Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/13/2014 2:32:08 PM EDT
Update to this!

We got the big contract, and it looks like the move will be a go, but my company switched the destination from Austin to Dallas for a few reasons...so my research into Austin are for naught...

So to change gears, where to look for home in Dallas...our office is located on Springlake Road in the Farmers Branch (?) area...right near the intersection of 635 and 35 East. It looks like between Carrollton and Irving.

Back to original question...wheres some good areas to look around there for a new domicile? I have a wife and a 4 1/2 year old son, so decent schools are a must. Wouldn't mind living in a more rural spot, but do not want a hellacious drive into work either...

What say the Dallas/Ft Worth Texas crew?

Hey Guys,

I posted a few months ago about a possible move to Texas...have done about a month in Midland/Big Spring Area since the begining of summer doing projects.

Something big came up, and is looking very much like a very good possibility of happening, and if it does, it is sounding like they are wanting me to move down the ASAP...very large project in the Eagle Ford (I know to pronounce it iggleferd...), plus some ancilliary stuff in the Permian (where I just did a bunch).

So its been narrowed down to Austin for relocation. I have a wife (who works in health insurance type work, admin type) and a almost 5 year old son.

Looking at the office's location, it is in the area of Cedar Park/Brushy Creek/Anderson Mill/Jollyville and about 10 miles from Leander. Closest (kind of between) to Anderson Mill, Jollyville...

Also reading some recent posts about moving to Austin, Leander seems like a good choice, but how are those other neighborhoods? How much of a commute would it be from Leander to that area (it looks like its close to the intersection of 183 and 45....Pond Springs Road...One of the biggest things of course is schools for my Boy.

I know it will be hot...although, honestly, I liked it better in Midland at 100+ than here in Buffalo at 85-90 with high humidity...although I guess Austin is fairly humid...but then again nice weather October to May is pretty nice compared to freezing your ass off and shoveling/blowing feet of snow....

Looking forward to possibly trying some Franklin BarBQ...

Link Posted: 8/13/2014 3:02:03 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm only 23, but I've spent all 23 of those years living in Austin. Let me preface this by saying Austin is a rapidly growing city. There isn't much space to expand in Austin, so these suburbs of Austin (Cedar Park, Leander, Round Rock, etc.) are rapidly growing and developing. Obviously, some are better than others. My opinion of these places are as follows:

Cedar Park - One of the best school districts in the Austin area (in the same league as Eanes, Lake Travis, and Westwood I'd say). Nice/new neighborhoods, a lot of shopping areas, etc.. Cedar Park would be my pick if I were in your shoes.

Leander - I haven't traveled to Leander since playing against them in high school, but it didn't seem quite developed, and the schools were subpar. This was several years ago, and like I said everywhere outside of Austin is growing and developing, so it could be very nice. I just don't have a a current opinion of it.

Round Rock - Not on your list, and might be a bit too far north than you'd like, but also a nice option.

I don't really have an opinion on Brushy Creek (although I kind of group it with Cedar Park), Anderson Mill, or Jollyville. I have friends/family in Cedar Park and Round Rock, but seeing as how I live in the Westlake area, I don't make my way up north all too often. I hope this has helped at least a little bit. Good luck!

Oh, and Franklin BBQ is the bomb. Salt Lick too.
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 4:01:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Its certainly a start, and helpful to start chewing on...thanks for the input!

ETA It looks like Round Rock is about the same distance from the office as Leander, just ENE instead of NW....
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 4:03:42 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm pretty sure Cedar Park schools and Leander schools are all in Leander ISD.  Some of the schools within the district may be better than others so pay attention to which elementary & middle schools feed into which high schools and plan your home location accordingly.  Overall though my understanding is that Leander ISD schools are good to go.

I think the Cedar Park and Leander area is pretty decent for the most part.  There are a lot of newer neighborhoods due to the growth.

As for your commute, friends that live in that area tell me that 183 sucks but so does every other major artery into Austin.  However, with your office being located out there and you living out there IMO you will be setup about as good as it gets as far as Austin commutes go.  I don't know what kind of commute you are used to but as someone who has lived in the Austin area since '82 I would be jealous of that commute.  I live out towards Dripping Springs and work downtown, my commute really sucks unless I get into work early and leave early.
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 4:09:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Its certainly a start, and helpful to start chewing on...thanks for the input!

ETA It looks like Round Rock is about the same distance from the office as Leander, just ENE instead of NW....
View Quote

If I had to choose I'd personally go with Leander.  I don't get to either area very often but when I do I get a better vibe from Leander.  Plus there's a regular gun show at the Cedar Park Center.

