Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/16/2014 8:41:48 PM EDT
I live out in Katy, and commute into Houston every day. Today, I noticed three HPD "ghost" units on the inbound side. One was west of SH99, and the other two were west of Westgreen Blvd.. The city limit is all the way down at Park 10, which is nearly ten miles away.

How is this legal?
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 9:08:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I live out in Katy, and commute into Houston every day. Today, I noticed three HPD "ghost" units on the inbound side. One was west of SH99, and the other two were west of Westgreen Blvd.. The city limit is all the way down at Park 10, which is nearly ten miles away.

How is this legal?
View Quote

Texas Transportation Code
Sec. 543.001.  ARREST WITHOUT WARRANT AUTHORIZED.  Any peace officer may arrest without warrant a person found committing a violation of this subtitle.

However, They either were not enforcing traffic or they actually were inside the city limits.

Edit.  I just checked, and 1-10 is inside Houston from at least 99 and in.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 9:24:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Sec. 543.001.  ARREST WITHOUT WARRANT AUTHORIZED.  Any peace officer may arrest without warrant a person found committing a violation of this subtitle.

However, They either were not enforcing traffic or they actually were inside the city limits.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How is this legal?

They were actually doing what you said they weren't. They were enforcing traffic, nearly 10 miles outside of the Houston city limits. Three of these traffic units...

ETA: as I previously mentioned, the Houston city limit ends at Park 10, which is just west of Hwy 6. These guys were much further west. One of them being past SH99, which while is in unincorporated Harris county, is a Katy address.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 9:39:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

They were actually doing what you said they weren't. They were enforcing traffic, nearly 10 miles outside of the Houston city limits. Three of these traffic units...

http://i55.tinypic.com/14jqixe.jpg

ETA: as I previously mentioned, the Houston city limit ends at Park 10, which is just west of Hwy 6. These guys were much further west. One of them being past SH99, which while is in unincorporated Harris county, is a Katy address.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How is this legal?

The city limits actually encompasses I-10 all the way to at least 99.   I just checked.  

you can zoom in and clearly see.  ??
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 9:42:56 PM EDT
[#4]
They also do this on 59 south in rural Ft. Bend Co. I spoke with a FBSO that I know that is in one of the "special" task force units and he said they have an agreement in place with HPD to run ops in the area to look for drugs going north and money going south. He also said they are suppossed to let FBSO know when they are operating because FBSO has to (and this I don't recall exactly) make the arrest or take possession of the evidence.

Maybe HCSO has the same agreement in place?
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 9:44:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Texas Code of Criminal Procedure

Art. 14.03. AUTHORITY OF PEACE OFFICERS.
(g)(1)  A peace officer listed in Subdivision (1), (2), or (5), Article 2.12, who is licensed under Chapter 1701, Occupations Code, and is outside of the officer's jurisdiction may arrest without a warrant a person who commits any offense within the officer's presence or view, other than a violation of Subtitle C, Title 7, Transportation Code.

(2)  A peace officer listed in Subdivision (3), Article 2.12, who is licensed under Chapter 1701, Occupations Code, and is outside of the officer's jurisdiction may arrest without a warrant a person who commits any offense within the officer's presence or view, except that an officer described in this subdivision who is outside of that officer's jurisdiction may arrest a person for a violation of Subtitle C, Title 7, Transportation Code, only if the offense is committed in the county or counties in which the municipality employing the peace officer is located.
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 9:47:41 PM EDT
[#6]
View All Quotes
Quoted:

(g)(1)  A peace officer listed in Subdivision (1), (2), or (5), Article 2.12, who is licensed under Chapter 1701, Occupations Code, and is outside of the officer's jurisdiction may arrest without a warrant a person who commits any offense within the officer's presence or view, other than a violation of Subtitle C, Title 7, Transportation Code.

(2)  A peace officer listed in Subdivision (3), Article 2.12, who is licensed under Chapter 1701, Occupations Code, and is outside of the officer's jurisdiction may arrest without a warrant a person who commits any offense within the officer's presence or view, except that an officer described in this subdivision who is outside of that officer's jurisdiction may arrest a person for a violation of Subtitle C, Title 7, Transportation Code, only if the offense is committed in the county or counties in which the municipality employing the peace officer is located.

I have read that before, but my question has always been, who gets the revenue from the ticket?  The city of Houston or the county or municipality where they observed the offense and wrote the ticket. It would seem wrong to me for Houston to get money from people breaking the law in say, sugar land or Katy....
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 9:56:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I have read that before, but my question has always been, who gets the revenue from the ticket?  The city of Houston or the county or municipality where they observed the offense and wrote the ticket. It would seem wrong to me for Houston to get money from people breaking the law in say, sugar land or Katy....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Traffic offenses are heard in the jurisdiction in which the occur.  For example, DPS files cases in the JP courts.  
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 10:14:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Traffic offenses are heard in the jurisdiction in which the occur.  For example, DPS files cases in the JP courts.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I understand that with DPS, they also have computerized ticket machines that print the ticket. Now, it's been a while since I was last ticketed by HPD, but their tickets had the Houston courts pre-printed on them, all they wrote was the time and day to appear by. Sugar Land, Richmond, and others I know of were the same way. So, do they carry ticket books around for the municipities or JPs they are writing the ticket in?  
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 5:34:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Here's where my main bit of confusion lies;

Articles 1 and 2, respectively, Google streetview and my personal pic from tonight, showing the "end city limit" sign.

And then, some MS Paint, showing the location of said sign, in comparison to the location of the aforementioned HPD units...

