Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 7/23/2014 3:45:30 PM EDT
Hello again Texas! After a slight 6 month delay due to a nightmare of a real estate agent we are finally on our way.. Move out date Aug 18..

Mrs.InkyNwG and I will also be in the Austin area this weekend.. We arrive Friday around noon and leave Monday morning..

We are going to rent for a bit first.. Due to our house not selling yet we and not wanting to dive too far into things before we write a check of a house, we are going to be renting hopefully in the Canyon Lake area..

We have narrowed it down to the the area around Canyon Lake up towards Wimberly between 281 and 35..  Though that depends on how things go with the school district / education available..

If anyone has a modest rental property or small house we would love to know. Looking to spend around $1,200'ish a month max for rent..

If there is a property we really fall in love with this weekend we will also inquire about a rent to own type thing until our sale is final.

You guys have been more than helpful in the past, and greatly generous.. I still apologize for not getting to meet members who extended some great hospitality.. Thank you again.

We will be looking at properties / schools and such for most of our time.. But will have plenty of free time as well. We are staying in Austin on first Just south of the congress bridge (IIRC)..   We enjoy the Austin nightlife, anyone is welcome to join us!

Anything anybody has to add would be great.. Things about the area, potential issues ext.. I'll keep this thread posted during our visit, I'm sure ill have questions that getting an honest answer for will be tricky from a real estate agent / seller.

Prepair for yet another inky invasion!'

Thx guys, really mean it.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 5:03:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Glad you're one step closer to moving to a great location.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 5:45:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 7:28:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Well come on over. Glad things are finally moving in the right direction.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 7:42:47 PM EDT
[#4]
I start vacation saturday morning.

might have to drive down to say hi.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 9:26:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Hello again Texas! After a slight 6 month delay due to a nightmare of a real estate agent we are finally on our way.. Move out date Aug 18..

Mrs.InkyNwG and I will also be in the Austin area this weekend.. We arrive Friday around noon and leave Monday morning..

We are going to rent for a bit first.. Due to our house not selling yet we and not wanting to dive too far into things before we write a check of a house, we are going to be renting hopefully in the Canyon Lake area..

We have narrowed it down to the the area around Canyon Lake up towards Wimberly between 281 and 35..  Though that depends on how things go with the school district / education available..

If anyone has a modest rental property or small house we would love to know. Looking to spend around $1,200'ish a month max for rent..

If there is a property we really fall in love with this weekend we will also inquire about a rent to own type thing until our sale is final.

You guys have been more than helpful in the past, and greatly generous.. I still apologize for not getting to meet members who extended some great hospitality.. Thank you again.

We will be looking at properties / schools and such for most of our time.. But will have plenty of free time as well. We are staying in Austin on first Just south of the congress bridge (IIRC)..   We enjoy the Austin nightlife, anyone is welcome to join us!

Anything anybody has to add would be great.. Things about the area, potential issues ext.. I'll keep this thread posted during our visit, I'm sure ill have questions that getting an honest answer for will be tricky from a real estate agent / seller.

Prepair for yet another inky invasion!'

Thx guys, really mean it.
View Quote

So your inkys from CA moving to Austin..  hope you left the lib/democrap back in calafornstan enjoy texas..smiley
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 9:29:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Welcome to TX!
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 9:43:15 PM EDT
[#7]
It gets better.. Not only is my wife a dirty inky with pink, purple and blue hair, she is also bisexual...

Dispite the  outside appearance and  lefty titles her little 5'1" self will be the first one to stand up and tell the libs to collectively eat a dik..

No worries about us.. Though we can infeltrate their lines and know their coded language..

Haunting a can be arranged as well..
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 11:36:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It gets better.. Not only is my wife a dirty inky with pink, purple and blue hair, she is also bisexual...

Dispite the  outside appearance and  lefty titles her little 5'1" self will be the first one to stand up and tell the libs to collectively eat a dik..

No worries about us.. Though we can infeltrate their lines and know their coded language..