Plus Larue is in Leander, and you'd be closer to Best of the West.
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 4:29:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Cedar Park / Leander are almost one in the same these days.  My wife and I have lived in Cedar Park for over 15 years now and have lived in and around the Austin area for 25 years.  We love the area and the surrounding areas as well.  We have two children (6 and almost 8).  My mother in law lives in Leander a couple of miles away and my parents live out in Georgetown (just north of Round Rock).  Schools are very good, taxes are better than most, and the surrounding communities are very nice.  There are many family friendly things in and around the area and everything else is a very short drive away.  Round Rock is nice but has gotten very expensive the past few years.  Your commute from Leander / Cedar Park to the area you mention would be almost nothing with very little traffic.  What other kinds of things do you want to know about?
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 7:46:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the input guys, all good info to get started with. Obviously the company will have to send the wife unit down with me to take a look at the area and such.

Personally I would relish a move to Texas to get away from this liberal shithole, and my cool stuff can come out of hiding in my parents house in NC, and I can give the finger to Cuomo on the way out.

I found West Texas interesting...I kinda like it, though I could guarantee my wife would not live in Midland/Odessa....Austin I think would work well for her. She's good with the heat, so she'd have no problem there. I dig the BarBQ down there....

So I know my long guns will all be good down there, what's the story on pistols? I assume no permit needed, but no concealed carry down there, IIRC? In any case I know its better than NY!

How about gun shops / ranges in that area? I know the summers are hot and pretty humid, how is the rest of the year?
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 7:49:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Thanks for the input guys, all good info to get started with. Obviously the company will have to send the wife unit down with me to take a look at the area and such.

Personally I would relish a move to Texas to get away from this liberal shithole, and my cool stuff can come out of hiding in my parents house in NC, and I can give the finger to Cuomo on the way out.

I found West Texas interesting...I kinda like it, though I could guarantee my wife would not live in Midland/Odessa....Austin I think would work well for her. She's good with the heat, so she'd have no problem there. I dig the BarBQ down there....

So I know my long guns will all be good down there, what's the story on pistols? I assume no permit needed, but no concealed carry down there, IIRC? In any case I know its better than NY!

How about gun shops / ranges in that area? I know the summers are hot and pretty humid, how is the rest of the year?
View Quote

Carry on person with a permit,  no permit needed for  pistols or long guns kept  in the vehicle or on property you control. , Long guns can be carried openly, but please stay out of Chipolte.

Gun shops in the area?  I  cruise them when I get bored, it's an all day thing.  maybe 15?  A couple are currently building.  Silencer Shop too.

Ranges?   There are some new one's  being opened in the area,, i think the  number is around 9, 2 are indoor.
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 7:54:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Carry on person with a permit,  no permit needed for  pistols or long guns kept  in the vehicle or on property you control. , Long guns can be carried openly, but please stay out of Chipolte.
View Quote

Yeah, I followed that whole fiasco, in fact I got a card from OCT coming out from the Walmart in Big Spring back in June when I was down...they were going to have a rally that weekend...

Don't worry, while I admire their point in principle, I think the execution leaves a ton to be desired...but I don't want to start that peeing match here!
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 7:55:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

That sounds cool, they have a retail store?
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 8:06:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't believe they do.
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 9:56:31 PM EDT
[#11]
GT Distributors is my shop of choice. Best Of The West is my range of choice.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 3:59:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Bump for update....
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 4:29:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Las colinas

You are also close to a nice range.  Elm Fork
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 4:43:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Carrolton/Farmers Branch is a good district. If you live in FB itself, your kid will probably go to R.L.Turner, where I went. It has (had?) some magnet school programs focusing on Media arts and Technology (AMAT), biomedical to include EMT certifications, an ROTC program. I have no idea what has happened to Turner as my principal, who was AWESOME, got pushed out because he refused to focus on standardized testing scores and "teach to the test".

If you live further north towards Coppell or Plano, things are a bit "nicer". Down in Farmers Branch there are some neighborhoods that seemed less "desirable" to me as a kid. The other schools like Creekview HS are newer, Hebron I believe as well. Actually I forgot entirely about Valley Ranch, that was still being built when I was there so I don't know anything about it. Middle schools and elementary are all the same to me IMO, all the school environments seemed to depend on what your neighborhood demographics were like. I'd recommend Carrolton itself, Coppell, or Plano if you don't mind a drive. Also consider that there is now DART light rail running through Farmers Branch/Carrollton. Dallas actually has some good public transport. Addison is a bit higher rent if I remember correctly, there are lots of restaraunts there and entertainment.

