Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/23/2015 10:20:18 PM EDT

Texas is a state where people care about their freedom, their individualism, and their constitutional rights.

So it is great news that Representative Jonathan Stickland (Dist. 92) has introduced House Bill 195, which would make Texas the seventh "constitutional carry" state in the country.

The concept of “constitutional carry” is simple:  An individual's ability to exercise his or her Second Amendment rights shouldn't depend on a “permit” from the government.

You don't need a government license to write a book.  So why should you have to get the government's okay in order to carry a firearm to protect yourself and your family?

Currently, Americans in Vermont, Alaska, Wyoming, Arizona, Arkansas, and most of Montana can carry a firearm without a government license.  Lest anyone fail to notice, these are not exactly high-crime areas as a result of their diligence for the constitutional rights of their citizens.  In fact, these are some of the safest places in America.

House Bill 195 would add Texas to that illustrious list of Constitution-loving states.

http://www.gunowners.org/state01232015a.htm
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 10:24:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Would be awesome
But not likely
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 10:39:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Not likely with Joe Straus.

Link Posted: 1/23/2015 10:41:39 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm not holding my breathe waiting on this to pass, I wouldn't recommend you doing it either.
I think we'll see OC in some form of license scheme shortly but this is a long way off.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 10:48:13 PM EDT
[#4]
There have been some procedural changes made that may be able to work around Strauss.

Unless there is a major "incident" between now and the end of the session I think we will end up with some type of open carry.
It more than likely will be open carry for CHL holders only at first. The OCT folks will scream, but it will be a baby step.
Would love to see constitutional carry but I won't hold my breath.

Call me selfish, but I want to keep reciprocity with other states and no background checks with a CHL.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 10:49:33 PM EDT
[#5]
How many of these exactly the same threads you gonna start?
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 11:46:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/24/2015 12:18:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

How many are you going to click on?

Txl
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 3:19:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Senator Huffines submitted Senate Bill 342 today as well. It appears to be the Senate version of HB 195.

http://www.legis.state.tx.us/BillLookup/History.aspx?LegSess=84R&Bill=SB342
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 11:44:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Txl
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Txl

All of them I decide to ask that question.  ;)
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 12:01:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
There have been some procedural changes made that may be able to work around Strauss.

Unless there is a major "incident" between now and the end of the session I think we will end up with some type of open carry.
It more than likely will be open carry for CHL holders only at first. The OCT folks will scream, but it will be a baby step.

Call me selfish, but I want to keep reciprocity with other states and no background checks with a CHL.
View Quote

I'm extremely worried that the O.C.T. ' Tards will find a way to showboat and screw this all up...

At a time when we need to be on our best and most professional behavior, I just think the urge to go "full returd" will overcome the O.C.T. children if they don't get exactly what they want and when they want it...

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 12:19:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I'm extremely worried that the O.C.T. ' Tards will find a way to showboat and screw this all up...

At a time when we need to be on our best and most professional behavior, I just think the urge to go "full returd" will overcome the O.C.T. children if they don't get exactly what they want and when they want it...

BIGGER_HAMMER
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

BIGGER_HAMMER

As we have seen so far, I'm more worried about the damage the Open Carry Tarrent County clowns have already caused than I am Open Carry Texas.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 12:48:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

BIGGER_HAMMER
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

BIGGER_HAMMER

Someone claiming to be CJ Grisham (chcknhawk) has been posting over in GD. Here is the link:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1710478_Saved_from_Tyrants_by_Open_Carry_D_bags.html&page=4

I suspect you will find it interesting reading. My opinion is that your concerns are valid!
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 2:05:03 PM EDT
[#13]
I don't foresee true constitutionally carry from an income standpoint. Why let somebody do something for free when we can charge for it.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 6:47:39 PM EDT
[#14]
nope.

The dems dont want it to happen becasue they hate guns.

The reups dont want it to happen because then they'd have to find a way to replace all the money from CHLs. Thhat means a new tax. They dont want to be voted out for voting for  a new tax.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 7:53:53 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
nope.

The dems dont want it to happen becasue they hate guns.

