Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/28/2014 10:28:45 PM EDT
We traveled to Dallas this weekend and stayed at the Embassy Suites on Stemmons.   I am new to concealed carry so I still have a lot to learn and we don't travel all the time, so I was very surprised to see a 30.06 sign at each entrance.  So, I obviously cannot concealed carry on my person, but can I take my firearm up to my room in my luggage?  Is carrying a firearm in your luggage or even a gun case considered concealed carry?  I had never given this scenario a thought before.

Another confusing thing, there was another sign posted only at the front entrance on the sliding glass door. This sign said "The unlicensed possession of a weapon on these premises is a felony with a maximum penalty of 10 years imprisonment and a fine not to exceed $10,000."  What exactly is an unlicensed possession? The only license I know of is a concealed carry license, so all in all I  am very confused about what to do in this situation.  I feel uncomfortable leaving my firearm in the car, but I felt like I had no choice
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 11:18:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
We traveled to Dallas this weekend and stayed at the Embassy Suites on Stemmons.   I am new to concealed carry so I still have a lot to learn and we don't travel all the time, so I was very surprised to see a 30.06 sign at each entrance.  So, I obviously cannot concealed carry on my person, but can I take my firearm up to my room in my luggage?  Is carrying a firearm in your luggage or even a gun case considered concealed carry?  I had never given this scenario a thought before.

Another confusing thing, there was another sign posted only at the front entrance on the sliding glass door. This sign said "The unlicensed possession of a weapon on these premises is a felony with a maximum penalty of 10 years imprisonment and a fine not to exceed $10,000."  What exactly is an unlicensed possession? The only license I know of is a concealed carry license, so all in all I  am very confused about what to do in this situation.  I feel uncomfortable leaving my firearm in the car, but I felt like I had no choice
View Quote

Sorry your instructor did a poor job

Regarding the 30.06 sign, you do not need a CHL to carry your handgun to and from your vehicle and hotel room. Texas penal code 46.02 covers that.  You do need a CHL to carry that handgun around the hotel like to the restaurant, etc.  Be aware that a handgun in your luggage can be "about your person" and subject to 46.02 and 30.06.  So you can carry at your hotel to and from the car and room, but due to the 30.06 posting you may not carry just around inside.

Unlicensed possession is just that.  Possession without a license.  The sign you saw is required under the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Code at all locations licensed by the TABC that sell alcohol and are not 51% locations.    

Do not leave your handgun in the car.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 11:33:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Were you informed of their policy when you made the reservation?

SUBCHAPTER C. FIREARMS POLICY NOTICE

Sec. 2155.101. DEFINITION. In this subchapter, "hotel" has the meaning assigned by Section 156.001, Tax Code.

Added by Acts 2013, 83rd Leg., R.S., Ch. 237 (H.B. 333), Sec. 1, eff. September 1, 2013.

Sec. 2155.102. APPLICABILITY OF SUBCHAPTER. This subchapter applies only to a hotel that has a policy prohibiting or restricting the possession, storage, or transportation of firearms by hotel guests.

Added by Acts 2013, 83rd Leg., R.S., Ch. 237 (H.B. 333), Sec. 1, eff. September 1, 2013.

Sec. 2155.103. NOTICE REGARDING FIREARMS POLICY. (a) A hotel shall include on the hotel's Internet reservation website the hotel's policy regarding the possession, storage, and transportation of firearms.

(b) If a hotel provides a written confirmation or a written statement of terms and conditions to a consumer after accepting the consumer's hotel reservation by telephone, the hotel shall include information specifying how the consumer may review applicable guest policies. The guest policies must indicate the hotel's policy regarding the possession, storage, and transportation of firearms by guests.

(c) A hotel owner or keeper commits an offense if the person does not comply with this section. An offense under this subsection is a misdemeanor punishable by a fine of not more than $100.

http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/Docs/OC/htm/OC.2155.htm#C
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 11:35:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

SUBCHAPTER C. FIREARMS POLICY NOTICE

Sec. 2155.101. DEFINITION. In this subchapter, "hotel" has the meaning assigned by Section 156.001, Tax Code.

