Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 3:06:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Was just asking what it is going to be used for (and I acknowlege a bullet proof vehicle has it's uses in certain situations - situations that are not often found in Wylie however)  But it is NOT free.  My tax dollars paid for that thing and they will continue to pay for the repairs.  Also I understand MRAP's average about 5mpg depending on the vehicle and conversion costs (paint, closed turret, lightbar, etc. run around $70,000).  Taxpayers are paying these costs.  Someone stated on this thread that they aren't just given out to anyone that requests one - that it's done geographically and the surrounding agencies share the use - which would make sense.  

I ask you as a resident of this same county (Collin) and in a much larger city (Plano)...why would they not go to the much larger city and shared by surrounding ones?  

Earl

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

its a bullet proof truck that was free to the city. why is it of concern what it was used for by its previous owners. was for mines and ied's, now its for,,,,bullet proof truck... its not a brad, its doesnt have chain guns, cannons, m2's, mk19s, or mortars hanging off of it. it is a bullet proof truck, no more no less.not hard to understand why it would be usefull to have around
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've not read all 4 pages of this thread.  I've not served in LE - though several of my friends and family do.  I have tremendous respect for law enforcement.  And as long as they follow the 4th ammendment I've got no problem with them being "militarized" to an extent.   I DO have a problem with no nock operations but that is another topic for another day.  But seriously, an MRAP?  Mine Resistant Ambush Proof vehicle?  Really?  What are they going to be used for, I mean seriously?  This is WYLIE for crying out loud, not Watts.  What, is the silocone in the breasts of all the women around here going to cause them to go mad on some sort of killing spree with IED's and RPGs?  Seriously...

Where do you draw the line?  What about hummers with twin ma deuces on the top or why not BFV's with 25mm cannons...that should take care of the rampant bunny population around here. I mean I just try to run them down with my F150 but I think a SAW would be so much more fun.

Earl

its a bullet proof truck that was free to the city. why is it of concern what it was used for by its previous owners. was for mines and ied's, now its for,,,,bullet proof truck... its not a brad, its doesnt have chain guns, cannons, m2's, mk19s, or mortars hanging off of it. it is a bullet proof truck, no more no less.not hard to understand why it would be usefull to have around

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 3:08:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Actually WildBill said in the above that he didn't think we needed armor, which is what I was responding to.

Not every small town has MRAPs. There are two in our area and they are mutual aid items. We support other PD's and counties around us with our armor fairly regularly. I'm sure Wylie will be called upon by other neighboring agencies to use their vehicle on an as-need basis. Who cares if the SO maintains it or a smaller PD? So long as their budget supports it, it's a done deal.

FYI, the DOD and state DRMO program will not issue vehicles out to agencies if there already is a piece of armor with an agency in a certain radius.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

...Boston Bombing. Dorner. LA Bank of America robbery. There are numerous armed confrontations throughout our history where LE has needed some sort of mobile cover in order to protect innocents in the area and apprehend the offenders..

LA BoA? Maybe.

Boston bombing and Dorner? Not so much.

Dorner shot it out with police for over an hour. They did not have any armored assets and went back to hiding behind cars and trees. That is a textbook case for armor.

The Boston bombing is actually a great way to utilize the V hull anti-IED capability of the MRAP. They threw several explosive devices at LE as they shot it out with them.

Nobody is stating that police do not need access to light armor.  In Southern California, my guess is that there are armored vehicles avaiable.  Sometimes even the most front line Army units have to wait for support.  The issue is does every small town in America need MRAP's?  Why cannot the county sheriff or state police coordinate access to more appropriate light armored vehicles?

Actually WildBill said in the above that he didn't think we needed armor, which is what I was responding to.

Not every small town has MRAPs. There are two in our area and they are mutual aid items. We support other PD's and counties around us with our armor fairly regularly. I'm sure Wylie will be called upon by other neighboring agencies to use their vehicle on an as-need basis. Who cares if the SO maintains it or a smaller PD? So long as their budget supports it, it's a done deal.