The reups dont want it to happen because then they'd have to find a way to replace all the money from CHLs. Thhat means a new tax. They dont want to be voted out for voting for  a new tax.
View Quote

I wonder how much extra money is left over after covering the costs/time of you CHL background? Since it takes at least 3-4 weeks to get your CHL when things are going right they may take quite a bit of time on the background check.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 10:12:16 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I wonder how much extra money is left over after covering the costs/time of you CHL background? Since it takes at least 3-4 weeks to get your CHL when things are going right they may take quite a bit of time on the background check.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
nope.

The dems dont want it to happen because they hate guns.

My understanding is that the Texas CHL program is a negative cash flow system. It's income does not cover it's operating cost.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 10:15:01 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

My understanding is that the Texas CHL program is a negative cash flow system. It's income does not cover it's operating cost.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
nope.

The dems dont want it to happen because they hate guns.

this is my belief as well. I can't see anyway that having to vet everyone who applies costs less than $142 each. Office space, personel, equipment, and benifits eat a lot of cash when your dealing with a govt agency.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 11:06:22 AM EDT
[#18]
Honestly, constitutional carry freaks me the f*ck out. If it passes, word gets out and next thing you know, many untrained dumbasses will be on the streets with guns on their hips. As if the CHL training/testing wasn't low enough of a standard already. I actually like that the law only allows upstanding citizens who have passed a background check and have gone through a basic class to understand the penal code and demonstrate very basic proficiency before they can walk around with a gun. Take away these requirements and complete idiots will walk into a gun store, buy a pistol, load it up, strap it on, and walk out, and go about their business until something stupid happens. I really don't want to cross paths with someone like that... They are a hazard to me, my family, and themselves. AND YOU. We should be encouraging a certain standard if we believe that an armed society is a polite society. We shouldn't be pushing an agenda that arms society without considering who we're arming. The wild west wasn't exactly a pretty scene.

And while we're on this topic of open carry... Is this really a legislative priority? I can't believe the amount of resources (time and money) that has gone into backing something so trivial. How about pro gun laws that actually could have an impact on people's safety? Like campus carry. Plenty of students, teachers, janitors, etc who spend a lot of time on a campus remain vulnerable in a gun free zone while the rest of us open carry where we could conceal carry anyway and be just as safe as before. Does this make any sense?

Those of you who support open carry: I challenge you to explain how open carry, whether licensed or not, makes you safer than concealed carry. My work required me to open carry and I actually feel way safer when I conceal carry. If your support for open carry has to do with comfort or convenience, maybe you should admit that campus carry is a more pressing issue.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 11:34:25 AM EDT
[#19]
Carrying around a pistol all the time is inconvenient.  It's heavy, it gets in the way, it pinches.  You know how it is.  I don't see a lot of people going out of their way to carry if they made it so everyone can carry.  If they do, it will not be all the time.  

I don't see where campus carry would benefit the majority of the voters in TX.  As far as safety goes, are there more people harmed on campuses or out in public?  

Open carry has nothing to do with safety.  It has everything to do with your rights.  If you want to always carry concealed, that should be your right.  If you want to carry your firearm in the open that should be your right also.  

Link Posted: 1/25/2015 11:52:14 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Carrying around a pistol all the time is inconvenient.  It's heavy, it gets in the way, it pinches.  You know how it is.  I don't see a lot of people going out of their way to carry if they made it so everyone can carry.  If they do, it will not be all the time.  

I don't see where campus carry would benefit the majority of the voters in TX.  As far as safety goes, are there more people harmed on campuses or out in public?  

Open carry has nothing to do with safety.  It has everything to do with your rights.  If you want to always carry concealed, that should be your right.  If you want to carry your firearm in the open that should be your right also.  

