Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/1/2015 12:21:33 PM EDT
Texas Transportation Code §548.602, “Failure to Display Inspection Certificate,” and §548.605, “Dismissal of Charge; Administrative Fee,” have been repealed effective March 1, 2015. It will no longer be a violation of the Transportation Code to operate a motor vehicle without a valid inspection certificate on or after March 1, 2015."

I get to skip almost a year of inspection. Saving me a whopping $39.50 per vehicle.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 12:23:57 PM EDT
[#1]
But you have to have inspection in order to get registration....
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 12:28:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
But you have to have inspection in order to get registration....
View Quote

Got new registration in 2 weeks ago. good till 02/16
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 12:49:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Nice.  Just remember to go get them inspected before you do your registration next year.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 12:54:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Nice.  Just remember to go get them inspected before you do your registration next year.
View Quote

I think now you do it all at the same time, registration and inspection all at once. So, according to the new law, you can let your inspection lapse and only need to have your car inspected when your registration is due.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 1:16:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 1:24:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Yep, all at one time. One sticker at the point of inspection if I remember the notification I got. IIRC the price goes down a few buck as well.
View Quote

No way 254 counties give up the power to register cars and give it to the car wash.

Effective March 1, 2015, before a vehicle may be registered or its registration renewed, DMV or a county assessor-collector must verify that the vehicle has passed the required inspection, as indicated in the DPS inspection database. If the database information is not available, the vehicle owner may present a passing Vehicle Inspection Report (VIR) issued for the vehicle, in order to complete the registration process. The VIR is not required to be carried for potential display to a peace officer except as noted for commercial vehicles.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 1:25:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Do you not have to get the inspection at least 90 days before renewing the tags?
That was my understanding.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 1:35:59 PM EDT
[#8]
So that inspection receipt, which I always throw away because the sticker is on the windshield; I now have to hold on to, to renew registration?
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 1:36:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 1:37:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I guess I misunderstood when I read it last year. I though it said stickers would be issued through the inspection place. So it appears they created a database for the "car wash" places to upload to.

Two steps, one sticker.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yep, all at one time. One sticker at the point of inspection if I remember the notification I got. IIRC the price goes down a few buck as well.

No way 254 counties give up the power to register cars and give it to the car wash.

Effective March 1, 2015, before a vehicle may be registered or its registration renewed, DMV or a county assessor-collector must verify that the vehicle has passed the required inspection, as indicated in the DPS inspection database. If the database information is not available, the vehicle owner may present a passing Vehicle Inspection Report (VIR) issued for the vehicle, in order to complete the registration process. The VIR is not required to be carried for potential display to a peace officer except as noted for commercial vehicles.

I guess I misunderstood when I read it last year. I though it said stickers would be issued through the inspection place. So it appears they created a database for the "car wash" places to upload to.

Two steps, one sticker.

You are not alone. What I was told just a few weeks ago was not correct, though it was different from what you had!

I think it is going to be a mess.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 1:57:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Texas Transportation Code §548.602, “Failure to Display Inspection Certificate,” and §548.605, “Dismissal of Charge; Administrative Fee,” have been repealed effective March 1, 2015. It will no longer be a violation of the Transportation Code to operate a motor vehicle without a valid inspection certificate on or after March 1, 2015."

I get to skip almost a year of inspection. Saving me a whopping $39.50 per vehicle.
View Quote

06 Diesel Pickup - I think it was $16- safety inspection only.

LBZ engine - no particulate filter, no def and no mods to the engine

I'm gonna drive it into the ground.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 2:56:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Do you not have to get the inspection at least 90 days before renewing the tags?
That was my understanding.
View Quote

Or you can bring the paperwork from the station and show them.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 3:00:43 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I guess I misunderstood when I read it last year. I thought it said stickers would be issued through the inspection place. So it appears they created a database for the "car wash" places to upload to.

Two steps, one sticker.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I guess I misunderstood when I read it last year. I thought it said stickers would be issued through the inspection place. So it appears they created a database for the "car wash" places to upload to.

Two steps, one sticker.

The inspection stations have been linked to state and reported all inspections into a database for MANY years.