FYI, the DOD and state DRMO program will not issue vehicles out to agencies if there already is a piece of armor with an agency in a certain radius.

DoctorNo, I did not state that police do not need light armor.  I ask is the county or state can more efficiently coordinate use of light armored vehicles?
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 4:41:04 PM EDT
[#3]
"Police departments"

"Coordinate"

Sorry, just cannot put those words into the same sentence
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:11:10 PM EDT
[#4]
So, we went to Racetrac for frozen yogurt and I ran into a Wylie police officer.  We are heading for the same door and I was about to ask him if he was on break from mounting machine guns to his new tank when he rushed the door to open it for me and my family.   Thank you officer if you are reading this.  We can only trust the officers to do the right thing in the end with the MRAP.  Hopefully they understand this and it turns out to be a non issue.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:14:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Hmm ......

I've never shot anyone. In the last 3 years our team has only had one shooting - where someone with a rifle pointed at our team twice. The only knife wielding guy we've been dispatched to barricaded himself inside his own car after a two hour pursuit and held the knife to his own neck. Certainly not a normal LE call .... we are not a small time team, either. On average we run 50-60 operations a year. You never hear about the operations we do that go well with no uses of force. All you ever hear about is the .001% of ones that go sideways.

I guess I have a hammer and no one puts any nails out for me to hit? Or how does this work..

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The militarization of police is not a sign of some massive conspiracy. However, what bothers me is the mindset that seems to develop as a PD gets more and more of these goodies.   Too many police are going around thinking they're in a combat zone.  You are civilians.  Your job is to catch bad guys, not destroy the enemy.  No knock raids, shoot first - assess later, full SWAT deployments for a guy with a knife... come on.  Once you have the toys you want to use them.  What's the saying?  If all you have is a hammer everything looks like a nail?

Hmm ......

I've never shot anyone. In the last 3 years our team has only had one shooting - where someone with a rifle pointed at our team twice. The only knife wielding guy we've been dispatched to barricaded himself inside his own car after a two hour pursuit and held the knife to his own neck. Certainly not a normal LE call .... we are not a small time team, either. On average we run 50-60 operations a year. You never hear about the operations we do that go well with no uses of force. All you ever hear about is the .001% of ones that go sideways.

I guess I have a hammer and no one puts any nails out for me to hit? Or how does this work..

How many of those raids are drug related?
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 6:07:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Was just asking what it is going to be used for (and I acknowlege a bullet proof vehicle has it's uses in certain situations - situations that are not often found in Wylie however)  But it is NOT free.  My tax dollars paid for that thing and they will continue to pay for the repairs.  Also I understand MRAP's average about 5mpg depending on the vehicle and conversion costs (paint, closed turret, lightbar, etc. run around $70,000).  Taxpayers are paying these costs.  Someone stated on this thread that they aren't just given out to anyone that requests one - that it's done geographically and the surrounding agencies share the use - which would make sense.  

I ask you as a resident of this same county (Collin) and in a much larger city (Plano)...why would they not go to the much larger city and shared by surrounding ones?  
View Quote

I don't know where you came up with that number.

Our lightbar came off an old squad that was being auctioned. (Recycled = free)

Our maintenance guys installed it and put the light box in.

Decals on the side did cost a few bucks. Done at the same place that does all the graphics on all our other cars.

the turret has a hatch ... they all do. It comes with the truck.

I'd bet all together we spent $1000 to "customize" ours. Most of the time we spent was pulling out half the junk on the interior to make room and to make it more useful.

Most likely Wylie was one of the few cities that volunteered to step up and take care of the vehicle. Not all departments want to deal with the DOD hassle that comes with all the paperwork and BS involved in being involved in the program. Just a guess.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 6:08:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
So, we went to Racetrac for frozen yogurt and I ran into a Wylie police officer.  We are heading for the same door and I was about to ask him if he was on break from mounting machine guns to his new tank when he rushed the door to open it for me and my family.   Thank you officer if you are reading this.  We can only trust the officers to do the right thing in the end with the MRAP.  Hopefully they understand this and it turns out to be a non issue.
View Quote

Yeah...don't be a dick. He may see the vehicle to be just as useful as you do.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 6:09:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
DoctorNo, I did not state that police do not need light armor.  I ask is the county or state can more efficiently coordinate use of light armored vehicles?
View Quote

Sure.

