Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/26/2015 9:55:59 PM EDT
Hey, in dfw,
looking to buy a 80% lower, but i dont have a capable hand drill, or a mill
im wanting to know, before i buy it, if anyone near me has a mill or a cnc machine, or knew anyone or anywhere that would be able to mill/machine out a 80% AR15 lower receiver
thanks
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 10:00:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 10:24:25 PM EDT
[#2]
buy 100% lower and...
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 10:52:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Is this a test?

OP.......read this before you waste your $$$ on an chunk of aluminum:
http://www.atf.gov/sites/default/files/assets/Firearms/FirearmsIndustry/atf-ruling-2015-1-manufacturing-and-gunsmithing.pdf
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 11:59:40 PM EDT
[#4]
No fed, we won't mill your 80% lower for you.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 3:50:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Yeah, good luck with that.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 9:24:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Hey, in dfw,
im wanting to know, before i buy it, if anyone near me has a mill or a cnc machine, or knew anyone or anywhere that would be able to mill/machine out a 80% AR15 lower receiver
thanks
View Quote

you can order a mill and get FedEx to ship it to you
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 11:31:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Harbor Freight................
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 3:32:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Wow!
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 3:37:41 PM EDT
[#9]
In, I guess.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 4:31:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Do you have any of those DIAS from shot gun news to go with that?
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 6:04:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Amazon Prime! You can order a mill and get free shipping!

Link Posted: 2/27/2015 6:15:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

http://justmillingmachines.org/img/bbc4a240219b490d22ca61936c5d702f.jpg

View Quote

I would love to have that
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 6:21:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Do you have any of those DIAS from shot gun news to go with that?
View Quote

Maybe the nice officer can bring one when he brings his lower. Maybe one of those sweet oil filter drip adapters too.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 6:44:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Hey, in dfw,
thanks
View Quote

In case you don't know what others in this thread are talking about, BATFE has issued letters recently that essentially insinuate that they consider even loaning someone TOOLS like a drill press, bits or a jig to be the same as finishing the lower for them (which isn't legal for sure).

Even though many people consider this to be reaching way too far on their part and probably unenforceable if not outright not within their legal power...  it is unlikely that anyone in their right mind who is aware of how restrictive BATFE is getting will be willing to loan anything to anyone who they think might be planning on milling a lower.

I'm personally surprised that BATFE hasn't outright banned lower jigs or distribution of detailed blueprints.  Given the route they appear to be taken that is probably next.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 9:09:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Hey, in dfw,
thanks
View Quote

Yea sure, I'll mill it out for you.  And while I'm at it, I will make you a LL..............

Jokes aside OP, read the post above mine.   Best thing for you to do is either buy the tooling or just buy a stripped lower.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 9:25:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

In case you don't know what others in this thread are talking about, BATFE has issued letters recently that essentially insinuate that they consider even loaning someone TOOLS like a drill press, bits or a jig to be the same as finishing the lower for them (which isn't legal for sure).

Even though many people consider this to be reaching way too far on their part and probably unenforceable if not outright not within their legal power...  it is unlikely that anyone in their right mind who is aware of how restrictive BATFE is getting will be willing to loan anything to anyone who they think might be planning on milling a lower.

I'm personally surprised that BATFE hasn't outright banned lower jigs or distribution of detailed blueprints.  Given the route they appear to be taken that is probably next.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hey, in dfw,
thanks

You don't think he knows?
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 10:17:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 12:09:42 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hey, in dfw,
thanks

Not if it completes 80% lowers!

http://www.wired.com/2015/02/fedex-mill-untraceable-firearms/
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 12:11:34 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hey, in dfw,
thanks

Not really. See ruling Tom posted. They just re-iterated if you are in the business of making firearms you need a license.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 12:17:58 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Not really. See ruling Tom posted. They just re-iterated if you are in the business of making firearms you need a license.
View Quote

Looks like it says you can't even let other people use your machines to do their own lowers. That's a pretty serious stretch as to what constitutes manufacturing.

