Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/16/2014 9:44:19 AM EDT
a few guys told me to try the place out so I did.

I went there a with a few cans, so when I signed in and paid I showed the guy there my Nfa stamps on my phone. He said I needed to talk to the range satay.

So I find him and ask. Now I will admit that I am not an expert in Texas law but the range safety guy said that not only Will they not except my NFA stamps/paperwork on my phone are not good but a cop could arrest me for not having my paper forms on me.

I didn't want to get in a fight with them but right there in their rules what arewhat they are. But he said he would call the owner and owner never picked up the phone so they let me shoot and said not come back to work and then will just photocopy it for future visits. I said sure and left. But I'm sure as hell not gonna let them photocopy my NFA paperwork. Is there any Texas law that says I need actual physical copies of my stamps or will my digital copies be sufficient?

Link Posted: 10/16/2014 4:17:16 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't know where this place is, but that sounds like a reason I might not go there.  No laws that I am familiar with outside the federal ones.

ETA - there are recent hunting rules ALLOWING suppressors for the taking of game, I neglected to reference those.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 4:56:50 PM EDT
[#2]
What is the difference between a digital or paper copy?  Neither are originals but should show reason to justify defense to prosecution, correct?  I'm no expert but we're living in a new digital world that old laws are playing catchup to (proof of auto insurance for example).

I currently have miniaturized copies in my wallet but have rarely been asked for them so I could probably also be out of compliance.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 5:03:10 PM EDT
[#3]
There is no law in Texas that requires you to carry and proof of NFA registeration....digital, paper copies, or originals.

That said, the way the State statues are written here, NFA firearms are illegal in Texas....but it is a Defense to Prosecution if they are properly registered with the Feds.

Ultimately, this leaves you with the responsibility to "convince" whatever local LE whose attention you may have garnered,  that the items in your possession are properly registered.  If you are unable to convince that officer that arresting you is a complete waste of his/her time than you are at risk of being arrested and your guns seized until a time that it can be determined that you are in compliance with State law.

So, while not a legal requirement to do so...it is highly advisable in Texas to maintain a copy of your paperwork with you  so that you can easily show local LE that everything is legit and he doesnt need to arrest you and then sort it out later.

As to your phone vs. originals, vs. paper copies, this is my take.   I think having digital copies is a great idea  (I keep digital copies as well as paper copies).  That said I think you are asking for more potential trouble and hassle only having copies on your phone as society at large (and especially across the older demographic spectrum) still like documents to be printed out.

Phone only copies could also present additional issues.

1.  Phones are unreliable.  Battery could be dead, if they are on a cloud account and your signal goes down you may not be able to get to them.
2.  I could see many older generation folks wanting to see something paper.   Somebody whipping out a smartphone and appearing to quickly download an image, that they may not know if you just downloaded that image off of google or your cloud account.   At a personal level of course I understand that paper docs can easily be faked just as easy as digital ones, but having "your papers in order" in a nice binder, shows you at least went to the trouble to be upfront proactively until we reach the day where digital "paperwork" is much more commonly accepted.
3. Some older LE or range staff may not even be able to read your F1/4 on a 2" x 3" sized phone screen or want to bother trying to zoom in on a device they may not know how to work and scroll up/down left/right.

Personally I dont carry my originals.  I carry color copies (stamped copy) in a binder.  I have digital copies but dont keep them on my phone, but shoudl probably consider loading them as backup since I already have digital copies.

If somebody wanted to make copies of my paperwork, I would find a new range.

Ultimately, it is up to each individual what their tolerance for risk is vs. what they personally find acceptable from an effort standpoint.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 5:18:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Web site says they just got their Class III license, so it seems they do not know much about NFA process.

Avoid.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 5:47:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Why were they even asking for the paperwork to start with?
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 6:28:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Like it or not it is a pretty common practice for ranges to want to see NFA paperwork.  I would say probably the majority of public ranges out there want to see paperwork.  