Sec. 2155.102. APPLICABILITY OF SUBCHAPTER. This subchapter applies only to a hotel that has a policy prohibiting or restricting the possession, storage, or transportation of firearms by hotel guests.

Sec. 2155.103. NOTICE REGARDING FIREARMS POLICY. (a) A hotel shall include on the hotel's Internet reservation website the hotel's policy regarding the possession, storage, and transportation of firearms.

(b) If a hotel provides a written confirmation or a written statement of terms and conditions to a consumer after accepting the consumer's hotel reservation by telephone, the hotel shall include information specifying how the consumer may review applicable guest policies. The guest policies must indicate the hotel's policy regarding the possession, storage, and transportation of firearms by guests.

(c) A hotel owner or keeper commits an offense if the person does not comply with this section. An offense under this subsection is a misdemeanor punishable by a fine of not more than $100.

http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/Docs/OC/htm/OC.2155.htm#C

You realize that none of that negates the criminal statutes, right?
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 7:19:15 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

View Quote

As was stated, they are required to tell you of their gun-free-zone and I believe this is important to know because I wouldn't have booked a room there myself, and I dont carry under a CHL.  I think they know they will lose business, and intentionally don't post it.

I refuse to stay in gun free zones.  
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 8:34:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
You realize that none of that negates the criminal statutes, right?
View Quote

Yes, I do realize that a hotel violating § 2155.103 of the Occupations Code doesn't allow the OP to violate § 30.06 of the Penal Code.  It does sound like the hotel was in violation though given the circumstances the OP described.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 8:48:44 AM EDT
[#6]
I believe the hotel the OP stayed at is in violation of § 2155.103 of the Occupations Code.  Here is a snippet from one of their San Antonio properties:

Firearms Policy

Carrying a weapon on these premises is prohibited and violators may be subject to arrest for trespass under applicable law.

http://embassysuites3.hilton.com/en/hotels/texas/embassy-suites-san-antonio-nw-i-10-SATBRES/about/policies.html
View Quote

The corresponding page for the hotel the OP stayed at is silent on the matter of firearms:

http://embassysuites3.hilton.com/en/hotels/texas/embassy-suites-dallas-market-center-DALFWES/about/policies.html

You might want to check the following web site when making reservations in the future OP:

http://www.texas3006.com
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:43:30 AM EDT
[#7]
I swear to god you need to be a lawyer to carry a gun in tx. what has this great state become...
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:53:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I swear to god you need to be a lawyer to carry a gun in tx. what has this great state become...
View Quote

Ain't that the truth.

Embassy suits is owned by Hilton which is a gun free zone.  I actually ask a lawyer, that specializes in gun laws and she indicated that if they give you the notice upon booking you cannot carry without violating Texas's fucked up gun laws.  A 30.06 sign is not required at this point because you were given notice.  This came from a lawyer, not somebody who enjoys giving out 10 cent legal advice on a forum that is not practicing law.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:05:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Ain't that the truth.

Embassy suits is owned by Hilton which is a gun free zone.  I actually ask a lawyer, that specializes in gun laws and she indicated that if they give you the notice upon booking you cannot carry without violating Texas's fucked up gun laws.  A 30.06 sign is not required at this point because you were given notice.  This came from a lawyer, not somebody who enjoys giving out 10 cent legal advice on a forum that is not practicing law.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ain't that the truth.

Well, you don't need a CHL to carry from your car to your room, per penal code 46.02.  This came from a lawyer who specializes in gun laws.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:50:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Well, you don't need a CHL to carry from your car to your room, per penal code 46.02.  This came from a lawyer who specializes in gun laws.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ain't that the truth.

Embassy suits is owned by Hilton which is a gun free zone.  I actually ask a lawyer, that specializes in gun laws and she indicated that if they give you the notice upon booking you cannot carry without violating Texas's fucked up gun laws.  A 30.06 sign is not required at this point because you were given notice. This came from a lawyer, not somebody who enjoys giving out 10 cent legal advice on a forum that is not practicing law.

