Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/28/2015 12:10:01 AM EDT
I am interested in starting a gun shop.  I intend on having lower receivers made with my roll mark and assemble custom ar15s on a per order basis as well as have a few low end builds on the shelf for sale.  If I am understanding the sea of information on the BATFE website correctly, I have to apply for a 07 FFL, and register with ITAR (even though I will not be importing or exporting), and pay the 11% excise tax on the ARs that I build (provided I build 50 a year or more).  This will not be the only thing offered of course, but the only "manufacturing" that I intend on doing.  Even though I am not machining parts in house, and only assembling them ITAR is still an issue, am I understanding this correctly?
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 12:13:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Correct on all counts.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 1:16:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Doesn't the ITAR have an annual fee in addition to the 11%...something to the tune of $2500 per year.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 12:05:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes, ITAR is $2250 a year and the 11% is a different fee.  Definitely not friendly to a smaller operation or trying to start-up
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top