I beleive some range owners are just nosey, some beleive that NFA firearms are still some exotic evil death ray without paperwork, others beleive it is their business to be the police.

Some may have more practical reasons as ultimately there are other do-gooder range patrons that feel it is their moral obligation to tell the owner about the guy with the evil silencer in the bay next to him. Seeing paperwork ahead of time allows the owner to confirm back to all the other junior barney-fife's out there on the line that everything is legit and they have seen the owners paperwork.  

Others may have some sort of requirement by their insurance company that all firearms on their property "are legal" and with obvious NFA guns they have to inspect paperwork to maintain coverage should an accident occur with with an unregistered NFA firearm and the insurance company or other plaintiff's try to use an unregistered SBR as a wedge in a future lawsuit and/or to deny claimiant coverage.

Ultimately I see it as their property, their rules.  I dont have an issue is somebody wants to check to make sure everything is on the up and up.  However, I will be leaving if you want to make copies of my paperwork with my personal information on it to store indefinately in a rusty old filing cabinet at your range.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 8:04:14 PM EDT
[#7]
So I have never been asked and I have never offered.  But I see your point.  I would also show my paperwork but copies and finger banging my stuff would be off limits.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 8:51:07 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

What is the difference between a digital or paper copy?  Neither are originals but should show reason to justify defense to prosecution, correct?  I'm no expert but we're living in a new digital world that old laws are playing catchup to (proof of auto insurance for example).

I currently have miniaturized copies in my wallet but have rarely been asked for them so I could probably also be out of compliance.
View Quote

That is my point, My old range in Fl just new me and everything was cool.

Quoted:

I don't know where this place is, but that sounds like a reason I might not go there. No laws that I am familiar with outside the federal ones.

ETA - there are recent hunting rules ALLOWING suppressors for the taking of game, I neglected to reference those.

That is what I thought
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 8:58:34 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

There is no law in Texas that requires you to carry and proof of NFA registeration....digital, paper copies, or originals.

That said, the way the State statues are written here, NFA firearms are illegal in Texas....but it is a Defense to Prosecution if they are properly registered with the Feds.

Ultimately, this leaves you with the responsibility to "convince" whatever local LE whose attention you may have garnered,  that the items in your possession are properly registered.  If you are unable to convince that officer that arresting you is a complete waste of his/her time than you are at risk of being arrested and your guns seized until a time that it can be determined that you are in compliance with State law.

So, while not a legal requirement to do so...it is highly advisable in Texas to maintain a copy of your paperwork with you  so that you can easily show local LE that everything is legit and he doesnt need to arrest you and then sort it out later.

As to your phone vs. originals, vs. paper copies, this is my take.   I think having digital copies is a great idea  (I keep digital copies as well as paper copies).  That said I think you are asking for more potential trouble and hassle only having copies on your phone as society at large (and especially across the older demographic spectrum) still like documents to be printed out.

Phone only copies could also present additional issues.

1.  Phones are unreliable.  Battery could be dead, if they are on a cloud account and your signal goes down you may not be able to get to them.

2.  I could see many older generation folks wanting to see something paper.   Somebody whipping out a smartphone and appearing to quickly download an image, that they may not know if you just downloaded that image off of google or your cloud account.   At a personal level of course I understand that paper docs can easily be faked just as easy as digital ones, but having "your papers in order" in a nice binder, shows you at least went to the trouble to be upfront proactively until we reach the day where digital "paperwork" is much more commonly accepted.

3. Some older LE or range staff may not even be able to read your F1/4 on a 2" x 3" sized phone screen or want to bother trying to zoom in on a device they may not know how to work and scroll up/down left/right.

Personally I dont carry my originals.  I carry color copies (stamped copy) in a binder.  I have digital copies but dont keep them on my phone, but shoudl probably consider loading them as backup since I already have digital copies.

If somebody wanted to make copies of my paperwork, I would find a new range.