View Quote

A lot of students in college have chls. My friend holds chl classes on campus for UT and even drives out to Lubbock to do classes for Tech. All these students, plus the staff and faculty, would benefit. Returning military who use their GI Bill to go back to school would benefit. People attending concerts at school owned property would also benefit. Or attending school football games. I think there are enough Longhorns and Aggies and Bobcats and Red Raiders and Cougars and Bears games where attanding CHL holders would benefit from campus carry. And parents attending PTA meetings or their child's band/orchestra, etc... It's not just higher education. And people returning to community college to get additional certifications for work... +++

I view legislative sessions from a priority standpoint because of how things get done. If there was nothing else wrong with laws within Texas, and we've already made every responsible citizen as safe as we can by empowering them to protect themselves, then sure, let's get open carry passed for those who wanna tote openly.

But I do agree with you that passing constitutional carry doesn't mean EVERYONE will start carrying. It would increase the number of people who carry though. And many of the additional people who carry will likely not have basic understanding of the law or firearms safety like we force chl holders to learn while they suffer through the class. Constitutional carry just removes too much for me to feel comfortable with it :/
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 11:57:22 AM EDT
[#21]
Would campus carry over rule the prohibition on carrying at athletic events?  I don't remember this being part of it.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 12:03:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Would campus carry over rule the prohibition on carrying at athletic events?  I don't remember this being part of it.
View Quote

I think a good campus carry bill would remove the imaginary line that separates any school grounds from the rest of our world, whether it be k-12 or higher ed.

And college games aren't professional sports, right?

And while we're at it, why not remove pro sports from the list of banned carry sites? Or bars? See, there's so much more to do legislatively than open carry at places where we can already conceal carry.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 12:10:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I think a good campus carry bill would remove the imaginary line that separates any school grounds from the rest of our world, whether it be k-12 or higher ed.

And while we're at it, why not remove pro sports from the list of banned carry sites? Or bars? See, there's so much more to do legislatively than open carry at places where we can already conceal carry.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Keep in mind, as I recall, campus carry bills in the past always included a clause that allowed school administrations to disallow campus carry laws at their discretion. I'm in San Antonio. That means that UTSA could trump a campus carry law and forbid it on their campus. If this continues to be the case, what's the point.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 12:11:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm more interested in being able to carry a comfortable holster without worring if it's concealed or open. Currently I carry a OWB at the house or working outside and swap to a IWB when I run into town or go towork. I'll admit it, I'm lazy. I want to be able to carry year round with one setup. Summer sucks, carry-wise, in south Texas.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 12:11:14 PM EDT
[#25]
How about all prohibited places eliminated?
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 12:17:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

I would get behind that in a heartbeat.
***And I think that should take priority over open carry :P***
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 12:18:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

That would be great!!!!
However, I don't see the legislator gutting property rights.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 12:22:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Keep in mind, as I recall, campus carry bills in the past always included a clause that allowed school administrations to disallow campus carry laws at their discretion. I'm in San Antonio. That means that UTSA could trump a campus carry law and forbid it on their campus. If this continues to be the case, what's the point.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Um, I don't think so. State public schools can't really override state law. Private institutions might still be able to exercise their rights to disallow you on their property. But even if you're right, violating a school policy isn't nearly as dangerous as violating a state law :)  If I were a student and the law says I'm good, then I'd risk it with the school policy. That whole concealed means concealed thing ;)
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 12:26:49 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Um, I don't think so. State public schools can't really override state law. Private institutions might still be able to exercise their rights to disallow you on their property. But even if you're right, violating a school policy isn't nearly as dangerous as violating a state law :)  If I were a student and the law says I'm good, then I'd risk it with the school policy. That whole concealed means concealed thing ;)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not debating the good or bad of the concept, just trying to remember details of past campus carry bills.

ETA: clip from 2013 legislature (for what it's worth)

"AUSTIN, Texas, May 6 (Reuters) - The Texas House of Representatives on Monday gave final approval to a proposal to allow concealed handgun license holders to carry guns into buildings on college campuses.

The proposal, which was approved on a vote of 102-41, would allow public colleges and universities to opt out of allowing guns in buildings after consulting with students, faculty and staff. Private colleges and universities could opt in."

Note this legislation died in the senate.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 12:48:14 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

That would be great!!!!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That would be great!!!!

How would it gut property rights if the law does not list places you cannnot carry?