This was a new piece of legislation from last year. It has nothing to do with 30.06, but rather notice of trespass. If you are notified and found NOT in compliance, you would be removed based on trespass. Trespass has always been there. What was new was the requirement to give notice at time of reservation. What REALLY sucks is if they give the notice AFTER you finalize the reservation and made your purchase non-refundable.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:06:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

Are you volunteering to be the test case (in a hotel with 30.06 signs posted)? You might beat the rap, but you probably wouldn't beat the ride.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:22:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Find a different hotel.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:30:06 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Are you volunteering to be the test case (in a hotel with 30.06 signs posted)? You might beat the rap, but you probably wouldn't beat the ride.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

One of his favorite phrases to use as he lets us all know how much more he knows and how little we know.  Made me laugh.  He is a seemingly book smart guy.  His delivery sucks 99.9% of the time.  We should all revere him for his knowledge.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 12:20:23 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

View Quote

But do you really want to be the one to test that? If you like to toy with your freedom, go ahead...

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 12:43:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

But do you really want to be the one to test that? If you like to toy with your freedom, go ahead...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So what are you going to do, leave the premises? Your options are limited:

1) Go to room with gun.
2) Leave premises.
3) Leave premises, get rid of gun, come back to hotel.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 12:57:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Actually with the new legislation passed last year that is now false.  If you have been given notice either by the website, phone, or in person you are now trespassing.  I asked this very question back in July and posted my findings including the lawyers comment.  Naturally you argued it.  I will stick with true legal advice versus your non professional opinion stated as legal fact.
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ain't that the truth.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 1:16:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Getting jiffy pop ready for standard dry legalese, I know more than you do response.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 1:17:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Regarding the 30.06 sign, you do not need a CHL to carry your handgun to and from your vehicle and hotel room. Texas penal code 46.02 covers that.  You do need a CHL to carry that handgun around the hotel like to the restaurant, etc.  Be aware that a handgun in your luggage can be "about your person" and subject to 46.02 and 30.06.  So you can carry at your hotel to and from the car and room, but due to the 30.06 posting you may not carry just around inside.

Unlicensed possession is just that.  Possession without a license.  The sign you saw is required under the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Code at all locations licensed by the TABC that sell alcohol and are not 51% locations.    

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 2:17:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In before the txinvestigator smackdown

Shit - for once I have to say he is right and I agree with him.

The theory is that once you are registered into a hotel room, it is essentially an extension of your home. 30.06 only applies to CHL and DOES NOT apply to your home.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 2:32:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Does anybody know of a case where a CHL has been arrested under this scenario?
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:26:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

This was a new piece of legislation from last year. It has nothing to do with 30.06, but rather notice of trespass. If you are notified and found NOT in compliance, you would be removed based on trespass. Trespass has always been there. What was new was the requirement to give notice at time of reservation. What REALLY sucks is if they give the notice AFTER you finalize the reservation and made your purchase non-refundable.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ain't that the truth.

Embassy suits is owned by Hilton which is a gun free zone.  I actually ask a lawyer, that specializes in gun laws and she indicated that if they give you the notice upon booking you cannot carry without violating Texas's fucked up gun laws.  A 30.06 sign is not required at this point because you were given notice. This came from a lawyer, not somebody who enjoys giving out 10 cent legal advice on a forum that is not practicing law.

That new piece of legislation has nothing to do with trespass.  It creates an offense for the hotel to ban firearms and not give proper notice.  ;)
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:29:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I HAVE carried to and from my car at a 30.06 hotel.  

Good grief,,y'all stop being skerred
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:31:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Actually with the new legislation passed last year that is now false.  If you have been given notice either by the website, phone, or in person you are now trespassing.  I asked this very question back in July and posted my findings including the lawyers comment.  Naturally you argued it.  I will stick with true legal advice versus your non professional opinion stated as legal fact.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ain't that the truth.

Once again, this new legislation did mot make ANY changes to the penal code, where the trespass law is.

My statement is accurate.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:32:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:32:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

This sign is quite common in Texas, especially Wal Mart and Gas Stations. Most states outlaw firearms, but as we know that allows punishment as a reactive measure, not prevention and crime reduction. Well, this sign covers the same intent. As TXI pointed out, in is LEGAL to carry a firearm to your room without a license. However, being that the rest of the hotel is private property, they require that sign to outlaw unlicensed carry. Otherwise, carry (if i am not mistaken) is otherwise dictated by private property owner. Thus, if you are a criminal trying to do harm or rob the hotel with a firearm, and you are not a resident, then they can fine you and imprison you as a reactionary measure, regardless of the robbery, murder, assault, etc.

