Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/25/2014 6:34:37 AM EDT
How can I (Civilian) see who was been running my plates, and other "MDT accessible" info? I believe an entry is made each time this occurs...would a FOI request get me there?

Link Posted: 7/25/2014 7:34:47 AM EDT
[#1]
No.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 7:51:34 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm remembering a story about a Florida Highway Patrol officer who arrested a Miami cop and pissed off the LE community. Somehow it came to her (or her lawyer) attention there were suddenly like 80, or 100 queries by fellow LEO's looking up her address and such.

How did she find out?

Link Posted: 7/25/2014 8:26:26 AM EDT
[#3]
The requests are all logged through the state recording agency - (NCIC is FBI, TCIC is maintained by DPS in Texas). All local records are stored in TCIC for Texas (DL's, LP info, etc). Each query is associated to an individual account for each Officer. This information is not public record. It can be requested by LE through formal subpeonas for investigation but not for public dissemination.

I would imagine she got that information since there was a formal investigation into harassment and official misuse of the criminal records section.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 8:37:37 AM EDT
[#4]
I appreciate the explanation.

In my case a friend implied that an LE aquaintance of ours has been snooping (nothing to hide here).  Rather than make a big deal about it, I thought it would be nice to confront this aquaintance with some data.

Oh well...
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 1:29:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
How can I (Civilian) see who was been running my plates, and other "MDT accessible" info? I believe an entry is made each time this occurs...would a FOI request get me there?

View Quote
LE are Civilians.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 3:28:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
LE are Civilians.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LE are Civilians.

Please be quiet. Adults are talking.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 3:30:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

In my case a friend implied that an LE aquaintance of ours has been snooping (nothing to hide here).  Rather than make a big deal about it, I thought it would be nice to confront this aquaintance with some data.

Oh well...
View Quote

If you are truly concerned I would suggest going down to the police department and making a written complaint to IA about the situation. Once a written, signed complaint is filed a full investigation is done and the Detectives can easily obtain that information.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 4:02:27 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
If you are truly concerned I would suggest going down to the police department and making a written complaint to IA about the situation. Once a written, signed complaint is filed a full investigation is done and the Detectives can easily obtain that information.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh well...

No...not enough to get anybody in trouble.  Also, if it turned out I was misinformed it would be a bad deal all for nothing.

Mostly just annoying if true...but hell, if I had that much info at my fingertips I might get curious too

Link Posted: 7/25/2014 6:22:37 PM EDT
[#9]
In NCIC you just run a QQ search and it'll show who has run the queried data (name DL etc).  Don't know what the TCIC system does.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 4:32:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LE are Civilians.

Link Posted: 7/26/2014 5:44:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
In NCIC you just run a QQ search and it'll show who has run the queried data (name DL etc).  Don't know what the TCIC system does.
View Quote

It's the same.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 5:54:00 AM EDT
[#12]
There was a case not long ago where a dirty cop from Arlington, Texas was running a steroid drug ring and involved in other criminal activity. He was doing background checks on his competition and enemies via his police computer, which was traceable by investigators.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 6:52:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
LE are Civilians.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LE are Civilians.

Quoted:

Link Posted: 7/26/2014 7:31:03 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LE are Civilians.

http://static1.gamespot.com/uploads/original/174/1744573/2565863-3853767-4957010%2B_3d402eb6c781d9c88cd3419c33f6e390.png

Quoted:

No one cares and it is completely irrelevant to a thread full of useful facts. Take that crap to GD.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 8:19:19 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
No...not enough to get anybody in trouble.  Also, if it turned out I was misinformed it would be a bad deal all for nothing.  

Mostly just annoying if true...but hell, if I had that much info at my fingertips I might get curious too

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh well...

That whole 10 years in federal prison  thing is great incentive not to.

EVERY keystroke is logged to the  officer's unique identifier and officers are routinely checked.   Tomfoolery is not tolerated.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 9:51:39 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I'm remembering a story about a Florida Highway Patrol officer who arrested a Miami cop and pissed off the LE community. Somehow it came to her (or her lawyer) attention there were suddenly like 80, or 100 queries by fellow LEO's looking up her address and such.

How did she find out?

View Quote

IAD investigation. Then add rumor mill around the office. No facts came out of those claims.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 9:52:46 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

EVERY keystroke is logged to the  officer's unique identifier and officers are routinely checked.   Tomfoolery is not tolerated.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh well...

