded, crashed to get some sleep.

4/11 0530 - We left the motel looking for someplace open for breakfast and to pick up some additional water.  We didn’t venture from the main-roads and didn’t find anything open until we got to Rogers where we did our shopping at the gas-station down-town.  Paid too much for gallon bottles of water, but glad I did as I don’t recall seeing any other place to obtain goods on the way to the ranch.  Being a big-city dweller where so much is open 24x7 I didn’t consider this ahead of time.  Overcast and misting rain in the morning.  Note to self, bring 5 gallon mwc.

0615 - Arrived at the ranch where it was cold, dark and quiet.  Gates were closed.  Having not been before I didn’t want to roll in uninvited so we hung by the gate with someone else until someone came along and told us to head on in and park near the campers.

0645 - Signed the waivers, checked in, found out our start time was at 1505…  TxPopGun found us during registration where we made introductions and chatted briefly.

We wandered a bit, ate breakfast, hung-out, safety briefing, hid in the back of the group photo, napped, ate lunch etc.  There were several groups and individuals running in the event.  TxPopGun found us later at the truck and we talked for a good while.   He was our ambassador to the event and a most gracious host at that.

1430 - We headed down to the starting line and we were offered the opportunity to leave a few minutes early since we were ready.   And we’re off…

Obstacle: Fat man vs. 10 foot wall…
I ran up to the wall, climbed up to the top, started to pull myself over and the pistol grip of my rifle and/or chest-rig  pulled me back as it was hung up on the hog-wire or top bar.  Nearly choked myself out with the rifle-sling until I managed to free myself up and get over and headed on to stage one.   My son flew over the wall of course.  He thought ahead and pushed the rifle over ahead of him… I should’ve just fully slung the rifle to my back.

Off to stage 1 through cow-pasture + woods.   We both did ok, not great on stage 1.  This was straight forward shooting with rifle to pistol to rifle transition.  One premature mag-release and one set of plates was skipped left to right, over looked and had to be returned to before finishing.

Off to stage 2 through more muddy creek crossings and wet woods.   By now I was wishing I had BDU’s… My Carhartts were collecting mud, water and were too baggy.   The kid got ahead of me here so I didn’t get to see how he did on Stage 2 but it was where I clearly discovered how poorly I shot with pistol after exerting myself.    The head shots on plates were a challenge for me.  The RO’s here were super nice, patient and helpful.  I missed a lot at the varying ranges.  More pistol practice needed.  Off to stage 3 through mostly wooded areas and along wooded fence lines next to pasture.

Obstacle: Zipline.  My son did this.  The fat man chose to walk as I was already wet enough.  And this is where my photo was taken by the staff photographer, during my walk of shame.  Lol.  It looked easy, if I had been fresh, but at that point I questioned whether I’d hold or not.   I know what I need to do….   Unfortunately I have no pics of the kid and his new go-pro wasn’t running so we missed this and several others stages for lack of experience with the camera.  I’m hoping more pics/vids will show up on the site or facebook pages.

Onward to stage 3 … The backside of the pond was muddy and wet, especially after the bulk of the runners had been through and torn it up.  This was a muddy trail with slippery long grass on either side along with low brush, tree-limbs etc.  Did I mention briars, brambles and mesquite trees?

Obstacle: I call this one football camp…
On the approach to stage 3 were several small hills that were to be traversed up/down, followed by several large logs/tree parts that had to be climbed over, small tires like you’d  run through in an agility drill and a low-crawl under wire.  This felt like football camp (30+ years ago) for me and was pretty straight forward…  I wasn’t speedy, but it was pretty easy.  Keep your muzzle out of the dirt and/or use shoot through muzzle protectors.

Stage 3 - This pistol stage was a bit of a booster for me, probably because it was a bit easier as I had success here against the larger targets and gong.   Obscured targets or forcing prone shooting or otherwise obstructed shooting would make this more challenging, for me… Off to stage 4 and…

Obstacle - Smokey’s bridge – This is a narrow bridge over a gulley full of maggots and rotten flesh.  I mean leaves and rocks.  My legs and balance were suffering by now so I didn’t run across… Walked and moved on.

