Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/23/2014 5:01:03 PM EDT
Where do y'all shoot 50+ yards? Anything closer than American shooting centers on the west side?
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 4:13:31 AM EDT
[#1]
What part of Houston are you in?
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 11:31:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Beltway 8 and i10
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 11:44:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Beltway 8 and i10
View Quote

that rounds it down to the east or west side of Houston.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 2:19:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Hotwells on 290/barker goes out to 100
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 5:33:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Hotwells on 290/barker goes out to 100
View Quote

American Shooting Center in George Bush Park goes out to 500, not my favorite place, but is less "weird" than Hotwells. Carter's Country in Spring goes out to 100 too but I hate that place.

Bayou Rifles near Rosharon goes out to 1000 but it's members only except at matches (come out to a match). Nearby is Baileys House of Guns, but again a place with weird rules.

American Shooting Center is probably your best bet.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 8:43:43 PM EDT
[#6]
I shoot at both Hotwells and American Shooting Centers all the time.   In my opinion, here are the positives and negatives:

Hotwells:
+ less expensive
+ spotting scopes at each shooting position
+ more laid back range officers
+ 25 yard range for rifles
+ decent gunsmith onsite
- cannot go down range to post your own targets
- small number of 25, 50 yard shooting positions
- no rifle range longer than 100 yds
- not much in the way of targets or ammo available

ASC:
+ large number of 50 and 100 yard shooting positions
+ 200, 300, 500, 600 yard rifle ranges with no range officers or range officer BS
+ good selection of targets and ammo onsite
+ post and retrieve your targets every 30 minutes at the 50 / 100 yard ranges or whenever you want to call your own cease fire at the longer ranges
- range officers can be a little anal
- one spotting scope per 10 shooters
- more expensive per gun, per shooter
- you have to be able to put 5 shots in an 8" bullseye at 300 yards (no flyers) to be able to shoot at the 500/600 yard range (not a problem for most competent shooters)
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 8:58:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Me and my buddy wandered out to hot wells this afternoon. Couple guys out there around 6 if it was one of y'all nice to meet ya.  what "weird rules" are we talking about here guys? No rapid fire is kinda boring at hot wells but saves on ammo
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 5:01:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Hotwells is five minutes from my house and apparently, it has changed somewhat.

I did like the spotting scopes and bags unless those have all been shot up!

Not that I need more than 100 yards. I shoot on he 50 yd line when I shoot rifle. That way I don't have to move my crap if I'm shooting pistol as well.

May have to check them out as I think I'll be cutting back on gun clubs.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 4:22:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Get on the wait lists for Bayou Rifles and Pearland Shooting club if you are able to. I may take a year or two to get to your name but eventually you will hear something. It was about a year for Bayou and almost two for PSC but eventually I joined both.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 8:13:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Get on the wait lists for Bayou Rifles and Pearland Shooting club if you are able to. I may take a year or two to get to your name but eventually you will hear something. It was about a year for Bayou and almost two for PSC but eventually I joined both.
View Quote

If you have nothing better to do, try to get on the list for bayou. maybe after 3 years they might get back to you.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 1:04:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Went to Hotwell's 30 or more years ago, and evidently they are still running the range the same assinine way are they?

A) I don't need no pimple faced kid hanging my target half-assed and crooked for me. If you are there to do precision shooting, you will NOT want your target just thrown up by somebody else. Thank  you very much......but I can wipe my own ass.

B) By the end of my visit, I had only a few rounds to fire off, and I wanted to take my target home with me.  I ENDED UP WAITING FOREVER for their cease fire!! I never forgot that......as I walked around outside, sat around inside, and waited and waited for the friggin cease fire to get my damn target. That is what happens when the range crew has to hang your targets for you........... human laziness is such that they don't want to be going out there more often then they have to.  This is not a problem for shooters that shoot a milion holes all over there targets, have had there fun, and then just go home.

The only thing I didn't like about American Shooting centers when I was there a couple of years back, is the safety officers are NAZIS. They demanded I wear glasses......and I prefer not to. Yea, call me wild and crazy, I also don't wear a bicycle helmet.

So.....I go to Carter's up in Spring.....which is a good compromise. However, avoid Carter's on weekends, and go there ONLY during the week if you can play hookie from work. It's a terrible place on weekends.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top