Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/10/2014 7:26:38 PM EDT
The wife got a position in Fort Worth and we plan to be moving down there in the next couple months.

My question is of course about guns. I have a couple safes of them and the big unknown is whether we move straight into a house or rent an apartment. My only concern with the apartment path is all my firearms. I'm not familiar with Texas law as I am Iowa so is there anything I need to know? Is it better to just look for a house and ignore the potential for some gun restriction?
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 7:31:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Would you really want to live in an apartment regardless?

How about finding a rent home?
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 7:45:46 PM EDT
[#2]
I really don't want an apartment and renting a house would be better. But you still have a renters agreement that I'm guessing could have some no gun stuff in it.

The thought process was rent a place out for a year to find where you want to stay then purchase a house once familiar with the area.

The other thing I'm noticing is there aren't any ranges that let you draw from a holster. Lots of ranges with expensive membership fees.
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 7:51:27 PM EDT
[#3]
You're moving to a MAJOR metropolitan area, along with that comes idiots.  Idiots bring stupid rules.  Start looking outside of the city for outdoor ranges, you'll be much happier with the lack of dumbass rules.
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 7:53:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Get renters insurance!

Also, when looking for a new home, besides the general upkeep of the area, look to see if anyone is just loitering, sitting on the front porch steps during normal workings hours, loitering around nearby 7-11s, etc.  
also see if the PD jurisdiction you are in has a map with crime hot spots- burgs, thefts, aslts, homicides, etc.  good luck!
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 8:22:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Welcome to Ft Worth!  I've been here 15 years and love it.  If you want info about areas, places to live, and commute times, shoot me an IM and I'll give you my phone number.  While I cannot tell you much about apartments in the outlying areas, I have lived in three different downtown apartments...I definitely recommend it if the job is near downtown.   Even if you are not looking for advice, let me know when you get to town and I buy you a drink.  

My safe has been in several apartments.  Don't ask questions about guns, rather ask to see a full copy of the lease and all addendums, prior to applying, which will usually require you to pay a non refundable app fee. (Tell them you are from out of state and not familiar with the Texas Leases)  As long as they are using the standard Texas Apartment Association documents, you should be clear (read everything).
If you ask the cute little leasing agents, most will say the are gun free, that guns are prohibited, or something to that effect, but the last two lease document I signed had nothing to that affect.  There wording says you cannot discharge a firearm or cause alarm with any weapon, but nothing preventing you from owning or having guns in your apartment.

Follow good OPSEC and keep your hardware to yourself and you should be fine.  Since they have the right to enter at any reasonable time, even if you are not there, use common sense and keep stuff out of plain sight.  

Std Texas Apt ASSN Lease

...business operations; manufacturing, delivering, or possessing a
controlled substance or drug paraphernalia; engaging in or threatening
violence; possessing a weapon prohibited by state law; discharging
a firearm in the apartment community; displaying or possessing a
gun, knife, or other weapon in the common area in a way that may
alarm others
; storing anything in closets having gas appliances;
tampering with utilities or telecommunications; bringing hazardous
materials into the apartment community; using windows for entry
or exit; heating the apartment with a gas-operated cooking stove...
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 4:28:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The wife got a position in Fort Worth and we plan to be moving down there in the next couple months.

My question is of course about guns. I have a couple safes of them and the big unknown is whether we move straight into a house or rent an apartment. My only concern with the apartment path is all my firearms. I'm not familiar with Texas law as I am Iowa so is there anything I need to know? Is it better to just look for a house and ignore the potential for some gun restriction?
View Quote

There are generally far less restrictions in TX than in a blue state like IA.
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 5:08:20 AM EDT
[#7]
What area of Fort Worth are you looking at? There is a really nice house for rent in my neighborhood but it may be off the market by the time you move.

There are nice condo's, townhomes, and some nicer apartments on the west side of the city and near downtown. I've had guns everywhere I've lived. Just be sure to get on the bottom floor if you want your safes in a apartment or get one with a attached garage.
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 12:12:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Welcome to the area.  I cannot help with info about apartments, but when you do get here and settled, let us know.  Also, Parker County Sportsman Club is a little shooting range that i belong to, and has very reasonable fees.  It is out of the way, unless you live up north, but is priced right.   You can also draw from a holster.  Again, welcome and hope to meet you soon.
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 7:59:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Get renters insurance!

