Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/27/2014 9:07:06 PM EDT
Neighbor in unincorporated area does not like me shooting.  She got a little liquid courage and came  over and tried to drive her ATV up to our  shooting position but got hung up on the cattle guard side post.  Starts screaming profanity at myself and 14 yo nephew ( almost his first time to shoot).   I'm fairly miffed but cordial and try to get her to state her true problem but it's mostly drunk talk about scaring her horses and for us not to kill animals.  We pack up, sorry nephew maybe next time.

Fast forward to last night.  Move down the road 1/2 mile and we are making some noise.  Here she comes again, this time she was much worse.  She is the 100 pound bully, probably just a nuisance but none the less one that I don't want to have any contact with.

What can I do legally to put her on notice that she is not welcome on my property?
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 9:10:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Neighbor in unincorporated area does not like me shooting.  She got a little liquid courage and came  over and tried to drive her ATV up to our  shooting position but got hung up on the cattle guard side post.  Starts screaming profanity at myself and 14 yo nephew ( almost his first time to shoot).   I'm fairly miffed but cordial and try to get her to state her true problem but it's mostly drunk talk about scaring her horses and for us not to kill animals.  We pack up, sorry nephew maybe next time.

Fast forward to last night.  Move down the road 1/2 mile and we are making some noise.  Here she comes again, this time she was much worse.  She is the 100 pound bully, probably just a nuisance but none the less one that I don't want to have any contact with.

What can I do legally to put her on notice that she is not welcome on my property?
View Quote

First pee on her foot.
Then call the cops about a drunk on an ATV trespassing.

Link Posted: 9/27/2014 9:12:40 PM EDT
[#2]
"Get off my property."
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 9:16:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Make sure the no trespassing signs and purple paint are up. Record her every time you have contact with her and advise her to stay off your property. Look into buying a home camera setup. Contact local LE so they can issue her a criminal trespass warning, so when you record her trespassing again you can play the video for the officers and off to jail she goes.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 9:44:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Make sure the no trespassing signs and purple paint are up. Record her every time you have contact with her and advise her to stay off your property. Look into buying a home camera setup. Contact local LE so they can issue her a criminal trespass warning, so when you record her trespassing again you can play the video for the officers and off to jail she goes.
View Quote

All good...  they could probably get her for something like public intox or disorderly conduct if she is way out of control.  Not sure if there is a law against riding an ATV intoxicated or not...
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 9:59:47 PM EDT
[#5]
She had to drive the ATV on a county road to get to our gate so DUI would apply.  Last night she was in her Lexus.  Thanks for the suggestions.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 10:03:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Also make sure you are legally in the right about shooting on your property.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 10:25:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Also make sure you are legally in the right about shooting on your property.
View Quote

Was going to say this.  How big is your property and how far away were you from your property line?
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 10:37:17 PM EDT
[#8]
No trespass order drawn up by a lawyer and delivered by certified mail.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 11:40:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Parcels are 40 -acres, 750 feet wide.  Set up a 100 yard range at the front of the property shooting away from her house.  Her house is about 300 yards from my shooting position.  Second property is much larger and down the road.  All outside the city limit so 10 and 50 acre rules don't apply.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 11:41:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Swing by the sheriff's office and get a criminal trespass warning, fill it out and send it certified mail.

Once you have the tracking number on the form, take a copy back to the sheriff's office and county attorney's office.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 11:47:15 PM EDT
[#11]
When is the arfcom MG shoot?

Edit to add something actually worthwhile:  What everyone has said has been spot on. Photograph and document everything you can for when she decides to go full retard.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 12:12:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

All good...  they could probably get her for something like public intox or disorderly conduct if she is way out of control.  Not sure if there is a law against riding an ATV intoxicated or not...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes there, it is a motor vechile, watching cops one time and they busted a guy fr DUI on a riding lawn mower.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 7:01:15 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Still a DWI. intoxicated+motor vehicle+public place.
next time she comes on your property, call the cops. even if she leaves, you and the cops can go to her house and issue a criminal trespass warning. then next time she comes out she goes to jail.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 7:05:04 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

View Quote

Contact the PD or Sheriff in your area.  Have her issued a WRITTEN notice of criminal tresspass.  Further violations are a class A misdemeanor.  