Obstacle – Tractor tires – Several tractor tires formed into a tunnel.  Get to crawling.  Stay low, keep the rifle pointing forward and in front and move through.  The carpet inside made this a fairly easy obstacle.  Of course the obstacles weren’t meant to be difficult, just physical stress inducers.  Didn’t see any snakes on my trip through.  Fortunately they didn’t bite me.  

Stage 4 – Zombie head-shots – Ugh, I sucked again.  Head shots at steel plates at slightly varying distance through the trees/brush.   I had another poor round of pistol shooting.   TXPopGun’s crew here was a bunch of super nice folks.  Wish I’d been there when the kid passed through.  ;)   My RO for this, police officer, was extremely patient and helpful coaching me through the shoot.  He was a voice of calm and experience.  I was feeling the pain of being overweight and out of shape…  Being fat sucks.

Stage 5 – Rifle 100ish yards (guessing) – I was doing better than I expected here until I got to the prone 3-target combo where between a dirty optic, sweaty dirty glasses the position, and poor eye-sight I had a hard-time seeing the targets… I need much more practice prone shooting.  Got my hit… I also lost time when I skipped a position and had to come back… I timed out with 2 dings to go.  

Stage 6 – This was a pistol race and I was moving slow.  First target was an obscured head-shot that I tagged right off.  The first few standing shots I hit okay.  Prone shooting through the barrel and the longer range took more time/rounds… I had to go through the shoot-house side-ways… Wide-load, got to the last target and blew it.  I dumped nearly a full mag trying to hit that target right in front of me and I couldn’t believe I was missing.  Talk about frustrating.   I timed out.

Stage 7 – This was the blast the targets stage.  How fast can you dump rounds into zombie heads?  I was trying to make the headshots so that slowed me down.  Afterwards I heard some folks saying there were just dumping rounds into the target as fast as possible.  Maybe I misunderstood the stage, but I figure rounds on targets need to count.   I’m sure I missed several but never got called on it… Anyway, I did okay on this one despite my largeness and tiredness.   This was your opportunity to exploit those extra-light triggers, s3g’s etc.   The kiddo got this one on video, the second time he ran it after finishing and he was moving pretty quickly.  I believe he finished in just over a minute.

Obstacle – Tire stack ladder down into a trench – Trick here I guess was to keep your barrel clear.   Otherwise it was a matter of laddering down and climbing back out the trench.   Not difficult, but it wasn’t slicked with rain/mud at that point.  I would’ve had a more difficult time running it backwards. Down the ramp and up and out the tires.

Obstacle – Not sure what to call it, but it I believe it was a chicken wire covered a-frame on top of some large wire spools.    I heard one guy just flat ran over the thing, no hands…  I had to climb up on the spools then the over the frame.   Pretty simple I suppose.

Stage 8 – 250 yard target from multiple shooting positions.   I dinged the first one PDQ, but missed 3 in a row on the second position.   Everything added up for me here including lack of physical condition, sweaty, tired, dirty/sweaty glasses, dirty red-dot sight, lack of magnification, astigmatism/poor eyesight, and lack of shooting skill/practice.  I just couldn’t see the 250 yard target well enough to stay on them from the lower shooting position.   The kiddo also got this one on video and blew through this like an old pro.  Sure makes the old man proud.  

See the red man/zombie-sized target out there?   Me either...

My son ran with me as I trudged up the hill at the end… I tried to finish strong but I was smoked++…  I know it wasn’t pretty (sorry about that folks) but despite my appearance I had an absolute blast.   TxPopGun was also there at the finish line with a big smile, or maybe look of disbelief when I finally rolled up.  Here I met TinyThief and we all chatted a bit.  Everything’s a bit fuzzy after that.  I was whooped.

At some point I made it back to the truck and we had gear dumped in the bed.   As the sun set we met a few other super nice folks including Mrs. TxPopGun on their way out.  We packed up and the kid chauffeured us back to the motel where the hot showers and clean clothes awaited us.

I was a bit bummed there was no T-shirt for me at the end of the day.  I wanted to wear this as trophy back to work to show the youngin’s that the old round-man did indeed take the challenge and finished but I reckon that’s vain so as such not a real loss.  TxPopGun welcomed my son and me with a couple other gifts that we won’t forget.

My real trophies are the memories made with my son and new friends made that weekend, the lessons I learned and if I do my part its motivation to become less round (need to lose 100#) and better prepared so that I’ll do better the next time.