Ultimately, it is up to each individual what their tolerance for risk is vs. what they personally find acceptable from an effort standpoint.
View Quote

Yes, I do not carry my originals ether. there is no point...

If I was home I would just roll with the phone. I think I start carrying paper copies again.

Quoted:

Web site says they just got their Class III license, so it seems they do not know much about NFA process.

Avoid.

Yes the clerk, nor the RO, nor the manger seemed to up to speed on NFA laws even though they are a NFA dealer now.

Link Posted: 10/16/2014 9:05:41 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

So I have never been asked and I have never offered.  But I see your point.  I would also show my paperwork but copies and finger banging my stuff would be off limits.
View Quote

I offered a mag to the RO, he said no.

But he was hovering over some of my guns and asking questions that were not too noob, I could tell he had some* knowledge.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 9:14:36 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Like it or not it is a pretty common practice for ranges to want to see NFA paperwork.  I would say probably the majority of public ranges out there want to see paperwork.  

I beleive some range owners are just nosey, some beleive that NFA firearms are still some exotic evil death ray without paperwork, others beleive it is their business to be the police.

Some may have more practical reasons as ultimately there are other do-gooder range patrons that feel it is their moral obligation to tell the owner about the guy with the evil silencer in the bay next to him. Seeing paperwork ahead of time allows the owner to confirm back to all the other junior barney-fife's out there on the line that everything is legit and they have seen the owners paperwork.  

Others may have some sort of requirement by their insurance company that all firearms on their property "are legal" and with obvious NFA guns they have to inspect paperwork to maintain coverage should an accident occur with with an unregistered NFA firearm and the insurance company or other plaintiff's try to use an unregistered SBR as a wedge in a future lawsuit and/or to deny claimiant coverage.

Ultimately I see it as their property, their rules.  I dont have an issue is somebody wants to check to make sure everything is on the up and up.  However, I will be leaving if you want to make copies of my paperwork with my personal information on it to store indefinately in a rusty old filing cabinet at your range.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

This.

Basically show the papers as a matter of business.

But they will NOT be getting a copy of any of my forms. EVER

Their Price is ok. The range is a little ummm hickish (not that is bad). They have steel to shoot which is cool.

I can pick up my brass. its not a bad range

Link Posted: 10/16/2014 9:37:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.  At Frisco Gun Club, we don't ask, at all.  If ATF comes in and wants to see paperwork, it is the owner's burden to produce the paperwork.  We stay out of it.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 9:49:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

This.

Their Price is ok. The range is a little ummm hickish (not that is bad). They have steel to shoot which is cool.

<a href="http://s893.photobucket.com/user/chas8008/media/image_zps55d7add8.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i893.photobucket.com/albums/ac133/chas8008/image_zps55d7add8.jpg</a>
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

<a href="http://s893.photobucket.com/user/chas8008/media/image_zps55d7add8.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i893.photobucket.com/albums/ac133/chas8008/image_zps55d7add8.jpg</a>

Wow nice stamp collection.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 10:02:51 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This.

lol yeah, I am popular.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 12:17:32 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

This.  At Frisco Gun Club, we don't ask, at all.  If ATF comes in and wants to see paperwork, it is the owner's burden to produce the paperwork.  We stay out of it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You guys have one of the finest ranges I've ever used.

On this topic, I've never been treated better than at the Frisco Gun Club.

Link Posted: 10/17/2014 12:31:50 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

This.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

Ho lee cow.  That's $7,200 in stamps alone!  I'd hate to ask what your collection is worth but I hope it's in a vault.  What is the one red stamp?
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 12:49:25 AM EDT
[#17]
I went to that range once before, didn't like it enough to go back.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 10:03:46 AM EDT
[#18]
Damn, thats a stamp collection dude. can I have your number?
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 10:26:13 AM EDT
[#19]
I carry a paper copy of my form 4 with my can. At the two ranges I shoot at, one has never asked to see it and the other simply asked if I had it with me.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 10:35:34 AM EDT
[#20]
Red is for an AOW $5 transfer
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 10:38:57 AM EDT
[#21]
Winchester, Alpine, Shoot Smart GP/FW have NEVER even hinted at asking if I had paperwork.