Link Posted: 3/1/2015 3:32:42 PM EDT
[#14]
So If I already have a registration sticker that is good until Oct of 15, but my car does not have a valid inspection sticker. Can I just scrape my old inspection stick off and be good? This car sits in storage most of the year so I didn't get it out to be inspected.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 4:23:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
So that inspection receipt, which I always throw away because the sticker is on the windshield; I now have to hold on to, to renew registration?
View Quote

You don't have to hold onto it. When you get your car inspected, the inspector will put it in the DPS database system that your vehicle passed so the DMV will know. It wouldn't hurt to hold on to that receipt in case.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 6:08:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Bought a new trailer last year that has a current inspection sticker that expires a month after the registration. Got the letter that states they have no record of inspection. Reminds me of New Mexico, same old DMV garbage. Here we go again.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 7:27:32 PM EDT
[#17]
I have a motorcycle due both inspection and plates this month. How are motorcycles affect by this?
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 8:25:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
So If I already have a registration sticker that is good until Oct of 15, but my car does not have a valid inspection sticker. Can I just scrape my old inspection stick off and be good? This car sits in storage most of the year so I didn't get it out to be inspected.
View Quote

Yep, basically getting a free pass for now.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 10:57:34 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

I have a motorcycle due both inspection and plates this month. How are motorcycles affect by this?
View Quote
They are the same changes.

Go get the registrations now and you can probably forego the inspections this year

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 1:47:31 AM EDT
[#20]
As a newbie who will be moving there what all is involved in these inspections?  I generally see them as a scam to drive business to the local shops.  Didn't have inspections in Ohio and I very much liked it that way.  Is there any talk of getting rid of them there?
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 5:11:58 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
As a newbie who will be moving there what all is involved in these inspections?  I generally see them as a scam to drive business to the local shops.  Didn't have inspections in Ohio and I very much liked it that way.  Is there any talk of getting rid of them there?
View Quote

No talk of eliminating them, but may go tighter on urban counties for emission testing if counties don't make it under federal limits.

All counties check lights, horn, wipers, tires. park brake needs to hold, brakes just need to work without any grinding. Emission test counties OBD II just check for codes and gas cap test. Earlier vehicles 2 speed emission test back to '83. State sets the price of tests.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 8:37:05 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Go get the registrations now and you can probably forego the inspections this year  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sadly both expire in March
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 9:33:47 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Bought a new trailer last year that has a current inspection sticker that expires a month after the registration. Got the letter that states they have no record of inspection. Reminds me of New Mexico, same old DMV garbage. Here we go again.
View Quote

Your trailer has an inspection sticker? What kind of trailer?
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 10:46:33 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Two of my trailers have inspection stickers, a B5 PJ flatbed rated at 10k and a Excel fifth-wheel rated at 17.5k. All trailers rated over 4500lbs GVWR are required to be inspected,  http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/rsd/vi/inspection/inspectionCriteria.aspx  and all trailers over 4000lbs are required to be titled,  http://txdmv.gov/motorists/buying-or-selling-a-vehicle/trailers. Also make sure you know the gross combined weight rating of your pickup truck, if it exceeds 26,000 which many of the newer ones do, you will need a Class B license to tow any trailer up to 10,000lbs and a Class A for trailers exceeding 10,000lbs.  
Be advised, Texas has been really cracking down lately.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 11:34:25 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

No talk of eliminating them, but may go tighter on urban counties for emission testing if counties don't make it under federal limits.

