Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/11/2014 12:11:12 PM EDT
Potential job move opportunity there.  Looks ok from what Google can tell me but would like to hear from folks who actually live there.  Pros? Cons?

Link Posted: 7/11/2014 12:42:19 PM EDT
[#1]
I miss living there. Great place, plenty to do. Restaurants, entertainment, concerts, bars, etc and tons of them.

It is a major college town and thus has heavy traffic when school is in session. There are tens of thousands of college kids running around. Not sure if that is a pro or a con for you. But there will be cheap housing to be found.

Stay away from Bryan.

edit: City has some weird laws on the books due to the students, such as specific housing ordinances etc, but if you aren't a student it shouldn't really affect you much. Just look into that kind of thing first. Also, when a home football game is going on, just plan not to do errands that day. Rich city, plenty of public transportation, services, etc.
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 12:50:59 PM EDT
[#2]

Grew up there.
Have family and friends there.
Great place to live.
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 5:01:21 PM EDT
[#3]
I grew up there and went to TAMU. Definitely a great place to live. Good schools. Good place to raise a family. You can get across town in 10 mins unless there is a football game. I wouldn't hesitate to move back there myself. I'd personally look for a house on a few acres just outside of town if it's within your budget but there are a lot of nice neighborhoods throughout town. Don't rule Bryan out completely. Your dollar can go a little further there for housing but you'd really need to do your homework to make sure you are buying/renting in a good location. If you have kids, sick with CS for quality of schools.

Quoted:

Grew up there.
Great place to live.
View Quote

Same here. Which highschool? Consol class of 1995 myself.
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 7:32:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Lived there 6 years but moved for a new career.  Miss CS. Good people, good town, great university.
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 7:44:27 PM EDT
[#5]
I lived there for about 18 months after I graduated. I left for the job market in Dallas. Not saying there aren't jobs there, but if you're a professional in a specific area, there just isn't much to pick from. Either you work for the university or for one specific company.

But if you do service type work, then I'd imagine there's a lot more opportunity.
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 7:57:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I grew up there and went to TAMU. Definitely a great place to live. Good schools. Good place to raise a family. You can get across town in 10 mins unless there is a football game. I wouldn't hesitate to move back there myself. I'd personally look for a house on a few acres just outside of town if it's within your budget but there are a lot of nice neighborhoods throughout town. Don't rule Bryan out completely. Your dollar can go a little further there for housing but you'd really need to do your homework to make sure you are buying/renting in a good location. If you have kids, sick with CS for quality of schools.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Grew up there.
Great place to live.

Same
Class of 80
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 3:16:07 PM EDT
[#7]
The only reason I don't live there now is I like my costal fishing. If you can immerse yourself and embrace A&M in all of its diverse facets you won't lack any friends or activities.

Link Posted: 7/12/2014 8:53:10 PM EDT
[#8]
I like living there.  It's a college town, which means the summer and December are the best times to be there because 40,000 stupid drivers leave town.  Other than that, there's stuff to do, places to eat, and Houston and Austin aren't too far away for a weekend trip.  The farther South you go in CS the nicer the area becomes; Bryan has good parts and bad parts.  Drive around the area before you choose to rent or buy a place in either town and make sure it's a nice neighborhood and, if possible, that it's not full of loud students.
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 4:34:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Went to A&M and it took me another 11 years to finaly move when I got out.  Great place to live with many upsides..

Biggest downside (maybe the only one) is that overall, wages are depressed in the Bryan/College Station area.

Between kids working their way through college, spouses that have already graduated working to pay for their husband/wife to get their degree, and grad students, many jobs don't pay very well.  Think MBAs working ad bank tellers, petroleum engineers working in hourly gas industry jobs, and accountants checking at 7-11.
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 4:42:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Required to like Aggies and their ways if you plan on living there.  They are a fickle crowd.
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 5:05:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks all for the input.  I'm not quite a days drive from there so I might take a long weekend and look around.  Work location is on the southeast side of town not too far from the high school according to google maps.  I'm probably going to look in that area for starters.  No definite word on the move just yet but work is paying relocation expenses if I take the position.  That's a big plus to all of this plus it's a promotion.  So far I can see no negatives to the move.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 2:58:05 AM EDT
[#12]
I lived in college station for about 4 years, while my wife went to school. I would say the town is great, but only when school is not in session. It was horrible when the students were there. Long waits, heavy traffic on TX ave and parts of 2818 and god forbid if any school function was going on. I always tried to leave town when there was a football game, parents day or ring dance. Housing was high becasue of all the students flush with parents cash.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 5:15:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:... I would say the town is great, but only when school is not in session. It was horrible when the students were there. Long waits, heavy traffic on TX ave and parts of 2818 and god forbid if any school function was going on. I always tried to leave town when there was a football game, parents day or ring dance.
View All Quotes
Quoted:... I would say the town is great, but only when school is not in session. It was horrible when the students were there. Long waits, heavy traffic on TX ave and parts of 2818 and god forbid if any school function was going on. I always tried to leave town when there was a football game, parents day or ring dance.