Guy at Shoot Smart even came and checked out the rifle becuase he liked it but never questioned the legality.

Link Posted: 10/17/2014 1:49:10 PM EDT
[#22]
I've been there. They asked to see my form, but didn't copy it.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 2:49:04 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

View Quote
Yes red is $5 AOW bc I needed one

And yes you can have my number, you have big boobs right??
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 3:27:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why did you make me think of Meatloaf...
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 6:00:56 PM EDT
[#25]
So went to a local range today that was new to me since I moved to Houston....Hot Wells.  I paid and then told the RO I wanted an area to myself since I had an SBR......no paperwork asked for.  What was funny was there were a few local LEOs in uniform there and they even walked up and said nice gun, and went back to their tables.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 7:42:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks!  We do try.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 7:43:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hey you got your quotes confused there.  But since you asked nicely....
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 11:38:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ever watch Fight Club?  If not, Google the Red Bolded Words..
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 3:47:24 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

Me neither, too expensive for me.

V
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 5:09:28 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

V

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

V

Where is a good range near by?
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 5:29:16 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

This.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

Is that sundae registered as a DD?
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 4:41:54 PM EDT
[#32]
I go to TSSR all the time. IMO, best all around range in Ft Hood area. Cheapest price, steel targets, pretty good facilities (Astros are nicer, but you cannot do any shoot and move there), and I can pick as much brass as I want.

I take suppressors and SBRs there all the time. Each RO is a little different. They'll all watch and see that I'm not being a retard, they let me do what I want.

The fat guy (not bearded SF guy) thinks he knows everything about guns ever because he *was* in a Ranger Bat. I had a UMP and MP5 (.45 and 9mm respectively) on the steel target range. Texas star, poppers, and dualing tree. The sign says "pistols only" and "NO magnum rounds", however, I used my M1 Brain Housing Group to infer that means pistol caliber rounds, so I was fine. The bearded SF guy asked what the "AR" was I had, I said a UMP 45, he was fine with it.

I go back the next week and the fat ranger bat guy stops me, pointing to the sign that says, "NO carbines." I said these are pistol calibers, shooting subsonic rounds through the can, they have less power than factory ammo by far. He said it didnt matter, no carbines period from the owner (owner is a CPT at Ft Huachuca). I said I had used these guns many times there before and it was not a problem. He stuck to his guns. Then I asked, "What if I take the stocks off so they arent in SBR form, but Pistol form?"

He said thats fine.

I say again, he said THAT WAS FINE.

I almost blew a gasket; I told him that makes no logical sense and he was no different than a gun grabbing democrat with that line of thought.

He went and got the manager, SF guy. Finally comes back 15 min later, inspects my guns, and says they're fine and will update the signage. The reason for the signs were mall ninja idiots go on the "pistol only" range with an AR or AK pistol and tear up the targets. I get that, I am all for not destroying their property.

The SF guy went on to say, bring your NFA paperwork to the range house and we will mark your membership card so that you do not have to bring paperwork out everytime. They gave me a new card that has "has multiple NFA tax stamps" written on the back. I know it's not the law that we HAVE to have our paperwork on hand, but to avoid future hastle and this is a nice range, I don't care. I spoke with the manager (SF guy) about the law and that it is not required for me to show anyone but ATF or IRS, he said he knew. The reason they ask is because the range in Gatesville got in hot water with ATF for allowing people to shoot with illegal MGs, cans, SBRs. I dont know the whole story, I think the range was making illegal stuff too, TSSR is just covering their own ass.

I drives me nuts when ROs think they know everything. Oh, and the fat guy said he had a full auto MAC, which boggled my mind. How the hell do you have a machinegun and not know NFA laws?
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:16:32 PM EDT
[#33]
I put laminated copies of all my stamps in my cars AND in my rifle cases/bags.  It's just too easy not to do so.  At very least, run off copies and shove them in your glove box(es).