All counties check lights, horn, wipers, tires. park brake needs to hold, brakes just need to work without any grinding. Emission test counties OBD II just check for codes and gas cap test. Earlier vehicles 2 speed emission test back to '83. State sets the price of tests.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Correct except if memory serves the pre-ODB II vehicle tests currently only go back to 1990.  It is cars 24 years old or newer that have to be tested.  After that they are just supposed to do a "visual inspection" to check if the required emissions devices are present, mainly the cat converters.  However, I've noticed most inspection stations do not not bother to check.  The last inspection on my 25+ year old Vette they never popped the hood or looked underneath so if I had straight piped the converter or removed the AIR pump, EGR valve, etc., they would never have known.  I know quite a few other people who have similar era Vettes and other sports or muscle cars who don't have any of the factory emissions devices present and they have no trouble getting inspected in Travis, Wilco or Hayes.  I suspect the same is true in SA, DFW or Houston as well.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 11:42:46 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Correct except if memory serves the pre-ODB II vehicle tests currently only go back to 1990.  It is cars 24 years old or newer that have to be tested.  After that they are just supposed to do a "visual inspection" to check if the required emissions devices are present, mainly the cat converters.  However, I've noticed most inspection stations do not not bother to check.  The last inspection on my 25+ year old Vette they never popped the hood or looked underneath so if I had straight piped the converter or removed the AIR pump, EGR valve, etc., they would never have known.  I know quite a few other people who have similar era Vettes and other sports or muscle cars who don't have any of the factory emissions devices present and they have no trouble getting inspected in Travis, Wilco or Hayes.  I suspect the same is true in SA, DFW or Houston as well.
View Quote

You should have classic car license on that Vette which will negate the inspection requirement.

Vince
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 1:59:06 PM EDT
[#27]
[b]Two of my trailers have inspection stickers, a B5 PJ flatbed rated at 10k and a Excel fifth-wheel rated at 17.5k. All trailers rated over 4500lbs GVWR are required to be inspected,  http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/rsd/vi/inspection/inspectionCriteria.aspx  and all trailers over 4000lbs are required to be titled,  http://txdmv.gov/motorists/buying-or-selling-a-vehicle/trailers. Also make sure you know the gross combined weight rating of your pickup truck, if it exceeds 26,000 which many of the newer ones do, you will need a Class B license to tow any trailer up to 10,000lbs and a Class A for trailers exceeding 10,000lbs.  
Be advised, Texas has been really cracking down lately.
View Quote

Ok. I had never heard of that before, bu all I have, are 3 boat trailers that do not meet the weight requirments.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 2:30:16 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

View Quote
Most places are just inspection.  They did away with headlight aiming because many stations were scamming people on that.  But they have been cracking down on diesel exhaust systems due to rolling coal by bro dozer flat bill douche nozzles.  My youngest boy has a restored 1986 M1009 CUCV,  a Chevy Blazer with 6.2diesel.  He got pinched at inspection because the idiot said the vehicle was missing catalytic converters.  I went there a week later and my 1031 passed.  Same engine and exhaust system.

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 6:30:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's exactly where I'm at, too. My registration is good until October 2015, but my registration expired yesterday. I was about to go get it inspected when I saw this topic (thanks, OP). So I can now wait until sometime just before October to get the inspection.

If I read it right, it also says there is no longer an inspection fee. Is that right?
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 7:06:06 PM EDT
[#30]
I'm ready for my 94 Silveradoto hit 25 so it's exempt from emmissions. The rest of this is useless bullshit. Eliminate inspections altogether
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 7:13:28 PM EDT
[#31]
I was in the Harris County tax office today renewing my registration and overheard a guy raising hell about renewing his registration.  Apparently his inspection is good THROUGH March but his Registration was not.  The tax office was forcing him to have his inspection done prior to renewing his registration....effectively negating his March inspection and making him pay an extra month's worth of inspection that he's already paid for or paying twice for March inspection...however you want to say it.

I stayed out of the convo....the guy was none happy with the people who worked there since it was his third time to wait through line today only now to find out that the March inspection wouldn't be pro-rated and he was double paying.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 7:51:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

You should have classic car license on that Vette which will negate the inspection requirement.

Vince
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Vince

Actually it doesn't negate that at all.  The "Classic" license plate just costs you more and gives you "free" personalization, but it still requires you to get yearly safety inspections.  The one you are thinking of that exempts you from inspections is the "Antique" plate...  Unfortunately that one has restrictions that you can only drive the vehicle under limited uses such as in parades, to and from said parades or to the shop.  So more or less you can't use a car registered as an Antique for regular driving at all.

http://www.dmv.com/tx/texas/custom-vehicle-registration

Ain't no such thing as a free lunch...
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 4:06:40 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

View Quote
I doubt there is any chance of them going away, since I'm pretty sure a lot of the emissions testing is federally required in most of the metropolitan areas. They are usually not a big deal, unless something goes funky on your emissions system.