The DWI will be handled based on where it occurs.  Your back field with the cows, will not be a public place.  The front, maybe.  Depends on how it's set up.

Link Posted: 9/28/2014 7:14:57 AM EDT
[#15]
While I am fickle about allowing a cranky and drunk neighbor dictate what I do on my own land, the thread that comes to mind is: http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1223033_.html

Now  while Kerry's neighbor isn't your typical neighbor, dealing with a drunk person might warrant a more modest approach than what we might normally do.  Only you can determine what approach you want to take, keep in mind that you both have to live there.  

Maybe she would like a heads up when you get out to shoot?  If that would calm her nerves, I might consider it.  You can catch more flies with honey than vinegar...

I suppose if worse came to worst, document (the best you can) her vulgar and drunken tantrums, call your local Sheriff's office and have them issue her a criminal trespass warning.  This method, IMO, would escalate this situation, the opposite of what you are trying to accomplish.  After reading Kerry's thread and hearing crazy neighbor stories, I would at least consider a more friendly approach.  YMMV

Good luck.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 9:02:36 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

While I am fickle about allowing a cranky and drunk neighbor dictate what I do on my own land, the thread that comes to mind is: http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1223033_.html

Now  while Kerry's neighbor isn't your typical neighbor, dealing with a drunk person might warrant a more modest approach than what we might normally do.  Only you can determine what approach you want to take, keep in mind that you both have to live there.  

Maybe she would like a heads up when you get out to shoot?  If that would calm her nerves, I might consider it.  You can catch more flies with honey than vinegar...

I suppose if worse came to worst, document (the best you can) her vulgar and drunken tantrums, call your local Sheriff's office and have them issue her a criminal trespass warning.  This method, IMO, would escalate this situation, the opposite of what you are trying to accomplish.  After reading Kerry's thread and hearing crazy neighbor stories, I would at least consider a more friendly approach.  YMMV

Good luck.
View Quote

While I Agree with your premise pretty much completely, you can't reason with an intoxicated individual in most cases. Specifically ones that are described by the OP.

Most likely, the OP will have to do what you are suggesting when the other person is not drunk,  which may be hard.  The good thing is, the state does not see INTOXICATION as a defense to criminal trespass, so the written notice will still be valid even if it's served when the other person is drunk.

Link Posted: 9/28/2014 9:39:43 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Swing by the sheriff's office and get a criminal trespass warning, fill it out and send it certified mail.

Waste of time and money. If she never signs for the certified letter, you have proof she never got it. Then what?

Here is what. Signs and purple paint. If seen on property call cops and have her charged under 30.05.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 10:11:49 AM EDT
[#18]
Do what everyone else is doing these days.  Video your interactions with her.  When the video starts, state the date and time.  It's pretty hard to refute.  Half a dozen videos of her ranting while staggering around is the kind of evidence lawyers get a woody over.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 10:33:29 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Video your interactions with her.  When the video starts, state the date and time.  It's pretty hard to refute.  Half a dozen videos of her ranting while staggering around is the kind of evidence lawyers get a woody over.
View Quote

This, again.

Say nothing to her besides get off my property, you're not allowed here type stuff. As much as you want to, do not curse or threaten her. As others have mentioned make sure your shooting range is up to snuff.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 11:40:53 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Contact the PD or Sheriff in your area.  Have her issued a WRITTEN notice of criminal tresspass.  Further violations are a class A misdemeanor.  

