Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/21/2014 2:04:09 AM EDT
Talked to a guy who was overwhelmed by choices in 30-06 cartridges.  He asked me for help.  There were about 8 verities for his 30-06.

I told him 150 grains is the most common in retail bullets and good middle of the road for the 30-06 and the heaver bullets weren't going to benefit him much on deer.

He asked if he could use some 30-30 ammo he had in the same rifle. I told him once but he'd destroy his rifle and bleed more than the deer.

I said normally folks get two or three loads and see what one the gun favors.  He seemed to be going to Remington because "The gun is Remington, I should buy Remington right?"

I said it wasn't a bad choice.

Gave him some advice to double check and tighten down his scope and mount and at least get  a couple of rounds off to sight it in.  

I don't think he will though.

Got the 7mm 08 I was looking for and got out of there.

Link Posted: 11/21/2014 2:31:55 AM EDT
[#1]
I hope derp learns soon.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 9:44:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Why do you need so much ammo?

p
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 10:17:37 AM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Why do you need so much ammo?

p
View Quote
New rifle for this season.  Sighted it in and ran some tests to see what it liked best.  During the process I got low on the type it likes.  I had a bit of a hunt in this area trying to find the same brand\load it likes again.  This is the start of my ammo fort.

Link Posted: 11/21/2014 4:53:43 PM EDT
[#4]
I hope he ignores your advice to sight in. Not someone I want anywhere near the same range as me.

A guy who worked at Academy told me about a lady who wanted to buy 25 auto ammo for her 32. She wanted less recoil.
Another guy came in and wanted 6 rounds of .357. No need for a whole box, just 6.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 5:26:02 PM EDT
[#5]
I had a friend ,who worked at a gun shop/ range in Fort Worth ,tell me a guy came in right before closing one night and asked to buy 1 round. His reply was GTFO.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 5:33:52 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I hope he ignores your advice to sight in. Not someone I want anywhere near the same range as me.

A guy who worked at Academy told me about a lady who wanted to buy 25 auto ammo for her 32. She wanted less recoil.

Another guy came in and wanted 6 rounds of .357. No need for a whole box, just 6.
View Quote

His revolver only holds 6 rounds, why pay for more?

Link Posted: 11/21/2014 5:50:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or like the banger at the indoor gun range who wanted to rent a Glock to take out of the store with him...
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 7:49:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Some of you act like people who have not been trained or are uneducated have some disease.   The more they know, the more of an ally they are.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 8:18:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Some of you act like people who have not been trained or are uneducated have some disease.   The more they know, the more of an ally they are.
View Quote

Granted, one is not born with the knowledge that ammo is specific to guns and is sold by the box. I failed to mention that in the stories related to me, the potential purchasers were resistant to the facts. Willful ignorance is a disease. It does more harm in the world than actual malice - see Obama voters.  
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 11:55:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

I couldn't agree more.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 12:15:25 PM EDT
[#11]
When I was in junior high and freshman year of high school I worked at Tom Thumb bagging groceries/stocking/whatever. It was not uncommon for people wanting to only buy one egg, take a single can of coke out of a 12 pack, one stick of butter out of a box or cakes by the slice. Very common. They would get mad if you did not offer them what they wanted. Had people who only wanted the Sports page of the newspaper and only wanted to pay for that small section.

So,,,single rounds of ammo or just enough to fill a revolver makes perfect sense. Many people are not only ignorant but very stupid. They are all around you. Everywhere.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 4:07:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
So,,,single rounds of ammo or just enough to fill a revolver makes perfect sense. Many people are not only ignorant but very stupid. They are all around you. Everywhere.
View Quote

Very true, and to go along with the Obama comment I must add Nancy Pelosi, Harry Reed, Al Franken, Maxine Waters....oh forget it I could just go on and on.

V
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 4:25:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
When I was in junior high and freshman year of high school I worked at Tom Thumb bagging groceries/stocking/whatever. It was not uncommon for people wanting to only buy one egg, take a single can of coke out of a 12 pack, one stick of butter out of a box or cakes by the slice. Very common. They would get mad if you did not offer them what they wanted. Had people who only wanted the Sports page of the newspaper and only wanted to pay for that small section.

View Quote

When I was a young kid we had to really scrimp and save for .22lr ammo for our rifles. The hardware store in town and the owner would sell ammo in 5 round packs in rifle ammo during hunting season. We could buy .22 for three cents each from him.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top