Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/26/2015 11:53:58 AM EDT
I am contemplating a trip down to shoot some hogs.  The preference would be to have the ability to bring 3-4 good sized roasting hogs back with me.  And I'm guessing the other 2 guys would have the same intention.  I realize hog hunting has exploded in popularity, so prices have gone up, but so has the wild hog population.

Does anyone have any good recommendations for hunting hogs in North Texas.  My preference would be archery for at least a couple of them.  Ideally, I would like to be north of Lubbock or possibly up to an hour south.  

Any help would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 2:04:27 AM EDT
[#1]
North of the Lubbock is not "North Texas". It is the panhandle and by enlarge it is all plowed ground and not many hogs. No real cover for them. South of Lubbock is not many hogs either as it is basically a desert.

To get into the hogs you need to go east. Lots of hogs in the real "north Texas". I would look for places along the brazos river. Lots of hogs around Knox city. They run along the river for water and cover and feed in the peanut fields.

Link Posted: 2/27/2015 4:16:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
North of the Lubbock is not "North Texas". It is the panhandle and by enlarge it is all plowed ground and not many hogs. No real cover for them. South of Lubbock is not many hogs either as it is basically a desert.

To get into the hogs you need to go east. Lots of hogs in the real "north Texas". I would look for places along the brazos river. Lots of hogs around Knox city. They run along the river for water and cover and feed in the peanut fields.

View Quote

Agreed on all points, except you mean "by and large," not "by enlarge." That doesn't make any sense; it's like when people say "for all intensive purposes" - that doesn't mean anything. It should be "for all intents and purposes."

I was excited to see hog hunting opportunities in North Texas, then I found out it was just someone in Colorado who thinks Lubbock is North Texas.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 9:21:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I am contemplating a trip down to shoot some hogs.  The preference would be to have the ability to bring 3-4 good sized roasting hogs back with me.  And I'm guessing the other 2 guys would have the same intention.  I realize hog hunting has exploded in popularity, so prices have gone up, but so has the wild hog population.

Does anyone have any good recommendations for hunting hogs in North Texas.  My preference would be archery for at least a couple of them.  Ideally, I would like to be north of Lubbock or possibly up to an hour south.  

View Quote

a group of 3 just flew down from Aspen, Colorado, and landed at the airport in Denton, Texas, and spent 2 days hunting before their business meeting in Dallas... when all was said and done, they killed 81 hogs and a dozen coyotes, so they are definitely coming back! They are flying back with half a dozen ice chests full of meat
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 11:41:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote

Not true. Palo Duro Canyon starts just south of Amarillo and it's breaks are full canyons full of hogs. The Red River and the Canadian both have plenty of cover and water to support large hog populations and during the warmest months there is plenty of irrigation water flowing. I hunt Armstrong and Briscoe counties and we have all the hogs we can shoot.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 1:21:45 PM EDT
[#5]
My apologies for erroneously thinking that the panhandle was considered north Texas.  I was hoping to gain insight from locals that may know the people operating shoots/ranches and was interested in supporting friends of fellow board users.  Sorry again for my confusion.  I want to take these guys to a place where they will get a lot of shooting in.  I think we'd be willing to travel if the situation was right.  I will look into the areas recommended (Brazos River, Knox City, Denton, Palo Duro Canyon, Red River, and Canadian River).

from what I am reading from most of you, these outfits are no good as they are in the panhandle:
http://www.hoghuntingranch.com/Map.php
http://crookedwingoutfitters.com/hunting/hog-hunting/
http://www.huntmatador.com/pricing_seasons.html

Also found this: http://www.mylubbock.us/departmental-websites/departments/lake-alan-henry/hunting-information

Thanks again for the help!
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 4:30:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Agreed on all points, except you mean "by and large," not "by enlarge." That doesn't make any sense
View Quote

You are correct. It was late and I was posting from my phone.

I could care less about my grammer.

Just kidding - I couldn't care less.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 4:37:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Not true. Palo Duro Canyon starts just south of Amarillo and it's breaks are full canyons full of hogs. The Red River and the Canadian both have plenty of cover and water to support large hog populations and during the warmest months there is plenty of irrigation water flowing. I hunt Armstrong and Briscoe counties and we have all the hogs we can shoot.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A lot of the Palo Duro area is part of the park and you can not hunt it. There likely are hogs in the areas you mentioned I just don't really think of it as a hog hunting destination for someone coming from out of state. I have seen hogs over around Turkey but not in the quantities that they are in further east.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 2:05:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Plenty of hogs in Dalhart/Dumas area.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 3:02:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Check Craig's List.  There are usually plenty of guides advertising there.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 1:39:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

A lot of the Palo Duro area is part of the park and you can not hunt it. There likely are hogs in the areas you mentioned I just don't really think of it as a hog hunting destination for someone coming from out of state. I have seen hogs over around Turkey but not in the quantities that they are in further east.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The vast majority of the Canyon is actually outside the park, it runs for a couple hundred miles actually-or at least the breaks country does-Copper Canyons area etc.... Now, it is probably the case that the further east you go and the further south you go you will find more hogs. But, If someone has it in their mind to come to Lubbock/Amarillo etc....for some other reason and wants to shoot some hogs, there are plenty to shoot in the area.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 4:53:01 PM EDT
[#11]
I appreciate the feedback.

Thanks gentlemen.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 12:13:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

a group of 3 just flew down from Aspen, Colorado, and landed at the airport in Denton, Texas, and spent 2 days hunting before their business meeting in Dallas... when all was said and done, they killed 81 hogs and a dozen coyotes, so they are definitely coming back! They are flying back with half a dozen ice chests full of meat
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are you done playing just the tip and willing to tell us where this was?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top