I would say the town is awesome in the summer and fine the rest of the year, but it really depends on where you live and where you work.  If you have to battle students to and from work, the traffic will be awful most of the year.  If you avoid students, the town is pretty great when there's not a football game.

Quoted:
Housing was high becasue of all the students flush with parents cash.

This depends upon the area.  For two years I paid $500 and then $550 for a two bedroom apartment (one bedroom, one mancave; that's $550 to live there by myself!), but I lived in Bryan off of the bus routes.  My first two years I lived on a bus route and paid $500 for a one bedroom apartment.  On the same note, the farther you get from a bus route, the quieter the neighborhood seems to be.  Check the bus routes to get an idea of where the students live.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 8:29:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Grew up here and still live here (Consol class of 05).

Good town, although as long as I've been here I'm starting to get the itch to move somewhere else. Just need something new.

I concur with what everyone else has said although there seems to have been an uptick in crime lately.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 11:29:35 AM EDT
[#15]
Moved here (to College Station from another state)  in 1996. Tried 8 months of Dallas in 2003-2004. Missed College Station and came back. Plan on staying here. Great place!
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 5:38:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Moved here (to College Station from another state)  in 1996. Tried 8 months of Dallas in 2003-2004. Missed College Station and came back. Plan on staying here. Great place!
View Quote

I like your restaurant.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 8:32:02 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I like your restaurant.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I like your restaurant.
lol

Link Posted: 7/28/2014 10:32:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Im an Aggie and go to school here. I live and die by carrying my gun everywhere, but in CS I feel very safe. Ags take care of Ags, and anyone in the town is treated like an Ag, student or not. That said, bryan is a different story.

Its a great town. I lost the link but its a top town to raise kids in. Good for a family, plenty of college women, lots of good bars that have craft brew beer, Koppe Bridge, Harvey Washbangers, Grub Burger, CJ Barbecue, Carter Burgers, The Dixie Chicken, Hullabaloo Diner to name a few are some darn good places to eat.

Link Posted: 7/28/2014 10:34:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Also, they're looking at expanding the road systems by a metrofuckton because Kyle Field (Our football stadium) just to renovated and its a bitch to drive after gamedays its so crammed.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 10:58:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Im an Aggie and go to school here. I live and die by carrying my gun everywhere, but in CS I feel very safe. Ags take care of Ags, and anyone in the town is treated like an Ag, student or not. That said, bryan is a different story.

Its a great town. I lost the link but its a top town to raise kids in. Good for a family, plenty of college women, lots of good bars that have craft brew beer, Koppe Bridge, Harvey Washbangers, Grub Burger, CJ Barbecue, Carter Burgers, The Dixie Chicken, Hullabaloo Diner to name a few are some darn good places to eat.

View Quote

You just listed all my favorite places to eat around here.

Damn shame they closed Fitzwillys, though. Great burgers there.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 7:48:51 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know
However, Rebels still has the most taps, Dudleys is still around, I like going there. Nice small, tavern like atmosphere, and I have been wanting to go to Blackwater Draw. Obannon's, of course, is never a bad option for a few beers, especially something different.

The Backyard opened up where Fitzwilly's used to be. I haven't been yet, but they have Washers, and they are always packed. There is always a line to get in.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 9:51:08 AM EDT
[#22]
That place sucks so bad... they have some decent food, but the bartenders are terrible now, they don't have a lot of beers, and nobody knows how (not figuratively) to make an irish car bomb. The prices there are way too high, they took down all the taxidermy, the canoe, etc and replaced it with a bunch of garbage. They tore out all of the old tables, including upstairs, so even if you do get food, there is nowhere to eat now. They put in a couple picnic tables (to go with the garbage for the "backyard" theme"), but there's only a couple. I will be going back to duddleys from now on. God help us if they ever close- my Dad and his friends used to drink there, and supposedly nothing has changed since then.

Fitz's used to be our bar, I guess they started losing money after we left town.

Separate note- there are some nice areas in Bryan, but not a ton. downtown Bryan is really coming alive, they have been spending a lot of money at revitalizing that area, and there are now a lot of really great restaurants and bars there (mostly adults now), and they do a fair amount of downtown events.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 10:03:52 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
That place sucks so bad... they have some decent food, but the bartenders are terrible now, they don't have a lot of beers, and nobody knows how (not figuratively) to make an irish car bomb. The prices there are way too high, they took down all the taxidermy, the canoe, etc and replaced it with a bunch of garbage. They tore out all of the old tables, including upstairs, so even if you do get food, there is nowhere to eat now. They put in a couple picnic tables (to go with the garbage for the "backyard" theme"), but there's only a couple. I will be going back to duddleys from now on. God help us if they ever close- my Dad and his friends used to drink there, and supposedly nothing has changed since then.

