Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/22/2014 6:40:28 AM EDT
City council considering anti gun measure, making it illegal to concealed carry at a "government led" meeting. $500 fine.  Meeting is tonight. Guess it's time to go out and be heard.

Amending the "Miscellaneous Offenses" Chapter of the Code of the City of Arlington
An ordinance amending the “Miscellaneous Offenses” Chapter of the Code of the City of Arlington, Texas, 1987, through the amendment of Article I, Miscellaneous Offenses, by the addition of Section 1.075, Weapons Prohibited at Public Meetings, relative to carrying or possession of a weapon or simulated weapon at meetings of governmental bodies within the City; providing for a fine of up to $500 for each violation of the ordinance; providing this ordinance be cumulative; providing for severability; providing for governmental immunity, injunctions, publication and an effective date.

From the "meeting minutes here:
http://www.arlingtontx.gov/citycouncil/agenda.html

please come out and be heard

Link Posted: 4/22/2014 7:58:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Well if it will be illegal to conceal carry guess I can open carry my AR
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 8:07:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Can you give time and location, I will make every effort to attend.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 8:19:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Can you give time and location, I will make every effort to attend.
View Quote

6:30 PM
101 W. Abram St.

bldg used to have tax office in it for license plates and such.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 8:23:04 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm going to write up a 2 minute speech and sign up.

If these folks are afraid of their constituents who LEGALLY exercise their Rights they should reanalyze their choice of employment.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 8:31:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Wouldn't this law be invalid due to Texas' state exemption on firearm laws?
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 8:40:13 AM EDT
[#6]
I don't live in Arlington, but if I don't get called out for work today I'll come sit in on it tonight. Will be in a black Glock polo.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 8:41:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Tell that to San Antonio...

Valid or not, attempting to chip away at the Rights of the People is inexcusable.

I plan to show today, try to speak and will definitely vote accordingly next cycle.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 8:45:41 AM EDT
[#8]
As confirmation, 101 Abrams looks to be the same building that houses the Public Library at the corner of Center/Abrams?
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 8:54:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Huh?

All they have to do is put up a 30.06 sign and it goes from $500 civil to criminal offense.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 9:21:35 AM EDT
[#10]

So, they are really afraid of people who basically have an ongoing background check by DPS?
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 9:44:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Huh?

All they have to do is put up a 30.06 sign and it goes from $500 civil to criminal offense.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Huh?

Right, unless it's a government owned building.

But they wouldn't do that. That drives people away. A simple fine gets some money in the city's pocket.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 1:34:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Huh?

You would be charged under 46.035, not 30.06.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 2:44:20 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

City council considering anti gun measure, making it illegal to concealed carry at a "government led" meeting. $500 fine.  Meeting is tonight. Guess it's time to go out and be heard.

Amending the "Miscellaneous Offenses" Chapter of the Code of the City of Arlington

An ordinance amending the "Miscellaneous Offenses” Chapter of the Code of the City of Arlington, Texas, 1987, through the amendment of Article I, Miscellaneous Offenses, by the addition of Section 1.075, Weapons Prohibited at Public Meetings, relative to carrying or possession of a weapon or simulated weapon at meetings of governmental bodies within the City; providing for a fine of up to $500 for each violation of the ordinance; providing this ordinance be cumulative; providing for severability; providing for governmental immunity, injunctions, publication and an effective date.

View Quote

Errr TXI will chime in soon I assume but any city council meetings are already offlimits for CHL holders under current law under the goverment-meeting section.

Link Posted: 4/22/2014 2:48:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Errr TXI will chime in soon I assume but any city council meetings are already offlimits for CHL holders under current law under the goverment-meeting section.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

An ordinance amending the "Miscellaneous Offenses” Chapter of the Code of the City of Arlington, Texas, 1987, through the amendment of Article I, Miscellaneous Offenses, by the addition of Section 1.075, Weapons Prohibited at Public Meetings, relative to carrying or possession of a weapon or simulated weapon at meetings of governmental bodies within the City; providing for a fine of up to $500 for each violation of the ordinance; providing this ordinance be cumulative; providing for severability; providing for governmental immunity, injunctions, publication and an effective date.

As I pointed out if 30.06 is given.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 3:24:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Back row to the far right of enterance, blue dress shirt and grey slacks.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 1:10:47 AM EDT
[#16]
Its Arlington.  You GOTTA carry.
Its on the signs coming in and outta town!!!
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:18:53 AM EDT
[#17]
So some JackAss Open Carried an AR-15?

No wonder it passed unopposed.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:55:32 AM EDT
[#18]
"Just because you can does not mean you should"

Where does this put the "movement" now...2 steps forward and 4 step back?
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 9:08:09 AM EDT
[#19]
It was once said California was one of the first States to get serious about gun control,  because the Black Panthers started showing up at the capital bearing arms during congressional debates.   Governor Ronald Reagan signed the resulting gun control initiative readily.

Ask yourself - are you helping,  or just being an intimidating ass?  Better yet,  ask a random person that.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 9:11:07 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

Probably. These guys need to learn sublety. The "in your face" style will just make them more resistant to the idea of open carry.
It is a right, but some discretion needs to be employed before enough antis lobby to restrict it further.
Walking into Walmart with an AR strapped to your back for no reason other than to show you can isn't going to make many friends. Especially if the public isn't informed about what is going on.
Open carry of a long gun is legal but hasn't been customary in public for a long time. People just aren't used to sering it and it makes them nervous. Scaring people will hurt more than it helps.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 11:51:30 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are correct!

I hate TX gun laws.

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 2:06:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Probably. These guys need to learn sublety. The "in your face" style will just make them more resistant to the idea of open carry.
It is a right, but some discretion needs to be employed before enough antis lobby to restrict it further.
Walking into Walmart with an AR strapped to your back for no reason other than to show you can isn't going to make many friends. Especially if the public isn't informed about what is going on.
Open carry of a long gun is legal but hasn't been customary in public for a long time. People just aren't used to sering it and it makes them nervous. Scaring people will hurt more than it helps.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Absolutely.

Gary Kleck talks about 'anti-gunners' opposition to guns being fueled by a distaste to the culture associated with them; 'culture conflict.' Southern, hunters, conservative, etc. Polls even show Americans don't even believe gun control is a method for crime control; or that it might even reduce crime.

So with this in consideration... all these open carry movement idiots are doing nothing but enforcing negative opinions.

If you are one of them... reevaluate your position.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top