Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/27/2015 4:09:21 PM EDT
It took me two hours to get to and from the grocery store. A dump truck spun out and wound up in the ditch. They had to call in a big semi to pull it out.

Now they're saying that all the slush on the roads is going to freeze overnight and turn to ice.

Be careful out there.

For those of you who don't know how to drive in this stuff:

GO SLOW!

Slow down over bridges and over passes!

If you spin, then take your foot off the gas and GENTLY turn into the spin. DO NOT SLAM ON THE BRAKES! DO NOT JERK THE WHEEL OVER!

Lots of wrecks already. Don't get killed. Your pickup truck is not better in snow and ice, it's worse!
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 4:31:16 PM EDT
[#1]
3  hours from downtown FT Worth to Marine Creek area. Almost an hour and a half of that was getting out of down town.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 4:35:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Also, if you ARE driving slow because you're being cautious, please drive in the right lane! And especially, don't drive straddling 2 lanes.

It took me over an hour to drive 20 miles. Lots of really icy slush and every bridge was solid ice/snow.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:06:02 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Also, if you ARE driving slow because you're being cautious, please drive in the right lane! And especially, don't drive straddling 2 lanes.

It took me over an hour to drive 20 miles. Lots of really icy slush and every bridge was solid ice/snow.
View Quote

THIS!

I get it if you are scared or don't know how to drive on ice/snow, I can understand. But if you are one of those people, keep to the RIGHT!

Sometimes driving too slow is as worse as driving too fast

Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:11:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Hopefully by the time I fly in tonight most of the idiots will be home. When I left Tuesday mor isn't I only passed three cars from Mckinney to DFW.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:13:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:25:51 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
THIS!

I get it if you are scared or don't know how to drive on ice/snow, I can understand. But if you are one of those people, keep to the RIGHT!

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

THIS!

The problem is that a lot of people THINK they know how to drive in snow and ice, but they don't. These are the ones you see in the ditch or run up on the median. That's IF they don't hit someone else.

When I was on my learner's permit my Dad used to take me out and practice sliding and recovering in the church parking lot down the street. On ice, like we had last winter, your brakes are useless. You slide until you run out of momentum.

Besides, most of you can't drive in good weather!
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:34:25 PM EDT
[#7]
I am in Fallon Nevada right now, and hoping to fly home tomorrow morning.  Y'all be careful
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:51:39 PM EDT
[#8]
And don't forget to put on your emergency flashers. That way, everyone around you will be aware it's hazardous driving conditions. No point keeping that big secret to your self!
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 6:01:44 PM EDT
[#9]
And when your coming up to a stop, put your car in neutral. You don't need the engine working against you when some of your wheels may not have traction for breaking.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 6:03:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
And don't forget to put on your emergency flashers. That way, everyone around you will be aware it's hazardous driving conditions. No point keeping that big secret to your self!
View Quote

Holy shit, we should be friends.  I hate it when people do this, ESPECIALLY WHEN THEY ARE IN THE MF FAST LANE.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 6:17:21 PM EDT
[#11]
DFW IN RED ALERT!!!

Seriously. The NBC First at 4 has changed the background color of their set to red to indicate severity of the traffic situation.

But seriously, they are saying that the freezing rain is starting.

Link Posted: 2/27/2015 6:23:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Holy shit, we should be friends.  I hate it when people do this, ESPECIALLY WHEN THEY ARE IN THE MF FAST LANE.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not to be contrary but it may not always be as it seems.  When I was a lad, guy behind me with flashers on kept honking and the kid in the passenger seat was flipping me off.  What was I supposed to do, there was a massive line of cars in front of me for a red light.  So I returned the favor and tried my hardest to convince them they were really number one. Turns out, they just needed me to scoot up a bit so they could get into the clinic parking lot.  

Figure the kid was just trying to show me his finger was injured. I felt bad

But yes, I did see a retard driving with their flashers on today, and they weren't in to particular hurry.  The one that kills me is the people that use there turn signal in my parking garage.  It's right in all the way to the top and right out all the way to the bottom, no other choices allowed per signage.  Yes, I know your going to turn right, that's how this works.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 7:38:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Getting better for now. Far north dfw is getting heavy snow. Gunter, Celina area.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 8:36:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

THIS!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

THIS!

