Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 10:24:26 AM EDT
[#1]

Nice to see that.
There were sightings around Del Rio few years ago.
Probably came up from Mexico.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 10:35:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Looks skinny. Gonna get hungry.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 5:16:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Oso negro
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 4:16:56 AM EDT
[#4]
When I was a kid in the 60-70's there was talk of small black bears on the Brazos River near Rosharon near the Ramsey unit

I had a freind who was fishing the river in about 78 and he claimed to have seen one.

I dont know why we dont have bears all over east Texas and many other areas.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 7:32:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
When I was a kid in the 60-70's there was talk of small black bears on the Brazos River near Rosharon near the Ramsey unit

I had a freind who was fishing the river in about 78 and he claimed to have seen one.

I dont know why we dont have bears all over east Texas and many other areas.
View Quote

They were all killed out long ago. 1880's?
I thought East Texas was starting to see a few regularly?
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 7:37:37 AM EDT
[#6]
I know that in the 60,s, there were black bear in the Big Thicket.
Would not be surprised if they still were.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 8:21:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Sasquatch ate them all.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 8:41:36 AM EDT
[#8]
This was taken just outside of my uncles property in Duval county recently.

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 8:56:56 AM EDT
[#9]

I saw a bear in eastern Nacogdoches county back in 1989. me and my step bro only had a .22 and a 410 with birdshot, ran back to the house to get the old mans 357 and 308, and he scoffed at letting 2 teenage boys out in the woods alone with that much fire power.

he called up the game warden and the game warden said they would get random reports of bears, and if we killed it he would like to see it.  we never saw it again.

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 10:36:26 AM EDT
[#10]
That's about 15 minutes from my families ranch . I hate bears.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:26:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

They are still here in the Big Thicket, though most all were killed off by over-hunting around the turn of the century. We've found scat and claw marks on trees and the ground while hiking here close to our house.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 8:40:19 AM EDT
[#12]
Saw  them in Ingram when I was a kid,  digging in the trash.   You tend to have one spotted every once  in a while.  I don't think there is a stable population, more like loners passing thru.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:11:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

They are still here in the Big Thicket, though most all were killed off by over-hunting around the turn of the century. We've found scat and claw marks on trees and the ground while hiking here close to our house.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where are you located at Pawdog?

I've got 2 1/2 yrs. left till i move back there from DFW.
Can't freakin wait!

ETA: If i get laid off,it will be much sooner.Not going to look for work here again.

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 11:13:30 AM EDT
[#14]
When my sister's husband(ex) worked for TP&W in Beaumont/PA there were reports of black bear in one of the areas bordering Louisiana. Not sure they ever actually saw it or got a picture of it.

My sister once claimed to see a black panther run out in front of her in town just after she turned 16, so I was cautious about how much credibility I'd put in some of these stories, but the pics help.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 5:39:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Can't freakin wait!

EAT: If i get laid off,it will be much sooner.Not going to look for work here again.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can't freakin wait!

EAT: If i get laid off,it will be much sooner.Not going to look for work here again.

Village Mills, in Wildwood.  Been here one year next month.  Great retirement location and some nice trails. We just need a range in the area.

Link Posted: 7/26/2014 1:15:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
When my sister's husband(ex) worked for TP&W in Beaumont/PA there were reports of black bear in one of the areas bordering Louisiana. Not sure they ever actually saw it or got a picture of it.

My sister once claimed to see a black panther run out in front of her in town just after she turned 16, so I was cautious about how much credibility I'd put in some of these stories, but the pics help.
View Quote

Someone that lives near where my grandma used to live has a picture of a medium sized black cougar on their property. The picture is clear, no doubt what it is. It borders a swamp land filled with deer and hogs, so it has plenty of food. I would think you have a better chance of seeing a black cougar than a tan one since the black stands out more.

I only personally know of one person who has seen a cougar in the wild. They are around here, but due to their nature sightings are not exactly common.

Last year someone reported a jaguar sighting in Panola County. That's an interesting one, not sure if I believe it. Plausible? Technically its possible, but I doubt it.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 7:40:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 10:10:22 PM EDT
[#18]
I have pictures and video of a black bear I took back in February 2014 in Big Bend NP.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top