Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/23/2014 7:37:29 PM EDT
Id like to thank the shit bird that took something we really needed and dont have the money to replace at the moment.

My fiancé went to lunch and came back.  Was at work for a few hours left at 6 and gone in broad day light.

I dont suppose anyone knows of an affordable place to a) buy a cat for a 99 4runner b) a place to get it welded back on.

Between the rent check and others this was terrible timing.  Any referrals would be greatly appreciated

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:46:09 PM EDT
[#1]
It is downstream of your last O2 sensor,shouldn't trip a check engine light, so just U-Bolt clamp a piece of autozone pipe/fence post in there for now to get the sound down and driveable. 10-15 bucks. If you're in DFW I can recommend a few shops we use for exh. work. You're probably looking at ~200-250 for a generic cat installed. Much much higher for factory part. Being downstream cat, if it were my personal vehicle there would possibly be a straight pipe welded in there. Hypothetically. In another universe.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:48:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Based on financials generic may be the way to go, any recommendations are welcome as she has to get to work as do I lol. Sharing one car wont last long as our schedules are quite demanding.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It is downstream of your last O2 sensor,shouldn't trip a check engine light, so just U-Bolt clamp a piece of autozone pipe/fence post in there for now to get the sound down and driveable. 10-15 bucks. If you're in DFW I can recommend a few shops we use for exh. work. You're probably looking at ~200-250 for a generic cat installed. Much much higher for factory part. Being downstream cat, if it were my personal vehicle there would possibly be a straight pipe welded in there. Hypothetically. In another universe.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:57:21 PM EDT
[#3]
At new shop, we send everything to Pronto Muffler on 75 NB access road just north of 15th in Plano. We've farmed stuff out to them at the old shop as well. Also have used Victor with Mr. Muffler, they come out on the spot and do the work in our shop. If you've got enough ground clearance, he might make one of his guys crawl under there and do it They are fast, cheap AND good. You'll have to find his contact info though because I don't have it and any contact I have with my old employer will end in, well nevermind all that.

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:59:04 PM EDT
[#4]

You dont know how much youve helped me out!  Thank you so much, should I tell them who sent me?

Quoted:
At new shop, we send everything to Pronto Muffler on 75 NB access road just north of 15th in Plano. We've farmed stuff out to them at the old shop as well. Also have used Victor with Mr. Muffler, they come out on the spot and do the work in our shop. If you've got enough ground clearance, he might make one of his guys crawl under there and do it
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:02:50 PM EDT
[#5]
If you go to Pronto, just tell them Colby at Christensen's. If you call Victor, tell him that fatass beard dude that used to work at W. Plano's biggest sodomy dealer. (I'm not bitter )
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:13:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Lol no problem I may clean it up a tad bit though

Quoted:
If you go to Pronto, just tell them Colby at Christensen's. If you call Victor, tell him that fatass beard dude that used to work at W. Plano's biggest sodomy dealer. (I'm not bitter )
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 3:39:41 AM EDT
[#7]
I thought this type of theft was over.
Sorry for your loss.

What's happening in my neighborhood is the theft of Chevy half ton wheels. When it started your truck was left on jackstands. The last one I saw was sitting on the rotors. I guess the price of jackstands got too high.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 4:54:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Sorry for your loss.

What's happening in my neighborhood is the theft of Chevy half ton wheels. When it started your truck was left on jackstands. The last one I saw was sitting on the rotors. I guess the price of jackstands got too high.
View Quote

Jack stands aren't free my friend.  Even the cheap ones at Harbor freight are like $20.00 per pair.  
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:20:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Sorry for your loss.

View Quote

When you're in a sanctuary city that routinely sends convoys of "used" cars and parts to Mexico, it never ends.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:38:35 AM EDT
[#10]
There is a certain amount of salvage value for the platinum that is in catalytic converters...  but the reason most of the illegals steal them is because they are morons and think that they have mercury in them (which they don't, at least not more than trace amounts you'd never be able to extract) and they also stupidly think you can prospect for gold by pouring it on the ground and digging any place it pools up which doesn't even work.  From what I've read, the reason that catalytic converter theft has slowed down is mostly due to lack of success in gold finding.  The $#!+ birds have moved on to other get rich quick schemes.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:39:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

When you're in a sanctuary city that routinely sends convoys of "used" cars and parts to Mexico, it never ends.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sorry for your loss.