Unlicensed carry simply means carrying without a license. Basically its illegal, but this sign adds punishment as a reactionary measure.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:40:31 PM EDT
[#26]
Hopefully this isn't too much of a thread hijack, but does anyone know the policy at Days Inn or ever see a 30.06 posted at one? I can't find any policy in my reservation, the website, or google. Found one days in (in a different state) that had it's own website that said "no firearms on properties owned by a specific franchisee", but that doesn't seem relevant.

I'm planning to spend 4 days in Houston being a tourist (my dad's flying down from Massachusetts to visit) and I'm planning to hit up Space Center Houston. My understanding was guns were a no-go (even in a vehicle parking lot) since that's federal property, which means I'd have to leave the gun in the hotel room (locked up in case the staff has sticky fingers of course).
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:09:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

I think the lawyer is technically correct.  But I don't expect Officer Friendly to see things that way if it somehow comes to the attention of the authorities that you're carrying a handgun in a 30.06 posted hotel.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 6:08:38 AM EDT
[#28]
No more Embassy Suites for me or Hilton's of any flavor.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 6:43:15 AM EDT
[#29]
Here's an idea: Put your handgun in your luggage, check in, go to your room, enjoy a night of unbridled passion with your wife, check out, leave. See how easy that was? It's not like they're going to rifle through your luggage at the door looking for a handgun.

Enough of this...

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 7:27:00 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I think the lawyer is technically correct.  But I don't expect Officer Friendly to see things that way if it somehow comes to the attention of the authorities that you're carrying a handgun in a 30.06 posted hotel.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

To and from your room.  

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 7:44:57 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

Well, carry laws have been fucked up in Texas as long as any of us have been alive. First it was illegal, then it was just absurdly complex.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 10:16:45 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

To and from your room.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

To and from your room.  

Suppose you actually need to *use* that handgun?  I guess you're hoping Officer Friendly will overlook those 30.06 signs?
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 12:06:27 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Suppose you actually need to *use* that handgun?  I guess you're hoping Officer Friendly will overlook those 30.06 signs?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

To and from your room.  

I've pondered this myself; Stay within the bounds of the law, but possibly be killed, or break the law and live. The latter just seems a bit more appealing to me.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 12:11:57 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
 I've pondered this myself; Stay within the bounds of the law, but possibly be killed, or break the law and live. The latter just seems a bit more appealing to me.
View Quote

Of course.  Then there's the option of staying within the bounds of the law and living.  That's why I avoid disarmed victim zones like the plague.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 1:31:20 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

To and from your room.  

If you get into a situation that requires you to use your handgun, a 30.06 sign is the least of your concerns.

A loved one is getting raped/robbed/ etc on nearby property that is 30.06, are you actually suggesting you would not enter the property armed to stop it?

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 1:38:36 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
If you get into a situation that requires you to use your handgun, a 30.06 sign is the least of your concerns.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I knew someone would come along to say that.  Didn't figure it would be you though.

Quoted:
A loved one is getting raped/robbed/ etc on nearby property that is 30.06, are you actually suggesting you would not enter the property armed to stop it?
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 3:45:12 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I knew someone would come along to say that.  Didn't figure it would be you though.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Well I did not expect you to bring up worrying what a cop would do in a SD situation in a 30.06 area.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 4:01:21 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Well I did not expect you to bring up worrying what a cop would do in a SD situation in a 30.06 area.
View Quote

To answer your original question, of course I would enter a posted property armed to stop a loved one from being raped / robbed / etc.  And I would use a "necessity" defense in the unlikely event I was charged for doing so.  But that isn't what we're discussing here.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 4:57:56 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

To answer your original question, of course I would enter a posted property armed to stop a loved one from being raped / robbed / etc.  And I would use a "necessity" defense in the unlikely event I was charged for doing so.  But that isn't what we're discussing here.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know you would. So would everyone else I know. That is why I did not understand the Officer Friendly comment.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top