Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/22/2014 7:34:52 AM EDT
Back when I got my CCW license a thousand years ago, you were required to tell an officer you were armed in a traffic stop or whatever.

Seems like that legal requirement has changed but I don't know for sure??
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 7:40:54 AM EDT
[#1]
You are asked to provide both your Drivers License and CHL at the time you are asked for ID.  If asked if you are carrying, you are required to divulge that information by TX law.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 7:44:00 AM EDT
[#2]
When i took the class earlier this year the instructor told us to do it anyways but didnt make it sound like a requirement. But either way everytime ive been pulled over i was asked if i had any weapons on me so it dont really matter if its required you would probly end up tellin him anyways
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 7:48:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You are asked to provide both your Drivers License and CHL at the time you are asked for ID.  If asked if you are carrying, you are required to divulge that information by TX law.
View Quote

How can they ask for your chl if they dont know you have one just because youre asked for id dont mean you have to show your chl but if he asks to see a chl and you have one then you have to show him

Eta: i might be misreading the grammer you used please forgive me if thats the case i did go to public school after all
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 7:49:58 AM EDT
[#4]
You still have to, the law just changed in that your license won't be suspended for 90 days for failure to display your license.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 7:51:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

How can they ask for your chl if they dont know you have one just because youre asked for id dont mean you have to show your chl but if he asks to see a chl and you have one then you have to show him

Eta: i might be misreading the grammer you used please forgive me if thats the case i did go to public school after all
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sec. 411.205.  REQUIREMENT TO DISPLAY LICENSE.  If a license holder is carrying a handgun on or about the license holder's person when a magistrate or a peace officer demands that the license holder display identification, the license holder shall display both the license holder's driver's license or identification certificate issued by the department and the license holder's handgun license.

So they don't pull you over and say "please show me your driver license and CHL", they just ask for ID and you are required to show them your CHL if you are carrying.  But if you fail to show, based on previous questions around this, if/when they run your driver license, they will see you have a CHL, ask why you failed to display your CHL.  There's just no longer a 90 day suspension for failure to display.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:47:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Simple Version.

If I get pulled over, I give Officer BOTH drivers license & CHL so there are no unpleasant surprises.

They appreciate your being up front and that can may be of help to you in regards to the reason you were pulled over...

Police are People Too and they appreciate honesty and knowing who they are dealing with.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:52:16 AM EDT
[#7]
You're still "required," but not doing so isn't a crime and there's no penalty. It's up to you if you think telling them is going to help or hurt.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:47:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Intent of law change was so CHL did not have to tell, just like non-CHL do not have to tell., just like LEO do not have to tell, etc.

In typical obfuscation, they poorly wrote the law to do that.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:54:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Simple Version.

If I get pulled over, I give Officer BOTH drivers license & CHL so there are no unpleasant surprises.

They appreciate your being up front and that can may be of help to you in regards to the reason you were pulled over...

Police are People Too and they appreciate honesty and knowing who they are dealing with.
View Quote

This.  They are going to know you have a chl after running your DL anyways, so there's no reason to go secret squirrel about having a CHL.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 11:14:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

This.  They are going to know you have a chl after running your DL anyways, so there's no reason to go secret squirrel about having a CHL.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Simple Version.

Yep. No reason to keep it a secret because once I run your DL, it'll tell me you'll have a CHL. I can't speak for every LEO, but with me, CHL holders usually get off with a warning unless its a serious moving violation or if your ass. Every CHL holder I've pulled over has always been respectful and cool.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 12:13:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Anyone knows if the same applies with a Game Warden when fishing? Either on the bank or when kayaking.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 12:16:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Anyone knows if the same applies with a Game Warden when fishing? Either on the bank or when kayaking.
View Quote

Believe Affirmative, game wardens are peace officers, so yes.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 12:40:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Theres no penalty if you don't.  But law still states you have to, for some reason.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 12:42:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Yep. No reason to keep it a secret because once I run your DL, it'll tell me you'll have a CHL. I can't speak for every LEO, but with me, CHL holders usually get off with a warning unless its a serious moving violation or if your ass. Every CHL holder I've pulled over has always been respectful and cool.
View Quote

Same. I can only think of one person that told me about their CHL and I still wrote them. Most of the time I do not even make the trip back to my squad before setting them loose.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:43:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Simple Version.

I get pulled over from time to time. Volunteering both has made these interactions much less expensive than when I used to get pulled over pre CHL.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 5:30:14 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What if you're hunting on your own property? ok bad example

What if you're hunting on your own property, carrying concealed, and no CHL?
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 8:01:49 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol that's a twisty one.

Since you're on your own property, you can carry concealed without a CHL.  Now, since you don't have a CHL, 411.205 does not apply to you, so you don't need to display your non-existent license or reveal that you're carrying.

You can of course also open carry in this same scenario.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 2:21:49 PM EDT
[#18]
But they won't know automatically if you have one from another state with a reciprocal agreement.  I have one from Utah.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 4:32:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Showing my CHL, I believe, has prevented me from getting a ticket a few times. Seems cops have a modicum of respect for people who can pass an FBI background check.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:08:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Same. I can only think of one person that told me about their CHL and I still wrote them. Most of the time I do not even make the trip back to my squad before setting them loose.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This. Your not the droids I'm looking for.