Son’s gear:
Rifle: BCM 16” mid-length upper, pencil bbl, BCM CH, on PSA lower built from parts.  Centurion rail.  Magpul STR/furniture.  BFG padded sling.  3x fixed power Primary Arm Scope.  

Pistol: Glock 19 in Safariland ALS retention holster on the belt.  Extra G19 mag in Kytex mag carrier on the belt.  

Chest-Rig: Tactical Tailor fight-light MAV 2-piece.  2x Grey Ghost mag shingles each with 2x 30rd AR mags and 2x Glock 17 mags.  4x4 mags up front.  BOK in Condor MA21 case.  TT dump pouch on belt.

Source 3L hydration bladder.  33rd mag in the carrier.

5x 30 round rifle mags, 1x 20rd mag loaded with 3 for stage 1, 2x 15rd, 4x17rd + 33rd pistol mag.

Howard Leight electronic ear muffs/sun-glasses.

My gear:
Rifle:  16” Stag M4 upper, BCM CH + Stag lower built from Stag/misc parts.  BFG padded sling.  Aimpoint PRO.  Magpul STR, Hogue Grip, MOE rail, MOE VFG.

Pistol: Glock 19 in Safariland ALS retention holster on the belt.   Extra G17 mag in Kytex mag carrier on the belt.

Chest-Rig: Grey Ghost (TT MAV more or less) 2-piece.  2x Grey Ghost mag shingles each with 2x 30rd AR mags and 2x Glock 17 mags.  4x4 mags up front.  GG slim FAK/BOK.  GP Pouch for extra mags + dump

Source 3L hydration bladder.

5x 30 round rifle mags, 1x 20rd mag loaded with 3 for stage 1, 6x17rd + 33rd pistol mag.

Earplugs/eyeglasses

Gear AAR:
We were happy with all of our gear except the one Condor MA21 FAK that splayed open mid-run.   We’ll reconsider this.  A slim or perhaps belt-mounted kit might work better for him.  I need a magnified optic for the longer range shoots, or better eyes.  
Both rifles and pistols/holsters ran as expected doing their job as long as the shooters did theirs.  I’d like a rugged, light, 1-4/5/6 scope or perhaps a TA33-GH.  Both rifles could lose some weight.  The STR stocks are heavy and I have a couple of LWRC stocks to replace them with, VFG didn’t get used and will be lost, Centurion rail is nice but there are lighter rails nowadays.   The PA 3x scope has been a great scope but I would ultimately prefer to have something more rugged/proven in its place.  It survived the day though.  I’d like to add ambi selectors to make safe/fire transitions easier.

The holsters worked but are a bit bulky.   I suspect something like a Raven Concealment OWB or something similar would work as well and be lower profile.  My main concern was positive retention of the guns so we didn’t drop/lose them in the course of negotiating the course.  

The TT/GG chest rigs worked well.  We like them, although the kid is skinny so he loses a lot of molle as the two panels cinch up front to back with room to spare inside.  The double-stack rifle/pistol mag pouches worked well, but I still wonder if the TT .30 pouches would be better and more general purpose for loads/different mags.   I also wonder if a belt-rig with or without suspenders would put the bulk of weight on the hips instead of the shoulders.  

The GG slim FAK worked well for me for me.  The Condor FAK the kid was carrying split open, dumping the contents on his final run from stage 8.  Perhaps a side effect of too much stuff in the pouch because there was room or perhaps the pouch design or just that it rode under his arm.  Regardless it was a cumbersome under his arm and failed him in the final run.   We need to revisit the FAK case with something else stowed differently.  The Boy Scout in me made me take all my kids to the Lone Star Medics Medic 1 class last fall so they could get some hand-on and learn how to use some life-saving tools.  Now they have some of those tools and we’re tuning.

The 3L source bladders were heavy to me and more than enough for this event.   Gaming the event, we could’ve run with half or less, but SHTF, I’d want all 3L perhaps more.   We also started well hydrated.
We ran tight on pistol ammo because of poor marksmanship.  We both could’ve made it through with 3 rifles mags, again if the objective were to game the course.  I’d rather have more and know that I can carry more.

