Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/19/2014 9:35:42 PM EDT
Had serious thoughts about this...............35 years ago.

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/trainingacademy/recruiting/trooperrecmovie.htm

They had a height/weight requirement back then.  Didn't fit the profile.  
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 10:08:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Typical recruiting video.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 10:09:33 PM EDT
[#2]
I didn't see the part about road side pap smears or whining about waffle house on social media.

OR the part about how to leave your duty weapon in a store bathroom.

ETA:  My car has Oklahoma plates, just sayin (peep)
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 6:04:36 PM EDT
[#3]
You have to trade your soul for that little round badge.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 8:10:46 PM EDT
[#4]
If you have to trade your soul for the badge, what do you have to trade to become a Ranger ?
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 12:04:20 AM EDT
[#5]
You have to learn to be human again.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 6:19:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Care to elaborate?

Genuinely curious as a friend of mine is in the current academy class.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 6:19:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Glorified traffic cop. A friend has been doing it 17 years, doesn't know his schedule one week from the next, one week TDY to the border every month, just found out that they are going to mandatory 50hr weeks. Feels like her lives in his uniform now.  At least they are paying overtime now instead of just comp time. Their schedule is worse that what my brother works as an operator in a refinery.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 6:36:20 PM EDT
[#8]
There is no way in HELL I would want to be a Trooper with their work schedule......  In my AO there is enough troops they could work 12's and have more days off a month VS their current cluster schedule which seems like they work 25 days a month with 5 off

I hear some of the guys saying they love their 8's as it gives them more time "off"
Before and after work...  Ya, that goes out the window when their on nights especially.... Come in work at 8pm, and get off at 2-4am... Don't know how many times I've come in to work at 5am and a trooper has been out for 14hrs... NO THANK YOU
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 10:26:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Care to elaborate?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Care to elaborate?

First off....all the troopers I know are great guys for the most part. My comment above was geared towards the fact that DPS breaks them down in the academy and then brings them WAY up to the point they believe they are the end all be all in law enforcement.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 10:28:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
There is no way in HELL I would want to be a Trooper with their work schedule......  In my AO there is enough troops they could work 12's and have more days off a month VS their current cluster schedule which seems like they work 25 days a month with 5 off

I hear some of the guys saying they love their 8's as it gives them more time "off"
Before and after work...  Ya, that goes out the window when their on nights especially.... Come in work at 8pm, and get off at 2-4am... Don't know how many times I've come in to work at 5am and a trooper has been out for 14hrs... NO THANK YOU
View Quote

Up here in Denton County, DPS is usually tucked in tight by 2am with a wreck unit on call.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 10:19:59 AM EDT
[#11]
I looked into it about 10 years ago. Starting pay was like $27k and the physical test was based on how much you could bench press and squat lift and a few other things. I was going to the gym regularly back then, but when they threw those numbers at me, I figured there were a lot of other things I could do with less BS and more pay.

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 11:18:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Prestigious agency for sure. Trooper has to be in your blood though. I don't know any that do the cool stuff in those videos. My contacts have mostly been with those that work like traffic units. Tickets & crashes. Nothing wrong with that, but they aren't going to put that in a recruiting video.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 1:41:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Prestigious agency for sure. Trooper has to be in your blood though. I don't know any that do the cool stuff in those videos. My contacts have mostly been with those that work like traffic units. Tickets & crashes. Nothing wrong with that, but they aren't going to put that in a recruiting video.
View Quote

Do you even truck enforcement, bro?

That's right!  Get down there where the driver dump their pee pee bottles!  
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 1:54:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I looked into it about 10 years ago. Starting pay was like $27k and the physical test was based on how much you could bench press and squat lift and a few other things. I was going to the gym regularly back then, but when they threw those numbers at me, I figured there were a lot of other things I could do with less BS and more pay.

View Quote

I was just looking at Trooper pay schedules...  They make more starting than I would have expected but where they top out after 20 years is about what starting salaries are for recent CS grads these days...

Even if I was 25 years younger and in the same shape I was back then I don't think I'd be too excited about the working conditions and risk to pay ratio...
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 7:36:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have cracked a bottle or two in my time expecting a whisky fume...
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 7:40:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

VERY sorry
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 3:15:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Great guys, but the amount of screwing over they get on a daily basis in scary. From the pay to the politics,  No way in hell would I work there.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 3:46:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

First off....all the troopers I know are great guys for the most part. My comment above was geared towards the fact that DPS breaks them down in the academy and then brings them WAY up to the point they believe they are the end all be all in law enforcement.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Care to elaborate?

That's the truth.

Link Posted: 9/24/2014 4:13:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Bait and Switch.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 2:34:20 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Care to elaborate?

Kinda like the Marines do in the military?     It isn't unique to the DPS academy.  I know of a large city agency's academy that does the same thing.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top