Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/30/2014 9:23:21 PM EDT
I'm interested in building a pistol just need a little clarification.
Do I just need to register the lower as a pistol when I order them or is there more to it? ( assuming my FFL does this? )
Are there any other forbidden items besides stocks and  fore grips?

Link Posted: 8/30/2014 10:41:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Some dealers write it different but the main thing is that you start with a stripped lower and take a pic of it before you do anything to it for that just incase moment. Once a pistol you cant put a vertical for grip on it. That makes it a AOW. Then its all about making it run right. A full auto bolt carrier and the spike buffer tube with spring and buffer work good. Hope you have fun building it. Here is mine.

Link Posted: 8/31/2014 1:31:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Do I just need to register the lower as a pistol when I order them or is there more to it?
View Quote

There is no "registering".

When you take delivery of a receiver from your FFL, he'll record it on the Form 4473 as "other", because it is neither a rifle nor pistol at that point.

He doesn't record what you intend to do with it after you take delivery - and probably couldn't care less.

AR Pistols Forum
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 1:06:10 PM EDT
[#3]
^^^this^^^^^; the AR pistol forum answers EVERY question you could EVAR have,,,,

Yes it's legal to have a fwd vertical grip IF the OAL is +26"; a letter from BATFE is
listed on that forum.

good luck with your new toy.

ETA; just saw your join date & post count; you win the Interwebs longest lurker award today,,,,,
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 3:14:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
^^^this^^^^^; the AR pistol forum answers EVERY question you could EVAR have,,,,

Yes it's legal to have a fwd vertical grip IF the OAL is +26"; a letter from BATFE is
listed on that forum.

good luck with your new toy.

ETA; just saw your join date & post count; you win the Interwebs longest lurker award today,,,,,
View Quote

I never knew that about the oal and vetical grip. When i did mine the brace wasnt even around and i guess things have changed a bit
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 4:21:21 PM EDT
[#5]
I have been lurking a while I guess.... lol
I Just swing by a find the answer I need then keep on going....

Appreciate the help, time to start searching for a lower.....
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 5:06:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Appreciate the help, time to start searching for a lower.....
View Quote

There were a lot of lowers on sale this weekend online for Labor Day.  Several places look sold out on their deals, but you might still search around and find a good deal.  Note that there are a couple companies that sell lower receivers specifically marked as pistol lowers, but that is not required here.  It is still logged on the ATF form the same way a non-pistol marked virgin receiver is.  I bought one simply because during one of the several panics when lowers were scarce and expensive, it was available and at regular price.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top