Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/14/2014 8:39:22 AM EDT
Dropped ticket, exposed gun when he bent over to pick it up, asked to leave. He showed ID, kicked out anyway. AMC says they did right, even though he complied with policy. Typical Corporate double talk.

Video has ex-McKinney Cop now lawyer talking about gun laws, he was wrong on several points. Sigh. Even Tim had to correct him on CHL in church.

http://www.myfoxdfw.com/story/26278225/off-duty-officer-not-allowed-to-carry-gun-into-mesquite-theater
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 9:29:37 AM EDT
[#1]
The single deciding factor why I do not patronize AMC, even if all other things were equal...and they aren't.  
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 10:14:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Thought there was a law or "act" that allows officers to carry while off duty pretty much anywhere they want.
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 12:29:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Their business, their rules.
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 1:10:50 PM EDT
[#4]
HB 218
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 3:00:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thought there was a law or "act" that allows officers to carry while off duty pretty much anywhere they want.
View Quote

Texas' Criminal trespass does not apply to current or former LEO.  On or off duty.

46.02 and 46.03 do not apply to current or former LEO, on or off duty.

They can still be asked to leave, and be refused service.  None of those are carte blanche to stay somewhere they aren't welcome.
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 3:08:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Texas' Criminal trespass does not apply to current or former LEO.  On or off duty.

View Quote

Sure it does.

Here is the PC30.05 exemption:

(i)  This section does not apply if:
(1)  the basis on which entry on the property or land or in the building was forbidden is that entry with a handgun or other weapon was forbidden; and
(2)  the actor at the time of the offense was a peace officer, including a commissioned peace officer of a recognized state, or a special investigator under Article 2.122, Code of Criminal Procedure, regardless of whether the peace officer or special investigator was engaged in the actual discharge of an official duty while carrying the weapon.

So in summary, former LEOs get nothing, current LEOs only get a firearm exemption. PC46.02 & PC46.03 are similar.
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 3:11:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
HB 218
View Quote

Nope, HR218/LEOUSA does not protect if carry prohibited.

‘‘(b) This section shall not be construed to supersede or limit the laws of any State that—
‘‘(1) permit private persons or entities to prohibit or restrict the possession of concealed firearms on their property;

Though TX/PC30.05 gives full protection to officers of another state.
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 3:11:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Sure it does.

(1)  the basis on which entry on the property or land or in the building was forbidden is that entry with a handgun or other weapon was forbidden; and
(2)  the actor at the time of the offense was a peace officer, including a commissioned peace officer of a recognized state, or a special investigator under Article 2.122, Code of Criminal Procedure, regardless of whether the peace officer or special investigator was engaged in the actual discharge of an official duty while carrying the weapon.

So in summary, former LEOs get nothing, current LEOs only get a firearm exemption. PC46.02 & PC46.03 are similar.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sure it does.

"was a peace officer" = former LE, no?

I see.  was = past tense referring to time of the offense.  

Fair enough about it applying to them.  I was talking about firearm related carry per the thread topic, and so wasn't as specific as I could have been.
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 3:26:27 PM EDT
[#9]
They are all silly for even making a big deal out of it. Don't like a business, vote with your feet... The officer is just angry he got told no. He is probably used to being the exception like speeding and reduced meals, free rent etc etc. The price of popcorn and coke is more criminal than his ego.

Link Posted: 8/14/2014 4:11:43 PM EDT
[#10]
This is AMC pretty much telling any maniac that they can come over and start a mass killing because there won't be anyone to stop them for awhile.
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 11:03:13 PM EDT
[#11]
That's a spooky place to go see a movie. I guess it's been 2 years since we saw a movie there. Even worse we stopped at Cheddars afterwards to eat.

Do yourself a favor and drive out to Forney to go see a movie and get a bite to eat. It's a much nicer theater and it's not posted.
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 8:04:03 AM EDT
[#12]
So how slow will the police response be the next time that AMC call's for help?
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 6:45:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
This is AMC pretty much telling any maniac that they can come over and start a mass killing because there won't be anyone to stop them for awhile.
View Quote

Yep, which is why I refuse to go to the movies.
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 8:44:39 PM EDT
[#14]

I heard some lawyer on a news program saying that the law restricting access did not apply to cops. I wonder if he just doesn't understand that the cop wasn't violating a law, just AMC policy.
They also said AMC is going to train it's employees better so they don't do it again, so apparently they are supposed to not kick out DPD.
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 11:01:28 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I heard some lawyer on a news program saying that the law restricting access did not apply to cops. I wonder if he just doesn't understand that the cop wasn't violating a law, just AMC policy.