The state not telling you that you cant go there is not the same thing as the state saying you must be allowed there.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 12:52:32 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

How would it gut property rights if the law does not list places you cannnot carry?

The state not telling you that you cant go there is not the same thing as the state saying you must be allowed there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That would be great!!!!

I assumed he meant that a property owner would no longer be allowed to ask you to leave.
If that is not what he meant, then never mind.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 1:08:44 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Honestly, constitutional carry freaks me the f*ck out. If it passes, word gets out and next thing you know, many untrained dumbasses will be on the streets with guns on their hips. As if the CHL training/testing wasn't low enough of a standard already. I actually like that the law only allows upstanding citizens who have passed a background check and have gone through a basic class to understand the penal code and demonstrate very basic proficiency before they can walk around with a gun.

View Quote

I think you'd be more comfortable in a country without the 2nd amendment.

Link Posted: 1/25/2015 1:14:37 PM EDT
[#33]
I hope it goes forward and eventually passes, but I ain't counting on it.

The problem I have with licenses and permits is this: You have a bunch of nitwit bureaucrats, clerks and other ignorant functionaries who are in charge of drafting, applying and enforcing rules and regulations on shit they don't have the slightest iota of knowledge about.

None of the people we allow to decide the exercise of our rights have any idea what the hell they're talking about, so it's no surprise that nearly all the gun control and gun regulation laws we have in this country are stupid, impractical and unrealistic.

We already have enough laws on the books to pave a solid walkway from here to the edge of the universe. making MORE laws to supplement all those laws in order to create a need for more laws is getting out of hand.

Personally, I have never felt the need for a government flunky to watch over me and Monday morning quarterback every move I make 24/7, but then again, I'm not from around here, so I've had to grow accustomed to these new, progressive ways.

More government is never the answer, because we've seen how well they've handled healthcare.

Link Posted: 1/25/2015 1:15:03 PM EDT
[#34]
As much as I want it, we'll be beat by Kansas, I think.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 1:32:11 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 4:10:10 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Honestly, constitutional carry freaks me the f*ck out. If it passes, word gets out and next thing you know, many untrained dumbasses will be on the streets with guns on their hips. As if the CHL training/testing wasn't low enough of a standard already. I actually like that the law only allows upstanding citizens who have passed a background check and have gone through a basic class to understand the penal code and demonstrate very basic proficiency before they can walk around with a gun. Take away these requirements and complete idiots will walk into a gun store, buy a pistol, load it up, strap it on, and walk out, and go about their business until something stupid happens. I really don't want to cross paths with someone like that... They are a hazard to me, my family, and themselves. AND YOU. We should be encouraging a certain standard if we believe that an armed society is a polite society. We shouldn't be pushing an agenda that arms society without considering who we're arming. The wild west wasn't exactly a pretty scene.

And while we're on this topic of open carry... Is this really a legislative priority? I can't believe the amount of resources (time and money) that has gone into backing something so trivial. How about pro gun laws that actually could have an impact on people's safety? Like campus carry. Plenty of students, teachers, janitors, etc who spend a lot of time on a campus remain vulnerable in a gun free zone while the rest of us open carry where we could conceal carry anyway and be just as safe as before. Does this make any sense?

Those of you who support open carry: I challenge you to explain how open carry, whether licensed or not, makes you safer than concealed carry. My work required me to open carry and I actually feel way safer when I conceal carry. If your support for open carry has to do with comfort or convenience, maybe you should admit that campus carry is a more pressing issue.
View Quote

VERMONT HAS ALWAYS HAD constitutional carry  LOWEST MURDER RATE IN THE COUNTRY  !
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 1:47:19 AM EDT
[#37]
Have you written and called your Represntatives?

Todd Hunter is on board.

Call these guys and tell them to support it.

If we could all get just a few people to do this...it would make a huge difference.