View Quote

You have my attention.... This isn't general but pictures might be required for a statement like that one.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 11:40:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Start Here

And continue for about 20-30 pages..
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 11:56:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Welcome, just wash your hands and don't bring in any CA cooties.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 4:10:37 AM EDT
[#11]

I was wondering if you ever made the move.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 4:31:39 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I was wondering if you ever made the move.
View Quote

What was supposed to be a quick thing at the beginning of summer has turned into a nightmare..  We had a shit for brains realtor who almost seemed to actively try and screw us over. It was bad.. Whatever, her contract is over and we have a new lady who has already done 1000x more than out old realtor.. Going to do some minor work and relist the house once we are out next month.. My parents live just a few min away so they can take over the showings and such.. Though without us there they don't have to do much of anything..

I hate renting and I really hate having to move twice.. But it most likely is the best idea.. Things do come up / not go as expected.

So we will rent for awhile until our place here sells.. In that time we will have a chane to weigh a few different options.. Including building.

We can buy a lot and build a modular for a pretty substantial savings..  And the home they have now are pretty amazing as are the build and finishing out times. Something we are seriously considering.

This is the area we really have our eye on.. If anyone is in the area and has any tips,warnings, suggestions whatever, please feel free to let us know.

We have hearing things about some schools being great and some being not so great.. That is the main focus of our trip before finding a rental property..

Any help is greatly appreciated..

And if anyone would like to try and meet up either in Austin or down in the area we are looking please let me know, I'll get you our phone #'s..

Thx all, we are excited. - NwG - Nate & Mrs.InkyNwG - Leana...
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 4:52:47 AM EDT
[#13]
Finally!

Welcome, neighbor!

My nephew went to Canyon Lake HS until last year. Pretty good school! Rebecca Creek elementary school (just of FM306) is good too, my niece went there. San Marcos has the Texas State University, UTSA is on the north side of San Antonio.

We are home from 12/19 to 1/5, lets hook up for a beer or two. Mrs. mike-munich & I are dirty inkies too.

Our house is at the X

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 4:55:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Forgot to add: if you want to buy in this area, do it soon. Prices are going up...
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 5:10:08 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Forgot to add: if you want to buy in this area, do it soon. Prices are going up...
View Quote

We will be buying ASAP.. Looking for 10+ acres with or without a house..  We like hills and trees and prefer the lot not be thinned out too much of flat as a pancake. Of course prime shooting locations are a huge plus.. As is water on the property or at least somewhere I can dig a good size pond for the kids..

So if anyone sees a pair of dirty inkies slow rolling through your hood, please don't shoot us.. Our intentions are more along the likes of "shut up and take my money!!"...

We shall see how Mrs.InkyNwG's new hair colors are received.. I just finished coloring it for her.. Purple, blue and black.. It's a little "loud" with the fresh color, but holy shit it looks sexy!

Hope to see or talk to you all this weekend or in mid August when we move out with the rest of the clan.. (2 daughters 3 & 8, 4 kittez and 1 4 pound poo-shit dag)
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 5:20:24 AM EDT
[#16]
I'm sure ya'll find something nice in the area. We love the lake (need to get me a boat one of these days...), or tubing on the Guadelupe.

http://www.hillcountrylistings.com/search/details/xhk/2/

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 2:03:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Be EXTREMELY careful about the 100 flood zones.  You need to RESEARCH this area and look back about 15 years to see there have been 2 major floods that hit that area hard.  Low ground might be cheaper if you are willing to gamble.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 2:51:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Low ground and floor plains are specifically what we are trying to avoid..

Looking for the "home on a hill" type setting so I don't have to worry about gravity with all the BS my family produces.. (At least they look cute doing it..)

We are meeting the realtor on Friday to go over the game plan and start looking. We have been talking to him and his office for about 6 months now. They have been good to us so far. They are going to help us with a rental, the final property and buying and or building our house.. Well, as long as they are compatant.. There is an excessive amount of derP in the realtor pool..

We will see though.. You never know, we could find "the house" in a completely different area.. But we have been directed to the area we are looking by many.

See you guys tomorrow!
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 4:31:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Yeah, elevation is your friend, especially with all the flash floods we have.

You might wanna get a 4x4 truck and sell your Prius if you want to do the 10 acre ranch thing.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 5:00:18 PM EDT
[#20]
They wouldn't allow me the privilege of buying a Prius.. Turns out my wiener is entirely too large to qualify..

I enjoy the alternative vehicle..

