Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/28/2014 11:50:17 AM EDT
ARFCOMER's

I am coming to the HGCA'a Houston Gun Show in my quest for an NRA board seat. The NRA board position is national responsibility so the least I can do is meet the members. I am going to jump on a plane and spend the weekend meeting (and taking the heat) from gun folks. Please come out and say hi. If you are a voting member (Life or 5 consecutive years - unbroken since 2009) I could really use your signature on my petition to get on the ballot. Saturday after the show I will be seeking adult beverages if anyone is interested in joining me.

For those that want to know more about me and why I am crazy enough to do this......

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1617923_Knight_for_NRA_Board________Nomination_help_needed.html

It will be my last show of the summer and hopefully I will be finishing off my signature collection after shows in Denver, Charlotte and Phoenix.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 2:01:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Texans, I've already blathered on about Tim in many threads, including the one he linked to above, so I promise I'll get straight to the point this time.

A lot of people, especially those of us in "the gun world", talk a good game.  We dramatically use words like "liberty" and phrases like "fo time", and we go on about what we'll do "when SHTF".  We debate and Monday morning quarterback all sorts of political squabbles and gun rights issues.  We talk a lot.  Tim actually did something.  He didn't thump his chest and rail at the world while demanding donations - and delivering nothing.  He quietly had a private conversation about recalls, he respectfully listened to the professionals who told him they were impossible, doomed to failure and that he was an idiot (direct quote there) if he pursued them... and then he put on his blinders, stuck his nose to the grindstone and made it happen anyway.  He deliberately and knowingly set aside his plans of starting an ammunition business here in Colorado, sacrificed his time with his family, spent what had been his investment capital on legal fights, and scuttled his relationship with many local GOP politicos because it was the right thing to do.

I don't know if these simple words mean to you what they do to me but I'll put it out there and hope you get it.  When "the professionals" turned tail and abandoned Colorado, Tim stood up and fought.

Tim's my friend.  I don't say that about many people and I don't use the word lightly.  He's not an assuming man but he is about as much of a true believer in our rights as Americans as you will ever meet.  He made history with barely 150 people - and I want to see what he can do with an audience of 5 million.  Please - mark the dates on your calendars.  Make it a point to visit him at the show.  Sign his petition and get him on the NRA Board.  It's time the NRA stopped being reactionary and defensive.  It's time we started taking the fight to the enemy.  And Tim knows a little something about making that happen.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 2:26:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
ARFCOMER's

I am coming to the HGCA'a Houston Gun Show in my quest for an NRA board seat. The NRA board position is national responsibility so the least I can do is meet the members. I am going to jump on a plane and spend the weekend meeting (and taking the heat) from gun folks. Please come out and say hi. If you are a voting member (Life or 5 consecutive years - unbroken since 2009) I could really use your signature on my petition to get on the ballot. Saturday after the show I will be seeking adult beverages if anyone is interested in joining me.

For those that want to know more about me and why I am crazy enough to do this......

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1617923_Knight_for_NRA_Board________Nomination_help_needed.html

It will be my last show of the summer and hopefully I will be finishing off my signature collection after shows in Denver, Charlotte and Phoenix.
View Quote

If I'm off that weekend, I will be there and meet with you.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 3:50:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If I'm off that weekend, I will be there and meet with you.
View Quote

I look forward to it sir. Come Saturday and have a beverage with me.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 6:31:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 7:17:10 PM EDT
[#5]
I'll do this.

Will you have a table at the show so we know where to go to sign the stuff that needs signing?
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 9:04:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Any other ways to endorse you without seeing you?
Contact NRA?  Send letter????
View Quote

IM sent. Anyone can send me an IM with an address and I will send you a packet, even for one signature.

My website listed in my signature line has directions on how to sign the petition to get me on the ballot (or IM for a packet as the NRA is very picky and will chuck signatures if ANYTHING is wrong). This just gets me on the ballot.

Then look for your NRA Board of directors ballot in your NRA magazine in early 2015 (or by mail if you get an electronic copy of the magazine), Please select Timothy R. Knight among your preferred candidates. You do not need to vote for all 25 board of director seats. In fact, fewer votes on the ballot will increase your preferred candidates chances of election. Many are deserving, but you get to choose who represents you.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 9:13:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'll do this.

Will you have a table at the show so we know where to go to sign the stuff that needs signing?
View Quote

I will have a table and a big backdrop, trade show style, with my mug on it. Yeah, I was happy about that! In Houston I will be against one of the walls.

The tough part at the shows has always been who can sign, voting members only (life or greater  - or unbroken membership since 2009).  Most folks are not voting members, but they are still members and I want them to know that I care, that I can make things happen and that I know the NRA is not perfect. But change happen when the board is changed.... so once more unto the breach, dear friend, once more..... See you in Texas!
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 4:41:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:45:49 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I will have a table and a big backdrop, trade show style, with my mug on it. Yeah, I was happy about that! In Houston I will be against one of the walls.