Link Posted: 1/26/2015 11:51:16 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

Take a look at the states that already have constitutional carry and take a deep breath.  Your post mirrors the hand wringing prior to the Texas CHL law being passed. The whole blood-running-in-the-streets thing didn't happen then and wouldn't happen with constitutional carry either.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 1:21:32 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

VERMONT HAS ALWAYS HAD constitutional carry  LOWEST MURDER RATE IN THE COUNTRY  !
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Overall crime rate for Vermont is third.  North Dakota and New Hampshire beat it. My theory is that it's such a small state there isn't ROOM to commit crimes.  They cross over into neighboring states.   Vermont only has a population of 626K,  The Houston suburbs are more populated.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 3:55:39 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Overall crime rate for Vermont is third.  North Dakota and New Hampshire beat it. My theory is that it's such a small state there isn't ROOM to commit crimes.  They cross over into neighboring states.   Vermont only has a population of 626K,  The Houston suburbs are more populated.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What's your theory on ND?

Link Posted: 1/26/2015 4:32:03 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

to friggin cold to wait outside and bushwhack someone.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 6:28:05 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

hahahahahaha
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 6:54:57 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Vermont has less people than what live within a twenty minute drive of me.
I'm not sure constitutional carry is the reason it has the lowest murder rate in the country.

Heck, the safest city in America with a population of over 250,000 is right here in Plano, Texas. (and we don't have constitutional carry)

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:08:31 AM EDT
[#44]
I see "constitutional carry" as a way to keep the liberals at bay. If I were a looney lib from California I would NOT move to Texas knowing that people actually might have a gun near me.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:16:06 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I see "constitutional carry" as a way to keep the liberals at bay. If I were a looney lib from California I would NOT move to Texas knowing that people actually might have a gun near me.
View Quote

I like this line of thinking.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 3:27:47 PM EDT
[#46]
Today from KHOU:

AUSTIN, Texas (AP) - After pledging in his campaign to fight for open carry of handguns in Texas, Republican Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick now says it's not a priority and doesn't have the votes to pass.

The issue seemed to be gaining strong momentum for the 2015 session with support from Gov. Greg Abbott and top Republicans who swept into office in November.

But Patrick doused the hopes of gun rights advocates with his remarks Tuesday at a forum hosted by the Texas Tribune.

Patrick now says open carry "doesn't reach the level" of priority for the Republican-dominated Senate. Lawmakers have filed several bills on open carry, ranging from requiring a license to letting anyone carry a handgun in public.

Texas hasn't allowed open carry of handguns since immediately after the Civil War.

Thanks OCT, OCTC, et. al. Fuck all of you
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 3:38:46 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
As much as I want it, we'll be beat by Kansas, I think.
View Quote

Kansas has had open carry since June 1st, 2014.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 4:09:20 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Today from KHOU:

AUSTIN, Texas (AP) - After pledging in his campaign to fight for open carry of handguns in Texas, Republican Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick now says it's not a priority and doesn't have the votes to pass.

The issue seemed to be gaining strong momentum for the 2015 session with support from Gov. Greg Abbott and top Republicans who swept into office in November.

But Patrick doused the hopes of gun rights advocates with his remarks Tuesday at a forum hosted by the Texas Tribune.

Patrick now says open carry "doesn't reach the level" of priority for the Republican-dominated Senate. Lawmakers have filed several bills on open carry, ranging from requiring a license to letting anyone carry a handgun in public.

Texas hasn't allowed open carry of handguns since immediately after the Civil War.

View Quote

I have to second my esteemed colleague, RCK1999, in his sentiments regarding the OCT people. My what an awesome job they did. Perhaps they can now go back to working for Barbara Boxer and Dianne Feinstein and stop walking around in flip flops and a WASR10 with a canted front sight block. Thanks for nothing...
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 4:12:19 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I have to second my esteemed colleague, RCK1999, in his sentiments regarding the OCT people. My what an awesome job they did. Perhaps they can now go back to working for Barbara Boxer and Dianne Feinstein and stop walking around in flip flops and a WASR10 with a canted front sight block. Thanks for nothing...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Today from KHOU:

I started a thread in GD.  The OC tards are now saying the bill was defeated because  no one deserved it enough.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 4:13:00 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Today from KHOU:

I can see it now.............Kory Watkins and CJ Grisham running for Gov & LtGov in 2018 (as Democrats)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top