They also said AMC is going to train it's employees better so they don't do it again, so apparently they are supposed to not kick out DPD.

View Quote

Still, instead of being an attention whore and arguing about it, he should have just left when he was asked.

Link Posted: 8/15/2014 11:13:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
That's a spooky place to go see a movie. I guess it's been 2 years since we saw a movie there. Even worse we stopped at Cheddars afterwards to eat.

Do yourself a favor and drive out to Forney to go see a movie and get a bite to eat. It's a much nicer theater and it's not posted.
View Quote

You Texans are so,,,,,,cryptic.
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 11:17:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
So how slow will the police response be the next time that AMC call's for help?
View Quote

Depends on whether they care more about doing what your average citizen thinks LE primary goal is, or making a point to further their own wants.
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 12:02:34 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Still, instead of being an attention whore and arguing about it, he should have just left when he was asked.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly right.
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 3:27:44 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Exactly right.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Exactly right.
I don't know...maybe he brought AMC's 'retardedosity' to the attention of those who were there.

Link Posted: 8/16/2014 11:37:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So what are you're thoughts on open carry ?  
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 12:09:36 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

So what are you're thoughts on open carry ?  
View Quote

Basically the same. I support open carry, but if a business owner asks you to leave, you should just leave instead of arguing and trespassing.

Link Posted: 8/19/2014 3:55:03 PM EDT
[#22]
When did Texas start turning into New York, with all these rules, regulations, prohibitions, warnings, fees, taxes, surcharges and all that other shit?

Literally everything here requires some sort of special dispensation from the government, along with a wheelbarrow full of money.

What gives? Y'all turning Yankee on us?
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 3:57:47 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

When did Texas start turning into New York, with all these rules, regulations, prohibitions, warnings, fees, taxes, surcharges and all that other shit?

Literally everything here requires some sort of special dispensation from the government, along with a wheelbarrow full of money.

What gives? Y'all turning Yankee on us?
View Quote

Around 1865.

Link Posted: 8/19/2014 4:42:22 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

They are all silly for even making a big deal out of it. Don't like a business, vote with your feet... The officer is just angry he got told no. He is probably used to being the exception like speeding and reduced meals, free rent etc etc. The price of popcorn and coke is more criminal than his ego.

View Quote

Hey that didn't take long, for you to turn it to a cops-suck thread.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 4:43:43 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

HB 218
View Quote

218 is specific in stating that the LE officer must comply with local carry rules.  

Link Posted: 8/19/2014 4:47:31 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Dropped ticket, exposed gun when he bent over to pick it up, asked to leave. He showed ID, kicked out anyway. AMC says they did right, even though he complied with policy. Typical Corporate double talk.

Video has ex-McKinney Cop now lawyer talking about gun laws, he was wrong on several points. Sigh. Even Tim had to correct him on CHL in church.

http://www.myfoxdfw.com/story/26278225/off-duty-officer-not-allowed-to-carry-gun-into-mesquite-theater
View Quote

I was going to tell AMC their no guns policy for CHL holders eliminates any chances that I ever spend any money there but they wont publicize a corporate email address and require me to waste my money on a letter or to use the NSA chat system ( aka Facebook )

No thanks. Easier to just never go there.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 6:59:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seriously...... I bet you think this song is about you. It's not that all cops suck. Most are great people trying to make a positive difference. But the ones that aren't make up for it. I think AMC sucks and I won't pay $10.00 for a bag of popcorn so I don't do business with them. I disagree with the policy too but it is their choice. I think making a big deal of it is petty and the action of a entitled self important person that just happens to be a cop. Him taking it to the media as an act of retribution tells me volumes of his character as well.
   Why are YOU making it into something it isn't. I have a camp out ever year at the ranch and about 2-3 out of 10 are law enforcement of some sort. I have these debates with them and no hard feelings. The worst it gets is agreeing to disagree. You are welcome to come to the next one and see for yourself. We probably have more in common than not,guess what the general public thinks of everyone on this forum?
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 2:34:59 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Seriously...... I bet you think this song is about you. It's not that all cops suck. Most Some are great people trying to make a positive difference. ..snip.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seriously...... I bet you think this song is about you. It's not that all cops suck. Most Some are great people trying to make a positive difference. ..snip.