Says the guy that can hook up dogs from his kennel and sled home.

Link Posted: 2/27/2015 9:03:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Took my wife two and a half hours to drive from downtown Dallas to our home in north Arlington earlier this afternoon.   Took me 30 minutes to get from 35E to the MacArthur exit when I got off work at 1. Made it to the house at 2:45.  George Bush was damn near dead stopped.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 9:04:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I am in Fallon Nevada right now, and hoping to fly home tomorrow morning.  Y'all be careful
View Quote

Hold off until Sunday
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 10:25:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 10:26:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 10:31:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Flew into DFW, landed around 11, picked up my rental car to drive to Pecos....pulled into Sweetwater at 7:30, had enough, and stopped.

I love texas, but you guys don't know how to drive in the snow! Man, for the most part people might slow down to 50 in Buffalo in that sort of snow...BUT, you guys don't really have plows or salt...

Did anywhere from 8 to 30 getting through Dallas and Ft Worth, was doing 45 tops on 20 most of the way, a lot of times less....horrid conditions past Ranger, started freezing drizzle, saw LOTS of accidents, lots of tractor trailer in the ditches, 15 or so miles outside Abilene, saw 3 very fresh 18 wheeler crashes, saw another completely on its side...it was really bad...

So hopefully tomorrow it will be better, now the guy who I am swapping out has to drive our truck to the Midland Airport, and park it, I will drop the rental there and pick up the truck and head to Pecos...

I left Buffalo, and came down to worse weather here than we had there!
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 10:57:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Predictions of freezing drizzle in the AM.

I really wanted to go to Market Hall this weekend.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 11:06:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Anyone been on 121 recently? Just wondering how messy it is.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 11:28:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Predictions of freezing drizzle in the AM.

I really wanted to go to Market Hall this weekend.
View Quote

Same here,may try to go Sunday AM
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 12:15:31 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

121 in Bonham or Fort Worth?

3-4 Inches of snow was too much here in Melissa, 15+ car pileup that made national news.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 12:43:28 AM EDT
[#24]
Screw the ice
I want to go to gun show and brewery tour tomorrow
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 12:53:06 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

3-4 Inches of snow was too much here in Melissa, 15+ car pileup that made national news.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ice and snow....who needs that.  That is a nightly occurrence at the state hwy 121 and northbound 75 exit ramp.  The big one today just happened to be on the southbound side.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 1:58:25 AM EDT
[#26]
Some people drive with their hazards on during heavy snow that drive white vehicles. In all honesty it makes it much easier to see them for the jackwagons driving too fast.  No, I do not drive a white vehicle but I do drive too fast.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 3:07:45 AM EDT
[#27]
Snow, sweet!!  Is this a common occurrence down there or is this fairly rare?
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 3:58:19 AM EDT
[#28]
FFS, now it's sleeting again. This is stupid.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 6:41:07 AM EDT
[#29]
I worked all week in Cleburne. Got off early yesterday to drive 200 miles home. Going down 67 was not fun, but doable. Just east of Brownwood I got clear of the mess. Smooth sailing and dry pavement on 87. I kept checking the traction and being cautious on bridges. Ten miles from home I hit black ice and rolled my pickup. Never let your guard down.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 9:05:40 AM EDT
[#30]
sorry about your pickup truck
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 9:19:23 AM EDT
[#31]
I-20 west bound between  67 and 408 is dead stop. not one, but TWO double trailer Fed-Ex trucks sideways across all lanes. this was at 0515 this morning. Back up is probably much worse by now.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 10:31:08 AM EDT
[#32]
Yep, we have freezing rain on the way. So much for the range this morning.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 10:50:28 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I worked all week in Cleburne. Got off early yesterday to drive 200 miles home. Going down 67 was not fun, but doable. Just east of Brownwood I got clear of the mess. Smooth sailing and dry pavement on 87. I kept checking the traction and being cautious on bridges. Ten miles from home I hit black ice and rolled my pickup. Never let your guard down.
View Quote