My son carried a TT dump pouch on his belt that he liked and worked well for him.  I used a GG general purpose pouch on the chest-rig and it worked ok for me as well.  Adding a dump pouch would allow me to keep my loaded/unloaded mags separated.
I used the 33rd mag to top off partial mags while moving.  My son just loaded that dude up at one point and left it in to avoid mag changes.  

One of the runners parked near us suggested that the ear muffs might get too sweaty and uncomfortable.  He also suggested gloves, which we already had.   Took his advice and ran with ear-plugs.  Glad I did as I was definitely a sweathog and could see how this might not be comfortable.   My son ran with the electronic ears and he had no problem with them, however he was removing them between stages which would certainly help the ears/muffs dry out and cool off.

Other notes:
Cow flop, cactus and mesquite trees weren’t significant issues during this run.  Not sure if that’s usual, so YMMV.  We didn’t see any snakes or other critters for that matter.  Just zombies.  Wait times at shooting stage were all <10 minutes when I went through with groups/families.   The event was well managed especially given the unexpected popularity.  The land-owners encouragement and thumbs up near the end was appreciated.  I appreciate that folks like him are around to let folks like us shoot on their land.  The volunteer RO’s were awesome.  There was no weak-hand shooting required.  Folding chairs and pop-up canopies made for a nice place to sit.  PT more.  Eat better. Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate.  

Beaver aren't necessarily friendly:

Once again, many thanks for the helpful replies here.  The event was awesome a definitely worth the time and trip. We're still talking it up.  I'm hoping to make it to the October run, potentially with my daughter.  My son above would love to go, but he'll be 2-3 weeks into boot at MCRD San Diego.  

-Jim
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 9:24:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Photo bombed?  Not my jeep, but thought it was cool pic with the tree... Didn't notice the other activity until a day or two later...

Link Posted: 4/15/2015 11:51:17 PM EDT
[#9]
LOL  Awesome write-up Jim.  

I plan to be there with you in October.  Now's the time to start training!
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 8:08:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Results,  anybody heard anything?
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 8:27:27 AM EDT
[#11]
I,ll call and check on scores right now.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 9:01:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Great AARs. Thanks for posting.

Smoothest event I've worked yet.

Super busy at work this week and I'm running another shoot this weekend.

I'll post my experience next week or so.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 12:07:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 12:24:00 PM EDT
[#14]
scores are inbound. They have been tabulated by the firm of   Boyd, Dewey, Kowntum and shlow, (lol) and sealed in a jar being sent by USPS . We all know how that is but thay shall be up shortly and I,ll put them here too.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 1:20:30 PM EDT
[#15]
txjim42, I want to echo sowah and inquire about your son's combat shirt.  That looks pretty much what I was wanting: long sleeves, pocket on upper sleeve (to hold time card), intregral elbow pads and performance water wicking material if possible.

Do you know what brand, source, and cost?  Did he have issues with it.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 8:26:15 PM EDT
[#16]
I think the shirt he wore was made by Massif.  We found it on Ebay last year along with his MC pants and matching bdu shirt.  He's wearing a medium/regular there.   He thinks the shirt is awesome and does a great shop of sweat management.  His only complaint is the zippers on the sleeve pockets are stiff and a little difficult to manipulate when the sleeve slips up and down and while wearing the chestrig.  He kept his 20rd mag for stage 1 in one sleeve, but the time-card moved around.  He did the zip-line with the card in his mouth per the pic I saw from the cameraman at the obstacle.

I'll add a pic of the tag(s) in a bit....

ETA: Pic and now I'm not sure who made it... Mount Rogers CSB?

Link Posted: 4/16/2015 9:19:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 11:26:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
scores are inbound. They have been tabulated by the firm of   Boyd, Dewey, Kowntum and shlow, (lol) and sealed in a jar being sent by USPS . We all know how that is but thay shall be up shortly and I,ll put them here too.
View Quote

Sorry for the delay but the chief has been busy with family, regular job , farming, 3 battleroad web sights, and the radio show that he cut short tonight to try to get the scores posted. Trying to extract them from Office Pro 600 of something like that right now.  Thank you guys for your patience and attending the event.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 9:32:41 AM EDT
[#19]
The shirt was made by a subcontractor Mount Rogers CSB, it is a substance abuse program in Virginia, the CSB is for Community Service Board.  They do contract manufacturing.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 12:50:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Nice detailed AAR Txjim42.