View Quote

My son and I are life members and will be happy to sign.

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 4:02:57 PM EDT
[#10]
I met Tim when I was living in CO, before the CO recalls.

Unfortunately I am not a voting NRA member.  But I hope those of you who are will support him.  Tim is good folks.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 7:32:31 PM EDT
[#11]
I would make it if we weren't expecting a new addition to the family.  I will sign your packet.  Address sent.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 12:32:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Gentlemen, I'm not even the one running, just one who I know will benefit once Tim starts lighting fires.  Thanks for supporting him.  We need to start opening more fronts in this battle.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 8:12:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 11:17:11 AM EDT
[#14]
So my trip to Houston might not happen and it is not for lack of trying. If the below letter does not work I will find another gun show in another state that will have me (and answer the phone, Charlotte, NC did not).  Politics is messy and some just don't want to get involved, but I really feel it is important show the members that I care and I want to work WITH them to effect change in our favor. I don't understand their decision and I hope they change their mind, but I will respect the decision of the Houston show of course. Off to Albuquerque, NM for a gun show this weekend.

Letter as follows:

President and Vice President of Gun Shows
Houston Gun Collectors Association
Re: Denial of my request
Officers of the Houston Gun Collectors Association,

I am writing today to appeal your decision to deny my table request for the September 20th-21st gun show in Houston. I had previously called your office and informed the person answering the phone that I wanted to be a vendor at said show and explained who I was and what I was doing (running for the NRA Board of Directors). I was told to send in my registration form with a check. Today, I got a call from your office informing me that I could not participate at the show as a vendor since I was doing something political and such practices are not allowed. I have checked your website and the vendor forms, and I cannot find any prohibition of normal political functions or those groups that might support them like the NRA or TSRA. I hope you are not excluding these groups or others that defend the 2nd Amendment.

I am collecting signatures on a Petition for Nomination in order to get on the 2015 ballot to run for a seat on the Board of Directors of a private organization with national significance. I feel so strongly about the NRA being of national importance that I am traveling the United States to look members in the eye to ask for their support and to listen to their concerns. Texas currently has seven NRA board members (of 76 total), so clearly the 2nd Amendment is a corner stone of rights valued in Texas. We should be encouraging those who hold such office to interact with the members on a wider scale, and I applaud those who do. People who can and will stand for the vigorous defense of the 2nd Amendment are people I want to know. Grassroots activism is going to be vital in defense of our liberty & citizens need to rise to meet that challenge. NRA members can be these modern minutemen and women. Proven leadership will be one of the keys to our defense of the 2nd Amendment, the foundation of our Constitution. I was the architect of the Colorado recalls, helping to preserve liberty in that great state. It was the first time in modern American history that a state legislator was recalled from office for spearheading the legislative tyranny that attempted to crush our Constitutional rights. I want to bring that success to the NRA and continue the march towards equal liberty for every citizen in every state. Those who care about the 2nd Amendment should have a chance to know and interact with those who they might choose to represent them.

I do ask you to seriously reconsider your decision and allow me to have a table at your gun show. I will, of course, respect your verdict, as it is your show.

Yours in Liberty,
Timothy Knight

2015 NRA Board Petition Candidate

Defender Life Member: Texas State Rifle Association
Benefactor Life Member: National Riffle Association
Founder and Architect of the Colorado Recalls

Link Posted: 8/15/2014 1:45:46 PM EDT
[#15]
I will get my packet back to you ASAP.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 9:57:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Houston is out. They said no politics and according to the law I am not participating in politics. But they see it differently.

Going to have to find another show in another state.  I will make Texas next time and perhaps do the other show in Houston.

I am very sorry and out some plane tickets, oh well ..... onward .....

Thank you for all the Texas support. I might be able to fix there broken thought process before the next run.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 2:45:52 AM EDT
[#17]
Sorry to hear that Houston doesn't work out for you.

I'll IM you, I'm overseas but a NRA life member. I won't be back in Texas until 19DEC for a couple of weeks R&R, Christmas and New Years.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 6:04:10 AM EDT
[#18]
I find it interesting they won't let you have a table considering that every election cycle they have allowed local / state political candidates to come to club meetings and give political speeches about how they support the 2nd amendment etc..
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 7:09:42 AM EDT
[#19]
I find it strange as well. The venue for the gun show has rules about no political actions. So they are sticking with that. Now legally, like I said, I am not running for office nor am I subject to any of the laws as such. I am not collecting or raising money. No salary is involved (quite the opposite) from public funds or any funds for that matter. But they have spoken, so deal for now I must.

I wrote them a long "I think you are wrong, but I will comply" letter. They did invite me to come to speak to the members at a meeting. I said if we can disagree on this and you would still welcome me to your meeting I would be glad make a point of coming to Houston. I don't think I will get a reply, but the offer was sincere (I don't do anything other than sincere).

Next time Houston, one way or another ......
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top