Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/20/2014 11:50:36 AM EDT
I am needed to get my SBR (still current sitting as an AR Pistol)  engraved.  

I know the go-to is Ident in Rockwall, but they won't answer my calls or respond to my voicemail.

Anyone know another place?  I just need "XX XXXXXXX Trust  Plano, TX"  engraved to 0.03 inches
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 12:25:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I am needed to get my SBR (still current sitting as an AR Pistol)  engraved.  

I know the go-to is Ident in Rockwall, but they won't answer my calls or respond to my voicemail.

Anyone know another place?  I just need "XX XXXXXXX Trust  Plano, TX"  engraved to 0.03 inches
View Quote

That's pretty crazy that you can't get a hold of them by phone, I was just there Thursday night for a walk in appointment. Maybe try them back Tuesday?  Woman has answered both times I've called on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

Buddy of mine had his done recently at Blue Ribbon Trophies in Plano (Independence and 15th). 15 bucks, laser, talk to Whitney. Ask her for a few extra passes just to make sure you hit .003.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 12:38:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Also an fyi in case somebody brings up leaving your gun for engraving with a non-FFL, I personally spoke with local ATF and they assured me that since you're just getting it engraved by a company/business, you are fine leaving it there (not changing the dynamics of the firearm as she put it).
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 1:48:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Also an fyi in case somebody brings up leaving your gun for engraving with a non-FFL, I personally spoke with local ATF and they assured me that since you're just getting it engraved by a company/business, you are fine leaving it there (not changing the dynamics of the firearm as she put it).
View Quote

That is very bad advice....even if it came from local ATF.
You should call back and ask if she's read this ATF ruling from 2009:https://www.atf.gov/files/regulations-rulings/rulings/atf-rulings/atf-ruling-2009-1.pdf
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 2:08:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeah that's where I was confused as well, seen plenty of people say they had to be a dealer.

Without putting our own interpretation on it, definitely reads that they should be licensed. But as an interpretation,  would it mean their primary business is in engraving firearms? Also since the engraving definition does not state 'marking' for serial/name/city, only decorative.  Maybe I'll give her a call back Monday, get clarification (and/or something in writing).
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 5:00:10 PM EDT
[#5]
I am wanting to wait on it, even if that means scheduling an appointment and coming in a week or two down the road.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 5:03:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I am wanting to wait on it, even if that means scheduling an appointment and coming in a week or two down the road.
View Quote

Give Whitney a call, see if she'll schedule something. Otherwise, try Ident again on Tuesday. They do appointments Tuesdays and Thursdays,  5 to 830, 60 bucks cash, takes about 10 minutes.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 5:26:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Give Whitney a call, see if she'll schedule something. Otherwise, try Ident again on Tuesday. They do appointments Tuesdays and Thursdays,  5 to 830, 60 bucks cash, takes about 10 minutes.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Would love to do that.  I've called on three days this past week, leaving one VM.  Each time nobody answered.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 10:35:47 PM EDT
[#8]
I've used this guy in McKinney several times for other things.  He's a little weird in an artsy kind of way but his work is good.  http://kenbrowncalligraphy.com
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 11:33:39 PM EDT
[#9]
www.customlaserengravers.com/

Her name is Stephanie

got mine done here, she has done engraving for AFT and DHS.

quick turn around, very professional job, about 100$

I will use her again for my next engraving

Dallas industrial and commerce area
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 2:19:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Call Ident again.  You want them to do it.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 2:30:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Here's mine I just had done Thursday night.  Left side, above trigger/hammer pins.  Ridiculously small and crisp lettering.

If you're getting it done left or right side of the receiver, you don't have to remove anything either.  Leave the stock, grip, trigger, etc, no problemo.

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 3:45:30 PM EDT
[#12]
I used Ident for my first SBR, checked prices online and called to setup the walk-in appt.

The guy who was there did it quickly and cleanly, but then told me it was $60 instead of the $45 they quoted. Kinda soured me from using them since then.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 3:54:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I used Ident for my first SBR, checked prices online and called to setup the walk-in appt.

The guy who was there did it quickly and cleanly, but then told me it was $60 instead of the $45 they quoted. Kinda soured me from using them since then.
View Quote

Hopefully just a miscommunication. 45 is the price if you send it in, but there's a 2-3 week lead time. 60 is the walk in price to skip the line.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 5:47:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Ok, I'll give IDENT one more chance tomorrow.  If not I'll call the few that people suggested in here.  Worst case, White Wing Weaponry in Denton said they can do it in the next few weeks.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 10:55:32 PM EDT
[#15]
I used Gray Laser Engraving in San Antonio.

$85.00 total including shipping and I had it back in 3 days.

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 2:40:08 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Worst case, White Wing Weaponry in Denton said they can do it in the next few weeks.
View Quote

Why worst case?  I'm fairly close to them, so this interests me since I'm waiting on a stamp.  Do they do engraving?  Never been there.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 7:09:15 AM EDT
[#17]
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_17/435712_The_best_engraving.html
You cant beat this.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 12:40:08 PM EDT
[#18]
I need to get a few lowers engraved myself. I am about 10 minutes away from Blue Ribbon so I may give them a try.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 1:37:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Here's mine I just had done Thursday night.  Left side, above trigger/hammer pins.  Ridiculously small and crisp lettering.

If you're getting it done left or right side of the receiver, you don't have to remove anything either.  Leave the stock, grip, trigger, etc, no problemo.
View Quote

Looks just like the one I had done... I had a stripped lower done under the trigger guard as well, same quality.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 4:35:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

BigDozer66
View Quote

I have used Ident and Gray. I prefer Gray despite Ident being within driving distance for me. Better customer service, same result.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 7:53:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Just wanted to update.  I was contacted by Randy with Ident.  Apparently the typical person that answers the phone was out sick, coupled with a busy Christmas season ( which is understandable). He was gracious enough to get me an appointment.  I will post more after tomorrow's appointment.

Link Posted: 12/23/2014 10:08:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Last update.  Thanks for all of the suggestions.  I was able to get up to Ident Marking today.  Lower looks great.  I'm happy with the quality of their work!

Thanks Randy and the others!
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 11:37:59 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

BigDozer66
View Quote

Thanks!!!! 45 minute drive for me.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 5:05:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Last update.  Thanks for all of the suggestions.  I was able to get up to Ident Marking today.  Lower looks great.  I'm happy with the quality of their work!

View Quote

How long did it take from when you got there to when you walked out? Did you just wait while they did it?
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 5:15:21 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

How long did it take from when you got there to when you walked out? Did you just wait while they did it?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you setup the appointment it's a while you wait... took them ~30 minutes to do two lowers for me.

I browsed the forum on my phone.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 8:55:25 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

20 minutes at most. Yes. They did great work.  I'll keep coming back.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top