They should stop and impound all those illegal tows along I35...  they are a hazard.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 6:34:20 AM EDT
[#12]
What a piece of excrement.  Unbelievable.  Some "people" aren't worth the air they breathe.

Sorry for your trouble.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 6:47:21 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

There is a certain amount of salvage value for the platinum that is in catalytic converters...  but the reason most of the illegals steal them is because they are morons and think that they have mercury in them (which they don't, at least not more than trace amounts you'd never be able to extract) and they also stupidly think you can prospect for gold by pouring it on the ground and digging any place it pools up which doesn't even work.  From what I've read, the reason that catalytic converter theft has slowed down is mostly due to lack of success in gold finding.  The $#!+ birds have moved on to other get rich quick schemes.

View Quote

Do they want the mercury for their "prospecting" or to sell?  As rare as mercury is today, I would bet that it is worth some money...

And sorry for your loss OP.

In the Dallas area are you guys having to have your tail pipe sniffed to pass inspections?  Wouldn't a straight pipe cause problems with that?

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 7:28:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Having a vehicle that rides high makes it easy for scum bags with a battery powered SawZall to slide under, make the cut and be gone before anyone knows it.

Sorry about your situation and hope that someday the Thief tries that at night and catches the consequences of a angry and armed owner at Oh Dark Thirty.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 7:34:48 AM EDT
[#15]
Two of my co-workers got their cats stolen from the company parking lot a couple of months ago - both Toyota SUVs. There is platinum and palladium content in modern catalytic converters.

The irony of it all - we work in precious metals.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 7:52:42 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Do they want the mercury for their "prospecting" or to sell?  As rare as mercury is today, I would bet that it is worth some money...

In the Dallas area are you guys having to have your tail pipe sniffed to pass inspections?  Wouldn't a straight pipe cause problems with that?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've been told that they want mercury for their "prospecting".  A missing cat will cause a failure if they put a sensor in the tailpipe.  Sometimes I think the inspection places only check the OBD-II and if it isn't causing a "check engine" it may pass...  Is something as ancient as a 1999 even OBD-II?  I think the inspection places are supposed to do the tailpipe test on OBD-I vehicles.  I'd have to ask my brother in law, he's a state certified inspector.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 7:56:24 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Having a vehicle that rides high makes it easy for scum bags with a battery powered SawZall to slide under, make the cut and be gone before anyone knows it.

Sorry about your situation and hope that someday the Thief tries that at night and catches the consequences of a angry and armed owner at Oh Dark Thirty.
View Quote

There's a reason I park where I can see my car from my office window.  I don't trust anyone.  When I worked downtown I had some words with some bums that were cutting through the parking lot (despite all of the "no tresspassing" signs) to GTFO.  They weren't even messing with my car, but they were too close for comfort.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 8:00:15 AM EDT
[#18]
My daughter's teacher had hers stolen in the fenced school parking lot. I pulled up after school and she was out there with the police. It's a long walk across that lot with a sawzall and a cat tucked under your arm.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 12:09:57 PM EDT
[#19]
check your IM's OP
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 12:26:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Two of my co-workers got their cats stolen from the company parking lot a couple of months ago - both Toyota SUVs. There is platinum and palladium content in modern catalytic converters.

The irony of it all - we work in precious metals.
View Quote

This is why they are stolen.  Most pull and pay salvage yards take them out and scrap them for the metal.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 1:55:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I've been told that they want mercury for their "prospecting".  A missing cat will cause a failure if they put a sensor in the tailpipe.  Sometimes I think the inspection places only check the OBD-II and if it isn't causing a "check engine" it may pass...  Is something as ancient as a 1999 even OBD-II?  I think the inspection places are supposed to do the tailpipe test on OBD-I vehicles.  I'd have to ask my brother in law, he's a state certified inspector.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Everything after 1996 is OBD II. Some '94 and '95 are OBD II. A dead cat is worth $75 each at a scrap yard. Steal 10 a night and you are making some serious money
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 2:07:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Thieves are scum of the Earth.  There is always a better way.  Change your life style if you get to some place where your choices include stealing.  Bring back public crucifixion for stealing and I bet we would have a lot less thieves.   I would love see thieves get flogged by their victims.  

