Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/19/2014 7:54:50 PM EDT
I plan on traveling to Houston in early May/June, just wondering what are the laws on CCW in Texas and reciprocity laws between FL and TX? I have a CCW from Florida and I don't like traveling with out my side arms. I also plan on taking my Colt M4's to hopefully find a range in Houston.

Any links or state law lead would be appreciated...for CCW and rifle.

Thank you,
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 7:59:32 PM EDT
[#1]
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BxTMRmH1_7NEdWFjUDl1VWIwb0E/edit
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 9:05:02 PM EDT
[#2]
in TX you can legally CC in your vehicle at 18 without a permit. We recognize your CHL here. If pulled over, law says you are required to show ID, and notify if armed when asked. Law also does not provide any punishment if you fail to do so. However, they might drag you off and make life costly and annoying for a few days. Best to just let em know, cops in TX are familiar with CHL business.Then again, having an out of state permit, you may be better off not saying anything.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 11:40:51 AM EDT
[#3]
For the M4s at a range question, any idea where in Houston you'll be and what kind of shooting you'd like to do?
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 12:03:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 6:03:30 PM EDT
[#5]
I really appreciate all of the info, I will be in/near Magnolia/Spring, TX, if you have any info on either indoor or outdoor ranges,

Thanks again,
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 2:52:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I really appreciate all of the info, I will be in/near Magnolia/Spring, TX, if you have any info on either indoor or outdoor ranges,

Thanks again,
View Quote

There are three that I know of.
Thunder
Thunder gun range
Gander Mountain
Gander Mountain
Carter Country
Carter Country

Thunder and Carter are outdoor ranges.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 4:04:59 AM EDT
[#7]

These are good sites I've used in the past. What I've found is that most states only differ on a few things.

When signage is valid. [ 30.06 sign and red 51% signs are the only valid ones in TX. ]
When you are required to notify LEO you're armed. [ Notify if asked in TX ]
Restaurants vs. Bars [ Red 51% sign is a no go in TX. ]
Limits on drinking and being armed. [ Do Not Carry in TX if you've had any alcohol to drink. ]

I make myself a cheat sheet of state to state variations and review them when I cross borders.

Enjoy yourself.

Link Posted: 4/21/2014 5:15:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

These are good sites I've used in the past. What I've found is that most states only differ on a few things.

When signage is valid. [ 30.06 sign and red 51% signs are the only valid ones in TX. ]
Limits on drinking and being armed. [ Do Not Carry in TX if you've had any alcohol to drink. ]

I make myself a cheat sheet of state to state variations and review them when I cross borders.

Enjoy yourself.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Enjoy yourself.

A couple of small corrections...,,  One must display the handgun license if a Peace Officer demands you ID yourself.  

One cannot carry in a 51% location regardless of signage.  

The law does not prevent one from being armed while drinking.  One cannot carry while intoxicated.  

OP, I wrote this guide for you....
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 3:55:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

A couple of small corrections...,,  One must display the handgun license if a Peace Officer demands you ID yourself.  

The law does not prevent one from being armed while drinking.  One cannot carry while intoxicated.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Enjoy yourself.

Thanks, I see how my wording was less than accurate. Your guide is excellent.

I was thinking about LA while I was writing. IIRC, in LA, the ones that stick out in my mind are: you must notify LEO with out being asked that you're armed when they approach. Before they ask for ID. All "no guns" signs are valid. I would suggest you look at the Handgun Law websites for specifics.

My main point is that many states are the same but with exceptions in a few notable areas. Know what those differences are.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top