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 4:12:29 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Showing my CHL, I believe, has prevented me from getting a ticket a few times. Seems cops have a modicum of respect for people who can pass an FBI background check.
View Quote

I'm fairly sure having a CHL prevented me from getting a ticket earlier this year.  Hadn't been pulled over for three decades prior to that...
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 7:49:24 AM EDT
[#22]
I think I have been pulled over once since I got mine. 2 women cops in my hometown, 1 was a trainee. I showed my CHL and they both freaked. I wasn't carrying and told them. Still got a ticket.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 8:08:59 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I think I have been pulled over once since I got mine. 2 women cops in my hometown, 1 was a trainee. I showed my CHL and they both freaked. I wasn't carrying and told them. Still got a ticket.
View Quote

Where I was from a woman police officer was unheard of to the point where you would just not think of that happening.

Our neighborhood here does the "Night Out" to meet local PD/FD/EMS and we had two lady officers there. They probably thought I was retarded at first the way I looked at them.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:51:56 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I'm fairly sure having a CHL prevented me from getting a ticket earlier this year.  Hadn't been pulled over for three decades prior to that...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And you would be mistaken.  If you deserve a ticket, you're going to get that ticket, doesn't matter if you have a CHL.  Now if they pull you over on a fishing expedition, then you have a better chance of not getting issued a ticket, which was most likely not their intent in the first place, just an excuse to make contact.  The times I have asked this question to LE, they have laughed and said they had just arrested a CHL.

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 11:02:24 AM EDT
[#25]
The one time I was stopped I got out my insurance card, DL and CHL. I rolled down my window and put them between my fingers like a magician holds a playing card or similar, each one individually between different fingers. I put both hands on the door frame palms up. When the officer walked up I said something like "Hi officer, you probably want some or all of these.". He could see from both hands palms up I was no threat to him. He took them and asked if I was carrying. I told him yes, what and how I was carrying it. He told me to sit tight for a minute, went to his car, returned a minute later, handed me my stuff and told me to have a good day and drive carefully. If I were ever stopped again I would do the same thing.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 6:39:12 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I got my first moving violation ticket ever (17 years!) for going 80 in a 75. I showed my CHL with my DL, the officer asked if I had a gun, very briefly looked in my purse at it, and proceeded to write the ticket.  

There were at least 3 cars from that Hillsboro PD pulling people over for speeding on their city's 2 miles of I-45 I-35 that day...

ETA: I messed up where I was...

Link Posted: 7/25/2014 3:21:39 AM EDT
[#27]
Many officers and agencies tolerance decreases to 5 mph once the speed limit reaches 70.  

Link Posted: 7/25/2014 3:25:21 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

And you would be mistaken.  If you deserve a ticket, you're going to get that ticket, doesn't matter if you have a CHL.  Now if they pull you over on a fishing expedition, then you have a better chance of not getting issued a ticket, which was most likely not their intent in the first place, just an excuse to make contact.  The times I have asked this question to LE, they have laughed and said they had just arrested a CHL.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Once again, in matters involving law enforcement you are wrong.  

And you little story is a lie.  
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 4:44:36 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Simple Version.

View Quote

This
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 9:49:11 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I got my first moving violation ticket ever (17 years!) for going 80 in a 75. I showed my CHL with my DL, the officer asked if I had a gun, very briefly looked in my purse at it, and proceeded to write the ticket.  

There were at least 3 cars from that PD pulling people over for speeding on their city's 2 miles of I-45 that day...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There were at least 3 cars from that PD pulling people over for speeding on their city's 2 miles of I-45 that day...

2 miles of I45?  Would that happen to be Shenandoah, TX?
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 3:39:22 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Since you love to single me out with your silly accusations, please explain where I lied.  Or are you going to keep throwing out your usual personal attacks with no proof?  You lack class.  When I call somebody a liar, I have evidence to support my claim.  Do you have any?  NO.  Were you with me during my conversations?  NO.  

Facts are, CHLs get speeding tickets EVERY DAY and I think this notion that having a CHL to avoid a ticket is plausible in some cases but not the general rule when it comes to traffic enforcement.   Also, facts are that some officers are assigned to patrol and will pull over suspicious vehicles.  When the driver is able to display that they are not doing anything wrong (besides some minor traffic infraction) a CHL is a good gauge that some LE (not all) would use.  

The last encounter I had, I had no plates and no proof of insurance which the officer was unable to verify.  He let me go because he said words to the effect "that I looked like a good guy" in which I asked if it was because of my CHL and he laughed and said he had just come from a call where he arrested a CHL.  I'm convinced he didn't write me a ticket because he was on patrol duty and didn't have a ticket book, not because I paid money to get a CHL.  I'm sure pulling up my DL and looking at my criminal record was much more influential than my CHL.

Explain again why you are former LE?

Link Posted: 7/26/2014 11:54:52 AM EDT
[#32]
Meh, I have been pulled over several times and given tickets while having a CHL and carrying. Doesn't seem to change their minds.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 12:56:54 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Meh, I have been pulled over several times and given tickets while having a CHL and carrying. Doesn't seem to change their minds.
View Quote

In before you're called a liar...

Link Posted: 7/27/2014 1:41:57 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I couldn't remember, so I had to go look at it.  I was wrong, it was 2 miles of I-35, Hillsboro.

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 10:40:39 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Patiently waiting for an explanation on how I'm a liar.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 4:00:28 PM EDT
[#36]
Plenty of people bickering here. No one on this thread has any basis to call anyone a liar. To do such is less than intelligent.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 1:55:55 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I even had a friendly convo with one of the officers that wrote me a citation about how he felt it was good that people got their chl and carried.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 3:53:34 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
But they won't know automatically if you have one from another state with a reciprocal agreement.  I have one from Utah.
View Quote

Mines from Florida
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 12:28:00 AM EDT
[#39]
Unfortunately, yes. Law requires you to show your CHL. Declare a firearm? Im not sure.

Luckily, and rightfully so, there is no punishment if you do don't tell them you have a CHL.

Not sure about no telling about a firearm.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top