Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/29/2014 3:11:01 PM EDT
Hi there. Does anyone know if you can legally shoot your archery bow (at a target using field points) in Collin county? There is some property near me that would be perfect for some 20 yard practicing. Not clear if it's city land or privately owned. Am trying to find out in case I need to contact the owner.

I have searched Allen city ordinances and come up empty. I looked at the Collin county sheriff's site but nothing there. I searched the Texas Penal code for definition of a weapon and don't see bow listed among the definitions (maybe "knife" is equivalent?).

Thanks all.

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 4:09:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Allen, as in probably most cities, there is a prohibition on using a bow and arrow in a city park...along with most other "projectile weapons" (slingshot, gun, airsoft).

City itself looks good though on private property, how big is your backyard
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 4:12:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the info.

I live in what I call "yuppie-ville"; my backyard is bigger than a dog house but smaller than an ice cream truck. Not close to 20 yards diagonally.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 5:35:22 PM EDT
[#3]
I have an acre and a half for a yard (sorry I live near Houston in unincorporated county area or you could come to my place) and pacing my front yard I can get a 60 yard shot with my bow.  I was out shooting yesterday for the first time in a couple of years.  50 yards I hit 5 of 6 shots and I had to get on my hands and knees to find the arrow that missed the target and burrowed under the grass.  I really need to remember to paint the practice arrows bright orange so that they are easier to find in the grass.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 6:56:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Hi there. Does anyone know if you can legally shoot your archery bow (at a target using field points) in Collin county? There is some property near me that would be perfect for some 20 yard practicing. Not clear if it's city land or privately owned. Am trying to find out in case I need to contact the owner.

I have searched Allen city ordinances and come up empty. I looked at the Collin county sheriff's site but nothing there. I searched the Texas Penal code for definition of a weapon and don't see bow listed among the definitions (maybe "knife" is equivalent?).

Thanks all.

View Quote

its in the code somewhere, its based on the population of the county and you're screwed unless you've 50 acres...

I have a place in Lamar county you'd be free to come use with advance notice bout 90 min from McKinney..
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 4:26:24 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm in Parker, just down the road.
I live on 2.5 acres and can shoot 60 yards easily.
You're welcome to come shoot at my place.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:25:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Thanks all.

View Quote

Go to Lucas on Snider Lane.  You can park your car at Highland Park.  It is closed now.  If you bring your bale and target, no one should bother you.
But I don't think guns are allowed on the land.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:44:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for the info.

I live in what I call "yuppie-ville"; my backyard is bigger than a dog house but smaller than an ice cream truck. Not close to 20 yards diagonally.
View Quote

Open up the backdoor to increase distance?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top