The DWI will be handled based on where it occurs.  Your back field with the cows, will not be a public place.  The front, maybe.  Depends on how it's set up.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is what I came to write.......................
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 11:52:16 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yea me to. Didn't read the whole thread.
Posting anyway, I already typed it out.

Call the sheriffs dept. when she comes over next.
explain to deputy that you don't want her on your place.

He should issue a Criminal Trespass warning to her and if she returns
she'll be arrested for the charge.

You can also go the court route but that's money out of your pocket.
I'd let your tax dollars do the work as much as possible.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 12:46:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Dig 2 holes.  One about the size of a 100lb staggering drunk.  The second the size of an ATV with rider.

Sheriff imposed no trespassing order?
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 12:49:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Have your sammich maker open a can of whoop ass...
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 1:16:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Is a fence possible?
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 1:19:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Waste of time and money. If she never signs for the certified letter, you have proof she never got it. Then what?

Here is what. Signs and purple paint. If seen on property call cops and have her charged under 30.05.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

For the purposes of a criminal trespass warning, as long as you have the tracking number on the form, we can enforce it.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 1:27:19 PM EDT
[#26]
It might be worth your while to try to meet some other neighbors and gather a little intelligence on her.

A friendly call to Sheriff asking for a Deputy to stop by and discuss it with him would also be a good idea.

Where I live in rural NTX Saturday and Sunday afternoons are usually punctuated with lots of bang, bang, bang and occasionally ratta-tat-tat

When I used to have big boy's gun day on Wednesdays with full-auto I would give Sheriff a courtesy call just to keep them from having to come out unless they wanted to play too.

What county are you in?
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 6:34:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
For the purposes of a criminal trespass warning, as long as you have the tracking number on the form, we can enforce it.
View Quote

Is that Case Law? Nowhere in PC30.05 does it mentioned anything about tracking numbers and undelivered certified mail.

And does not enforcing it require her to be on the land in question? So you can enforce it anyway via signs or purple paint as they meet the letter of the law. This is not a Wal-Mart where 99% of the folks are welcome and you are trying to keep out one person.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 9:33:39 PM EDT
[#28]
[ trolling]Shoot her? Castle law and all that? [ /trolling]
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 10:20:06 PM EDT
[#29]
Thanks to all for posting.

I spoke with one other neighbor that also shoots and also recently had the pleasure of a visit from her.  He feels like we should be neighborly and not involve the law at this point so I will make sure I have a video device with me when I go out to shoot.  I will also give her a phone call heads up before I shoot but that feels so wrong to me, like I'm feeding the beast.  My neighbor said no phone calls going out from him, but he is 1/2 mile away.

Answers to previous questions:

We do have a fence but a cattle guard allows crazy ladies who are not too drunk to navigate the opening  access to the pasture.  

ARFCOM MG shoot at a later date, I need to build a bigger backstop first.

Also, Denton county.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 10:36:26 PM EDT
[#30]
seems almost identical to the liberty hillbillies story a few years back:

worth a read

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_8_8/312729_.html

she ended up making up all kinds of stories, that they were cooking meth, rounds were hitting her house etc...
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 11:12:20 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Is that Case Law? Nowhere in PC30.05 does it mentioned anything about tracking numbers and undelivered certified mail.

And does not enforcing it require her to be on the land in question? So you can enforce it anyway via signs or purple paint as they meet the letter of the law. This is not a Wal-Mart where 99% of the folks are welcome and you are trying to keep out one person.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Have a lot of experience enforcing criminal trespass?

I do.

Purple paint and signs aren't going to mean shit to the county attorney.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 11:27:04 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I do.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I do.

Do you realize that purple paint and signs are specifically addressed in the criminal trespass law?  Do you realize that letters with no proof of receipt are not mentioned in the law?

And since you think experience overrules the ability to read, I have about 3 decades of experience enforcing criminal trespass.  Unless you can provide evidence that a tracking number on a letter equals proof of effective notice, I have to say you are mistaken.  
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 11:35:42 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Certified mail works for our court.  Providing it was delivered to the recipient.  