First, get a list of departments enrolled in the DOD surplus equipment program.

Now get a list of departments interested in acquiring a vehicle.

Make them fill out numerous forms laying out their responsibilities in care/maintenance/shared assets/mutual aid agreements.

Take the list of those who have completed all the paperwork in the required time frame.

Rank them according to serviced area, geographic importance, and proximity to other already delegated assets.

Issue vehicle.

That's how it's done now, do you have a better idea? It seems pretty reasonable to me.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 6:12:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
How many of those raids are drug related?
View Quote

I'd say 50%. The other 25% of search warrants are investigative driven (burglars, thieves, gang operations) and the other 25% of our calls are emergencies. We have a threat assessment that all planned operations must complete which take into consideration the suspects criminal history, known weapons, prior cases, etc. We are not activated until a certain threshold is met.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 6:15:25 PM EDT
[#10]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MRAP

2nd to last paragraph.

Quoted:

Decals on the side did cost a few bucks. Done at the same place that does all the graphics on all our other cars.

I'd bet all together we spent $1000 to "customize" ours. Most of the time we spent was pulling out half the junk on the interior to make room and to make it more useful.

Most likely Wylie was one of the few cities that volunteered to step up and take care of the vehicle. Not all departments want to deal with the DOD hassle that comes with all the paperwork and BS involved in being involved in the program. Just a guess.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 6:24:07 PM EDT
[#11]
And my point is .... don't believe everything you read. Not everything on wikipedia is gospel......

Quoted:

2nd to last paragraph.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

2nd to last paragraph.

Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 4/25/2014 4:06:55 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Earl

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Earl

Quoted:
Quoted:
I've not read all 4 pages of this thread.  I've not served in LE - though several of my friends and family do.  I have tremendous respect for law enforcement.  And as long as they follow the 4th ammendment I've got no problem with them being "militarized" to an extent.   I DO have a problem with no nock operations but that is another topic for another day.  But seriously, an MRAP?  Mine Resistant Ambush Proof vehicle?  Really?  What are they going to be used for, I mean seriously?  This is WYLIE for crying out loud, not Watts.  What, is the silocone in the breasts of all the women around here going to cause them to go mad on some sort of killing spree with IED's and RPGs?  Seriously...

Where do you draw the line?  What about hummers with twin ma deuces on the top or why not BFV's with 25mm cannons...that should take care of the rampant bunny population around here. I mean I just try to run them down with my F150 but I think a SAW would be so much more fun.

Earl

you are correct, your and my tax dollars paid for the FED to buy this truck. Now the truck has one of two options, 1 be sold for de-milled scrap at a fraction of its own cost, or 2 be donated to a local .gov as a usefull asset for years to come.
as far as cost to outfit, wylie like any other . gov with a fleet, has an entire crew of mechanics  that are already being paid to work on everything from dump trucks to police motorcycles an bullet proof truck wouldnt be out of their scope of knowledge. they have light bars laying around their service center and plenty decals to boot. it will not cost the city of wylie taxpayers as much as you think, and doesnt cost the city of plano taxpayers a dime.
moving along, the city of plano iirc has their own apc. mckinney has their own apc. they would not quallify for the program and this bullet proof truck would be usefull not just to wylie but also to unincorporated collin county, murphy, st. paul, sachse, lavon, nevada, josephine, royse city, and more than likely farmersville.
so the sleepy little town of wylie (pop 50,000 and growing) would have a very usefull asset that a lot more people will benafit from than you realise.
5mpg is a non issue untill they start running patrol with it. how many mpg does a ladder truck get, and they will dispatch that to a freaking fender bender lol
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 4:13:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Earl