Link Posted: 3/3/2015 7:34:57 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
That's exactly where I'm at, too. My registration is good until October 2015, but my registration expired yesterday. I was about to go get it inspected when I saw this topic (thanks, OP). So I can now wait until sometime just before October to get the inspection.

If I read it right, it also says there is no longer an inspection fee. Is that right?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, you can just scape off your expired inspection sticker and wait until before you renew your registration to get it inspected.

And yes, there is still a fee for inspection only now you do not pay the state's portion to the inspector (as in the past) but you will pay it at the time of registration. You will notice an increase in your registration fees but a decrease in the fees that you pay for the inspection.

From the website linked on the first page:

1. The inspection station’s portion of the fee is due at the time of inspection.

•    

The state’s portion of the fee is collected at the time of
    registration. The state’s portion of the inspection fees will be
    line-itemed on your registration renewal notice.

•  
    Link Posted: 3/3/2015 8:36:15 PM EDT
    [#35]
    Good to know, thanks!
    Link Posted: 3/4/2015 1:21:58 PM EDT
    [#36]
    Quoted:Actually it doesn't negate that at all.  The "Classic" license plate just costs you more and gives you "free" personalization, but it still requires you to get yearly safety inspections.  The one you are thinking of that exempts you from inspections is the "Antique" plate...  Unfortunately that one has restrictions that you can only drive the vehicle under limited uses such as in parades, to and from said parades or to the shop.  So more or less you can't use a car registered as an Antique for regular driving at all.

http://www.dmv.com/tx/texas/custom-vehicle-registration

Ain't no such thing as a free lunch...
    View Quote

And unless you pass the same cop everyday in the same spot how are they going to know your driving it everyday?
    Link Posted: 3/4/2015 5:07:48 PM EDT
    [#37]
    Up-date from a guinea pig. Went to get my trailer registered today, so off to the inspection station first. Inspector tells me they have not done a trailer yet and don't have the stickers. Tell him that all I need is a VIR. Says he has to call the state to confirm that (20min).  Inspects trailer, issues VIR, and off to the courthouse I go. Get there and am told VIR is not valid because the VIN is off by one number and plate number is wrong. Back to the inspection station for another try. Finally after two trips to the inspection station and two trips to the courthouse trailer is current.

Lesson;
    1.  Make sure the VIN and the license plate number on the vehicle inspection report (VIR) match the vehicle and registration certificate exactly, or a second and maybe a third trip will occur. 2.  Also, if it is a trailer, make sure they use the license plate number from the trailer and not the tow vehicle, or a second and maybe a third trip will occur.
    Link Posted: 3/4/2015 8:43:46 PM EDT
    [#38]
    I'm not surprised he didn't know about it. I do inspections at work and the DPS guy wouldn't tell us anything about it. All he told us is we aren't issuing anymore stickers, we have to give them some paper instead. Nothing about if your sticker is due before or after your tags are or anything. So if your inspection is due before your tags are, I'd just scrape your inspection off and get it inspected when you have to get your tags.
    Link Posted: 3/5/2015 3:01:49 AM EDT
    [#39]
    If for some reason you need your inspection report you can download from the DPS vehicle inspection website.  They have been available online for several years.

The Law Enforcement Guide website to the new requirements is more informative than the Two Steps, One Sticker website.
    Link Posted: 3/5/2015 2:15:17 PM EDT
    [#40]
    My old truck's inspection sticker went out the end of Feb., but we don't drive it much. The tag goes out in July. We were planning to take it tomorrow to get inspected, but if I read this right, we don't have to worry about it until before we get the new tag in July?

First Year – March 2015 through February 2016
    After March 1, 2015, a vehicle passing the annual inspection will not be issued an inspection certificate. If the vehicle’s registration renewal is not due until some month after March 2015, it is possible Law Enforcement Officers will see vehicles with no inspection certificate displayed. The registration decal issued to the vehicle will serve as the visual indicator that the vehicle is in compliance with the vehicle inspection requirements in Transportation Code, Chapter 548.
    View Quote
    Link Posted: 3/5/2015 5:07:34 PM EDT
    [#41]
    SJ586
    Thank you.
    That site explained it well.
    Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
    Top Top