Also, when looking for a new home, besides the general upkeep of the area, look to see if anyone is just loitering, sitting on the front porch steps during normal workings hours, loitering around nearby 7-11s, etc.  
also see if the PD jurisdiction you are in has a map with crime hot spots- burgs, thefts, aslts, homicides, etc.  good luck!
View Quote

I always get renters insurance when renting. Has come in handy several times. That's great advice on asking the local PD if they have any info such as that. I've been throwing out potential locations based on Google Street views of neighborhoods.

Quoted:
Welcome to Ft Worth!  I've been here 15 years and love it.  If you want info about areas, places to live, and commute times, shoot me an IM and I'll give you my phone number.  While I cannot tell you much about apartments in the outlying areas, I have lived in three different downtown apartments...I definitely recommend it if the job is near downtown.   Even if you are not looking for advice, let me know when you get to town and I buy you a drink.  

My safe has been in several apartments.  Don't ask questions about guns, rather ask to see a full copy of the lease and all addendums, prior to applying, which will usually require you to pay a non refundable app fee. (Tell them you are from out of state and not familiar with the Texas Leases)  As long as they are using the standard Texas Apartment Association documents, you should be clear (read everything).
If you ask the cute little leasing agents, most will say the are gun free, that guns are prohibited, or something to that effect, but the last two lease document I signed had nothing to that affect.  There wording says you cannot discharge a firearm or cause alarm with any weapon, but nothing preventing you from owning or having guns in your apartment.

Follow good OPSEC and keep your hardware to yourself and you should be fine.  Since they have the right to enter at any reasonable time, even if you are not there, use common sense and keep stuff out of plain sight.  

Std Texas Apt ASSN Lease
View Quote

That's great advice. I knew lower floor rooms are a must for the safe. Also moving from a house we've decided if we rent it's going to be a house or condo. On your garage comment this brings up another question in Iowa due to our weather keeping a safe in the garage is a horrible idea. How does that differ there?

Link Posted: 7/12/2014 8:00:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

There are generally far less restrictions in TX than in a blue state like IA.
View Quote

As blue as IA is you may be surprised how open we are on guns. Our permits allow us to carry just about any weapon we choose concealed and open. We can carry anywhere short of federal grounds and schools regardless of signs and stickers. Permit only costs $50 ($25 renew) and the only paperwork is the application. No fingerprints, etc. BUT no NFA items. As someone who has hit with the night vision bug I want a suppressor bad. Once I'm a resident I should have a trust together and be putting in paperwork for 3 suppressor to cover my caliber ranges (22lr, 45acp, .308)

Quoted:
What area of Fort Worth are you looking at? There is a really nice house for rent in my neighborhood but it may be off the market by the time you move.

There are nice condo's, townhomes, and some nicer apartments on the west side of the city and near downtown. I've had guns everywhere I've lived. Just be sure to get on the bottom floor if you want your safes in a apartment or get one with a attached garage.
View Quote

Well I've convinced to wife to consider looking at buying as well and all the places for purchase and rent that we like are in the Lake Worth area or north east of it.

Thanks for the advice, please keep it coming. I've been looking to move down to Texas for some years personally and finally an opportunity has presented itself.
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 7:05:49 PM EDT
[#11]
I've only rented at one place since moving to TX (from MA...fuck MA), but I'm under the impression that there's a massive landlord association with a standardized lease agreement.

My lease has gun-related restrictions, but violating those parts of the lease would be a felony even if the lease didn't have the restrictions. Can't go outside pointing an unregistered machine gun at people, etc..
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 9:29:28 AM EDT
[#12]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

SNIP

On your garage comment this brings up another question in Iowa due to our weather keeping a safe in the garage is a horrible idea. How does that differ there?

View Quote

It gets really hot in DFW during the summer, with some humidity. I wouldn't want to put a safe in the garage unless the garage was insulated and at least somewhat climate-controlled.