Tho that one isn't coming to Tx, giving it to my brother and going to buy a truck when I get there.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 6:15:30 PM EDT
[#21]
I grew up in that circle on the map and still live and work here. If you have any questions about the NB, SM, Wimberley area post them up and I'll try to help.

There are tons of properties in Wimberley for sale that fit your description, just stay out of city limits to avoid government issues, also avoid Woodcreek. West side of San Marcos going out RR12 is nice. I don't like Canyon Lake living, but some people do. I personally think the area between Wimberley and San Marcos is going to be hot property in the next 20 years. West of NB going out 46 also meets the description for what you said you are looking for.

edit: if you like country living and Austin nightlife look in the Driftwood area as well.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 7:09:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Welcome home.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 7:14:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Thank you.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 7:21:59 PM EDT
[#24]
the area you're going into isn't the "country"; there's alot of ranches cut up into smaller tracts, and alot
of folks move out there & want it to be "just like in the city" where they left;i.e.- most will bitch about you
shooting on your property, even though it may be legal.

I know for a fact Comal County is shotgun only for deer hunting. When you visit, remember it's still the tourist
season (around Canyon Lake) till mid to late august. the great thing is the Guadalupe River is stocked with
trout in the winter & you'll be in the middle of all that.

It's real rocky & a garden will be work; my buddy is living at the south end of the lake right now & sez
land prices are good; check the website LandsofTexas to get an idea; you can segragate by county,
size of tract, bare or with house. I know you have an agent but all the information you have is to
your advantage.

If you want a good garden, place to shoot (on your land) and even possibly hunting on your own property,
go east of I-35.It's a diffrent area, but prices are cheaper & it's more geared to homesteading.

i lived all over kali for 20 years; I don't really know what you want, but things will be diffrent; act like
you're from here, cause otherwise some folks may treat you unfairly (until they get to know you)
just stating your from Kali.

good luck & welcome; you're ok in my book, just cause yer an arfcomer

eta; reread your first post; don't worry about schools; homeschool (if you can live on one income)
we sold our house in Livermore in 3 days for +$50,000 over asking (2005) and my wife has been
working at home for the last 8 years.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 10:14:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Start Here

And continue for about 20-30 pages..
View Quote

Welcome to Texas!
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 1:37:36 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
the area you're going into isn't the "country"; there's alot of ranches cut up into smaller tracts, and alot
of folks move out there & want it to be "just like in the city" where they left;i.e.- most will bitch about you
shooting on your property, even though it may be legal.
View Quote

Not to rain on your parade, but the above described is EXACTLY what you're going to find in "cute/pretty" areas anywhere near big cities (For example: between Austin and San Antonio). Folks move from the overpopulated, nasty concrete shitholes so they can say they live in the country, then proceed to clear and mow their entire 5 or 10 acre lot as though it were a yard, and bitch if you party, play loud music and/or shoot.

That's why the further west and deeper in to ranch country you get, the more people tend to mind their own business, but then you're further from the big cities and "entertainment". Kinda hard to have your cake and eat it sometimes...
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 2:38:38 AM EDT
[#27]
We have studied the issue with neighbors and what the future hold for different areas.

We are making sure to build / buy ourselves as much security from bitchy neighbors and future developments.

Looking at properties that are along or back dead space and unusable land and things of that nature.

10 acres in our minimum, willing to purchase a fair bit more. Be it at put house or a lot a bit further out for recreational activities.

We would like to be a bit further out, but we also have to consider our real estate investment and do our best to make sure we make something off the property by the time we check out..  

Access to our nightlife is secondary.. We like to party in the city but its not that big of a deal.. Schools and things for the girls are the most important.

If we can find what we are looking for in an area that should have a good increase in property value we will jump on it. We have time to look. We also figured somewhere kind of in between Austin and S/A would give us and later the girls the most access to anything they may need.

We haven't ruled out the areas north or east of Austin either.. We don't like the landscape as much though..

We want the trees.. Lots of big trees and things left they way they came.. The cleared and thinned lots make me sad.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 3:37:07 AM EDT
[#28]
going to buy a truck when I get there
View Quote

The words I wanted to hear.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 4:48:26 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

She will fit in perfectly in Austin.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 2:37:10 PM EDT
[#30]
We are in Austin..