The black dot, or sign, is on the west bound/outbound side of the freeway. The three units were on the inbound/east bound side of the freeway.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 7:03:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I understand that with DPS, they also have computerized ticket machines that print the ticket. Now, it's been a while since I was last ticketed by HPD, but their tickets had the Houston courts pre-printed on them, all they wrote was the time and day to appear by. Sugar Land, Richmond, and others I know of were the same way. So, do they carry ticket books around for the municipities or JPs they are writing the ticket in?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would assume that the tickets would be handled in Houston municipal court.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 7:21:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It appears to me that the officers to which the OP refer are operating within the city of Houston.  Also, I cannot imagine the city permitting traffic enforcement outside the city limits, for a multitude of reasons.

Often stretches of interstates are within a major city even when the surrounding lands are not.   Click on that map and zoom in.   It is an official Houston map.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 7:24:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Articles 1 and 2, respectively, Google streetview and my personal pic from tonight, showing the "end city limit" sign.

<a href="http://s211.photobucket.com/user/playsinmud/media/stuff/kljyfkluyfoluyf_zpsc81fafc0.png.html" target="_blank">http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb98/playsinmud/stuff/kljyfkluyfoluyf_zpsc81fafc0.png</a>
<a href="http://s211.photobucket.com/user/playsinmud/media/stuff/20140917_020033_zps6846b11e.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb98/playsinmud/stuff/20140917_020033_zps6846b11e.jpg</a>

And then, some MS Paint, showing the location of said sign, in comparison to the location of the aforementioned HPD units...

<a href="http://s211.photobucket.com/user/playsinmud/media/stuff/trl_zps62e4e5f8.png.html" target="_blank">http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb98/playsinmud/stuff/trl_zps62e4e5f8.png</a>

The black dot, or sign, is on the west bound/outbound side of the freeway. The three units were on the inbound/east bound side of the freeway.
View Quote

Look at the map I linked.   It clearly shows I-10 is inside Houston far past the sign.  
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 11:30:46 AM EDT
[#13]
What is the difference between the orange and yellow on the map?  I am assuming that the yellow is the actual city limits but what is the orange for?  I live in cypress and the orange goes into my area but looks like it does not cover any residences, only fields and roads.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 1:30:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Look at the map I linked.   It clearly shows I-10 is inside Houston far past the sign.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://s211.photobucket.com/user/playsinmud/media/stuff/kljyfkluyfoluyf_zpsc81fafc0.png.html" target="_blank">http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb98/playsinmud/stuff/kljyfkluyfoluyf_zpsc81fafc0.png</a>
<a href="http://s211.photobucket.com/user/playsinmud/media/stuff/20140917_020033_zps6846b11e.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb98/playsinmud/stuff/20140917_020033_zps6846b11e.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s211.photobucket.com/user/playsinmud/media/stuff/trl_zps62e4e5f8.png.html" target="_blank">http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb98/playsinmud/stuff/trl_zps62e4e5f8.png</a>

They why is the sign (deep inside the St 99 area) saying "Houston City Limits" if it is NOT showing the real boundry of Houston City Limits?

Something doesn't add up.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 1:33:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
How is this legal?
View Quote

Because the city limits extend down I-10 past the Grand Parkway to Katy Ft Bend Rd (Katy Mills Mall). Some courts disagree about jurisdiction with some saying that city officers have jurisdiction in the entire county where they have city limits vs just the city limits itself.

So HPD can have jurisdiction in:

Harris County
Ft. Bend County
Montgomery County

Department policy limits enforcement. Any tickets written outside the city would have to be out of whatever JP court has jurisdiction.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 1:52:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

How is this legal?
View Quote

They could have been contracted by the municipality you were in at the time.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 5:06:26 PM EDT
[#17]
You'll be shocked to see how far out Houston's ETJ is.  I was shocked.  5 years and city limits will start to surround City of Katy. ETJ is past the City of Katy.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 8:06:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
You'll be shocked to see how far out Houston's ETJ is.  I was shocked.  5 years and city limits will start to surround City of Katy. ETJ is past the City of Katy.
View Quote

Yep supposedly houston gave up part of its ETJ at Katy mills mall when the site was being proposed. Something about making sure the building was entirely in katy and only the parking lot was in Houston if they didn't.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 9:49:32 PM EDT
[#19]
COH goes all the way to just short of memorial hermann katy hospital outside of 99.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 11:25:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

The city limits actually encompasses I-10 all the way to at least 99.   I just checked.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How is this legal?

This would be the correct answer. The city limit boundaries can encompass freeways whereas the service roads will sometimes be county.  I believe the city limit on the freeway stops around Mason Rd, which would be 20G60's beat. Tickets written on that portion of I-10 still go the COH Municipal Court . This link probably shows the boundary better. http://mycity.houstontx.gov/recentcrime/index.html

To the OP: I have no idea why TXDOT placed the city limit sign in that location but there are many incorrect street signs in Houston so who knows. But if you want the skinny call  713-247-4034 from 6-2pm and ask for Sgt Washington in Traffic Enforcement. He is a supervisor in Traffic Enforcement division and can tell you why his officers are posted up there.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 2:33:48 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How is this legal?

Link Posted: 9/18/2014 5:46:11 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How is this legal?

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb302/Citabria7gcbc/3B62AB21-EEB2-4789-A031-3F2DEBD2692E-2352-000000E96C7E42CD.jpg

The black ones look more sinister.....
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 10:55:48 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How is this legal?

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb302/Citabria7gcbc/3B62AB21-EEB2-4789-A031-3F2DEBD2692E-2352-000000E96C7E42CD.jpg

Pretty sure you'll have pucker factor if either one is behind you. LOL.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top