It sounds to me like that range has a stupid policy based in ignorance, which means it's like almost every range I've ever been to in one way or another.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 8:47:32 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

I go to TSSR all the time. IMO, best all around range in Ft Hood area. Cheapest price, steel targets, pretty good facilities (Astros are nicer, but you cannot do any shoot and move there), and I can pick as much brass as I want.

I take suppressors and SBRs there all the time. Each RO is a little different. They'll all watch and see that I'm not being a retard, they let me do what I want.

The fat guy (not bearded SF guy) thinks he knows everything about guns ever because he *was* in a Ranger Bat. I had a UMP and MP5 (.45 and 9mm respectively) on the steel target range. Texas star, poppers, and dualing tree. The sign says "pistols only" and "NO magnum rounds", however, I used my M1 Brain Housing Group to infer that means pistol caliber rounds, so I was fine. The bearded SF guy asked what the "AR" was I had, I said a UMP 45, he was fine with it.

I go back the next week and the fat ranger bat guy stops me, pointing to the sign that says, "NO carbines." I said these are pistol calibers, shooting subsonic rounds through the can, they have less power than factory ammo by far. He said it didnt matter, no carbines period from the owner (owner is a CPT at Ft Huachuca). I said I had used these guns many times there before and it was not a problem. He stuck to his guns. Then I asked, "What if I take the stocks off so they arent in SBR form, but Pistol form?"

He said thats fine.

I say again, he said THAT WAS FINE.

I almost blew a gasket; I told him that makes no logical sense and he was no different than a gun grabbing democrat with that line of thought.

He went and got the manager, SF guy. Finally comes back 15 min later, inspects my guns, and says they're fine and will update the signage. The reason for the signs were mall ninja idiots go on the "pistol only" range with an AR or AK pistol and tear up the targets. I get that, I am all for not destroying their property.

The SF guy went on to say, bring your NFA paperwork to the range house and we will mark your membership card so that you do not have to bring paperwork out everytime. They gave me a new card that has "has multiple NFA tax stamps" written on the back. I know it's not the law that we HAVE to have our paperwork on hand, but to avoid future hastle and this is a nice range, I don't care. I spoke with the manager (SF guy) about the law and that it is not required for me to show anyone but ATF or IRS, he said he knew. The reason they ask is because the range in Gatesville got in hot water with ATF for allowing people to shoot with illegal MGs, cans, SBRs. I dont know the whole story, I think the range was making illegal stuff too, TSSR is just covering their own ass.

I drives me nuts when ROs think they know everything. Oh, and the fat guy said he had a full auto MAC, which boggled my mind. How the hell do you have a machinegun and not know NFA laws?
View Quote

Yup same Fat RO down to the letter.

Thought he knew it all NFA laws, infact he said Mac. he asked me why mine looked different then his

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 11:33:16 AM EDT
[#35]
Oh yeah, I forgot about this.

They said that I could come back and use my pistol caliber SBRs on the steel range during non busy times so less idiots see me and don't do "monkey see, monkey do." Like duirng a week day or early on Sunday morning.

I work 6-6 most every weekday, so that's out. Sunday mornings are sleep in time and/or work around my house as that is the only day I have free. Thus, Saturday is my range day. Plus, I want to go when there's lots of brass to scrounge, and I like showing off my toys. I let almost anyone shoot my SBRs and cans. That creats more NFA awareness and more NFA customers; be an NFA ambassador, not a dick head arrogant ass becuase you suffered through .gov paperwork.  

I make damn sure to tell anyone nearby that they are pistol caliber carbines and not rifle cal to not destroy the targetry.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 4:06:55 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

I've never been asked for paperwork on any range I've shot at and I've got a number of NFA weapons I shoot regularly.  I can also tell you that unless that range was world class, I wouldn't be shooting there again if they did ask.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top