Will be with the realtor for awhile this afternoon then figure out something to do.

Oddly, the weather is nicer here than at home currently..
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 2:43:38 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
We are in Austin..

Will be with the realtor for awhile this afternoon then figure out something to do.

View Quote

100 with an 88% relative humidity is better?  Did you live in Death Valley?
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 4:51:32 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
We are in Austin..

Nope, we live across from the beach in LA and usually get a nice cool breeze.. Usually when it gets real hot in LA the winds change direction and blow all the shit air back over the coast..

Just doesn't seem that bad today..  I lived in Phoenix for a few years. Hot but rarely humid.

Join our own weird kind on south congress right now..  Have to meet the realtor in Wimberly tomorrow morning but not real plans until then.

Have found a few parties and events we may attend through some friends we met in January..  Not sure yet.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 5:52:45 PM EDT
[#33]
Lol..

She bought it when I told her there are angry rattle snakes in the trees.. (Our cicadas sound different)
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 9:11:17 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Lol..

She bought it when I told her there are angry rattle snakes in the trees.. (Our cicadas sound different)
View Quote

That's the neo-Texan in ya coming out.  
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 11:59:10 PM EDT
[#35]
You're going to scar the poor child with stories like that. She's going to be to scared to step into the woods.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 12:06:46 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
You're going to scar the poor child with stories like that. She's going to be to scared to step into the woods.
View Quote

Yeah. Tell her rattlers don't climb trees- those are copperheads but they don't have rattles so she would never know they were right over her head.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 12:10:58 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

It was Mrs.InkyNwG.. The kids are in CA with my parents for the weekend..

(I don't think my kids would have believed me...)
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 12:24:21 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Meh... What I wrote still works. .
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 12:24:31 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tell 'em that, since this is Texas, they will each be issued a pony upon arrival.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 12:25:50 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Tell 'em that, since this is Texas, they will each be issued a pony upon arrival.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How else would they get to school?
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 12:39:36 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

An pre-held expectation that I'm going to have to crush one of these days.. Soon..
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 12:51:41 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just like we did- walk, uphill both ways, in 100* snow.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 12:53:12 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

An pre-held expectation that I'm going to have to crush one of these days.. Soon..
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Get a couple and put them on the ranch you are going to buy.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 12:59:02 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

To be mean, he could lease space to people to keep their horses.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 4:09:01 AM EDT
[#45]
Have you told 'em about the water moccasins yet? There is a damn cottonmouth in every pond...

We had to eat our pony on the wagon trail to Texas, so I had to walk to school. 50 miles. One way. In the desert. In 120 degree weather...
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 9:23:22 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

DO NOT DO THIS!
You will regret it.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 6:35:26 PM EDT
[#47]
Good day..

Rental property 99% secured other than the paperwork.. No worries there. Nice small place on the south side of canyon lake.. On the lake.

Retal property was our main concern for this trip.. Something in Comal ISD was our first choice.  

Now we will have tempory home base while we figure out the house / property and building a house. And can get the girls into school while we figure it out.

I'm wondering how Jack Bauer, Pew and the other cats are going to react to having 13 deer (that we counted) on the otherwise of the window.. They have never seen a deer before..

This should give us a good chance to figure out what is good / bad and where we really want to be without a time crunch.

Link Posted: 7/26/2014 8:35:30 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Good day..

Rental property 99% secured other than the paperwork.. No worries there. Nice small place on the south side of canyon lake.. On the lake.

Retal property was our main concern for this trip.. Something in Comal ISD was our first choice.  

Now we will have tempory home base while we figure out the house / property and building a house. And can get the girls into school while we figure it out.

I'm wondering how Jack Bauer, Pew and the other cats are going to react to having 13 deer (that we counted) on the otherwise of the window.. They have never seen a deer before..

This should give us a good chance to figure out what is good / bad and where we really want to be without a time crunch.
http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h191/lsimmons12345/image-2189.jpg

View Quote

Nice
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 1:17:27 AM EDT
[#49]
Welcome from a fellow inky.  lol
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 8:41:04 AM EDT
[#50]
Startzville? Watch out for the meth heads down there.

We'll probably run into you guys at H-E-B over at Bulverde crossing.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top