Fitz's used to be our bar, I guess they started losing money after we left town.

Separate note- there are some nice areas in Bryan, but not a ton. downtown Bryan is really coming alive, they have been spending a lot of money at revitalizing that area, and there are now a lot of really great restaurants and bars there (mostly adults now), and they do a fair amount of downtown events.
View Quote

No kidding? I hadn't been to Backyard so I wasn't sure.
And I really need to explore downtown Bryan more. I've heard the festivals are great.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 11:13:22 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

And I really need to explore downtown Bryan more. I've heard the festivals are great.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Haven't been in a while, but the first Fridays were always pretty nice.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 11:59:41 AM EDT
[#25]
I graduated from A&M, and lived in College Station for 5 years.

Pros:
If your young it's the definition of a college town with a great night life. Not anything like 6th street, but Northgate can be a blast.
Great restaurants including all the major chains, but has many privately owned place to eat that are awesome.
There are a few different gun ranges close to town. And some pretty good gun shops and stores, as well as an awesome military surplus depot.

Cons:
Mall is pretty pathetic.
Traffic can be hell if it is gameday or just any regular Saturday.
One thing about College Station is it basically backs up to Bryan geographically. This is good and bad. Downtown Bryan is pretty good with some good shop and restaurants, but there are many parts of Bryan that you would definitely want to stay away from after the sun goes down.

HTH
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 12:55:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Great place to live and raise a family, I went to A&M & have family down there.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 3:31:00 PM EDT
[#27]
I might as well live there all my money goes up there my son is in the Corps and a EE major.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 3:55:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I might as well live there all my money goes up there my son is in the Corps and a EE major.
View Quote

What outfit?
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 4:52:05 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Y'all forgot to mention Fargo's BBQ.

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:42:08 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Martin's BBQ is pretty awesome as well.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 7:10:52 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

What outfit?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What outfit?

Thunderbirds SQ3
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 1:59:17 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I like your restaurant.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I like your restaurant.

MMMM... shrimp diablos   I'll be in town tomorrow today and already have plans for lunch at The Shipwreck.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 5:02:16 AM EDT
[#33]
Wow, the memories this brings back.  I enrolled in A&M in 8/74.  Weren't even 20k students.  1/5th of the male students were cadets.  The current commandant of the Corps was in the Band with me back then.  Now we are getting to be old farts.

You could count the number of beer joints on one hand:  Sparky's, Fort Shiloh, Rhett Butlers..can't remember any others.

Kyle field will seat 109k this fall.  We had plenty of games that we didn't have many over 30k in attendance but then Kyle Field barely sat 45k.  The non-SWC games didn't have much of a following.  High School kids could attend for $10.  Northgate was just a shopping center dominated by Zubik's, Victor's, and Loupot's.

Parking was easy.  It was also a time when you would turn to the person next to you in class and ask them why they were at A&M.  A&M wasn't just yet the "in" place to be.  Within a couple of years, A&M became a hot property and the enrollment grew by 10% a year.  Housing was impossible to find.  They found Aggies living in storage units because there wasn't anything else.

I often think that I would like to move back there late in my life.  But my A&M doesn't exist anymore.  It was a great place 40 years ago and it is a great place now.  It's just not the same place.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 7:14:30 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Wow, the memories this brings back.  I enrolled in A&M in 8/74.  Weren't even 20k students.  1/5th of the male students were cadets.  The current commandant of the Corps was in the Band with me back then.  Now we are getting to be old farts.

You could count the number of beer joints on one hand:  Sparky's, Fort Shiloh, Rhett Butlers..can't remember any others.

Kyle field will seat 109k this fall.  We had plenty of games that we didn't have many over 30k in attendance but then Kyle Field barely sat 45k.  The non-SWC games didn't have much of a following.  High School kids could attend for $10.  Northgate was just a shopping center dominated by Zubik's, Victor's, and Loupot's.

Parking was easy.  It was also a time when you would turn to the person next to you in class and ask them why they were at A&M.  A&M wasn't just yet the "in" place to be.  Within a couple of years, A&M became a hot property and the enrollment grew by 10% a year.  Housing was impossible to find.  They found Aggies living in storage units because there wasn't anything else.

I often think that I would like to move back there late in my life.  But my A&M doesn't exist anymore.  It was a great place 40 years ago and it is a great place now.  It's just not the same place.
View Quote

This town could use more Old Ags inspiring the future. Lots of great Aggies doing great things here, but sometimes it takes an Old Ag to say "Stop, wait, think about this."
And the younger Ags listen.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top