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Earl

Quoted:
Quoted:

Earl

i guess im still having trouble with the parts in red, are you saying you pay Plano and Wylie taxes?  if you are i would throw a smooth fit over at the collin central appraisal district office
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 7:08:15 AM EDT
[#14]
I live next door in Sachse, so I'm getting a kick out of these replies....
We have a few SWAT trained officers on our force and we see our share of crazy out here.  As for the generalization that we're out in the sticks, think again...  these areas are growing faster than most of the nation and with it comes the growing pains...  gang incursions, the thriving meth industry, home invasions, etc.
Sure, it's no war zone, but I know some of these officers and I hear more about what they've been facing last few years...  things are changing.  Just last night some knucklehead went in loud (shots fired) to rob a business right off 78 at 9:30pm.  These are not barking dog calls anymore.  When the situation warrants, these guys deserve to have some cover without waiting for the cavalry to come all the way from Big D.  Sure, it's a big departure from what we're used to seeing, and some valid points have been raised about the trends, but I stand with Doc on this one, better to have it and not need it...  

Oh, and I know it might seem silly to worry about what it takes to protect water treatment facilities at first glance, but you "experts" should take a closer look at what gets stored there before passing judgment...  I live a few miles away and I know it's of concern for me... I'm, glad they're taking steps.

Anyway, my 2 cents
I call shotgun!
When they gonna train Sachse CERT to drive it?!?!?!  LOL
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 7:17:26 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I live next door in Sachse, so I'm getting a kick out of these replies....
We have a few SWAT trained officers on our force and we see our share of crazy out here.  As for the generalization that we're out in the sticks, think again...  these areas are growing faster than most of the nation and with it comes the growing pains...  gang incursions, the thriving meth industry, home invasions, etc.
Sure, it's no war zone, but I know some of these officers and I hear more about what they've been facing last few years...  things are changing.  Just last night some knucklehead went in loud (shots fired) to rob a business right off 78 at 9:30pm.  These are not barking dog calls anymore.  When the situation warrants, these guys deserve to have some cover without waiting for the cavalry to come all the way from Big D.  Sure, it's a big departure from what we're used to seeing, and some valid points have been raised about the trends, but I stand with Doc on this one, better to have it and not need it...  

Oh, and I know it might seem silly to worry about what it takes to protect water treatment facilities at first glance, but you "experts" should take a closer look at what gets stored there before passing judgment...  I live a few miles away and I know it's of concern for me... I'm, glad they're taking steps.

Anyway, my 2 cents
I call shotgun!
When they gonna train Sachse CERT to drive it?!?!?!  LOL
View Quote

Care to expand?
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 7:24:18 AM EDT
[#16]
Ask the Syrians...

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702303380004579520002391710302?mg=reno64-wsj&url=http%3A%2F%2Fonline.wsj.com%2Farticle%2FSB10001424052702303380004579520002391710302.html

http://publicintelligence.net/ules-dhs-wastewater-treatment-facility-vulnerabilities-and-terrorist-indicators-reports/
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 7:57:55 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Ask the Syrians...

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702303380004579520002391710302?mg=reno64-wsj&url=http%3A%2F%2Fonline.wsj.com%2Farticle%2FSB10001424052702303380004579520002391710302.html

http://publicintelligence.net/ules-dhs-wastewater-treatment-facility-vulnerabilities-and-terrorist-indicators-reports/
View Quote

How does an MRAP protect from terrorists poisioning the water supply?
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 8:01:13 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Ask the Syrians...

made hot

made hot
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 8:37:36 AM EDT
[#19]
No!  Jeeze obviously I pay Collin County taxes but not Wylie...and as for options - there are others.  Each time my brother's TNG Combat Engineer company has been deployed to the sandbox they have had to leave their equipment behind and come home shorthanded.  Why can't these MRAP's go to the guard?  

Also (since someone already said you can't believe what you read on Wikipedia)..anyways Wiki says these are in effect on loan.  That the DOD still owns them.  Is that true?

