Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/2/2014 2:48:12 PM EDT
since they tied them to the registration now, I guess they had to get rid of the 3 year tag renewals?

since I don't have to renew my tags for a while, does that mean I don't have to get inspected for a while?
or how is that going to work?
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 3:42:18 PM EDT
[#1]
All the inspection data is electronically tied to your registration. I don't see how it would effect longer term registrations. When an Officer runs your plate it will shw on the computer whether or not you are up to date on your inspection. If your registration is paid up for 3 years but you don't get your inspection the second year you would just get the ticket for no inspection like you did in the past. The state is just saving a ton of money not printing them and avoiding all of the inspection sticker fraud/counterfeiting which is a huge business.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 3:49:39 PM EDT
[#2]
maybe it is an every other then. I just tried to renew a car, and only got the 12 month option.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 7:20:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
maybe it is an every other then. I just tried to renew a car, and only got the 12 month option.
View Quote

Never heard of a 3 year long registration.  There is a 2 year inspection sticker for brand new cars, or at least was before this new law.  After that 2 years is up it goes back to yearly inspections.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 9:40:02 AM EDT
[#4]
a couple of years back, they started letting you register your cars for 3 or 4 years at a your renewal date.

I figured at best I saved that 10 dollar fee every year, at worst, I was screwing myself out of the tax drop as my car got older.

so all of my cars are registered the max out it would allow.

had one just come up for renewal and it wasn't an option this time.
so I figured they took it away for this new inspection thing. or maybe since the plate is due up they might not be letting me do it.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 1:47:57 PM EDT
[#5]
On a side note, I was just registering one of my vehicles online and clicked on a link that took me to a 3rd party vendor so be extremely careful you are using the correct website.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 4:35:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Where is the state planning on pissing away the money they save?  
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 5:54:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
All the inspection data is electronically tied to your registration. I don't see how it would effect longer term registrations. When an Officer runs your plate it will shw on the computer whether or not you are up to date on your inspection. If your registration is paid up for 3 years but you don't get your inspection the second year you would just get the ticket for no inspection like you did in the past. The state is just saving a ton of money not printing them and avoiding all of the inspection sticker fraud/counterfeiting which is a huge business.
View Quote

I really don't see how going to a one sticker system will change this. All the info goes into a computer which gets uploaded to the state on every inspection anyway. From what I understand the registration is just going to read off of this anyway so the inspector will still be able to enter a failing car as a pass the same way they do now.

Link Posted: 9/3/2014 7:37:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I really don't see how going to a one sticker system will change this. All the info goes into a computer which gets uploaded to the state on every inspection anyway. From what I understand the registration is just going to read off of this anyway so the inspector will still be able to enter a failing car as a pass the same way they do now.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is true. The main problem was people making fake stickers and selling them to completely bypass the entire process.

There was a recent bust here for fake inspection stickers. The suspects were all Mexican cartel, two wanted for murder. They were allegedly clearing 40k a month in fake stickers. The problem is much bigger than most people know.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 7:39:06 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

That's not even close to the problem.

Stickers and books get stolen and then they just slap them on whatever, computer be damned. Also, it is pretty hard to tell the computer to pass the OBD requirements when it is plugged in to the machine. Lastly, the safety items that an inspector can overlook are things likely to be caught or stopped for, so nobody wants to scan their license and then let that pass. There are also a crapload of counterfeit stickers out there too.

Link Posted: 9/3/2014 10:28:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

That is true. The main problem was people making fake stickers and selling them to completely bypass the entire process.

There was a recent bust here for fake inspection stickers. The suspects were all Mexican cartel, two wanted for murder. They were allegedly clearing 40k a month in fake stickers. The problem is much bigger than most people know.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Who are their customers?  What percentage of fake inspection stickers do you think are in use in Texas?
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 10:39:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Who are their customers?  What percentage of fake inspection stickers do you think are in use in Texas?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I dunno about straight up "fake", but I have seen plenty of stickers that are fudged in the system, more than one would think.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 4:18:21 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Asking us to profile?

Guys not in the know, the fake/counterfeit stickers are VERY common in the emissions required counties. (Brazoria, Collin, Dallas, Denton, Ellis, El Paso, Fort Bend, Galveston, Harris, Johnson, Kaufman, Montgomery, Parker, Rockwall, Tarrant, Travis and Williamson).  

Everywhere else they are practically non-existant.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 7:04:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Asking us to profile?

Guys not in the know, the fake/counterfeit stickers are VERY common in the emissions required counties. (Brazoria, Collin, Dallas, Denton, Ellis, El Paso, Fort Bend, Galveston, Harris, Johnson, Kaufman, Montgomery, Parker, Rockwall, Tarrant, Travis and Williamson).  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Asking us to profile?

I was going to say, I didn't know it really was a problem. Of course I live in small town East Texas and avoid those counties like the plague anyway. I didn't even know this new rule came out until I read it on here. Still not 100%sure what's going on.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 8:40:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mostly used car lots, and junkyards that rebuild salvaged vehicles for sale. They have no intention of going through the process of a legit sticker for the amount of cars they move.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top