What are general policies?  Is it specifically forbidden for using for personal use?
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 10:44:46 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
What are general policies?  Is it specifically forbidden for using for personal use?
View Quote

By Federal law, TCIC/NCIC must only be used for official uses. It cannot be used for non-official investigative or personal reasons.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 11:20:13 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

By Federal law, TCIC/NCIC must only be used for official uses. It cannot be used for non-official investigative or personal reasons.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What exactly qualifies as official uses? Who handles investigating allegations of misconduct or does audits of the system?
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 1:45:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LE are Civilians.

http://static1.gamespot.com/uploads/original/174/1744573/2565863-3853767-4957010%2B_3d402eb6c781d9c88cd3419c33f6e390.png

Quoted:

It's a misrepresentation. Can't stop it without speaking up about it.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 1:51:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

No one cares and it is completely irrelevant to a thread full of useful facts. Take that crap to GD.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LE are Civilians.

Quoted:

I don't think anyone was trying to pick at you. Those guys are simply pointing out that LEO's are not subject to the UCMJ. Which is what you implied in your question. I personally could care less what or if a state or local officer checks your package because if you do a 4473 or get pulled over for running a stop sign they are going to do it anyway. Not to mention the new scanners on cars that check everything from insurance to warrants as you pass. I know you probably don't believe me but they are already on the streets. Bin Ladin didn't believe in black helicopters either. I think intent is everything and how are you going to prove that? Your brake light was out.......remember ?
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 3:05:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

What exactly qualifies as official uses? Who handles investigating allegations of misconduct or does audits of the system?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A guy who used to work for my department was fired for running people through NCIC at the request of friends for whatever reason they had.

There are plenty of stories of people being fired and/or prosecuted for selling NCIC information to people who are not authorized to have access to it.

Who investigates it is up to where the complaint is made and what investigating authority has jurisdiction... and details as far as what the misuse is ..... IE: If someone complains that a city cop is selling NCIC data to a biker gang and the complaint is made to the FBI, the FBI will investigate. Our investigation where our guy was fired was filed internally by their own supervisor and investigated by our IA department.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 3:07:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I don't think anyone was trying to pick at you. Those guys are simply pointing out that LEO's are not subject to the UCMJ. Which is what you implied in your question. I personally could care less what or if a state or local officer checks your package because if you do a 4473 or get pulled over for running a stop sign they are going to do it anyway. Not to mention the new scanners on cars that check everything from insurance to warrants as you pass. I know you probably don't believe me but they are already on the streets. Bin Ladin didn't believe in black helicopters either. I think intent is everything and how are you going to prove that? Your brake light was out.......remember ?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LE are Civilians.

Quoted:

No the whole "civilian" thing that people get butt hurt about is what he and I are both referring to. Again, it's asinine and stupid, and had nothing to do with OP's question about NCIC. It's the usual BS that is common in GD and is completely worthless and contributes nothing.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 8:04:36 PM EDT
[#24]
I guess you could try to file a freedom of information act with which ever agency you  think "ran" you.

Not sure why it is a big deal though. Cops run thousands of license plates everyday.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 8:10:09 PM EDT
[#25]
If we are able to see who runs our credit report, I see no reason why we shouldn't be able to see who ran our other records.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 8:58:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LE are Civilians.

Quoted:

Oh...I care. Very much so.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 9:11:51 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LE are Civilians.

Quoted:

Could have sworn this was a public forum where people can ask whatever they think they need to know. What we dont need is a wanna be mod telling others what to say in a thread. Go police on your on job and let the real mods do there job if they feel they need to step in.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 9:12:57 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
If we are able to see who runs our credit report, I see no reason why we shouldn't be able to see who ran our other records.
View Quote

Agreed
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 9:48:57 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

I guess you could try to file a freedom of information act with which ever agency you  think "ran" you.

Not sure why it is a big deal though. Cops run thousands of license plates everyday.
View Quote
Did you read the thread?

No biggie when a member of LE uses those resources for whatever they want?  Personal curiosity, or whatever...

Like I said earlier...if this happened it's not the end of the world to me but it's not right.

Link Posted: 7/27/2014 8:24:13 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah I'm sure a lot of guys have gotten 10 years in prison for looking up information out of curiosity.