ETA: Rent a house for a while to learn the areas. That's what we did when we moved here from Houston. Our lease was the standard Texas lease and it didn't say anything about guns other than (essentially) don't break any existing laws. Renting is less stress to deal with on top of moving long distance, just find a house you like, sign the lease, pay the deposit, and you're done.

Link Posted: 7/13/2014 11:56:10 AM EDT
[#13]
Lived on the West side of FTW for 25 years, retired then sold and moved to the San Antonio area.... you can find plenty of working folks that live on the edges of that city... there are areas where you do not want to be at all.  I would not consider an apartment because of what neighbors you would be well mixed with.  Firearms are carried concealed in Texas as yours truly does. Get a CCL.... Depending where work is, look at a map and find an incorporated area where you can see their food, liquor stores, plus service stations and view who are the customers?  Also, what condition the streets and homesites are.in.  Many times homes can be rented via Real Estate brokers.  Know an agent in my area that has some rent houses, and does not advertise when looking for renters. Would not care to be near streets having retailers, shopping centers,, malls, warehouses,  and that busy life..   There are places where a mile or so can go from utmost to double ugly.  Also, crime statistics can be seen via a Google search, which shows how concentrated that sordid sport can be.  Good luck and a burglar alarm is money well spent and saves on insurance.  Still visit FTW but now stay to the South in Granbury due to all of the above.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 6:02:28 AM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for the advice.

I've come to the conclusion with advice here and elsewhere to just rent a house. We'll be calling those locations today and tomorrow to see them this weekend and asking for a copy of the lease as well so I can read to gun verbiage.

The advice on the security system is good. Unlike Iowa, most of the places listed have security systems in place and renter has to pay fees. I'm definitely going to be getting a carry permit. I need to start researching how long I need to be there before I can apply as a resident, as well as research details about printing and things of that nature. Some places as long as you can't see the actual firearm you are good even if it's horribly printing.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 6:17:37 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Thanks for the advice.

I've come to the conclusion with advice here and elsewhere to just rent a house. We'll be calling those locations today and tomorrow to see them this weekend and asking for a copy of the lease as well so I can read to gun verbiage.

The advice on the security system is good. Unlike Iowa, most of the places listed have security systems in place and renter has to pay fees. I'm definitely going to be getting a carry permit. I need to start researching how long I need to be there before I can apply as a resident, as well as research details about printing and things of that nature. Some places as long as you can't see the actual firearm you are good even if it's horribly printing.
View Quote

You do not need to wait to apply for your CHL.  If you intend to become a Texas resident you can apply right away.  You may have to update your paperwork as far as addresses go once you find out where you will be living.  You can't INTENTIONALLY fail to conceal is the way the law is worded here.  So incidental printing isn't illegal...  But just not a good idea, try to make sure it doesn't happen.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 7:12:26 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

You do not need to wait to apply for your CHL.  If you intend to become a Texas resident you can apply right away.  You may have to update your paperwork as far as addresses go once you find out where you will be living.  You can't INTENTIONALLY fail to conceal is the way the law is worded here.  So incidental printing isn't illegal...  But just not a good idea, try to make sure it doesn't happen.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thanks for the advice.

Thanks. My intention is always to conceal it but as I'm sure you know some movements will cause either the bottom of the grip or side of the firearm to push out. I'm guessing but accidental displays when reaching for the top shelves of things is bad. (Sorry for the extra questions on this. In Iowa if you slip no big deal, OC is legal)

As soon as I get down there I'll go ahead and sign me and the wife up for a CHL course. That's good info that I don't need to wait a certain period.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 12:49:31 PM EDT
[#17]
We have locked down a rental home in south fort worth and will be moving down in a few weeks.

Any suggestions on getting these completed once we settle in?
- Find a good CHL class
- Setup a NFA trust (or should this wait a year till we get a permanent residence? )
- Find a range where I can draw from the holster.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:43:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Welcome to Texas.
You'll like it here.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 5:46:34 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Welcome to Texas.
You'll like it here.
View Quote

And if you don't, get the hell out
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 2:54:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Welcome to Texas.
You'll like it here.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to like it.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 2:55:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Welcome to Texas.
You'll like it here.
View Quote

Thanks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top