I lived near Frankford Rd and Kelly, look up Dan F Long middle school, and my house was just north of there. Quiet neighborhoods, lots of families. I just hopped on Kelly and headed down for school, not a long drive at all.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 11:31:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Take this for what it's worth, and keep in mind this is just my opinion...

Stay out of Dallas and Dallas county.  City council is jacked (google John Wiley Price FBI & JWP Black Hole to get an idea of just how badly things are going in Dallas proper)

since you mentioned schools, Frisco is doing pretty good in that arena, but is experiencing growing pains...  

http://www.ci.frisco.tx.us/newsite/Pages/default.aspx

Frisco school ratings (rt side of screen by campus)
http://www.friscoisd.org/accountability

Driving from Frisco to Springlake would probably be best accomplished using the toll road system (buy a toll tag for some savings)..

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Frisco,+TX/Springlake+Rd,+Farmers+Branch,+TX+75234/@33.0296437,-97.0272852,11z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m13!4m12!1m5!1m1!1s0x864c3c1abc09943d:0xcad371b035c8fea2!2m2!1d-96.8236116!2d33.1506744!1m5!1m1!1s0x864c27c651440795:0x105f359a8e8cc8d0!2m2!1d-96.902621!2d32.9197819

gl
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 12:15:48 AM EDT
[#16]
North Carrollton/Denton County. Stay out of the Dallas County part of Carrollton. And just in general, stay away from inside Vista Ridge Mall itself in Lewisville.

Like Frisco but it is getting real crowded.

Don't have kids, but friends that do seem fairly happy with either Creekview or Hebron.

Coyote Ridge area is nice. Castle Hills also. Around Indian Creek golf course is reasonably priced and we like.

Been here 23 years. Don't plan on moving till we leave the U.S.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 9:31:41 PM EDT
[#17]
For that area I would choose Coppell. The Irving and Carrolton schools have struggled for a while.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 11:51:41 AM EDT
[#18]
All great info, and very helpful, thanks guys, for taking the time to answer....

My wife who has been doing research too, likes Coppell...

Question about McKinney, how bad of a commute would that be?
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 12:42:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Best schools:

Allen
Lovejoy
Frisco
Little Elm
Parts of McKinney
Parts of Plano.
Parts of Lewisville ISD.

Housing from cheapest to most expensive.

The Colony (Lewisville ISD)
Little Elm
McKinney
Plano
Allen

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 12:45:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Carrolton/Farmers Branch is a good district. If you live in FB itself, your kid will probably go to R.L.Turner, where I went. It has (had?) some magnet school programs focusing on Media arts and Technology (AMAT), biomedical to include EMT certifications, an ROTC program. I have no idea what has happened to Turner as my principal, who was AWESOME, got pushed out because he refused to focus on standardized testing scores and "teach to the test".

If you live further north towards Coppell or Plano, things are a bit "nicer". Down in Farmers Branch there are some neighborhoods that seemed less "desirable" to me as a kid. The other schools like Creekview HS are newer, Hebron I believe as well. Actually I forgot entirely about Valley Ranch, that was still being built when I was there so I don't know anything about it. Middle schools and elementary are all the same to me IMO, all the school environments seemed to depend on what your neighborhood demographics were like. I'd recommend Carrolton itself, Coppell, or Plano if you don't mind a drive. Also consider that there is now DART light rail running through Farmers Branch/Carrollton. Dallas actually has some good public transport. Addison is a bit higher rent if I remember correctly, there are lots of restaraunts there and entertainment.

I lived near Frankford Rd and Kelly, look up Dan F Long middle school, and my house was just north of there. Quiet neighborhoods, lots of families. I just hopped on Kelly and headed down for school, not a long drive at all.
View Quote

I taught at Dan F. Long.  It has lots of problems.  It filled up with Title 8 housing students and discipline is a huge problem.

Before my current teaching gig I was a sub.  I met subs who worked in CFB ISD and they would not take a job in the middle schools.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 12:45:39 PM EDT
[#21]
You mean Southlake and not Springlake, TX
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 12:52:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I taught at Dan F. Long.  It has lots of problems.  It filled up with Title 8 housing students and discipline is a huge problem.

Before my current teaching gig I was a sub.  I met subs who worked in CFB ISD and they would not take a job in the middle schools.
View Quote

Very usefull, I don't want to be anywhere near heavy Sect 8 crap, seen it destroy neighborhoods in Buffalo, I mean absolutely destroy them....
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 6:21:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Look in Denton or Collin County.  Stay out of Dallas County or Dallas proper.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top