Link Posted: 7/27/2014 10:38:14 AM EDT
[#31]
So is this how they are going to catch Dexter?
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 10:56:42 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Yeah I'm sure a lot of guys have gotten 10 years in prison for looking up information out of curiosity.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually,  4 that I know of.  Some got more.  It's not done for curiosity,  they sell the info to whomever.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 10:56:49 AM EDT
[#33]
And yet again mindless haters derail a useful informational thread with bullshit. Good job gents.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 10:58:51 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Actually,  4 that I know of.  Some got more.
View Quote

Got a news story about any of them? We've already heard in this thread about some that just got fired. I'm kind of doubting that many (if any at all) actually got 10 years in federal prison just for getting curious and looking up someone's information.

Link Posted: 7/27/2014 10:59:26 AM EDT
[#35]
Nevermind...
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 11:03:37 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Got a news story about any of them? We've already heard in this thread about some that just got fired. I'm kind of doubting that many (if any at all) actually got 10 years in federal prison just for getting curious and looking up someone's information.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How about googling "police officer sentenced ncic"

http://www.justice.gov/usao/txn/PressRelease/2014/FEB2014/feb12Kantzos_sent.html

http://animalnewyork.com/2014/ex-nypd-officer-convicted-stalking-ex-using-fbi-resources/

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/nyc-cases-show-crooked-cops-abuse-fbi-database

Link Posted: 7/27/2014 11:04:24 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

With all your legal experience, probably learned from GD, I'm glad you chimed in to prove JIA wrong.

View Quote

Nobody is proving anybody wrong, he just made an unrealistic statement.

So far the only example I've seen in this thread is a guy getting fired. All of the other ones were selling the information and/or giving it to gangs, or involved in drugs.

So far I haven't seen any evidence of anyone getting 10 years for looking up information out of curiosity. It wouldn't be much of an incentive if it doesn't happen very often.

Link Posted: 7/27/2014 11:05:19 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe they should have made you read the dictionary in the Marine Corps (I'm assuming, since you don't have a tank next to your name)?

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/civilian

ci·vil·ian noun \s?-'vil-y?n also -'vi-y?n
: a person who is not a member of the military or of a police or firefighting force

Let the butthurt flow through you ....
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 11:07:13 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

So far the only example I've seen in this thread is a guy getting fired. All of the other ones were selling the information and/or giving it to gangs, or involved in drugs.
So far I haven't seen any evidence of anyone getting 10 years for looking up information out of curiosity. It wouldn't be much of an incentive if it doesn't happen very often.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

With all your legal experience, probably learned from GD, I'm glad you chimed in to prove JIA wrong.

I put three links to guys sentenced to serve time based on NCIC misuse. I know, googling is hard.

There aren't many people who get the death sentence for murder either. Most criminal cases plead their case down. There are plenty of convictions and repercussions for misuse. Imagine if you were convicted of a minor crime and could never again work in your chosen career field, you lose your retirement, and your job? That's a pretty big penalty.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 11:10:55 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

http://www.justice.gov/usao/txn/PressRelease/2014/FEB2014/feb12Kantzos_sent.html

http://animalnewyork.com/2014/ex-nypd-officer-convicted-stalking-ex-using-fbi-resources/

The first guy got 12 months, and he was trafficking drugs.

The second guy got 4 months and he was breaking into email accounts.

The third link is about a few different cases, but the first one mentioned hasn't been sentenced, and it says he could face up to a year. One of the other ones involved a cop that was going to abduct a woman so somebody could rape and murder her.

So none of those three links really have anything to do with what was claimed.

Link Posted: 7/27/2014 11:13:37 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

The third link is about a few different cases, but the first one mentioned hasn't been sentenced, and it says he could face up to a year. One of the other ones involved a cop that was going to abduct a woman so somebody could rape and murder her.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You have absolutely no reading comprehension skills.

Case 1:

On December 29, 2011, Person A saw a motor vehicle parked near his house and asked Kantzos to “run” the license plate because he was concerned that law enforcement was watching him and he didn’t want to get arrested for trafficking anabolic steroids.  Kantzos, without a legitimate law enforcement purpose, used the computer in his patrol car, while he was on duty, to access the Texas Department of Public Safety’s (DPS) protected computer through TLETS, under the guise of conducting a stolen vehicle investigative inquiry.  His computer inquiry automatically searched for information about that motor vehicle contained in law enforcement computers located in Texas and in other states, such as the NCIC computer.

Case 2:

Authorities also said Vargas “dug up personal information on two cops using the FBI’s National Crime Information Center, and accessed the phone records of another victim.”