Link Posted: 2/28/2015 6:43:53 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Looks like it says you can't even let other people use your machines to do their own lowers. That's a pretty serious stretch as to what constitutes manufacturing.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wonder if this includes if you rent time on someone's machines like here at Tech Shop, or some other shop?
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 9:04:35 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hey, in dfw,
thanks

exactly why I posted my comment and specifically referred to FedEx!
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 11:40:42 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seems to me all the rulings apply to folks in the business:

Held, any person (including any corporation or other legal entity) engaged in the business

Held further, a business

Not sure where you see I cannot lend my DeWalt Drill to someone.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 1:15:26 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Seems to me all the rulings apply to folks in the business:

Held, any person (including any corporation or other legal entity) engaged in the business

Held further, a business

Not sure where you see I cannot lend my DeWalt Drill to someone.
View Quote

As long as you aren't compensated in any way.

Based on their ever-broadening definition of manufacturing, they're going to define "business" the same way.

When you let someone come use your stationary tools and don't touch their product in any way, you aren't manufacturing anything, they are, but the ATF doesn't see it that way.

Link Posted: 2/28/2015 1:20:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Is this case law or just speculation?
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 1:45:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

Misunderstanding.

ATF position is same as always. Just updated to reflect new technologies.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 1:08:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Misunderstanding.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Misunderstanding.

I don't think it is exactly the same as it always was.  At very least it their latest letters are worded in ways that it seems like BATFE is intentionally trying to create fear, uncertainty and doubt in order to try to intimidate people from activities that were previously considered legal.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 2:37:16 PM EDT
[#28]
It's always speculation until someone becomes the test subject....
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 12:16:24 AM EDT
[#29]
You could buy a drill press from Harbor Freight around $49 on sale, and slowly carefully finish a 80%.......takes a while and careful working.

OR

buy a completed finished lower for $49 and not have any problems building on that.

Up to YOU
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 12:51:55 AM EDT
[#30]
It is still legal to build a firearm for your own use. Be it from scratch or finishing an 80% lower. You obviously can't ever sell it, but you can will it to someone upon your death. They're (ATF) just saying that you have to do the work yourself, and you have to own the equipment you use to complete the lower. Anything other than that puts everyone involved in violation. Don't think that has ever been different.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 1:25:53 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
It is still legal to build a firearm for your own use. Be it from scratch or finishing an 80% lower. You obviously can't ever sell it, but you can will it to someone upon your death.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
It is still legal to build a firearm for your own use. Be it from scratch or finishing an 80% lower. You obviously can't ever sell it, but you can will it to someone upon your death.

Of course you can sell it.

Quoted:
. They're (ATF) just saying that you have to do the work yourself, and you have to own the equipment you use to complete the lower. Anything other than that puts everyone involved in violation. Don't think that has ever been different.

No that is not what they are saying. They are saying folks in the business of helping you finish your 80% receiver need an FFL. See the GhostRunner thread - there are folks with CNC mills on a truck who come to your home or build party and help you do the work, as part of a gun business. These folks are who the ruling is addressed to. Neighbors, friends, family not in the gun business can still lend tools skill no problem. Don't know how to setup your Dillon 650? No problem friend who does can help you and they do not need an FFL.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 8:53:00 AM EDT
[#32]
go buy the tool you need from harbor freight
use it then return it
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 6:14:17 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Of course you can sell it..
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you for the information. I was unaware that you could sell a firearm that an unlicensed  individual made.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 7:47:33 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
use it then return it
View Quote

Why not just steal it in the first place?
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 7:37:08 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

http://justmillingmachines.org/img/bbc4a240219b490d22ca61936c5d702f.jpg

View Quote

Link?
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 9:45:49 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
use it then return it

Link Posted: 3/4/2015 12:45:30 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Thank you for the information. I was unaware that you could sell a firearm that an unlicensed  individual made.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can't build it for the purpose of selling it, but you can build it, decide you don't want it anymore, and then sell it.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 7:40:57 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

You can't build it for the purpose of selling it, but you can build it, decide you don't want it anymore, and then sell it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top