Yea I been ripped off before, but I didn't take it personal if you were wondering.LOL
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 2:46:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Damn...I saw the thread and was like WTH, why would someone steal catalytic converters?  Learn something new every day...ok next question...why wouldn't a salvage yard ask questions if someone comes in with a truckload of catalytic converters??  Aren't they required to take down any information when they take in stuff?  Or are the theives working in cohort with someone at salvage yards?
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 2:59:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Only good thief is a dead thief
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 3:56:59 PM EDT
[#25]
I was told by a salvage yard today they cant legally sell catalytic converters.  I dont know about buying them?  You would think they would have the sense to stay outta that business.  
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 4:51:56 PM EDT
[#26]
AAA in Garland on Broadway near I-30 replaced the cat on my old truck a couple of years ago.  It was less than $200 for removal of the old one, replacement unit and installation.

mmm
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 4:53:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I was told by a salvage yard today they cant legally sell catalytic converters.  I dont know about buying them?  You would think they would have the sense to stay outta that business.  
View Quote

I have never seen a local DFW salvage or metal recycler ask for an ID or anything else when people bring in copper wire, copper coils, or cats.

mm
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 4:59:21 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

View Quote
It is lucrative business, that is why. There's a HUGE legitimate market. Once a OE quality cat is recycled, it yields several hundred dollars worth of platinum/rhodium/palladium.

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:23:50 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I have never seen a local DFW salvage or metal recycler ask for an ID or anything else when people bring in copper wire, copper coils, or cats.

mm
View Quote

Last year I took a metal pallet that had come with 96 (IIRC) Mil Surplus ammo cans, a Mercedes 450 GL hood (was one month old when the Jerry World ice storm totaled it), and a jet ski battery to a recycle place in Grayson county.  I had to show my license, and sign a form saying the crap I was selling wasn't stolen.  
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:28:33 PM EDT
[#30]
I wish you were closer. I work for a shop and can get most parts at cost. Let me know if you cant find a good deal.
ETA: Depending on if it's the front or rear cat, I can get it for about $340. That's a direct bolt in that you could handle in the driveway. But it might be cheaper for a muffler shop to get a generic one and weld it into place.

Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

mm
View Quote

I've been to hundreds of salvage yards in my day. I've had to show my ID at every single one.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:44:59 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Id like to thank the shit bird that took something we really needed and dont have the money to replace at the moment.

My fiancé went to lunch and came back.  Was at work for a few hours left at 6 and gone in broad day light.

I dont suppose anyone knows of an affordable place to a) buy a cat for a 99 4runner b) a place to get it welded back on.

Between the rent check and others this was terrible timing.  Any referrals would be greatly appreciated

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb60/caliber_9/20140423_185502_zps1ca05ec6.jpg

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb60/caliber_9/20140423_185427_zps5afa21f6.jpg
View Quote

sorry to hear about that

where exactly did that happen?  3rd gen 4Runners are notoriously targeted for their catalytic converters, and the Cat Clamp wouldn't even make a difference

I would suggest you consider the Walker 81712 universal catalytic converter as a generic replacement...

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:49:05 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 12:56:46 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

It is lucrative business, that is why. There's a HUGE legitimate market. Once a OE quality cat is recycled, it yields several hundred dollars worth of platinum/rhodium/palladium.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I am aware of the value I was speaking to salvage yards buyin a pickup bed full of freshly cut cats.  

Also my buddy owns a gutter business on the side. Every metal recycler he uses requires ID and a form.  I know the metal recycler next to my station requires ID and forms.  Salvage yards I don't know about. I just know things have started changing in last couple years to clamp down scummy thieves that belong in jail after a nice long and severe beating.  FSA punks.