Come on people. Be smarter.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 11:15:38 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

I put three links to guys sentenced to serve time based on NCIC misuse. I know, googling is hard.

View Quote

None of those three were about guys getting sentenced to 10 years in federal prison for looking up information out of curiosity. Which is what was being discussed.

You just linked to a bunch of shitbags that committed other crimes as well, and none got 10 years.

Link Posted: 7/27/2014 11:17:52 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Case 1:

On December 29, 2011, Person A saw a motor vehicle parked near his house and asked Kantzos to "run” the license plate because he was concerned that law enforcement was watching him and he didn’t want to get arrested for trafficking anabolic steroids.  Kantzos, without a legitimate law enforcement purpose, used the computer in his patrol car, while he was on duty, to access the Texas Department of Public Safety’s (DPS) protected computer through TLETS, under the guise of conducting a stolen vehicle investigative inquiry.  His computer inquiry automatically searched for information about that motor vehicle contained in law enforcement computers located in Texas and in other states, such as the NCIC computer.

Case 2:

Authorities also said Vargas "dug up personal information on two cops using the FBI’s National Crime Information Center, and accessed the phone records of another victim.”

View Quote

Case 1 was trafficking drugs, not just curious. Case 2 got a whopping four months, and was "hacking" emails. Again, not just curious.  

Go back and try reading the quotes this was in response to (I'm guessing you didn't already), it really isn't that hard.

Link Posted: 7/27/2014 11:19:33 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

None of those three were about guys getting sentenced to 10 years in federal prison for looking up information out of curiosity. Which is what was being discussed.
You just linked to a bunch of shitbags that committed other crimes as well, and none got 10 years.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is the *maximum* sentence. I don't think any of the people I've arrested on a homicide charge have ever been sentenced to death. This is not the reality of how our criminal justice system works ... in all cases.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 11:21:16 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Case 1 was trafficking drugs, not just curious. Case 2 got a whopping four months, and was "hacking" emails. Again, not just curious.  

Go back and try reading the quotes this was in response to (I'm guessing you didn't already), it really isn't that hard.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Case 1:

On December 29, 2011, Person A saw a motor vehicle parked near his house and asked Kantzos to "run” the license plate because he was concerned that law enforcement was watching him and he didn’t want to get arrested for trafficking anabolic steroids.  Kantzos, without a legitimate law enforcement purpose, used the computer in his patrol car, while he was on duty, to access the Texas Department of Public Safety’s (DPS) protected computer through TLETS, under the guise of conducting a stolen vehicle investigative inquiry.  His computer inquiry automatically searched for information about that motor vehicle contained in law enforcement computers located in Texas and in other states, such as the NCIC computer.

Case 2:

Authorities also said Vargas "dug up personal information on two cops using the FBI’s National Crime Information Center, and accessed the phone records of another victim.”

Are you actually arguing that these guys were not charged with violations of NCIC when it plainly states that they were?

I think I'm done here. This is painful.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 11:51:32 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Are you actually arguing that these guys were not charged with violations of NCIC when it plainly states that they were?

I think I'm done here. This is painful.
View Quote

No, that's not what I'm saying at all, I'm saying that they were all charged with more than just the NCIC violations. Do I need to write this out in the form of a pop-up book for you?

I'll break it down, since you can't follow a conversation:

OP said he might get curious and look up someone's information.

Then it was stated that 10 years in federal prison was an incentive not to do that.

Then you post stories about a bunch of people that did a lot more than just look up someone's information, and did it for reasons beyond curiosity (typically in furtherance of other crimes).

If that's not enough, none of those people got 10 years.

If nobody every gets the maximum sentence, then the maximum sentence is not an incentive to not commit the crime. The actual sentence is the incentive there.
Can you find even a single case of someone getting any time in prison for doing nothing more than looking up someone in NCIC out of pure curiosity? That's what was being discussed.

Link Posted: 7/27/2014 11:55:04 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Actually,  4 that I know of.  Some got more.  It's not done for curiosity,  they sell the info to whomever.
View Quote

Nice edit

OP wasn't talking about selling the information though.

Link Posted: 7/27/2014 4:51:28 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why?  You won't believe them.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 7:47:41 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
And yet again mindless haters derail a useful informational thread with bullshit. Good job gents.
View Quote

Well then.
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1649459_Are_LEO_civilians_.html
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 9:57:35 PM EDT
[#50]
just checking in to verify the reason for a poll over in GD. Carry on civilians.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top