Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/10/2014 4:36:58 PM EDT
I got about two weeks worth of work down there. From what I am reading, it's not a place to be out after dark and go site seeing by yourself? Anyone got any real world experience down there?

Level III or level IV armor recommended?
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 5:44:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Haven't spent much time in the area in recent years, but as far as the RGV goes, my experience was that Mission was about the safest area in the Valley.  I have no idea what you mean about sightseeing after dark.  

Link Posted: 4/10/2014 6:02:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Working sun up to the sun down and then going out to grab a drink or two.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 6:24:41 PM EDT
[#3]
I wouldn't go across the border after dark if that is what you mean.   "Downtown" McAllen or Mission?  No problem as long as you are responsible.  
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 4:44:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I wouldn't go across the border after dark if that is what you mean.   "Downtown" McAllen or Mission?  No problem as long as you are responsible.  
View Quote

Usually it's work all day, eat dinner/grab a drink, then head back to the motel, rinse, repeat the next however many days.

I didn't know if there was any special instructions since it's on the border. I know being out after dark outside of downtown areas is a probably not a good idea.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 6:58:22 AM EDT
[#5]
If it were me, I would work in Mission but eat, drink, sleep in McAllen. Mission is a great little town but you'll probably have more fun in McAllen (they're not very far apart). North 10th and Nolana in McAllen area seems to have alot going on.....
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 8:22:05 AM EDT
[#6]
I live out in the mission area it can be interesting at times but I do feel pretty safe with my CHL
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 4:22:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I live out in the mission area it can be interesting at times but I do feel pretty safe with my CHL
View Quote

All but one guy on our crew has a chl.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 4:33:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Pfft.  Mission is nothing.  You'll be fine so long as you don't make yourself a target.  I work in the RGV at all hours of the day & night and have never had a problem.  You don't need any armor and if you wear it, you'll be making yourself a target for other reasons.  There's a shitload of LEO's in the Mission area, FWIW.  As far as food goes, there's lots of great places on 10th in McAllen.  

Now, you wanna have some fun??  Go down to Hildago and bring your body armor, some rifles, some friend with rifles, and lots of ammo.  
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 6:11:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Mission is not a bad place and you will be fine.  What kind of vehicle are you all bringing with you?
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 6:36:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Mission is not a bad place and you will be fine.  What kind of vehicle are you all bringing with you giving to the Cartel?
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/15/2014 4:39:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks guys for all the input. Good to hear i am not going to be going to a "war zone" as the wife called it.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 2:23:51 PM EDT
[#12]
I worked in Mission/McAllen last year @ 4 months.  I like the area.  The food is great.  You have a few wanta be kid gang bangers.  But I nver once felt threatened in any way.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 7:04:42 AM EDT
[#13]
I've been down there before for a week long stay.

Never felt concerned for my safety.
Did keep a close eye on everything of course.

Really I think Dallas/Ft.Worth is more dangerous than the whole Rio Grande Valley combined.

Stay on our side of the river and you will be OK...
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 11:29:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Here's my Archived thread. I wanted to bump it but I can't so I hope you don't mind me tagging along in your thread.
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_8_8/551502_.html
And Another about McAllen/Mission.
https://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=8&f=8&t=320094

I'm moving to McAllen permanently in a few weeks for Aviation related work. I'm going to be renting so if anyone has first hand knowledge of a good and bad areas, I'd really appreciate it. It seems there are some good places in McAllen and Edinburg but the rent for houses is out of my budget of 700-900/mo. I can swing 1000 but I'm trying to account for the $300+/mo electric bill. There are plenty of cheap places but I'm leary of Pharr, Mission, Alamo, and some parts of McAllen.

Link Posted: 4/27/2014 6:09:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Here's my Archived thread. I wanted to bump it but I can't so I hope you don't mind me tagging along in your thread.
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_8_8/551502_.html
And Another about McAllen/Mission.
https://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=8&f=8&t=320094

I'm moving to McAllen permanently in a few weeks for Aviation related work. I'm going to be renting so if anyone has first hand knowledge of a good and bad areas, I'd really appreciate it. It seems there are some good places in McAllen and Edinburg but the rent for houses is out of my budget of 700-900/mo. I can swing 1000 but I'm trying to account for the $300+/mo electric bill. There are plenty of cheap places but I'm leary of Pharr, Mission, Alamo, and some parts of McAllen.

View Quote

You probably wouldnt like south pharr, alamo or south mcallen around 23rd.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 10:30:21 AM EDT
[#16]
I live in edinburg by 107 and jackson. Nice area and theres places for rent. I live in a new complex across from the peter piper. Very nice,  few LEOs and BP live in there too.
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 4:36:30 AM EDT
[#17]
So where is good places to eat around mission?

Any border check points around there I can "am I being detained?"
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 5:24:34 AM EDT
[#18]
I like Poncho's restaurant there are several locations around the valley and they got a pretty good botana.
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 5:12:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Looks like I'll get to sample all the food in the area. This rain shut our job down.