Also on another note sorta about the cheap cats. I have seen another buddy do this about 4 years in a row.  There is a small bottle of fuel system cleaner on the parts counter at pep boys and other shops. But for sure pep boys.  Can't think of the name but the bottle favors a 5hour energy drink.  Anyway he dumps one or two of those in his tank at inspection time. Drives the thing down to half a tank.  Then goes and gets his cheap cat car inspected.  He takes it into the shop after he has driven it 15 or so mins on the highway.  His cheap cat car keeps passing with flying colors.  This buddy is one of those mover and shaker type high roller guys.  Always has something new keeps himself connected.  Not saying that stuff is miracle juice but I think there is something to it.   Oh yea and the first time he did it his car had just failed emissions.  He has replaced nothing at all.  Sorry I can't think of the name of the stuff but they will direct you to it at pep boys just describe as the stuff that looks like a 5 hour energy bottle.  

Link Posted: 4/25/2014 6:00:45 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I wish you were closer. I work for a shop and can get most parts at cost. Let me know if you cant find a good deal.
ETA: Depending on if it's the front or rear cat, I can get it for about $340. That's a direct bolt in that you could handle in the driveway.
View Quote

I don't think he's going to be bolting anything on. Check the pic. The thief cut the flanges right off with the cat. He'll have to have flanges welded back on and then bolt in the new cat.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 9:02:49 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

mm
View Quote

Apparently you've never tried to sell scrap metal on 380 east of McKinney!  They will take a picture of your vehicle and plate, fingerprint you, and make a copy of your ID before they will pay you.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 1:39:40 PM EDT
[#36]
Fucking savages.

Hope you can get it fixed relatively painlessly.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 2:39:43 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Apparently you've never tried to sell scrap metal on 380 east of McKinney!  They will take a picture of your vehicle and plate, fingerprint you, and make a copy of your ID before they will pay you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

mm

Nope, either West Dallas off of Singleton or South Dallas on Lamar.  All I have seen them do is have the person sign a receipt when they get the cash.  I only go maybe once a year to accompany a roll-off of mixed metals to make sure the yard counts it right.

mm
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 4:16:26 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Only good thief is a dead thief
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/25/2014 6:16:56 PM EDT
[#39]
Wife had hers stolen while she was at work one day - 99 4Runner.  

Got it replaced at a muffler shop here in Houston for $125 out the door.  

Damn thieves!!
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 9:17:47 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I don't think he's going to be bolting anything on. Check the pic. The thief cut the flanges right off with the cat. He'll have to have flanges welded back on and then bolt in the new cat.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
ETA: Depending on if it's the front or rear cat, I can get it for about $340. That's a direct bolt in that you could handle in the driveway.

Couldn't tell much by the pics. But a closer inspection looks like those ends may be part of the exhaust manifold y-pipe and the other straight into the muffler. The thief really did a good job of making the repair a huge pain in the ass.

I was saying if he wants to get a stock Toyota replacement that's what I could do but it seems like that may not be possible. Good luck OP.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 9:33:58 AM EDT
[#41]
Thanks guys still looking into where and who at this point I saw a few suggestions here im going to try.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 9:43:09 AM EDT
[#42]
No number for MR muffler the one i called was a wrong number
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 5:41:22 AM EDT
[#43]
I've always been pleased with Jon's Brake and Muffler in Rowlett on Rowlett Rd just north of Hwy 66. Tried to go to Triple A on Broadway in Garland once or twice and they couldn't help me.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 12:03:29 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 3:07:49 PM EDT
[#45]
Do you have insurance?
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 3:52:56 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Do you have insurance?
View Quote

File a claim for something like this and the insurance company will just raise your rates so you end up paying for it anyway...  probably more over time.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 3:53:55 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

This
View All Quotes

Hang 'em high, bury 'em deep.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 9:54:01 AM EDT
[#48]
Another +1 for Pronto in Plano. Honest folks with good prices. Several of my "car-guy" friends go to them for work when it's not bolt-on stuff.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 11:26:35 AM EDT
[#49]
Any places in the Lewisville area?
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 2:48:11 PM EDT
[#50]
Hey OP my best friend had his stollen a few months ago off his 2011 Ram  3/4 ton at the Twin Peaks parking lot in Mesquite. The funny part is it happened around 2 in the afternoon and parked in the middle of the parking lot.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top