Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/17/2014 8:49:05 PM EDT
I have a car which I haven't been driving, and I accidentally let the registration lapse (two years, I think).  Do I just have to bring proof of insurance, pass inspection, and then go to the tax office and get it registered?  Am I missing anything?

How long does it take to actually be registered?
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 8:52:43 PM EDT
[#1]
You pretty much got it.

Quoted:
View Quote

Depends on how long the line is.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 8:56:09 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You pretty much got it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

You pretty much got it.

Quoted:

Thanks.

I know it takes a while for the sticker to show up if you do it on-line, but I don't remember how it works when you walk in and register at the tax office.  Do they give you the sticker right there?

I have family coming in a few weeks, so I want to make sure I have an extra vehicle.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 9:13:08 PM EDT
[#3]
If registration has been expired that long, pretty sure you can't do it online.  And I think HEB won't do it if it's past due by a certain time either.  You'll probably have to go either to a title office or to the county tax office to get it done.  I live in a smaller county and it takes less than 5 minutes to renew there.  They even have a drive through lane.  Should just need proof of insurance, money to pay for it, and the registration form if you still have it.  Don't have the registration form, might take longer.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 9:18:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
If registration has been expired that long, pretty sure you can't do it online.  And I think HEB won't do it if it's past due by a certain time either.  You'll probably have to go either to a title office or to the county tax office to get it done.  I live in a smaller county and it takes less than 5 minutes to renew there.  They even have a drive through lane.  Should just need proof of insurance, money to pay for it, and the registration form if you still have it.  Don't have the registration form, might take longer.
View Quote

If the vehicle is insured and had a valid inspection I think you can do it online but it has to be approved.  I let the registration lapse on my truck that I rarely drive, couldn't do it at Tom Thumb.  Went to do it on line and it asked me if I it passed inspection and all that.  About a week later I got an email saying it was approved and I got a new sticker in the mail.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 10:44:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Do they give you the sticker right there?
View Quote

Yes.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 7:07:31 AM EDT
[#6]
FYI...

The last 3-renewals I have done online have been quick.  Last Saturday I did the renewal, got confirmation Sunday afternoon, received the sticker yesterday (Wednesday).  This is in Dallas County.

mm
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 8:15:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Just a heads up, they will require you to pay for the past two years that it has been expired. I just went thru this myself.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 6:12:57 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Just a heads up, they will require you to pay for the past two years that it has been expired. I just went thru this myself.
View Quote
So I'll have to pay registration for a car parked in my garage?  I guess I'm not really surprised.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 6:40:35 PM EDT
[#9]
now my case may be different.
but I had a car that wasn't drivable for a couple of years, while I was getting the engine working.
I only had to pay for that year, but I didn't get the part of the year that was already over if that makes sense.

I didn't have to back pay for it.
and I had to sign something stating I had not been driving it during that time.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 10:46:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
So I'll have to pay registration for a car parked in my garage?  I guess I'm not really surprised.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The tax office should have an "affidavit of non use" for you to sign that will exempt the prior registration fees while it was parked.
I've heard they cross reference the vehicle for parking/ moving violations and could pursue fraud charges if they find any evidence the vehicle was being driven...no proof at all, maybe it's an urban legend the DOT starts every couple of years to scare people into paying ...

Edit : found this on the Nueces Co Tax Assessor website

"What if I haven't driven the vehicle since my registration expired. Do I still pay the 20% penalty?
Anyone who re-registers after the five-day grace period can fill out a Non-Use Affidavit (Form 64), or sign the Non-Use Affidavit located on the back of the RTS 500 Receipt, if the vehicle has not been driven. The Nueces County Tax Office will then pro-rate the registration fees for the remainder of the vehicle's assigned registration year."
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top