So I saw the BP checkpoint on 281 in falfurrias and there is one on 83 East of McAllen. This is the first time I will be dealing with them. How do yall handle it?
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 6:57:59 PM EDT
[#20]
I used to go to progresso all the time for dental work. Never had ANY problem in Mexico ...but when going back home to north Texas. I was treated like public enemy #1 by the Falfurrias border patrol. Got the same treatment on the checkpoint on highway 77 near Kingsville.
Link Posted: 6/4/2014 12:39:01 PM EDT
[#21]
I will say that now since I am back home, mission is very nice and not what I expected. If you take away the palm tree, you couldn't tell the difference between mission and Dallas other than the sun is a whole lot more intense.

Anyone ever go into Reynosa for prescriptions or antibiotics?
Link Posted: 6/4/2014 12:52:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Mission is not a bad place and you will be fine.  What kind of vehicle are you all bringing with you giving to the Cartel?

Link Posted: 6/4/2014 7:09:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I will say that now since I am back home, mission is very nice and not what I expected. If you take away the palm tree, you couldn't tell the difference between mission and Dallas other than the sun is a whole lot more intense.

View Quote

Like to hear that answer myself.  But do not try to bring back narcotics like pain pills, Ritalin etc.
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 3:00:08 AM EDT
[#24]
Do Not! go to Reynosa but the little tow of Progresso is o.k. jus stay on the main drag and mind your manners and you will be ok. don't at a fool and don't stay after dark .I been going  for abut 15 years never had any problems .
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 4:29:52 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Like to hear that answer myself.  But do not try to bring back narcotics like pain pills, Ritalin etc.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My main goal is testosterone. That shit is expensive and insurance doesn't want to even touch it.
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 6:06:55 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

My main goal is testosterone. That shit is expensive and insurance doesn't want to even touch it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Probably just as bad.  My cousin got popped with a bunch of pain pills and Test coming back from Mexico.  He nearly did federal time but got lucky and only lost his car and had to plead out to a federal felony.  

Test Cyp is roughly $60 for a 10mL vial with an Rx.  If you're paying cash shop around or try the site goodrx.com
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 7:28:29 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Probably just as bad.  My cousin got popped with a bunch of pain pills and Test coming back from Mexico.  He nearly did federal time but got lucky and only lost his car and had to plead out to a federal felony.  

Test Cyp is roughly $60 for a 10mL vial with an Rx.  If you're paying cash shop around or try the site goodrx.com
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I do appreciate the advice. Mine was $120 cash but I didn't have a chance to shop around. I live in a small rual town so my pharmacy choices are very limited.
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 5:29:12 AM EDT
[#28]
Well, border patrol just served and protected the shit out of me.

Driving North to falfurrias pulling my gooseneck trailer guy asks me if we were American citizen in which I replied I am. He then asked if they could search the vehicle let and I told them no, not without a warrant. They said Ok and we need to proceed to secondary. Pulled forward and waited for 15 minutes and finally they come back and again they say they need to search my vehicle and again I said not without a warrant. They said they do not because their dog alerted to our vehicle which now allows to search without a warrant. I replied back and how fucking convenient. The dog never alerted because I watched them as they walked around the first time.

Hey fucktard. The border is fucking 70 miles that way!
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 5:36:25 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Well, border patrol just served and protected the shit out of me.

Driving North to falfurrias pulling my gooseneck trailer guy asks me if we were American citizen in which I replied I am. He then asked if they could search the vehicle let and I told them no, not without a warrant. They said Ok and we need to proceed to secondary. Pulled forward and waited for 15 minutes and finally they come back and again they say they need to search my vehicle and again I said not without a warrant. They said they do not because their dog alerted to our vehicle which now allows to search without a warrant. I replied back and how fucking convenient. The dog never alerted because I watched them as they walked around the first time.

Hey fucktard. The border is fucking 70 miles that way!
View Quote

I guess they can mess with actual citizens but not the illegals.
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 5:41:49 AM EDT
[#30]
Kind of what I am thinking. They had the dog jumping on the side of my truck and I told him to get his dog the fuck off my truck. I was about to come unglued!
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 5:55:14 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Kind of what I am thinking. They had the dog jumping on the side of my truck and I told him to get his dog the fuck off my truck. I was about to come unglued!
View Quote

Good to know,  If I were you and got stopped again I'd film the entire encounter, what a bunch of a#%holes.  Unfortunately, when they're close to the border they think they can do whatever they want.  Tread carefully and cover your ass.  This has been going on for a long time Obama just continued it, either way it's bullshit.  

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/01/13/constitution-free-zones-controversial-obama-administration-policy/

http://www.wired.com/2008/10/aclu-assails-10/
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 6:00:58 AM EDT
[#32]
Thankfully it's my last trip down here as we completed our job yesterday.

What's bad is its a really nice area and never once did I feel in danger. It's alot cleaner than tyler/Longview in my opinion.

I did however have a few things with me just in case. The hotel we stayed at was one the state troopers are using and holy shit there were alot of them. Any given time there was 15 challengers or tahoes. They were all volunteers throughout the state and could tell they were frustrated.
Link Posted: 6/27/2014 3:23:29 AM EDT
[#33]
I hope you drank a bunch of tea for me. I've been trying to match that blend for 20 years and never did. But got kind of close once.
Link Posted: 6/27/2014 7:30:34 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I hope you drank a bunch of tea for me. I've been trying to match that blend for 20 years and never did. But got kind of close once.
View Quote

Am I missing something?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top