Link Posted: 9/28/2014 11:37:26 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Certified mail works for our court.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Certified mail works for our court.  

Yep, but you gotta have a signature, right?
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 11:38:44 PM EDT
[#35]
I added that part just now ;D
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 12:57:01 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Do you realize that purple paint and signs are specifically addressed in the criminal trespass law?  Do you realize that letters with no proof of receipt are not mentioned in the law?

And since you think experience overrules the ability to read, I have about 3 decades of experience enforcing criminal trespass.  Unless you can provide evidence that a tracking number on a letter equals proof of effective notice, I have to say you are mistaken.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I do.

Christ.

Yes I'm very well aware of what the law says. Good luck trying to get the county attorney to take it without a completed criminal trespass form on file unless the neighbor is asked to leave in front of the deputy and the neighbor refuses.

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 1:00:22 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

I do.

View Quote

Which fucked up county is that where the law doesn't mean shit to the county attorney? I'd like to know where not to live.

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 5:25:07 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I do.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I do.

This. Our DA has dropped charges on good arrests, simply because they werent issued a CT warning first. Had a guy literally run over the no trespassing sign on his 4 wheeler and he was caught inside the property and arrested. Case was dropped.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 5:26:34 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Which fucked up county is that where the law doesn't mean shit to the county attorney? I'd like to know where not to live.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I do.

Tarrant and Dallas I know for sure. Im sure there are many others
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 12:10:39 PM EDT
[#40]
You obviously don't have enough people shooting on your property.

Good answers in this post. Next time she comes over, call Sheriff and have them issue a Criminal Trespass Warning to her. If she isn't there when the Deputy arrives they should go and issue it to her at her home. Have a picture or video of her being there and you telling her to leave, always helps, DA's love video.

Make sure you ask how long the warning is good for. Some DA's only recognize them for a limited time period. I know this sounds stupid but its true.  

I hate drunks, but I hate nosy belligerent drunks even more.

MPD165
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 12:25:27 PM EDT
[#41]
I have a belligerent horse's ass of a neighbor, and the best advice I got from the Sheriff's deputy who I last talked to about this guy was to not talk to them at all.  I just ignore the guy.  He says something, it's like there is no noise at all.  I don't look at him, nothing.  Remember, it takes 2 to start something.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 1:38:11 PM EDT
[#42]
A single warning shot
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 2:51:46 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

A single warning shot
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 2:52:45 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
A single warning shot

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 3:04:33 PM EDT
[#45]
Get out and don't come back. Record it on an iPhone. Call popo second time and try to get them to issue a criminal trespass notice. 3rd time she's arrestable.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 3:34:42 PM EDT
[#46]
Hell, just block the cattle guard with your truck, and blast away.
Then, she would have to stagger her drunk ass out to you,and start filming her when she does.
I can't stand drunk,loud bitches.Which brings up why i am now single.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 4:51:22 PM EDT
[#47]
Spike strips work on undesirables.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 4:55:40 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I have a belligerent horse's ass of a neighbor, and the best advice I got from the Sheriff's deputy who I last talked to about this guy was to not talk to them at all.  I just ignore the guy.  He says something, it's like there is no noise at all.  I don't look at him, nothing.  Remember, it takes 2 to start something.
View Quote

That is great as long as your situation isn't like the OP's where the @$$#013 neighbor tresspasses and gets right in this face.  It is hard to ignore then, and not something that a landowner should have to put up with on their own property when they are doing nothing illegal.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 5:18:44 PM EDT
[#49]
Add a locking chain across the cattle guard, absolutely no question she will be trespassing.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 5:58:41 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

A single warning shot

So your going to risk a DEADLY CONDUCT felony charge for a drunk walking in your lawn?

Do you think you can shoot a trespasser standing in your yard?

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top