Sometimes an event is a catalyst to help motivate you into getting into a higher fitness level.  Great job!

ETA: I'm thinking about getting one those combat shirts your son is wearing for the next run, How does he like it? I pretty much wear a BDU jacket to fight off the poison, oak,ivy, sumac. Those shirts look like they run pretty cool and dry.
View Quote

That's an Army Combat Shirt, by Massif, available off of Ebay for cheap usually....  Personally, I hate them if not wearing body armor/required to wear an actualy uniform.  A HW-BDU or DCU shirt with no tshirt underneath is much more comfortable, and durable in my opinion.  I dislike how the sleeves are tight and slightly padded, making them just absorb and hold sweat, and not allowing any airflow on the arms.  Also the chest portion, while super thin, is also extremely non-durable.  Oh, and the flame-retardant coating makes them smell like cat piss.  Of course, these things are all just 100% my preference, and I will add that if wearing body armor, they are the best thing since sliced bread: wick the sweat off your torso, without any extra material and buttoms/zippers up the front to rub.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 2:55:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Pics are rolling in here: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.476776392471393.1073741825.118063521676017&type=1
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 4:13:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Pics are rolling in here: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.476776392471393.1073741825.118063521676017&type=1
View Quote

Scores are up on the website too!
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 4:18:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Scores are up. 56 minutes. Not bad for a 101 fever.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 5:30:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 6:57:31 PM EDT
[#25]
I thought I would do much better than October.  I took half an hour off my time but I ended up moving 17 places off Octobers placing.  Just goes to show you what mud will do.  I also noticed the shooting times were considerably reduced as well.  I know I shot alot better, especially the speed wall since I went 9 for 9 on it.  No matter it just shows always room for improvement.  I appreciated the ROs effort in supporting the ZDB.  Job well done and an event that everyone enjoyed.

thanks for the photo link I found I was in several.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 12:14:45 PM EDT
[#26]
More pics are up on the facebook page
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 2:44:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Looking at pics, were there prizes for top places this year?
Link Posted: 6/13/2015 9:34:49 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

I asked Mark - there were some prizes for the top winners. Mostly stuff donated by the one or two vendors and some of the ROs.

They can't seem to get good sponsors despite the popularity of the event.

I was happy to finally complete Stage 8 The Speed Wall at this last event. First time evah! I had one second left  on the clock when they called my last hit.

Link Posted: 6/19/2015 12:30:45 PM EDT
[#29]
Any word on the Fall/October dates?  I really want to make this but my fall is filling up quick.
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 12:53:01 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Any word on the Fall/October dates?  I really want to make this but my fall is filling up quick.
View Quote

The next BRZDB will be Saturday October 10, 2015.

I need to arrange my time off as well.
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 3:04:32 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 4:26:22 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Tickets are already up, FYI.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tickets are already up, FYI.

I think I might give this a try. Looks like fun.
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 6:55:29 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks!  Checked the website and it still shows the April date.

Aggie football off week and no other races scheduled that day, that I'm aware of, so looks like I'll make it to this one.
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 6:59:42 PM EDT
[#34]
I'll probably get tickets soon, I did find a smaller dump pouch. Just not got it yet.

Trying to pursade my girl friend to do it.
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 7:03:20 PM EDT
[#35]
I'll be there again. May bring a different rifle this time for something new
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 8:59:31 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

I'll probably get tickets soon, I did find a smaller dump pouch. Just not got it yet.

View Quote

A lot of women ran the last one, so she won't be alone.

I've run the last two and haven't seen the need for a dump pouch. Everything would probably fall out of most models going over the obstacles anyway.
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 9:48:14 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I've run the last two and haven't seen the need for a dump pouch. Everything would probably fall out of most models going over the obstacles anyway.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nah, not for the general course. Just for mag changes during the firing stages, mag rentition and not stuffing used mags back in their pouches
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 10:52:05 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Thanks!  Checked the website and it still shows the April date.

Aggie football off week and no other races scheduled that day, that I'm aware of, so looks like I'll make it to this one.
View Quote

For some reason the link isn't as easy to find as it should be.