If so (and this requires one to believe that the federal authorities don't always act in the "we the people's" best interest) but do you think that all departments that take these vehicles on loan from Uncle Sam would under a national emergency or declared period of martial law refuse a demand from Homeland Security to afix something to said MRAPs to be used for crowd/riot control?  You can say no all you want and I have no doubt many police departments would (especially those in Texas) - but this could be a slippery slope indeed.

Earl

Quoted:
i guess im still having trouble with the parts in red, are you saying you pay Plano and Wylie taxes?  if you are i would throw a smooth fit over at the collin central appraisal district office
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Earl

Quoted:
Quoted:

Earl

Link Posted: 4/25/2014 8:39:55 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Each time my brother's TNG Combat Engineer company has been deployed to the sandbox they have had to leave their equipment behind and come home shorthanded.  Why can't these MRAP's go to the guard?  

View Quote

Cost is why the MRAPs, and most other equipment in AFG is not being shipped home.

Why the MRAPs here in US are not offered/taken to the Guard, I do not know. My guess is they do not want the cost of maintaining something they do not need, since there is little IED threat on US roads.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 9:59:30 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
No!  Jeeze obviously I pay Collin County taxes but not Wylie...and as for options - there are others.  Each time my brother's TNG Combat Engineer company has been deployed to the sandbox they have had to leave their equipment behind and come home shorthanded.  Why can't these MRAP's go to the guard?  

Also (since someone already said you can't believe what you read on Wikipedia)..anyways Wiki says these are in effect on loan.  That the DOD still owns them.  Is that true?

If so (and this requires one to believe that the federal authorities don't always act in the "we the people's" best interest) but do you think that all departments that take these vehicles on loan from Uncle Sam would under a national emergency or declared period of martial law refuse a demand from Homeland Security to afix something to said MRAPs to be used for crowd/riot control?  You can say no all you want and I have no doubt many police departments would (especially those in Texas) - but this could be a slippery slope indeed.
View Quote

All property surplussed from the DOD is subject to be recalled at any time. Guns, uniforms, night vision, vehicles, body armor, etc.

It's also possible that the government could tell us to all jump on the sides of our MRAPS and go park them side by side at each border town and drive south to annex cities.

We can what if tin foil silliness all we want...
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 10:16:45 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Earl

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Earl

Quoted:
Quoted:

Earl

Quoted:
Quoted:

Earl

whew!! had me worried for a second. let me set your mind at ease. the city of wylie recieves no money from collin county to run city operations in regards to fleet and fleet maintenance. yes the mrap is on loan from the DOD but, so is almost every tank sitting in front of your local vfw, and almost every modern military aircraft in private museums, armor in museums, and a shitton of military weapons behind glass in museums, a lot of equipment is also on loan from the DOD to fire departments. it really is not an uncommon practice and has been done this way for the better part of the last century.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 11:14:58 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

Terrorists are trying to weaponize zebra mussels. Both the North Koreans and Iranians are hard at work on the programs.

Link Posted: 4/25/2014 11:24:28 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

They are not trying to protect the treatment facilities or even the water sources, as almost all of those are located outside the city of Wylie. They are protecting the corporate offices.

Wylie is also home to the North Texas Municipal Water District that supplies water to more than 1.5 million people in 60 cities...a critical facility to protect.

The person who posted that in defense of buying a MRAP is dumber than a box of rocks.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 11:50:22 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

They are not trying to protect the treatment facilities or even the water sources, as almost all of those are located outside the city of Wylie. They are protecting the corporate offices.

Wylie is also home to the North Texas Municipal Water District that supplies water to more than 1.5 million people in 60 cities...a critical facility to protect.

The person who posted that in defense of buying a MRAP is dumber than a box of rocks.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

i agree it is a weak argument, btw they arent bying the mrap
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 11:51:12 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Terrorists are trying to weaponize zebra mussels. Both the North Koreans and Iranians are hard at work on the programs.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

this exactly
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 11:51:24 AM EDT
[#27]
double
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top