Don't u wish you just stayed in cleburne I stead of wasting all that time driving then rolling your truck?
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 10:52:24 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
And when your coming up to a stop, put your car in neutral. You don't need the engine working against you when some of your wheels may not have traction for breaking.
View Quote

What?? This post is full retard. Stay off the road
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 10:56:01 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think he's being sarcastic.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 10:58:15 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 10:59:32 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Don't u wish you just stayed in cleburne I stead of wasting all that time driving then rolling your truck?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, but I'm home now.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 12:31:43 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Snow, sweet!!  Is this a common occurrence down there or is this fairly rare?
View Quote

We usually get snow/ice once or twice a year.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 1:37:46 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't you wish you'd proof read your posts before being a douche?
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 4:37:42 PM EDT
[#40]
roads sucked this am everything refroze basically. My suv is awd so that helped quite a bit. but it  was still pretty sketchy.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 4:42:46 PM EDT
[#41]
Think i might venture out in a few hours, the ice is finally melting.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 5:05:37 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 11:12:02 PM EDT
[#43]
I was in Dallas yesterday, trying to get back to Houston.  Rounded the 35S to 45S interchange and from that spot, took me 2.5 hours to get to the Live Oak exit, just 3 miles down the road.  Yes, 2.5 hours to go 3 miles.  In that 3 miles, I saw 16 accidents - every one of them was people sliding off the banked road into the guardrail.  

It was brutal.  

Link Posted: 3/1/2015 9:55:00 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually no I'm not. Although I probably should have been more specific. If your trying to slow your vehicle down on ice or just maintain a slow speed going down an icy hill and you have a rear wheel drive or 4WD vehicle. There are certain conditions when it's best to put it in neutral so that your rear wheels are not working against you and forcing you to lock up your front wheels loosing control. Also going down icy hills just letting the engine slow you down can cause the drive wheels to loose traction since the engine speed may not match the road speed and cause the rear end to start sliding. I spent a large portion of my life up north driving in snow and ice in a very hilly area of Iowa. Putting my truck in neutral saved my but more than a few times and I have never had an accident. If you have front wheel drive it may not work as well for you. But don't just take my word for it, scroll down a bit on this site and they answer that very question.
http://www.drivingtips.org/winter-driving-tips.html
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 11:12:39 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep! When I get to a particularly bad stretch I put the hazards on, so hopefully people behind me will understand they need to slow down.

Driving on ice is really easy - turning or stopping on ice is the problem. People think everything is great because they are moving forward with no problem, but suddenly are spinning sideways or slamming into other cars when a turn or stop is needed. Keep a speed and distance that will allow you to unexpectedly stop, that's the rule.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 12:29:42 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Took me 4 hours to get from downtown FW to the east side of Plano yesterday.
View Quote

Yep took me four hours to get from south FTW to Addison on Friday. Wednesday is looking to be the same thing.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 4:45:49 PM EDT
[#47]
Whats the weather like in dfw ?
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 4:53:59 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry didn't realize we had an grammar admin in here.
Really who gives a shit..i sent it from my phone
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 4:56:21 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Actually no I'm not. Although I probably should have been more specific. If your trying to slow your vehicle down on ice or just maintain a slow speed going down an icy hill and you have a rear wheel drive or 4WD vehicle. There are certain conditions when it's best to put it in neutral so that your rear wheels are not working against you and forcing you to lock up your front wheels loosing control. Also going down icy hills just letting the engine slow you down can cause the drive wheels to loose traction since the engine speed may not match the road speed and cause the rear end to start sliding. I spent a large portion of my life up north driving in snow and ice in a very hilly area of Iowa. Putting my truck in neutral saved my but more than a few times and I have never had an accident. If you have front wheel drive it may not work as well for you. But don't just take my word for it, scroll down a bit on this site and they answer that very question.
http://www.drivingtips.org/winter-driving-tips.html
View Quote

Interesting...thanks. I feel weary of doing all that myself
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 12:28:16 AM EDT
[#50]
Had freezing slush on me when I was picking up the munchkin from drill team tryouts.

So glad that it is so warm that the Arctic Circle's ice cap melted off in 2014 per Al Gore's prediction.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top