Fixed it for you...
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 2:33:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm glad he made a big deal out of it and that it got some media attention.  This will cost the business a bit of money.  Not a lot, but corporate executives don't like negative media attention, so they'll take some sort of action in an effort to make sure this doesn't happen again.  And by "this", I mean the negative media attention.  There's a chance, however small, that their policies will change to be more lenient towards the lawful carrying of firearms, and I like that idea.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 4:09:40 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Seriously...... I bet you think this song is about you. It's not that all cops suck. Most are great people trying to make a positive difference. But the ones that aren't make up for it. I think AMC sucks and I won't pay $10.00 for a bag of popcorn so I don't do business with them. I disagree with the policy too but it is their choice. I think making a big deal of it is petty and the action of a entitled self important person that just happens to be a cop. Him taking it to the media as an act of retribution tells me volumes of his character as well.

Why are YOU making it into something it isn't. I have a camp out ever year at the ranch and about 2-3 out of 10 are law enforcement of some sort. I have these debates with them and no hard feelings. The worst it gets is agreeing to disagree. You are welcome to come to the next one and see for yourself. We probably have more in common than not,guess what the general public thinks of everyone on this forum?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You made a lot of assumptions in your previous post that you don't know are true.

Maybe you should think about what you post first before going after the persons character, or whats in their mind before you actually know. I don't think you are entitled to make assumptions on what the person was thinking, an ego, expectations or his personal history.

Everything you said after '....vote with your feet' was completely unnecessary and likely void of any fact unless you see video of the guy jumping up and down in the lobby, or someone reported it.  It seems to me he tried to appease the manager and they weren't having any part of it because they were anti-gun and ignorant of the law when it comes to non applicability under criminal trespass.

Things like this should be made public. CHL holder, or Officer, neither should be denied service because they are armed.

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:11:12 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Things like this should be made public. CHL holder, or Officer, neither should be denied service because they are armed.
View Quote

Hear, hear.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 9:21:08 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

You made a lot of assumptions in your previous post that you don't know are true.

Maybe you should think about what you post first before going after the persons character, or whats in their mind before you actually know. I don't think you are entitled to make assumptions on what the person was thinking, an ego, expectations or his personal history.

Everything you said after '....vote with your feet' was completely unnecessary and likely void of any fact unless you see video of the guy jumping up and down in the lobby, or someone reported it.  It seems to me he tried to appease the manager and they weren't having any part of it because they were anti-gun and ignorant of the law when it comes to non applicability under criminal trespass.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think anyone is entitled to an opinion educated or not.However before I make this comparison I want you to know that's all it is and to follow your own advice and not make an assumption. Why do you think the police released the video in Ferguson before the investigation was concluded, grand jury delivered etc. Was it to sway public opinion? I know it worked on me and that was an assumption. How bout you? I didn't know Mr. Brown but I know if he was being a thief,attacking store clerks and assaulting an officer it was a great way to get liberated from your body. My heart truly goes out to the officer. His life will never be the same.
   That being said, if you weren't at the theater with the off duty officer then you are just as guilty as me of making assumptions that I believe you/we are all entitled too. As soon as he went to the media with his side,we got entitled to our opinions as I see it.  I wonder how he would have treated somebody in the same or similar situation if he got dispatched because someone saw a sidearm for a brief second by accident. I would like to think in a calm reasonable manner but that's an assumption too.
   I agree with your point that I probably should have been a little less condescending. I will try and work on that. But I also refuse to be afraid of calling bullshit  on the double standards and do as we say ,not as we do attitude that manifests itself in some officers and departments. I have had it used on me first hand. If it happens to you it will make you look twice as well. If we meet FTF I will be happy to share my first hand  reasons for being diligent about abuse of authority and power.
 So until then I will still be friends with my buddies that are in LE I just won't polish boots , knobs etc and be a fake friend. Most of them seem to appreciate dealing with someone who is sincere and not lying or misrepresenting themselves.

Link Posted: 8/25/2014 10:02:40 PM EDT
[#33]
The AMC at The Parks Mall in Arlington does not have posted signs up.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 10:55:32 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 8:37:10 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
In Texas?
View Quote

Private Property.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 12:54:35 PM EDT
[#36]
It's the cops fault for being made.   Rookie mistake.  

As a retired officer I carry where I please(right or wrong).  I promise you mr bad guy could care less about the signage or applicable laws.  

No one knows I'm carrying.  And that's the way it should be.  Even if I have to bend over or do a somersault.  

Wolves, Sheep & Shepard's.  

Don't be a dumbass!
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 10:32:49 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
It's the cops fault for being made.   Rookie mistake.  

As a retired officer I carry where I please(right or wrong).  I promise you mr bad guy could care less about the signage or applicable laws.  

No one knows I'm carrying.  And that's the way it should be.  Even if I have to bend over or do a somersault.  

Wolves, Sheep & Shepard's.  

Don't be a dumbass!
View Quote

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top