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/battle-road-usas-zombie-destruction-biathlon-october-10th-2015-tickets-16562080629
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 12:53:29 AM EDT
[#39]
Time-off requests after August are on hold here.  I've been telling my supervisors I will be off that weekend.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 11:23:39 AM EDT
[#40]
The website lists both Oct 10 and 11 dates for the event in multiple pages.  On the home page it has both Oct 10 & 11 with one in the title and the other in the schedule.  You might mention it to the powers that be this could present some confusion.  I sure was.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 11:57:21 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I asked Mark - there were some prizes for the top winners. Mostly stuff donated by the one or two vendors and some of the ROs.

I was happy to finally complete Stage 8 The Speed Wall at this last event. First time evah! I had one second left  on the clock when they called my last hit.

<a href="https://imageshack.com/i/idzM6tDVj" target="_blank">http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1024x768q90/661/zM6tDV.jpg</a>

<a href="https://imageshack.com/i/f0tCBgYUj" target="_blank">http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1024x768q90/540/tCBgYU.jpg</a>
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="https://imageshack.com/i/idzM6tDVj" target="_blank">http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1024x768q90/661/zM6tDV.jpg</a>

<a href="https://imageshack.com/i/f0tCBgYUj" target="_blank">http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1024x768q90/540/tCBgYU.jpg</a>

That doesn't look like an AK to me...
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 10:04:30 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
The website lists both Oct 10 and 11 dates for the event in multiple pages.  On the home page it has both Oct 10 & 11 with one in the title and the other in the schedule.  You might mention it to the powers that be this could present some confusion.  I sure was.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Thanks for bringing that up.

At least the registration page appears correct.

Quoted:
That doesn't look like an AK to me...

Something had to go in the trashcan.    
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 12:16:55 PM EDT
[#43]
I believe my fellow akforum members would take issue with the trashcan comment.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 4:01:01 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 7:18:19 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I believe my fellow akforum members would take issue with the trashcan comment.
View Quote

What soowah said. All in good fun. I poke fun at myself.

Will is just jerking my chain - we are acquainted. He was probably shocked that I was photographed holding a direct impingement device.

Will ROing with EvilApplesauce shooting on Stage 4 in April 2014.

I am very familiar with the forum you mentioned. If you show up at a Battle Road ZDB and ask "Where is the AK guy" most RO's present will point at me.

I used an iron sight AK74 at the very first BRZDB - I did OK with it until Stage 7 (now known as Stage 8). This is what I used at that event - almost all of the web gear has changed and or been sold. That was February 2013 - the panic made ammo all the more precious but we still participated.

I’m at the point where I need optics for distant target detection so I’ve been sporting my old Bushmaster or my HK91 at these events until I get an AK set up the way I want.

I do have fun trying to infect my Battle Road friends with the other rifle platform. Here is Mike shooting my Draco SBR in the Stage 8 area for fun the Sunday after the last event.  

Mark Martinez has pretty much rejected my AK efforts though – he pretty much thinks I’m trying to turn Davilla, TX into a Kurdish enclave. At the last event Mark informed me he sold his last AK. I was sad panda.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 9:37:32 PM EDT
[#46]
I know it was all in good fun, I was continuing the theme.  The two ZBDs I have participated in I have used a Sig 556R.  It is not an AK but close.  I wanted a optic as well for those 250 m shots.  I have not had any trouble with the stage 8, it was alot of fun I wish it had more shots.
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 10:27:03 AM EDT
[#47]
Just found out that I'll be out of town for this one, again.  Pretty pissed about missing all 3 since I first heard about it, but got the blessing from the rib to go in April 2016 if it's on our anniversary weekend again.
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 9:40:55 PM EDT
[#48]
Make it a team event and then do something she really likes.  I say that but it is tough to get my spouse to shoot any long gun.  She likes pistols, besides the hot, sweaty, running,.....
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 11:25:22 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Make it a team event and then do something she really likes.  I say that but it is tough to get my spouse to shoot any long gun.  She likes pistols, besides the hot, sweaty, running,.....
View Quote

A team category would be cool. Can't really be competitive running with anyone else due to the wait times.
Link Posted: 7/14/2015 7:08:35 AM EDT
[#50]
It is with great sadness to say that the co- founder and property owner of Battleroadusa has passed away. Micheal Adam was a friend and all around great person who did much to advance shooting sports. At this time I have no Info on the next biathlon , but we will keep everyone informed.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top